Thoughts on letting go... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 02-11-2007, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had this thought on the bundt pan thread, but I think it was buried in the recipes and what nots and it was really about more than bundt pans, I thought I'd post it here:

The Bundt Pan is the perfect example of something you never use but feel like you need to keep it.

For me, the "bundt pan" (which I probably own somewhere in my many packed goods) is something that represents the person I want to be, but am not. I want to be someone who makes wonderful cakes in pretty bundt pans. But I never have. So I keep the bundt pan hoping I will be that person.

Maybe I should say to myself: WHEN I am that person and when I want to bake something in a bundt pan, I give myself liberty to just go right out and buy one, that minute, without worrying about how much money I've wasted by getting rid of the one I had and buying one at the last minute. Its probably a very small price to pay for the freedom of not keeping all the "Bundt Pans" in my life. There are so many things I keep because I hope I will be the type of person that will use them. I might someday be that person for one or two of the items, and yes I'll go buy another one, but considering how much I'll gain by not being weighed down by the others. I need to give myself the freedom to let go of the rest.

I also think all the "Bundt Pan"s weigh us down mentally. Every time I see it I am reminded that I am not the type of person who cooks bundt cakes, though I want to be. It's almost like a criticism in physical form. I need to let go of that, I do not want to be reminded that I am not the person I think I want to be on a regular basis and be free to be who I am.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#2 of 34 Old 02-11-2007, 02:03 AM

One person's Bundt pan is another person's watercolor set (or whatever), right?
There may be things in our homes that we haven't taken the time to find out if they really might be a nice part of our lives- or if they are destined to enhance someone else's life. Set up a time to give whatever it is a few tries- or let it go now.
#3 of 34 Old 02-11-2007, 02:29 AM

Umm, lets see,
my bread machine
my sewing machine
my guitar
I am not sure when I will ever get to making my bread everyday, and really if I am not doing it with a bread machine, am I ever going to do it by hand?
I am really good at pretending I can sew, but I can't.
And that guitar. I so wish I could teach myself to play, or have time for lessons. But I have to be honest with myself and know that with kids and how young they are it isn't going to happen anytime soon. The biggest thing, is that I can let go of these things. But my dh can't see to let go of them when I will want them back one day. My life is kinda on hold right now, I am fine with that. But he doesn't see why it needs to be that way. I have my few things, like yarn crafts, reading, things that are very non stressful that I do in my free time. I have quite a few bundt pans I guess.
#4 of 34 Old 02-11-2007, 02:35 AM

i know what you mean by this. here are two thoughts that i had recently about items i struggle to let go off:

"would i buy it today?" meaning, do i really like this enough that if i spotted it today, would i buy it?

"can i get this, again if i need it?" the bundt pan would be a great example. i could get one of those for free on freecycle or for 25 cents at a thrift store or just borrow one from the neighbor for that special cake. KWIM?

part of letting go of "future use" items or sentimental items for me is part of not living in the present. i need to live in the present and be here now. not worrying about where i will hopefully be in a year (master seamstress) or where i was 8 years ago (fitting into clothes that i have no business wearing now b/c i would have to stop eating, again). just my thoughts. thanks!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#5 of 34 Old 02-11-2007, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter

To me the items I'm thinking of were never used. I think of the bundt pan differently from say my scrapbooking stuff. I haven't scrapbooked in years, but I want to get back to it - but it is a part of who I am. The bundt pan is more like a dream of who I could be - not a real focus or even hobby - I am not a big cook.

Hmm, trying to think of what else I have like that. Since we moved and have been slowly unpacking, most of that sort of stuff is probably still packed away. I did get rid of a lot of it in the move - backpacking gear, climbing equipment. I think my bike probably qualifies - I've owned it only 10 years now and ridden it all of once.... but I really want to be that person... heh!

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#6 of 34 Old 02-11-2007, 03:41 AM

Hehe. The bundt pans of life. I love it.

Mine are the business-style clothes (for the sahm who has only ever worked retail, or waitressed in a uniform)
Many shades of make-up (You can tell I'm feeling 'up' if I wear a tiny bit once a week)
Sewing projects/fabric-I've been 'planning to learn' for something like a decade now
Art supplies. Pretty colored pencils, different kinds of paper, ribbon, stickers, etc..

No matter how often I declutter, how ruthless I am and get rid of it all, these are the things that inevitably creep back into my life. Some of us want to be the next Martha with fancy cakes, some of us aspire to wonderful hand made creations (while looking very put together in snappy clothes)
#7 of 34 Old 02-11-2007, 09:14 AM

I just threw a MamaBlessing for my best friend and tore the house apart trying to find my "bundt pans" like beading supplies and stamping stuff/art supplies. I actually used the stuff! It was great being able to make it work with what I had without having to run to another store. I love it.
#8 of 34 Old 02-11-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo View Post
I also think all the "Bundt Pan"s weigh us down mentally. Every time I see it I am reminded that I am not the type of person who cooks bundt cakes, though I want to be. It's almost like a criticism in physical form. I need to let go of that, I do not want to be reminded that I am not the person I think I want to be on a regular basis and be free to be who I am.
This is poetic, MM. It really hit home for me. There are many things in my home (despite the great decluttering rampage of '07) that totally fit this bill ... there's the Waterford water pitcher, the fancy black sweater with the furry neck ... the size 14 jeans I haven't been able to wear since my wedding ... you get the idea. You *really* get the idea!!

Thanks for the fabulous insight, Momma!
#9 of 34 Old 02-11-2007, 11:44 AM

Wow great post. I have such a hard time letting go.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#10 of 34 Old 02-11-2007, 12:06 PM

That's a really great way to express it. I read a similar idea several years in a book. The author talked about letting go of all of the ghosts of the past.

A few weeks ago, I got rid of the two bikes that had been haunting me since I purchased them 4 years ago. It's so nice to pull into my carport and not have them glaring at me.
#11 of 34 Old 02-11-2007, 02:12 PM

LOL I'm giving my bundt pan to my fil Literally
#12 of 34 Old 02-11-2007, 02:21 PM

What an interesting thread, and a very poetic and freeing thought MM. Not to toss a cog in the wheel but, why not bake a cake and donate it along with a recipe, then send that pan on its way. Then you will be the woman who made a bundt cake in a wonderful pan and moved on to better things.

I should add that I have done this recently, I found a beautiful sweater that I adore but never wear, I put it on... for the day. Pranced around feeling fab. in my Diva Attire. Then I gingerly folded my loved and neglected garmet. I passed it on to another. SIlly, I now but it made parting a little easier.
#13 of 34 Old 02-11-2007, 02:22 PM

This was very helpful to me (in my e-mail box from another thread):

Quote:
browneyedsol has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Feng Shui (includes links to old threads!) - in the Spirituality forum of MotheringDotCommune Forums.

This thread is located at:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...8&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
I cross posted this to Treasure Mapping, as I brought up the issue of letting go of clutter and grief. I picked up a Natural Home magazine today at the co-op. There's a great little article in here. Ask and you shall receive! This is what I needed today. The article title is: 3 Steps to Clutter Free Living by Misty McNally. I'm usually pretty skeptical about simple step by step things, but this little article works for me. I'm absolutely clear that what people are looking for, definitely including me, is meaning--and not stuff. So, here's what really resonated with me about why it is so hard to get rid of stuff:

"An awful lot of the stuff we have-and I'm not talking about one or two things, I'm talking about 50 percent--we literally never use and are never planning to use again, but can't let go of. *They are basically objects in which we've invested dreams that didn't happen.* It's very difficult to let go of the dreams, even though we know that they didn't actually bring us the satisfaction we were hoping for."

This helps me better understand my grief process as I sit at the shredder and bag the excess in my house for letting go. Hope it helps someone here
That quote encouraged me to LET GO (give away to a Doula friend who is using it as part of her lending library) of a huge pile of Pregnancy Books. I have a dream of opening up a Pregnancy Support place, but I'm not close to being ready to actually work on it. So it was kind of a painful reminder of being a "failure" without even trying (I am afraid to try).

I told myself when I want to have it (a lending library) I can and will get it all back, without problems.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#14 of 34 Old 02-11-2007, 02:26 PM

Thank you so much for starting this thread! Very wise and wonderful insight.

I'd like to add a thought... Sometimes the bundt cake pans can take up so much space that you leave no room to allow other parts of you to grow. Releasing the 'should be' can provide the clarity needed to see what really could be. Perhaps you are meant to be a woman that makes muffins!

Off to let go of some of my own bundt pans...

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#15 of 34 Old 02-11-2007, 03:03 PM

What a great thread! Lots to think about.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#16 of 34 Old 02-11-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilacmoon View Post
What an interesting thread, and a very poetic and freeing thought MM. Not to toss a cog in the wheel but, why not bake a cake and donate it along with a recipe, then send that pan on its way. Then you will be the woman who made a bundt cake in a wonderful pan and moved on to better things.

I should add that I have done this recently, I found a beautiful sweater that I adore but never wear, I put it on... for the day. Pranced around feeling fab. in my Diva Attire. Then I gingerly folded my loved and neglected garmet. I passed it on to another. SIlly, I now but it made parting a little easier.
What a great idea Sort of showing yourself yes I could be this person if I chose to. What a great concept.

Mom to DD 14 and DS 12
#17 of 34 Old 02-11-2007, 04:18 PM

This is a wonderful thread, what great insight. I've been working hard on accepting the same thing and getting rid of that my "bundt pans." It's very difficult! This totally sums up my thinking on it:

Quote:
Maybe I should say to myself: WHEN I am that person and when I want to bake something in a bundt pan, I give myself liberty to just go right out and buy one, that minute, without worrying about how much money I've wasted by getting rid of the one I had and buying one at the last minute.
I call it stuff karma. Either it will find its way back to me when I need it, or I'll be allowed to go buy it.

On a side note, though, I bake all my cakes in my bundt pan because it's just easier, I think I find them easier to frost that way. Maybe I need to release my layer cake pans instead :

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#18 of 34 Old 02-11-2007, 06:18 PM

Bundt pan aside , I recently gave away a box of plastic summer entertaining stuff that had been given to me for years from my sisters. Big plastic trays, bowls shaped like shells. Now, I love in Buffalo, not Hawaii. We entertain in the summer, but not big splashy parties... usually the kids b day parties. The plastic serverware made me me feel that I was expected to throw these kinds of parties that would warrant such items. They take up a lot of room, I don't like plastic very much and I had *never* used them. My family will just have to eat chips from baskets as we've always done. It was freeing to let them go.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#19 of 34 Old 02-11-2007, 09:47 PM

What a great post!

How often the 'bundt pans' in our life do take up our physical space but also load us down emotionally!

Funny thing I got rid of my bundt pan and springform pans last year as I finally realized I just wouldn't get around to using them. Now my juicer that's another thing, it sounded great and yet it was so hard to clean but I hate to pass it on after spending so much on it! I think I'll sell it through the local buy and sell magazine. That way I'll benefit financially for my efforts!

It's been a slow process but I am trying to weed our house of unneeded things bit by bit. Some times I am not ready to part with a certain object so instead of dwelling on it I focus on what I am ready to pass on.

I am getting there! It feels great to have our home more organized. It opens up the possibilities and makes our life so much easier!
#20 of 34 Old 02-11-2007, 10:08 PM

I, too, have been working hard to release my "bundt pans". It is not easy to do, especially without support from my DH, but I am persevering anyway.

I have been passing by certain items in my home to because I am not quite ready to release them, but it is getting easier. I freecycled a big (3 ft. long) , soft adorable stuffed cow yesterday that I was saving because: a) it was so cute b)one of my kids might want a farm theme in their bedroom someday. I feel so much better now that I passed it on to a lady who collects cows and will love it. Much better than being packed in box for 5 years waiting!

I want to be free now!
#21 of 34 Old 02-11-2007, 10:31 PM

Very good thread. Great insight!!

My "bundt pan" is a fondue set I got a few years ago. We *did* use it a few times...and then found out my nursling was allergic to dairy!!! I was just thinking the other day that I need to either start using it now that we can or pass it along to someone else. Sigh.
#22 of 34 Old 02-12-2007, 12:13 AM

Yes yes yes. I had this epiphany just a week or so ago. It's strange, isn't it? I envision myself entertaining, being crafty--being an organized, planning-type person. Ha.
#23 of 34 Old 02-12-2007, 12:37 AM

this week I finally gave away my cashmere sweater. It was a great sweater, the perfect shade of green, and I had always wanted a cashmere sweater. So my inlaws gave me one. From LL bean no less. But it was a turtleneck, with a banded bottom and looked bad on me! And now I've lost weight and it looks even worse! I was planing on conseinging it but they're not taking winter stuff so I donated it and I feel great! Now to find more bundt pans.... (including my real one which I haven't used since....)
#24 of 34 Old 02-12-2007, 12:54 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
As a teacher, I've spent a lot of time reading and teaching about the Great Depression, and the possibility of another huge economic downturn is always at the back of my mind (fueled by dh's fears of this, as well), so I agree in theory that I should just give things away today and perhaps buy them again later if I really need them (like your Bundt pan), but in actuality it's harder to make myself do.

On a related note, dh has a tape-player he won't get rid of because it's his only one. But it's probably been ten years since I've actually seen him listen to a tape. He's very, very bad at letting go of anything, which adds to my problems of getting rid of things!

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#25 of 34 Old 02-12-2007, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo View Post
For me, the "bundt pan" (which I probably own somewhere in my many packed goods) is something that represents the person I want to be, but am not. I want to be someone who makes wonderful cakes in pretty bundt pans. But I never have. So I keep the bundt pan hoping I will be that person.
Very interesting. This has made me look at things in my home differently. I feel that way about my cookie cutters. I don't have many but the few I have have NEVER been used. And I mean never.

When we bought our first house and had a baby, I thought, okay time to play mother hen, and really, what's more mother hen-ish than baking cookies? And it's true that my husband starts looking at me so adoringly when I attempt to bake. Kind of makes me sick since I am not a baker and I know he really wants me to be. I just don't enjoy it, never have. It's too precise and too messy. And the last time I baked something I was aghast at all of the dirty utinsels, bowls etc. all over the flour-coated counters.

Zachary (Jan. 16, 05), Blossom (Sept. 14, 08)
::
#26 of 34 Old 02-12-2007, 02:05 AM

Oh, yes. I think I have a few bundt pans around (though no actual ones!):

my yoga mat - I would really really like to enjoy yoga. It seems like it would be all healthy and spiritual and all. But I JUST DON'T LIKE YOGA! (Ok, I finally said it! )

Definitely some wedding gifts that we even registered for. Like 12 water goblets? We don't drink wine, so we registered for water goblets. But we have NEVER used them, not even on Thanksgiving or Christmas. So I'm guessing we won't! If I ever transform into a sophisticated dinner party throwing lady, I will have to buy them then.
#27 of 34 Old 02-12-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
As a teacher, I've spent a lot of time reading and teaching about the Great Depression, and the possibility of another huge economic downturn is always at the back of my mind (fueled by dh's fears of this, as well), so I agree in theory that I should just give things away today and perhaps buy them again later if I really need them (like your Bundt pan), but in actuality it's harder to make myself do.
I can relate to this. My mother was raised during the depression and saving/ storing stuff was a part of my growing up. Some of that was ok, but in reality, the things my parents saved weren't always well cared for or used.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#28 of 34 Old 02-12-2007, 03:27 PM

OMG, you just hit my personal nail on the head! I've done massive decluttering in the past 3 1/2 years. We're now living pretty sanely, 7 people in 1800 sq feet, which I think is a huge accomplishment. But there's definitely some Bundt pans around here. The main one is my knitting stuff. I would love to be a knitter. Knitters make such pretty stuff, and seem like such nice, friendly people. I would like to be a pretty stuff-making, nice, friendly person. But I hate to knit. I don't like yarn. I find the whole process frustrating. I am truly inspired. I'm giving away all my yarn, needles, and books TODAY. I've never finished a single project, anyway. Not even a potholder!

My worst, though, is books. I'm a big reader, but I have certain kinds of books that I think I "should" read that I never will, but that I think would make me somehow "better" if I did read them. Since we're working hard on reducing some debt, this would be a good time to start putting my "should read" books in half.com. So I will begin today, and list at least 3 before I go to bed tonight. There are probably 250 books in this house that will qualify, but I'm gonna let myself start small.

Now, next I have to discuss with my DH his quilting supplies... I think that's his Bundt pan, though what man has his identity wrapped up in quilting? He's an odd bird, that man I married.

computergeek2.gif

#29 of 34 Old 02-12-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Now, next I have to discuss with my DH his quilting supplies... I think that's his Bundt pan, though what man has his identity wrapped up in quilting? He's an odd bird, that man I married.
This! This right here just cracked me up! Thanks for the wonderful visual. Your 'odd bird' sounds wonderful!

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#30 of 34 Old 02-12-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptownzoo View Post
The main one is my knitting stuff. I would love to be a knitter. Knitters make such pretty stuff, and seem like such nice, friendly people. I would like to be a pretty stuff-making, nice, friendly person. But I hate to knit. I don't like yarn.
But you know, you're actually lucky in this regard, because if you did like yarn, you would find yourself buying huge, endless piles of yarn because it's so pretty and you just know you're going to make something with it someday.

I think this is my problem. I like designing knitted items and choosing yarns to go with patterns, and I love yarn, but the actual work of making all those stitches by hand ... um, it's kind of tiring. :

I love this thread, by the way. I am trying to decide what my personal "bundt pans" are. I don't think I have any actual bundt pans, but I'm sure if I start looking in the kitchen, I'll dig up all kinds of interesting gourmet tools I've never used.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page