Simplify and Downsize....AGAIN? We're going smaller! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-15-2007, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Greetings!
Well, we got all moved into our place in Montana...and have realized that it's just too much space and too much rent. So, we went on the hunt for something else. We found a cute LITTLE place...ringing in at 382 sq. feet. Weeeeee!

It needs a lot of work...but we're super excited. I explain a little more in the Flickr set. I left a lot of notes on the images...with ideas for paint colors, my thoughts, etc. I'm having a hard time trying to make final decisions on the paint. I'd love your thoughts! Check it out here.
I'm trying to kind of coordinate all of the rooms a bit...just because you can see every room from wherever you are.

Stay tuned for the "re-make" of Delight's new apartment. I will post some photos when it's all done sometime in late March.

Small = Happy!

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2007, 09:38 AM

OH It's adorable!!!!
Old 02-15-2007, 10:00 AM

that is so cute,i can't wait to see your after photos,
if you don't mind me asking(if you do,just ignore me )what is the rent on that?

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
Old 02-15-2007, 10:11 AM

Such a cute house! I also love those old wood floors; they have much more character than carpet.

I couldn't figure out if it was one or two bedrooms, though.

Looking forward to seeing it painted and decorated (I hope you saved your pretty stars from your old apartment... those were my favourite!). Enjoy your new home!
Old 02-15-2007, 11:02 AM

It has such a nice vibe!

Somebody loves bright blue paint.

I think that's a fantastic idea to paint the ceiling and walls the same color (in the kitchen?) why not? I wonder if painting the entire place one great color will make it feel bigger.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
Old 02-15-2007, 11:16 AM

We have the slanted walls to ceiling in our bedroom and DD's bedroom/ playroom.
I can show you what we did with that on the advice of a painter.After DD wakes up...just don't mind the mess.It turned out very nice.
And funny enough that bright blue seems to be the same color as in our bedroom.

Stay Tuned.

OKay I ended up with the flu then DD so it was slow in happening but this is our bedroom..have yet to get pictures of the other room which I love more. so will wait to post them at all once.
When we first moved in the whole place celings, walls, etc were beige and it just made the place feel closed in.
Our painter recommended really separating the the walls from the ceilings etc
Old 02-15-2007, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimunklemama View Post
that is so cute,i can't wait to see your after photos,
if you don't mind me asking(if you do,just ignore me )what is the rent on that?
$450 with free high speed internet and cable (but we don't have a TV ) We pay elecric and gas. Where we are at now, we pay $1000 (includes utilities).

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybun View Post
Such a cute house! I also love those old wood floors; they have much more character than carpet.

I couldn't figure out if it was one or two bedrooms, though.

Looking forward to seeing it painted and decorated (I hope you saved your pretty stars from your old apartment... those were my favourite!). Enjoy your new home!
It's definitely not a 2 bedroom at that square footage! Just one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaSky View Post
We have the slanted walls to ceiling in our bedroom and DD's bedroom/ playroom.
I can show you what we did with that on the advice of a painter.After DD wakes up...just don't mind the mess.It turned out very nice.
And funny enough that bright blue seems to bet the same color as in our bedroom.

Stay Tuned.
Oooh...I'd love to see!

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
Old 02-15-2007, 12:44 PM

It's adorable- I can't wait to see what you do with it!
Old 02-15-2007, 01:06 PM

Keep us posted Sara! We love your taste & can't wait to see what you do with the place!
Old 02-15-2007, 01:43 PM

I think you're turning moving into a hobby. Personally, I can't stay in a home for more than a year or two without getting loopy. I think I'm a tad nomadic.

I can't wait to see what you do with it. Your last place was so inspiring. Oh, depending on where you place the bed you can do a really cool canopy thing with slanted ceilings. We had them in the house I grew up in.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:12 PM

I think some people are nomadic, just in their nature. I have to be close to family, because of my nature, but it sure is fun watching you nomads! LOL

I wanna hear more about the cool canopy thing- we have slanting ceilings in our bedrooms! And the paint issue- our bedroom is still not painted because we can't agree on where the walls end and the ceiling begins!

I can't wait to see what you do with your new space, mama!

so many roads to ease my soul...

Old 02-15-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delight View Post
It's definitely not a 2 bedroom at that square footage! Just one.
I've seen some tiny rooms in my apartment searches! You never know...

Good luck! Start painting!
Old 02-15-2007, 04:40 PM

Wow I like it but I cannot imagine living in that small of a space (we are a family of 3 too). I admire you for doing it!
How long has it been since you moved last time?

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

Old 02-15-2007, 04:40 PM

Oh I forgot to mention that I can't wait until you are done with it! I loved what you did with your last place.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

Old 02-15-2007, 05:07 PM

Hi Mama - I bet it will look COMPLETELY different when you get the done and the landlord will LOVE you for it

I hear you on not liking electric stoves - unfortunatley that's what we have in our house and it's just too much $$ to get a propane tank and pretty impractical for our tiny backyard (no municipal gas in town). If they are willing to replace the stove there are at least some decent electrics out there now-adays that will adjust temperatues REALLY quickly, etc.

Yeah to no carpets - haven't had any in this house for 2 yrs now, I gave away the vacuum with them

Good luck!
Old 02-15-2007, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wife&mommy View Post
Wow I like it but I cannot imagine living in that small of a space (we are a family of 3 too). I admire you for doing it!
How long has it been since you moved last time?
Yes, isn't it funny how we change over time? I could never have imagined that we could be happy and content in such a small place, but I love it. Of course, there are drawbacks, and it's not that I don't LOVE having a separate toy room for Bella right now, among other things, but I love the simplicity of smallness. There are always tradeoffs for everything.

We moved into our current place exactly ONE month ago today. : I will definitely be ready to settle now for awhile!

Old 02-15-2007, 05:57 PM

Wow, what a great find!
I can just see how adorable that place could be with alittle TLC!:
Old 02-15-2007, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OMG, Sarah, I think I used to live in your new apartment. (Long ago, when I was at MSU - and I do not claim responsibility for the blue paint!!)

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

Old 02-15-2007, 09:04 PM

In one of the pictures you mentioned how the ceiling curves into the walls... our entire house is like that. You do have a couple choices on painting that. Like you said, you can paint it all one color; you can paint it colors that are close, or paint it all one, and then sponge/texture the ceiling feathering it over the coving; I know in one of our rooms there's a crown molding running about 18 inches from the ceiling around the entire room that clearly separates the ceiling from the walls. You could also blend two complimentary colors over or just below the coving (say a red ceiling and blue walls just for example, and the area around the coving would be mostly purple, if that makes sense).

The coving definitely makes painting interesting, but it adds so much character as well. I noticed in the kitchen you have a soffit on one wall, you could extend the bottom line of that soffit around the rest of the kitchen with a border of some sort, and paint everything above one color and everything below another.

Just some ideas I've had about dealing with the same "problem".

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 02-15-2007, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Sara-I am curious. We battle coats, mittens, boots, hats, etc. Will the area Matt is building hold all that? I have finally solved my problem with them but I am always wondering if there is a better solution. Also where do you store things like Christmas decorations/ornaments, baby keepsakes, your and Matts keepsakes, picture albums, etc? Are your parents storing some things for you guys? Under the Compact are you able to get cool paint second hand? I try to keep an eye out at Goodwill/SA but everything they get is all dried up or ugly. So many questions...
Old 02-15-2007, 10:49 PM

You are such an inspiration Sara! You could make a living doing consultations for people (we could send you pics of our house and you could tell us what to do and in which colors).

Thanks for sharing this!
Old 02-15-2007, 11:57 PM
Banned

I was thinking you could give consultations as well...

You are so impressive. I actually just blogged about your blog being so awesome!

Dh and i are currently living in a 613 sq foot apartment and saving to build a home on my parents property next year. I am loving katrina cottages http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ge/KC_612.html and i don't want a 2 story - so i'm thinking the 612 sq. foot one is for us.

I've had my reservations about it for some reason - which is odd considering it's only 1 sq. ft. smaller than where we are now

Just seeing this post made me realize...we can do it! Thanks
Old 02-16-2007, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz View Post
Sara-I am curious. We battle coats, mittens, boots, hats, etc. Will the area Matt is building hold all that? I have finally solved my problem with them but I am always wondering if there is a better solution. Also where do you store things like Christmas decorations/ornaments, baby keepsakes, your and Matts keepsakes, picture albums, etc? Are your parents storing some things for you guys? Under the Compact are you able to get cool paint second hand? I try to keep an eye out at Goodwill/SA but everything they get is all dried up or ugly. So many questions...
Yes, the shelving unit will hold all of the outdoor gear. It's definitely a struggle to keep it under control, especially in snowy snowy Montana. I just have to stay on top of it and keep putting away the things that aren't actively being used. As far as storage stuff...we did a huge purge before we moved and we don't have much. Christmas decorations...only 1 bin...baby keepsakes and outgrown clothes...2 bins. aternity clothes...1 bin. Other keepsakes...1 bin. All of those bins will go in the storage in the wall...I don't think I detailed that in the photos. There is a nice crawl space there. Some outdoor gear may have to be stored at Matt's sister's place, but other than that, we're good.

Well, I'm not sure what others do on their Compact, but for me, paint isn't included. It's something that I am using to make our living space more live-able and it's a consumable. It's not a "thing". So yes, while I could try to find paint that I adore 2nd hand, it's highly doubtful that I will. Am I breaking the "rules"? Maybe someone else's, but not mine

Thanks for all the kind words ladies... Y'all are too sweet.

Old 02-16-2007, 01:00 AM

I have not even looked and i am sooooooooo excited!
Old 02-16-2007, 01:12 AM

Wow Sarah! We mmoved 34 times in under 3 years but you have got me beat!
Lets be positive about the neighbors ok.
And wow- I was just thinking I wonder if anyone else on here has ever been in this apt!
We are planning a trip to MT this year to see dh's grandparents. NOT in the winter tho! Seems really cool the town you live in- the one we are going to is pretty rural.
Is that a nook in the lr?

I also would pay for your services. Not much since I dont have much. But I would.
I need help in my living room, dining room , kitchen and odd room off of them both. LOL.
Emilie
Old 02-16-2007, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
sara-if I was compacting I wouldn't include paint either. In my opinion that is a necessary part of home maintenance. I just wasn't sure how you were doing your compact. That is great about the crawl space storage. We will all be looking forward to your progress.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:51 PM

Isn't there such a thing as recycled paint, that you can have tinted to any color you like? I think I've read about it somewhere....

Loved first apartment & am looking forward to seeing the new one evolve. Your blog is one of my favorites...such an inspiration!

simply being a mama to 5!loving, living and learning at home...
Old 02-16-2007, 02:07 PM

Sarah, it's awesome! I love the bathroom. You're in Bozeman, right? There used to be a great kind of pan-Asian restaurant there - granted, this was fifteen years ago, but still!

Is the Pickle Barrel still downtown? In high school I knew the guy whose parents owned it - Jay something, maybe. If it is there, it's a fun place.

Sorry, I'm a little homesick, and even though I grew up in Kalispell, Bozeman is closer than Chicago.

I'm so excited to see what you do with your place!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 02-16-2007, 07:58 PM

Hurry up- were waiting! LOL.
I am so excited to see what you do!
Old 02-17-2007, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie View Post