Thoughts on letting go... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 02-12-2007, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This has really got me thinking! The Bundt pan is such a perfect example of all the things you feel like you should keep 'just in case' you need it someday.

I have a box in a closet that has a quilt that was cut out wrong, wrong enough it cannot be used, and it has been with me for almost 10 years. I don't even like it and I never think about trying to do anything with it. That will have to go.

Then there is the box in the basement of all the fancy baking pans(I don't think there is a bundt pan in there ). I have actually used them, but I couldn't even tell you what is in that box right now. I think it is time to go through and keep what I will really use and let go of the rest.

I am trying to get rid of things we don't use and pass them on to those who could use them, I found the TP here a couple weeks ago and it is wonderful! I am ready for a nice house with only things we use and love inside!

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#32 of 34 Old 02-12-2007, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptownzoo
OMG, you just hit my personal nail on the head! I've done massive decluttering in the past 3 1/2 years. We're now living pretty sanely, 7 people in 1800 sq feet, which I think is a huge accomplishment. But there's definitely some Bundt pans around here. The main one is my knitting stuff. I would love to be a knitter. Knitters make such pretty stuff, and seem like such nice, friendly people. I would like to be a pretty stuff-making, nice, friendly person. But I hate to knit. I don't like yarn. I find the whole process frustrating. I am truly inspired. I'm giving away all my yarn, needles, and books TODAY. I've never finished a single project, anyway. Not even a potholder!
Good for you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookel View Post
But you know, you're actually lucky in this regard, because if you did like yarn, you would find yourself buying huge, endless piles of yarn because it's so pretty and you just know you're going to make something with it someday.

I think this is my problem. I like designing knitted items and choosing yarns to go with patterns, and I love yarn, but the actual work of making all those stitches by hand ... um, it's kind of tiring. :

I love this thread, by the way. I am trying to decide what my personal "bundt pans" are. I don't think I have any actual bundt pans, but I'm sure if I start looking in the kitchen, I'll dig up all kinds of interesting gourmet tools I've never used.
ITA - I just took up knitting in November and the piles of yarn have snuck in, I think maybe under the door or through the ventilation system, I'm not sure which .... But, for me not a bundt pan, I knitting a ton of scarves for xmas presents, so that's okay. I just need to figure out how to seal the cracks in this house that the yarn keeps getting in through. Or maybe call some sort of yarn control service...

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#33 of 34 Old 02-12-2007, 06:40 PM

I actually have the same problem with alcohol. I joke that I have a drinking problem ... the problem is I buy it and don't drink it! I guess that's a different issue from the bundt pan problem ... collecting things that you do actually use, but will never need in the kind of quantity you have.
#34 of 34 Old 02-12-2007, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookel View Post
I actually have the same problem with alcohol. I joke that I have a drinking problem ... the problem is I buy it and don't drink it! I guess that's a different issue from the bundt pan problem ... collecting things that you do actually use, but will never need in the kind of quantity you have.
Yeah we had that problem. A huge amount of alcohol collected during a time when we had parties, etc. Back in the day our group of friends had a 'box' of alcohol that came to all the parties and it just ended up at our house when the group transitioned into the post-partying phase of life. We ended up just contributing to my parents bar since they do drink a lot and they can offer it to friends, etc. We only keep a few of the things we'll have a glass of now and again at home.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page