Decluttering before the Treasure Map time!!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 61 Old 02-25-2007, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been thinking of creating a thread for decluterring before Treasure Map time hits!

I would at least like to have some company here, which in turn will motivate me more!

I've got so much to do, and I'm sure there are more people like me out there who will be doing Treasure Map and would love to have some company along the way of decluttering. If not, then as there is a poet in my country once wrote loose translation "if no one answers your request to be a company in your journey then let's go alone..."

Things that I've to work on-

#1. Go through loads and loads of cloths and throw away almost half of those

#2. Clear what I've got under my bed....

#3. Organize 2 closets! :

#4. Organize & do a Major cleaning in Kitchen......: :

# 5.Throw away all the papers, bills that I've been piling since last 7 years

Please don't be come and share your to do list that needs to be work on before TP time....

Good luck to all of us or just me

belly.gif heartbeat.gif   computergeek2.gif  
#2 of 61 Old 02-25-2007, 02:32 PM

First, what is treasure map time??
#3 of 61 Old 02-25-2007, 02:41 PM

I have more than I'm willing to list here. Much of it is just in dire need of cleaning, before I can even begin to declutter. : I'm hopping in here in hopes of some motivation!

Kerry, loving wife to Pete, mama to DD (14) DS1 (9) DS2 (3) & Expecting someone new Jan 2013

#4 of 61 Old 02-25-2007, 02:44 PM

I can relate to #4 and #5. The others I've already tackled (yea me). We started this as a new year's resolution and ended up donating a ton of stuff and then making $80 at a yard sale. Like I said, I still need to tackle the filing cabinet and the kitchen, but otherwise I feel good about what we've done.

Kat look here
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=535219

This will be my first year doing it. I've been studying the Secret and they call it a vision board in the movie. I like the idea of organizing my want list in a creative way.

T

Tara - Mother to Curtis 12/04 and Clark 11/07
#5 of 61 Old 02-25-2007, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Tara, that's great that you already accomplished a lot in cleaning and decluttering!!!! I just started yesterday and I tackled my living room. It looks so nice now!

I've major problem with throwing away old bills or papers....I just keep thinking "what if" I need it later....and it has gotten really bad now...papers all over!!!

mammakerry, I hear you... my Kitchen needs a heavy duty cleaning and then declutter....

I was supposed to go through cloths today...but since I cleaned living room yesterday...may be I'll take a break....:

Definitely by next week I want to finish my #1 from the list!!

Kat, I see Tara already answered your question!

#6 of 61 Old 02-25-2007, 03:12 PM

I can't get the link about what Treasure Map time is to open up. It gives me the message that I don't have permission to access it etc.

Mom to ds 10/12 and dd 2/05 ribbonrainbow.gif

Blogging about living with xeroderma pigmentosum at www.pacificnights.org/ and about life in general at http://livingavibrantlife.blogspot.com/
#7 of 61 Old 02-25-2007, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTmama1 View Post
I can't get the link about what Treasure Map time is to open up. It gives me the message that I don't have permission to access it etc.
That's because that thread is in Spirituality and you need to have certain # of posts to be able to access that forum.

However, good news is Tracy has created a thread for new posters too or who have less# of posts and can't access that thread in SP. This one is in Personal Growth-

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=620967

Check that out!

#8 of 61 Old 02-25-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susykat View Post
First, what is treasure map time??
I was coming to ask the same thing.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#9 of 61 Old 02-25-2007, 05:51 PM

I have so much to do, too! I've been like a mad woman around here lately, though, this place is looking SO much better!

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#10 of 61 Old 02-25-2007, 05:57 PM

* Organize laundry closet- put shelves in to keep some baskets and the detergent up out of DD's reach.

* Organize and declutter DD's room- find something to keep excess stuffed animals up in some type of hammock on the wall- purge some of her toys.

* Organize my desk drawers (find place to store laptop and current scrapbook projects) and purge through the stacks of papers next to the desk.

* Organize and purge DH and my closet

If I'm brave enough to face the weather-
* clean out the garage- condense what I want to keep into 4 boxes [goal]

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#11 of 61 Old 02-25-2007, 07:46 PM

I'm so in!!

I need to get my butt (and big belly!) in gear and:

Totally empty the walk-in-closet, give away a lot, and put the remainder back (well organized!).

Ditto to the front closet (and get shoe racks for the shoe pile in there!)

Re-organize the kitchen cabinets and pantry (luckily these are pretty good right now, so won't need too much work!)
#12 of 61 Old 02-25-2007, 08:09 PM

What I did today:

Washed dishes
Picked up living room floor
Organized movies/Dvds
Vaccumed
Changed sheets
Washed more laundry
Showered
Knit from my stash (thus decluttering by reducing the amount of yarn around!! )

Alright, I guess not much of that is decluttering, but I never have time during the week for any of that, so I feel slightly accomplished.

Kerry, loving wife to Pete, mama to DD (14) DS1 (9) DS2 (3) & Expecting someone new Jan 2013

#13 of 61 Old 02-25-2007, 08:35 PM

Look at my sig.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#14 of 61 Old 02-25-2007, 08:55 PM

For some inspiration/ guidelines, check out this link:

http://eliminatechaos.com/organizingtips.shtml

It kinda helps to have "guidelines" - can make decisions faster, YKWIM?

A great way to make things go faster is to recruit a friend who wants to declutter also - team up and do one day at their house, one day at your house...

Also, if you set a daily goal - e.g. one drawer a day, one closet per weekend, etc. Bite sized projects make it less overwhelming.
#15 of 61 Old 02-25-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noorjahan View Post
I've been thinking of creating a thread for decluterring before Treasure Map time hits!

#1. Go through loads and loads of cloths and throw away almost half of those

#2. Clear what I've got under my bed....
Good luck to all of us or just me
I'm definitely IN... I'm doing my first treasure map this year, and have been feng shui-ing (is that a word? ) like a mad woman to get prepared to bring good things into my life! So decluttering is on the to do list as well ... what I would LIKE to get accomplished by treasure map time in April is this:

1. Donate ALL the stuff that we've been accumulating during our previous declutter efforts (its in the garage) to charity.

2. Remove any items of clothing that haven't been worn in 6months from my wardrobe.

3. Get honest with myself about my fabric stash .. Either make definite plans to use it, or give it to someone that WILL.

4. Organize the rest of my craft stuff on shelves, I do use it but it's fallen into a state of disarray.

5. Ebay all the baby stuff (its in a laundry basket ready to go!)

6. Gonna jump on the OP's paper/filing bandwagon... I'm clearing out anything in our files that isn't needed anymore or is from a time where I was not feeling the abundance & prosperity! (old icky bank statements with not so pleasant amounts etc, ancient bills that have been paid)

Good luck ladies!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#16 of 61 Old 02-25-2007, 10:10 PM

Will you guys keep me accountable and motivated? I started a Treasure Map last year (and some of it worked out!) but I really want to get it together this year.

Stuff to do:
*Sort enormous amounts of clothing in my room and get rid of lots of it!
*Go thru the kids clothes as well
*Declutter the large bookcase to make more space for the still boxed books
*Sort and clean out bedroom closets

Thats more then enough to get me started.

Jess, mom to Phelan Quinn (9/23/95), Wiley Rogue (10/29/03), and Victor Xerxes (9/10/08) and still married to my giant!
#17 of 61 Old 02-26-2007, 01:18 AM

Thanks Tara!!

Okay so I should be moving into my new home around Treasure Time if not before : So, I'll probably be a total mess around then but I'll try to declutter before I move.

So, here is my list

1. Designate an area in my garage for garage sale items
2. Clean out bathroom closet
3. The office - enough said

So, I'll start with that and add more as I get those done!
#18 of 61 Old 02-26-2007, 01:21 AM

I'm in. I joined the feb decluttering challenge and that was great motivation. What do I have left to do:
Top of closet (maternity clothes and the girls' baby clothes)
One corner of the craft room.
Laundry room (also my dye room and a lot of crap!)
The girls' craft area
The girls' playroom
#19 of 61 Old 02-26-2007, 01:35 AM

Can I be in too?

I did a lot earlier in the year following the Feng Shui thread, but I need to keep at it.

My goals are:-

1) Help ds1 unpack and organise in his bedroom (i switched our rooms around)
2) Keep picking up the daily clutter
3) Unpack the boxes in the cubbyhole and hang pictures, put books on shelves etc.
4) Keep dishes done
5) Decide if I'm keeping the decluttered stuff in the garage for a garage sale or donating it to Goodwill. (anybody any ideas on which is energetically better?)
6)Keep doing the laundry
7)Start unpacking the boxes in the garage storage area and either (3) or (5)!

Phew seems like a lot, and I can't really work in the garage until the weather warms up a little. I know I can do this though if I don't spend all my time lurking on MDC
#20 of 61 Old 02-26-2007, 02:11 AM

I'm in though dh and I have been decluttering like mad-people the last few weeks (well, last weekend we basically "took off" which is code for "did nothing!"). So far we have gone through everyone clothes, including children's clothing that is in the garage (we have all boys, so when one grows out of a set, it gets boxed for the next kiddo). We reduced basically everything by half. (It is so awesome to take those things to Goodwill knowing it will be treasured by someone somewhere.) We have also completed the February Kitchen Challenge. (The only piece not done is our old computer which is currently on one of my countertops ... it is almost cleared of old stuff and ready to be shipped back east to dh's friend.) What we are working on now is:
* Finish purging my "sewing" room and move fabric, machines, and table to the garage.
* Finish purging/organizing the play room, and move less-played-with toys to the garage for rotation.
* Move ds#1 into what will be my former sewing room.
* Move ds#3's clothing and diapers into ds#2's bedroom. (The baby will still sleep with us, but his clothes will finally be in the other bedroom and I'll just keep a small basket with some nighttime diapers and washcloths by our bed.)
* Purge boxes of old paperwork and schoolwork from dh and my college years.
* Purge old teacher-supply workbooks; I don't plan on using them with my kids as I'm taking a much more holistic approach to their education and the workbooks/idea books/etc are just taking up a bookshelf.
* Frame and hang pictures of the boys (I have so many cute pictures of them from holidays/birthdays when we got professional photos done ... they need to go on the wall). I also want to get a nice picture of dh and I taken to hang.
* Purchase bulletin boards - one for each of the boy's rooms and one for our kitchen.

I think that's all. Most things left are small things as we have done most of the major purging. The ones I want to do now are the purging of the sewing room and the playroom as that will give my older and middle sons both their own rooms (the baby probably won't sleep with ds#2 for at least another year if not longer) where they can spread out a bit, but also will clear out the playroom and in the long run, really help the boys with cleaning up better.

I love feeling the old energy leave the house when we are cleaning. Two weeks ago we started our major purge. The day we started I was in a bad mood, feeling cruddy, and had had a headache for a couple days. I felt that headache leave my body with each bag I filled for Goodwill. It was amazing how much better I felt emotionally and physically as we cleaned and purged.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#21 of 61 Old 02-26-2007, 02:18 AM

I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing (TM-wise, I mean), but we're moving into a brand-spanking new house about 3 weeks before TM time, and are expecting our 2nd dd about 2 weeks before TM time. :

I'm not sure that we'll be decluttering so much as organizing. Our stuff has been in storage for more than 18 months, so it'll be like getting all new everything! I know it all needs to be gone through -- I didn't declutter like I wanted to pre-move, so there's a lot of junk in the storage unit we'll have to deal with. This will be my first Treasure Map and I want to make the best of it, but I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed by the tasks that we're facing in the next 4-6 weeks.

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#22 of 61 Old 02-26-2007, 12:10 PM

I'm also moving into my very first house about 3 weeks before treasure mapping time! I've been working on tons of decluttering in the last few weeks to get ready to move, but I'm going to work doubly hard once we move to make sure there's nothing else we can be rid of and to organize. The people that left the house there before us left a ton of stuff in the basement, so I should probably make it a priority to declutter down there! It'll be a load off for sure.

Anywho, I'm in. I'm moving in 3 days, so I'll check back after that and let you guys know how it's going!

Happy treasure mapping season!!!!!!
#23 of 61 Old 02-26-2007, 03:31 PM

I've been going through the decluttering process since the beginning of the year. It's going well, so far. I've completed the bedrooms, office, playroom, living room, and dining area. Still to do:

-Storage area (HUGE amount of CRAP)
-Garage (it's seriously scary in there - I'm waiting for it to warm up a tad before I get started)
-Shed
-Laundry room
-Sewing/craft room (another terrifying one)
-Kitchen (in the process of doing it, now)
-Washrooms

I have to say that the rooms that have been decluttered have such a calm, peaceful vibe in them. I can already feel a difference in my house, just with the few rooms I've managed to complete. I'm optimistic that I'll have everything done by April.
#24 of 61 Old 02-26-2007, 03:42 PM

Great idea! Thanks for starting this thread. I have been decluttering since the beginning of the year, but have started to slow down a little, so this is just the motivation I need!

Let's see, what do I have left to do........

1. clean out under the bed
2. clean out my dresser and dh's dresser
3. clean off front porch and back porch
4. clean out my closet, being really ruthless this time!
5. clear out all old magazines, donate to dd's school
6. clean out hot water closet (which includes cleaning out the yarn and fabric stash)
7. clean out kitchen cupboards and drawers

8. have huge yard sale the first weekend in April and donate the leftover's to a local charity :

I already have purged;

9 bags of kid stuff to the consignment shop
4 bags of clothes waiting for the next ladies clothes swap
15 bags of stuff for the yard sale

woohoo! :
#25 of 61 Old 02-26-2007, 03:47 PM

I'm working on it, but it's slow going (I have too much to list!)
#26 of 61 Old 02-26-2007, 05:56 PM

Heathenmom, That's a lot going on!

I did some serious decluttering a few months ago so we're not doing too badly right now. I just want to declutter the areas that bother me and/or prevent me from dusting more thoroughly (we have serious dust).

- declutter the 'junk drawer' aka all-purpose drawer
- declutter the cds etc so that I can clean back there
- get rid of defunct appliances
- declutter papers & books
- re-declutter bathroom cabinets

All this decluttering has to happen with DH.

Also a major form of decluttering I have to do is of tasks. A lot of stuff I either need to wrap up, be truly on the verge of wrapping up, or let go of. I have built up a lot of things I "need" to do yet never get around to doing.

All this, and I'm not even positive if I'm going to go ahead and make a treasure map!
#27 of 61 Old 02-26-2007, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

I like reading everyone's list of things to do I actually got some reminders that oops I need to do that too....

I haven't done anything else yet...but definitely will be working my behind off next weekend as I don't have any energy left after coming from work!

sphinxie, I say go for it! Doing TP is really fun!! If nothing else you'll get to have fun

I'm absolutely no expert on TP but I don't think moving to a new house around that time is bad! And I think that's one way to get rid of clutter....that's what I did 2 years ago when I moved at my current apt....!

I am also interested in Feng Shui and I wish I was much more interested in it...if nothing else my house would have been clean and clear of any clutter

After reading everyone's list one thing I'm glad I don't have garage....office room...washing room.. phew!

Happy decluttering+cleaning everyone!

#28 of 61 Old 02-27-2007, 10:09 AM

Ok, I'm here. I've been thinking about how much I need to clean/declutter... but I don't want to! Well, I do, I'm just so tired right now. I have a seasonal job, so the majority of this will be done the first half of April when I have more time.

-Fix computer set up (desk)
-paint computer room
-rearrange furniture in computer room
-sort through hobby/craft stuff
-get new couch (and chair?)
-sort through kitchen dishes again
-sort through clothes again
-clean coat closet and put up curtain
-top to bottom spring cleaning... washing of walls, windows, floors etc etc
#29 of 61 Old 02-27-2007, 05:28 PM

I'm in! Seems like I'm always decluttering, only to turn around and see another pile of junk!

My pre-TM goals:
- Declutter bedroom (remove toys, unused clothes and diapers, piles of paper from desks) and make it my sanctuary
- Organize bedroom closet
- Clean living room (clean out junk drawers, organize dvds and videos, maintain toybox), prep wall to paint it (and actually paint it, once we settle on the color!)
- Keep dining table clear - it's so easy to accumulate crap there!
- Clear bar and kitchen counters, top of fridge
- Declutter extra dishes in kitchen
- Clear deep freeze (dang the upright freezer, crap rests up on top so nicely!)
- Organize playroom - keep *my* toys organized and in the closet, keep girls' toys put away and organized, clean out the closets
- Organize bathroom storage, stay on top of keeping bathrooms clean
- Laundry room - ?shelves, maybe?

A lot of my list is just trying to stay on top of things so more clutter doesn't appear. If I could find my motivation, things could be done so easily with just maintenance, yk?

Rachel, married to Andy, mama to Aubrey, Lauren, Sasha, and *surprise* Baby #4, due November, 2011
#30 of 61 Old 03-01-2007, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Any sucess stories yet???? Need some motivation here!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page