"M" is for March and Master Bedroom Challenge - Come Join! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-06-2007, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Jean View Post
Does anyone have any good ideas for something I can do in lieu of a headboard? Here's my bed: http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/100_3028.jpg. I'm thinking of something that would just be on the wall, kwim?
The link didn't work for me, sorry . But I saw a really cool idea where you take an appropriate sized piece of plywood, and cover it with batting (the kind you can use w/ quilting) and then cover that with material. Being sure to pull the material tightly around the back and staple firmly. Then mount onto the wall.
There were some with buttons sewn on, grossgrain ribbon in a sort of memo board design, etc. It sounded pretty easy and looked really cool and very put together.

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2007, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kateana View Post
Martha Stewart had a project that was making a headboard out of an old wood door. Just paint it and mount it horizontally on the wall. It looked pretty neat. Otherwise, you could get a neat tapestry or something, and hang that... maybe a mantle?
I heard about that from someone on another board. I think it's a cool idea, but I don't know if it's really my style. Besides, I don't know where I'd get an old door! I like the tapestry idea though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabearsoblessed View Post
The link didn't work for me, sorry . But I saw a really cool idea where you take an appropriate sized piece of plywood, and cover it with batting (the kind you can use w/ quilting) and then cover that with material. Being sure to pull the material tightly around the back and staple firmly. Then mount onto the wall.
There were some with buttons sewn on, grossgrain ribbon in a sort of memo board design, etc. It sounded pretty easy and looked really cool and very put together.
I don't know why it didn't work, that's weird. It worked for me in the orignial post, but not in Kateana's post where it was quoted...: Anyway, thanks for the idea. I think it's kind of like the door thing, but maybe with a little more room for creativity....we'll see!

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I heard about that from someone on another board. I think it's a cool idea, but I don't know if it's really my style. Besides, I don't know where I'd get an old door! I like the tapestry idea though!
It's not my style, either... as for the link, I didn't try it, so I didn't see your setup either...
Old 03-06-2007, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It worked for me in the orignial post, but not in Kateana's post where it was quoted...: Anyway, thanks for the idea.
I think I know what happened. When you cut and paste a really long link into an MDC post, MDC shortens it for you in the text of the message. So if I posted: http://www.checkoutmyreallyreallylon...hatagreatlink/ See the ... in the middle? If you hover over the link with your cursor and look at the actual target link displayed in the bottom bar of IE, you'll see the whole link. The link still links to the original URL, but the displayed URL is shortened in the middle. The problem probably came from the fact that you cut and pasted from your original post, so you got the displayed part of the link, not the original link, if you try to click on the link you provided it is missing part in the middle and has the ...

Just a little URL lesson from your local CS major

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
Old 03-06-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo View Post
I think I know what happened. When you cut and paste a really long link into an MDC post, MDC shortens it for you in the text of the message. So if I posted: http://www.checkoutmyreallyreallylon...hatagreatlink/ See the ... in the middle? If you hover over the link with your cursor and look at the actual target link displayed in the bottom bar of IE, you'll see the whole link. The link still links to the original URL, but the displayed URL is shortened in the middle. The problem probably came from the fact that you cut and pasted from your original post, so you got the displayed part of the link, not the original link, if you try to click on the link you provided it is missing part in the middle and has the ...

Just a little URL lesson from your local CS major
Ooooh, okay. Well then, here's the correct link: http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/100_3028.jpg

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:03 PM

Maybe you can paint a headboard? Pick a color from your bedspread (I personally would choose the green!) and find a design that you like, if you are good with drawing basic shapes (or even tracing) outline some thing on the wall and paint it! You could even repeat the pattern of the bedspread in a smaller scale on the wall if you'd like to use more than one color!

I'm having the same dilema(sp?) in my house all though the door Idea is looking kinda tasty! Hope this helps!
Old 03-06-2007, 10:06 PM

can i join?

we are getting ready to move and im really trying to cut down what we have by like less than 50%
ive already gotten rid of 3 garbage bags full of clothes this month and 2 bags of books (green garbage bags!)

our bedroom needs some major decluttering and organising though.
we have 4 people who sleep and store clothes in it and its our main play room as well...

baby is waking up but i will post pictures in a bit

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 03-06-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarJulesmom View Post
Maybe you can paint a headboard? Pick a color from your bedspread (I personally would choose the green!) and find a design that you like, if you are good with drawing basic shapes (or even tracing) outline some thing on the wall and paint it! You could even repeat the pattern of the bedspread in a smaller scale on the wall if you'd like to use more than one color!

I'm having the same dilema(sp?) in my house all though the door Idea is looking kinda tasty! Hope this helps!
Oooh, I really love your idea! Buuuut, we live in an apartment, and we can't paint. Duh, I should have mentioned that!:

Old 03-06-2007, 11:16 PM

GGRRRRRRRRRR Renting stinks. Our last land lords were like that I fought tooth and nail to paint my dss room and I wanted to do it baby green! They had such a problem with that. Our Land lords now gave us permission to paint. kids room is now pink, blue, purple and baby green!

Hmmm gonna have to think a bit more will post more solutions as I think of them! Erin
Old 03-06-2007, 11:34 PM

I forgot to say before! I cleaned out my closet almost done but I took practically everything to the Salvation Army! The few clothes that we have in there are all used but the stuff on the shelf I haven't looked at in 2 yrs (since we moved in!) I put it all in the back of the van and took it! I feel so much better that its finally out of the house! Now to plug along and finish up!
Now when we're finished we post before and after pics here too?
Old 03-06-2007, 11:51 PM

Oh, I am so doing this! I want a lovely bedroom in a few weeks for baby boy's birth!

BBL to post stuff, but no pics yet as my camera isn't working.

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Old 03-07-2007, 12:42 AM

Hi, I'm new here!

(Actually, I've been lurking for a couple of days while figuring out how to post pictures. It's been really inspirational to see other people's progress).

We live in a small 2 bedroom apartment and have recently decided to stay here longer rather than start looking for a house. I am really pleased with our decision for so many reasons, but have since realized that I was waiting to move to have a nice living space again, instead of revamping what we already have. Since my daughter was born last January, I've just been dumping stuff and hiding stuff all over, so now it's time to declutter and reorganize. I've done a little since finding this board but I still have a long way to go.

MY MASTER BEDROOM PICTURE TOUR:
So, here's our bedroom (dh, dd and I all share it)

Walking in:
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...IMG_1627-1.jpg

On the right, dd's dresser:
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...IMG_1629-1.jpg

Standing in front of her dresser, looking at bed:
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...IMG_1631-1.jpg

View from that corner:
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...IMG_1632-1.jpg

Corner table, my dresser, laundry system:
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...IMG_1635-1.jpg

Laundry, looking out door at dh's dresser (he likes it there, I don't really get why . . .):
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...a/IMG_1636.jpg

Closeup of his dresser:
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...a/IMG_1641.jpg

Inside closet:
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...a/IMG_1640.jpg

Under bed:
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...a/IMG_1642.jpg

WHAT I LIKE BEST ABOUT MY MASTER BEDROOM
It's big. I love our bed. I love dd's dresser and the bird pictures above her dresser. The room just *feels* nice, albeit much too cluttered. I just pared down my wardrobe pretty seriously and love the simplicity of that.

WHAT I LIKE LEAST ABOUT MY MASTER BEDROOM
Only one teeny tiny window. I hate my dresser. I hate our laundry system. I am totally baffled by dh's dresser area (just outside the bedroom). Our closet is tiny and I don't totally know what I want to store in there. Also, our apartment is 250+ years old and clearly used to have a different layout, so there are three boarded up doorways in our room.

HOT SPOTS
Bedside table, closet, corner table, and under the bed. Also, rubbermaid tower of outgrown baby clothes next to dd's dresser.

MY PLAN OF ACTION -
- go through dd's clothes and give away all but my favorites.
- Organize everything under the bed.
- Look at what's in closet and decide if it really belongs there
- Decide what our corner table is actually supposed to do for the room, ditto the bedside table.
- Simplify laundry system.

Thanks for reading! I love seeing everyone else's progress!
Old 03-07-2007, 12:44 AM

It's a shame about the living in an apartment-not being able to paint thing. I saw a beautiful lightly done tree painted over a bed once that was just lovely! Maybe you could do something like that on a piece of canvas or something and hang it above the bed?

I've been kind of dragging the last two days. We did get a bit more wood off of the ceiling and I sorted through some more baby clothes.

We had two wonderful idea's though! Inspired by the suggestion to look for a dresser on Craig's list, it occurred to me that we could sell the on that I can't use along with all of the furniture that matches it on Craig's list and hopefully, hopefully, hopefully be able to use the money to buy a nice unfinished dresser for our new place! We are going to try to clean up all of the other furniture this weekend.

The second great idea was DH's. When he was taking ceiling board outside the other night he spotted the kid's unfinished playhouse and realized that we could use the scraps to finish it. I'm so glad that it will at least have a use (other then kindling!) it feels like less of a waste.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthasam View Post
Are these before or after pics Seriously... those are great before pics. My bedroom hasn't looked that clean since sometime during my pregnancy (and then only for five minutes when I was nesting lol).

You are my inspiration

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
Old 03-07-2007, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmansions View Post
If you don't use flat sheets, what do you do - use comforter covers all year long?
We don't use anything in the summer... it's way to hot and humid here! Although this summer I won't be pregnant which should help

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
Old 03-07-2007, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnMelody View Post
It's a shame about the living in an apartment-not being able to paint thing. I saw a beautiful lightly done tree painted over a bed once that was just lovely! Maybe you could do something like that on a piece of canvas or something and hang it above the bed?
Oooh, another good idea. DH is the artist around here, so I'm going to have to bug him about putting something together.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:45 AM

First of all, please don't laugh at me! I feel like such a nerd for everything I am about to say! I'm going through my huge shoe collection. I'm a pack rat as it is, and for some reason, I have serious attacments to shoes. I don't know why, but I have a really hard time getting rid of them, even if I haven't worn them in ten years! So, I'm trying to figure out if I can do something productive with some of my really old shoes that I'm never going to wear again.

I have a pair of Etnies skate shoes from 1997 or 1998. They are in good condition, and I think I only wore them a handful of times. I begged my mom for them for months, and when I finally got them, some skater boys at school made fun of me, called me a poser, and then I think I stopped wearing them (let me just say, I hated jr. high; it was a very traumatic time in my life!). Anyway, I'm not going to toss them in the trash because they are in such great condition. I wish I had thought about this two years ago, because they would have been a perfect fit for my brother, but now his feet are too big (he's 11 and he already wears a men's 10!). So for all you faithful ebayers, are these something it would be a good idea to sell there (I'm really intimidated by ebay, so I don't spend much time there. DH does, but just for car parts)? Does anyone want them for their own son (they're a size 6 in mens)?

I also have about 8 pairs of converse and creepers left over from my ultra-punk days. I actually still wear both types of shoes regularly, but these 8 that I'm talking about are pretty much unwearable, to me anyway. The creepers are all beat up, and the soles are broken in half. The converse are TRASHED- holes in the heels, really dirty, writing all over them (those would be the ones from jr. high ). So, the only reason I still have any of these is mainly for nostalgic purposes. Seriously, I have a pair of converse from 1996! I know that I neeeeed to get rid of them, but I just can't bring myself to do it. So, I either need a lot of encouragement to dump all of these old clutter monsters, or an idea on something productive I can do with them.

HELP!

Old 03-07-2007, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I also have about 8 pairs of converse and creepers left over from my ultra-punk days. I actually still wear both types of shoes regularly, but these 8 that I'm talking about are pretty much unwearable, to me anyway. The creepers are all beat up, and the soles are broken in half. The converse are TRASHED- holes in the heels, really dirty, writing all over them (those would be the ones from jr. high ). So, the only reason I still have any of these is mainly for nostalgic purposes. Seriously, I have a pair of converse from 1996! I know that I neeeeed to get rid of them, but I just can't bring myself to do it. So, I either need a lot of encouragement to dump all of these old clutter monsters, or an idea on something productive I can do with them.

HELP!
Think about it this way - what do you get from keeping them? If for nostalgic purposes, then you must take them out everyone once in a while and say 'ha!' and look them over and remember those times. Think - are you really attached to the shoes or the memories those shoes evoke? Could a picture or a set of pictures of the shoes help evoke the same memories? I say - put them on, take a bunch of pictures of them and then toss them. The pictures take up zero space and you can still remember all those shoes you had!

If that seems too hard, I would say go in baby steps. Pick one pair that were your favorite and hold on to just those if you must, and get rid of the rest.

Another useful way to think about it for me is this - if they disappeared from your life without your knowledge, how long do you think you would take before you realized it? Do you actually at any point sit and think 'remember those shoes, let me go look at them!' or are they only called to memory by the site of them? Most of the clutter in my life, I only remember exists when I see it. Very few are the items where I actually say 'Hey where did this go?' and go looking for it.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
Old 03-07-2007, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo View Post
Think about it this way - what do you get from keeping them? If for nostalgic purposes, then you must take them out everyone once in a while and say 'ha!' and look them over and remember those times. Think - are you really attached to the shoes or the memories those shoes evoke? Could a picture or a set of pictures of the shoes help evoke the same memories? I say - put them on, take a bunch of pictures of them and then toss them. The pictures take up zero space and you can still remember all those shoes you had!

If that seems too hard, I would say go in baby steps. Pick one pair that were your favorite and hold on to just those if you must, and get rid of the rest.

Another useful way to think about it for me is this - if they disappeared from your life without your knowledge, how long do you think you would take before you realized it? Do you actually at any point sit and think 'remember those shoes, let me go look at them!' or are they only called to memory by the site of them? Most of the clutter in my life, I only remember exists when I see it. Very few are the items where I actually say 'Hey where did this go?' and go looking for it.
I was thinking about just taking a picture too. I think that's a great idea, and probably what I'm going to do. You're right; I wouldn't notice for a looooong time if they were gone.

I'm going to put the Etnies on ebay though, I think. I will add them to my huge ebay pile. I'm going through the pile as part of this though, so they won't stay there long.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:13 AM

Forgot to add that I posted 7 other pairs of shoes on Freecycle. Hopefully they'll get picked up tomorrow!

Old 03-07-2007, 04:02 AM

Old 03-07-2007, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabearsoblessed View Post
i was going to say something like this, i was thinking you could always make have pockets to hold a book or glasses or something
Old 03-07-2007, 06:07 AM

Old 03-07-2007, 10:25 AM

Well, we had to take a detour into the rest of the house yesterday when I found more evidence of mice in the bedroom closet! The living room got a deep cleaning and the kitchen got an overhaul. I didn't make any progress on the bedroom, but my pantry is clean (and minty!) and we dragged the fridge out and cleaned behind it, lol.

They're probably all hanging out in the closet now, lol. I'll attack that next.

Aaaargh.

I did continue to freecycle the bedroom stuff, though! And I plowed through 3 boxes of baby clothes, repacked what I wanted and put that under dd's bed!

Jude
Old 03-07-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kateana View Post
I LOVE the switching rooms idea. It sounds like what we did when we moved our two girls into the same bedroom - instead of putting them in the bigger bedroom, we put the beds and dressers in the tiny room and turned the bigger room into a playroom. So the litte room is just for sleeping and getting dressed. It works really really well for us.

Progress here continues. I emptied about 50% of my stuff out of my dresser. I'm working on folding and sorting the remaining laundry up there. I actually got the floor clean and vacuumed!
Old 03-07-2007, 03:07 PM
DBZ

I just found this thread and I'd like to join. My room is the worst in the house. We moved from a slightly larger apartment with a cellar to this trailer. My bedroom became a huge walkin closet. It's better then it was, but I'd really like to get it right. I'll get pictures later.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

Old 03-07-2007, 04:32 PM

Judging from the pics, many of our problems come form our matresses on the floor. I am going to put up my bed and get bedrails. I can't take it anymore. :
Old 03-07-2007, 05:29 PM

So, I had a really hard night last night with DS, but I still managed to make some progress!
  • I purged seven pairs of shoes that got picked up this morning by a Freecycler, and I have nine other pairs that will be in the trash by the end of the week (see this post if you want to know why they're not there yet ). That will bring me to sixteen pairs, and my original goal was only ten!
  • I think I figured out what to do in place of a headboard! I was lying in bed nursing DS, in an oxytocin/prolactin induced state , when I had an idea! I decided that we're going to get an oblong (very long, since we have a king) painting canvas, and do...somethting...on there, with the colors from our linens. My first idea was our family's handprints, but then I realized that 1)It would take a lot of handprints from the three of us to cover the entire canvas, and 2)it would look like a little kid's headboard. So, then I thought about something with Bible scripture regarding families and the home, tying in our family too. DH is a wonderful artist, so he could definitely pull it off. If all else fails, I think we could do something abstract. DH doesn't do abstract art, but I've always wanted to experiment with it, somewhere along the lines of filling balloons with paint and throwing darts at them (yes, I saw that in Princess Diaries). This morning I talked to DH about it, and he really likes the idea, but he wants to go for more of an actual painting than abstract art, which is totally fine. He even had the idea of shoeprints from all of those infamous shoes that are getting dumped, but I haven't figured out yet if he was kidding or not! We won't be starting for a few weeks, because we have to conquer the clutter before we can justify decorating, but I'm so excited!

Old 03-07-2007, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not much progress in the bedroom the last two days.

But!

I put away a basket of ds's clothes while standing at his dresser and I have to say I LOVE this method. Thank you for sharing it! Usually I sit and fold laundry, only to put it into a basket and not get it put away because someone usually needs some attention.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triscuitsmom View Post
Are these before or after pics Seriously... those are great before pics. My bedroom hasn't looked that clean since sometime during my pregnancy (and then only for five minutes when I was nesting lol).

You are my inspiration

Thanks

It took a long time to get here, and I'm still not 100% happy with it, but I don't have stress when I enter the room anymore and that was my main goal!

User Tag List