Simplify and Downsize....AGAIN? We're going smaller! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 141 Old 03-25-2007, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lovely, just lovely! Your home makes me smile, so warm and cozy!

And I wanted to thank you for putting your life out there on the internet, I've found your "living small" to be an inspiration. We recently relocated to another state and cut our living space by almost 800 sf, and we're loving it. Thank you for the inspiration!
#62 of 141 Old 03-25-2007, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It looks SO gorgeous! Enjoy your new home.

Lisa: Homeschooling Mum of ds, 8 and dd, 6
#63 of 141 Old 03-25-2007, 11:17 AM

I love the new place. I wanted to say something though. While I think that your style is great and you do have very clever ideas, I think what really sets you apart from others who talk about their homes is how positive you are about it. You discuss everything with such energy and love, always pointing out the great things about the space rather than the negatives. (For example, on the picture of the kitchen sink "A great breeze blows in here while I'm doing dishes")

I think that is what really sets you apart. I think plenty of people would not be able to get over the negatives (even if they did want a small space) - you mention things you plan to change, but even when you do that, its in a positive way.

Honestly, I think its your outlook, not the space or design, that is truly refreshing!

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#64 of 141 Old 03-25-2007, 11:47 AM

It's really lovely. Thanks for sharing.
#65 of 141 Old 03-25-2007, 11:50 AM
Banned

Delight, I am just in awe -- simply in awe.

I have been following your blog/myspace (you are one of my *friends* even lol) and I am just in amazement of how you create your spaces and how you and your family lives life.

My husband and I looked at all the individual pictures of your space and we just can't stop going on about it --- I think because you and your family are living proof that:

a: a small space can work for a family and that it can be more than enough for all your needs

b: home is where the heart is -- you guys rent an apartment but you made it your own. You have only things surrounding you which are beautiful, joyous, uplifting, and which are functional -- and it looks amazing and feels, even though a blog, so much like home.

c: you can work with what you have/buy secondhand/create solutions -- everything doesn't have to be bought new and cost a gazillion dollars -- you made solutions out of everyday things/secondhand things/homemade things etc...

Seriously you are inspiring sister... the place looks absolutely amazing and I can see the heart of your family stamped on everything.
#66 of 141 Old 03-25-2007, 12:03 PM

At first I thought I'd clicked into the pics of the place from the other thread.

It's wonderful, your tastes and preferences really shine through.

By the way, did you know that you can paint kitchen countertops and then seal them for a new look? Since you're compacting, I daresay you'll be looking for a salvageable countertop, but maybe paint/sealant would expand your options.
#67 of 141 Old 03-25-2007, 02:07 PM

Oh, I LOVVE it! Ok, I've got to get off here and make my place livable again.

I love the slanted ceilings!!!!!!
#68 of 141 Old 03-25-2007, 02:38 PM

what an awesome job you have done. I absolutely love your transformation.
#69 of 141 Old 03-25-2007, 03:02 PM

Wow. Your homes are just amazing. I bet you could hire yourself out to do this kind of thing for other people. Wow.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#70 of 141 Old 03-25-2007, 03:19 PM

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California
Also in awe. Wow :
#71 of 141 Old 03-25-2007, 03:47 PM

Gorgeous. You are such an inspiration! We're trying to make room for a baby in a 950sf house and looking at your pictures are so incredibly inspiring! Thanks for sharing your life with us.
#72 of 141 Old 03-25-2007, 04:31 PM

Wow! I've been anxiously awaiting these photos. You are so talented, I just love all of it! I wish I could I hire you to help me do my home, lol!
#73 of 141 Old 03-25-2007, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo View Post
I love the new place. I wanted to say something though. While I think that your style is great and you do have very clever ideas, I think what really sets you apart from others who talk about their homes is how positive you are about it. You discuss everything with such energy and love, always pointing out the great things about the space rather than the negatives. (For example, on the picture of the kitchen sink "A great breeze blows in here while I'm doing dishes")

I think that is what really sets you apart. I think plenty of people would not be able to get over the negatives (even if they did want a small space) - you mention things you plan to change, but even when you do that, its in a positive way.

Honestly, I think its your outlook, not the space or design, that is truly refreshing!
Wow...you are so sweet to share that with me. I am so encouraged by everyone's comments...thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegirl View Post
Wow! I've been anxiously awaiting these photos. You are so talented, I just love all of it! I wish I could I hire you to help me do my home, lol!
I've had so many people say that...so now I'm actually considering adding it to my design services Maybe a mixture of organizer/simplifier/de-clutterer/decorator? I love doing it in my house so I'm sure I would love helping others do it too! I'm always looking for creative ways to add to our family's income.

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#74 of 141 Old 03-25-2007, 08:07 PM

You used the same colors we have in our house! Love it!!
#75 of 141 Old 03-25-2007, 08:38 PM

You did a fabulous job. Your home is so warm and cheerful. Truly a place I would look forward going home to

Yes for SURE you could do this as a business! I am amazed that you make it look so effortless. You really have a gift! I AGONIZE when I have to pick a paint color : By the way I would love to know what paint colors you used in the home. They work together so great.

How do you pick things? Do you choose things to decorate that you just LOVE? I will try to go and find things to decorate with and I freeze. I am originally from Spain and growing up decorating was a luxury I didnt have and in Spain people just painted walls white. There are so many choices here that I just FREEZE : - See I could totally use your services If you come to Dallas let me know!
#76 of 141 Old 03-25-2007, 08:45 PM

Absolutely incredible & inspiring. TFS!!
#77 of 141 Old 03-25-2007, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcino View Post
You did a fabulous job. Your home is so warm and cheerful. Truly a place I would look forward going home to

Yes for SURE you could do this as a business! I am amazed that you make it look effortless. I AGONIZE when I have to pick a paint color :
By the way I would love to know what paint colors you used in the home. They work together so great.

How do you pick things? Do you choose things to decorate that you just LOVE? I will try to go and find things to decorate with and I freeze. I am originally from Spain and growing up decorating was a luxury I didnt have and in Spain people just painted walls white. There are so many choices here that I just FREEZE : - See I could totally use your services If you come to Dallas let me know!
The paint colors are from Behr:

Livingroom: Warm Muffin
Kitchen: Grass Cloth
Bedroom: Toffee Crunch
Bathroom: Rocky Mountain Sky

All of our things have just been collected over the years. After awhile, I started to realize that I gravitated towards certain colors. So when I would find things I liked, I would focus on those colors so that everything would match no matter what room it was in. That way I can mix and match and re-do with the items I already have. I only keep items that are meaningful, beautiful, and/or useful. As I look around my rooms, I can tell you exactly where I got it...who gave it to me...what special memories are connected to it. And that brings great joy to everyday life.

I much prefer gathering things slowly and from unique places than from going out in one day to Pier 1 or wherever and buying enough to decorate a room.
Just paint by itself is huge. It will completely change the feel of the space.

Thanks for the kind words!

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#78 of 141 Old 03-25-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delight View Post

Ours are similar too for the kitchen & living room - only reversed.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#79 of 141 Old 03-25-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delight View Post

All of our things have just been collected over the years. After awhile, I started to realize that I gravitated towards certain colors. So when I would find things I liked, I would focus on those colors so that everything would match no matter what room it was in. That way I can mix and match and re-do with the items I already have. I only keep items that are meaningful, beautiful, and/or useful. As I look around my rooms, I can tell you exactly where I got it...who gave it to me...what special memories are connected to it. And that brings great joy to everyday life.

I much prefer gathering things slowly and from unique places than from going out in one day to Pier 1 or wherever and buying enough to decorate a room.
Just paint by itself is huge. It will completely change the feel of the space.

Thanks for the kind words!
Thanks for sharing the colors. I'm wanting to repaint my kitchen and love the color you chose for yours.
#80 of 141 Old 03-25-2007, 09:51 PM

All I can say is: WOW! You're an inspiration!
#81 of 141 Old 03-25-2007, 10:05 PM

HEHE! Warm Muffin and Toffe Crunch are certainly colors I already can tell I would like - yum!

Thanks so much for the colors and thanks for the tips! This is ONE very challenged Spaniard. All my photography clients think that because I can shoot I can decorate, but sadly that is not the case

I don't have very much because I do not like clutter AND I am afraid to buy and not like, so it takes a lot for me to buy an item. I too can tell you where, who, when something came from. I love it I feel surrounded by love when I think of where things came from. My son is that way too... he can tell who gave him what train and if it was for Christmas or his birthday

Thanks again Sara! I hope your family is very blessed in your sweet new home
#82 of 141 Old 03-25-2007, 11:07 PM

It is absolutely ADORABLE. What a sweet little corner of the world.

so many roads to ease my soul...

#83 of 141 Old 03-25-2007, 11:11 PM

lovely. just lovely.
#84 of 141 Old 03-25-2007, 11:17 PM

Ahhhh... Im in love with your home! So warm and cozy.
I wish I could live there!!!
#85 of 141 Old 03-25-2007, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm going to use a word a lot of people are using: "inspiring"! I'm thinking about you and your lovely home as I go through our house and decide what we truly love and use. Thank you!
#86 of 141 Old 03-25-2007, 11:44 PM

Awesome pics! Thanks so much for sharing them! Your new place looks so inviting!
#87 of 141 Old 03-26-2007, 10:23 AM

I love it. Wish I could see it in person!

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#88 of 141 Old 03-26-2007, 11:36 AM

It looks fantastic. So warm and cozy, hard to believe its the same apartment.
#89 of 141 Old 03-26-2007, 12:38 PM

I am so stinkin" excited to see what you have done! You are talented. I am not even going to say I could have gotten to that point of "homey", but if I could have it wouldn't have been in a month's time, with no time living in it. I would have had to have "lived" in it first for ......well, a while. I am teary eyed with excitement from the motivation you've given me. As you know we didn't bring much with us and we've been thrifting to get furniture and we have almost everything we "need", besides a bed. The furniture is in bad shape, but functional none-the-less, so I have an opportunity to beautify it and make it ours with paint. So, you have definately made me get excited about it, and the move, and the new place (that we are not into yet).

Out of curiousity, did you all upgrade your rental at you expense? I think it's worth it if you did and big of you. I always have a hard time doing that because I feel like I'm improving someone else's property when maybe they should have done it, but I realize that's a stingy way of thinking, (especially when you read what you just wrote .) Kind of cutting of you ..somethin' to spite you ....head? or sometin' like that. And to look at the transformation from a place to live into a home! Lesson learned, thanks.
#90 of 141 Old 03-26-2007, 12:56 PM

So beautiful. You are an excellent decorator. I can't believe how the improvements have made the already cool space look so great! I love it all. There is really not one thing in particular that I love more than something else. It just all fits together so well and is so functional. Definitely consider a business out of your creativity. You have truly inspired me!

I feel like I want to sell my old house (built in 1919) with 1156 square feet above ground and about 600-700 sq. feet basement to move to a more cozy place. I don't think I could talk my husband into it, but I will definitely be decluttering more!

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page