"M" is for March and Master Bedroom Challenge - Come Join! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 241 Old 03-12-2007, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started work on the closet in DS's room, which is our storage closet - it's a mess in there right now! I also found two pictures to hang in my room by the windows.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#182 of 241 Old 03-13-2007, 09:53 AM

i made some progress, i weeded though some of my clothes that were piled ontop of the dresser. i got rid of two white garbage bags full, and found about two boxes of stuff i could add to my tag sale corner of the basement.
now gtg, just heard the sound of playing in the toilet...
#183 of 241 Old 03-13-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Did you paint yours? I loved the sculptural quality of mine so much I just couldn't(they both have the full torso and arms, though the hands are folded around the belly differently - the one in my room as them both underneath, the one in the hall has one on top and one on bottom).
I didn't paint it, but I think about painting it a couple of times a year! I can never quite decide. I'm seriously afraid of ruining it. I suppose worst case I could just paint over it again, right?

Yours has a fabulous sculptural quality! It's really beautiful. Mine doesn't have arms or anything. I'm very short and have big babies, so I tend to form more of a blob then a series of graceful intricate curves! I am going to have to paint it with something just to try to make it safe for it to come into our new house. Whether or not I just leave it a solid color or not still stands to be determined. I actually think I might work on this today.

I'm about to go post pictures and an update on my blog. I'll come back with a link when I'm done. I'm not real thrilled with our progress. Why oh, why does life have to be so slow and tedious sometimes?? I'm currently seeking instant gratification...
#184 of 241 Old 03-13-2007, 02:10 PM

Well, my bedroom looks alot better right now! My closet is still a mountain of clothes, but the room itself is loads better.

Stuff I did on Sunday...

~No more piles of clothes around the room (granted, some are in my closet now, but if I go into labor at any moment, I just don't care about the closet as much)
~The cosleeper is now out in the shed, and the pallet on the floor for the kids is gone. (They have been transitioning to there own beds, and using a pallet in our room. They both have been in there own beds for a couple nights now!)
~The changing table is mostly organized and our birth kit got here so thats on top!
~The laundry is caught up and has stayed manageable.
~The dresser is mostly cleaned off, and Hubby said he would use a little box for all his stuff (cellphone/checkbook, etc that stays there)

Woot!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#185 of 241 Old 03-13-2007, 04:20 PM

We've been plugging away here, but it feels like slow-going. I think I liked joining in the middle of the month and cramming to make the deadline better... having the whole month is just letting my house stay messy for longer. Who knows, though. Maybe by the end, I'll be able to see just how much we did and be glad I had a whole month!

What we've done since last posting:
*Found our seasonal clothing and weeded out what we won't wear, making another huge garbage bag of clothes to give away. Our plan is to keep all of our clothes in the closet, and just put the out of season stuff on top shelves so we don't have to dig it out every season. Also, seeing all of our skinny clothes is inspiring. DH has such nice skinny clothes! We both want to lose some weight (30-me, 50-DH) so we can wear them again!

*Found 2 under-the-chair-office-mats for the craft/office area. DH is buying them today from craigslisters at $5 each. woo-hoo! Also, found about 15 3-ring binders to put all my knitting patterns in!

*Got sidetracked and sold our entertainment center (we have no TV), and are instead buying a pimp bookshelf from IKEA today. Yay! A place to put all of our books! -This is in the living room, so we're kindof getting ADD about this whole decluttering thing and doing a little here and there... that's what I get for joining at the beginning of the month!

I'm off to try to straighten up a bit befors DH gets home with our stuff!
#186 of 241 Old 03-13-2007, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
After a week of not getting anything done in the bedroom (and not much elsewhere either), I managed to clear off the ironing board that was sitting out since my last sewing project and put it away. I picked up all the kids toys, swept the bathroom tile and vacuumed the carpet.

Tomorrow I'd like to:
  • finish cleaning out the crib
  • put the large box of yard sale items under the crib
  • put the box of toys for yard sale in a hidden location
  • clean bathroom vanity area

I only have a week and a half left for the month as we'll be going out of town on the 23rd for the last week of the month. So whatever I get done before then will be it for me this month.
#187 of 241 Old 03-13-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C View Post
Week 2: Empty T-shirt drawer. Limit to 15 or so T-shirts. That ought to be enough for anyone. Model this clothing pruning for 4 year old and see if we can get her to do same.
It is a small, small accomplishment, but I just purged about 20 T-shirts and left myself with 16. And I got rid of 5 other misc. shirts. Both of my shirt drawers now have about 2 inches of clearance from the top where before they were not closing without stuff hanging out.

I tried to get the 4 year old to purge some shoes but she won't budge. I'll see what I can do about the shirts that her belly hangs out of. sigh....

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#188 of 241 Old 03-14-2007, 12:36 AM

I updated my blog. Not a ton of progress, but slowly plugging along.
#189 of 241 Old 03-14-2007, 02:36 AM

I have a question... I know this One Room Challenge stuff was started with a poll, so I was wondering: are the next months' challenges going to go according to the original poll's results, or will there be a new poll?

As for our personal progress... We did a lot elsewhere in the house, which I talked about earlier. It feels good, but my house is trashed from all of the half finished projects. DH and I are going to go to town on straightening it up so it's livable before he goes to work tomorrow night. :

I just got done making a more detailed list, with a timeline, of what I want to do by the end of the month. I think I was scatterbrained about it because my original list was vague and not organized by date. So, now I know what I have to do by the end of each week, and I think I can be more focused now.
#190 of 241 Old 03-14-2007, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Last night I got the urge to clean some. I got some unsettling news yesterday and I needed the distraction. So now I only have half of my list to do today. I think I'm going to add one more thing: clean the carpet. It's freshly vacuumed and toy-free so it would be a good time for that.
#191 of 241 Old 03-14-2007, 01:21 PM

Well I was decluttering my magazines and was thumbing through a Martha that had an article on wallpapering your closet. So I got inspired and wallpapered my closet. Now back to realy decluttering....

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#192 of 241 Old 03-14-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalulu View Post
Well I was decluttering my magazines and was thumbing through a Martha that had an article on wallpapering your closet. So I got inspired and wallpapered my closet. Now back to realy decluttering....
That's how I like to declutter! Like right now, I'm sitting at the computer looking at fabrics and thinking about making curtains... :
#193 of 241 Old 03-14-2007, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnMelody View Post
That's how I like to declutter! Like right now, I'm sitting at the computer looking at fabrics and thinking about making curtains... :
I'm the saaaaame way!

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#194 of 241 Old 03-14-2007, 07:13 PM

I am wondering if this is just not the time for me to do this because I can't seem to get into dealing with my bedroom. I thought if I had all you mamas for inspiration that it would get me moving. But it ain't working.

I think the issues with this space (and several other areas in our house) are too big to be addressed right now, without DH's support and without a budget to work with. We need furniture (like shelving and "display" type things), we need artwork, we need window treatments and it all just is not in the cards right now. We also need DD's room to be done so we can put her stuff in there (even if she still sleeps with me) which will take care of much of the MBR mess.

Ack, excuses. But they are real issues for me right now. I have a whole list of "domino effect" projects like this, where one needs to get done before something else can be completed. The drag is that even more of them will be on hold b/c my DH wants to start night school this winter, and he's the one doing most of the projects - saves us a ton of money that way. At least we have agreed in the meantime to really focus on the upstairs and yard, and delay the basement remodel til he is done with school.

OK. That's that with my little whinefest. I am going to work on self-motivation to deal with what I can still do this month, even if I don't complete all the goals I listed earlier.
#195 of 241 Old 03-14-2007, 08:36 PM

MY MASTER BEDROOM PICTURE TOUR

Video Mess
We are video junkies. I need to definitely get rid of a bunch...

Dresser from Bed
This area I am actually cool with....

Dresser from the doorway
This dresser is on the wall adjacent to the other dresser. I didn't open the drawers, but they are overflowing with dh's tshirts...

Closet across from Video disaster
Yikes...I have too many clothes...most are from when I was a corporate girl...plus, all the blankets and sheets are just stuffed in there...

Bed from doorway

WHAT I LIKE BEST ABOUT MY MASTER BEDROOM (Include a picture!)

It is ginormous! Even our new king size bed doesn't dwarf it's size...

WHAT I LIKE LEAST ABOUT MY MASTER BEDROOM

We have a tv in here. Unfortunately, dh can't fall asleep with it being on. We are movie addicts, so we have about 4-5 hundred movies on the shelves and in the boxes....Plus, my closet is too small. DH has his own in another room...

HOT SPOTS (spots in your room that tend to collect clutter)
The floor...it tends to be a dumpster for everything....mostly laundry

MY PLAN OF ACTION -
~Cut my clothes by 3/4
~Cut the movies in half
~Maybe rearrange so that the tv isn't facing the bed and make a separate seating area....We're trying to get this vintage VW van seat that has been converted to a sofa off of freecycle...

I know I'm late, but better than never!! Any ideas will be appreciated....
#196 of 241 Old 03-15-2007, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmansions View Post
I am wondering if this is just not the time for me to do this because I can't seem to get into dealing with my bedroom. I thought if I had all you mamas for inspiration that it would get me moving. But it ain't working.

I think the issues with this space (and several other areas in our house) are too big to be addressed right now, without DH's support and without a budget to work with. We need furniture (like shelving and "display" type things), we need artwork, we need window treatments and it all just is not in the cards right now. We also need DD's room to be done so we can put her stuff in there (even if she still sleeps with me) which will take care of much of the MBR mess.

Ack, excuses. But they are real issues for me right now. I have a whole list of "domino effect" projects like this, where one needs to get done before something else can be completed. The drag is that even more of them will be on hold b/c my DH wants to start night school this winter, and he's the one doing most of the projects - saves us a ton of money that way. At least we have agreed in the meantime to really focus on the upstairs and yard, and delay the basement remodel til he is done with school.

OK. That's that with my little whinefest. I am going to work on self-motivation to deal with what I can still do this month, even if I don't complete all the goals I listed earlier.
Whether or not you do the big projects you have in mind or not, you can at least go through your things and purge and reorder so that when you have the money/time/energy for the bigger projects, you have that part already done. We're painting this summer, supposedly, but I still have to live in this room now. I know it's not the same thing, but at least things are paired down so I'm not trying to do all that then. You don't have to have the finished product now. Do what you can.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#197 of 241 Old 03-15-2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annakiss View Post
Whether or not you do the big projects you have in mind or not, you can at least go through your things and purge and reorder so that when you have the money/time/energy for the bigger projects, you have that part already done... You don't have to have the finished product now. Do what you can.
: I desperately want to paint right now, but we're waiting on the $$$$... Plus, I have so much to do in each room, that I would never get it all done in one month! I'm basically doing everything I can do for free right now, and then doing the other stuff as I get the funds.

OTOH... if you want to do another room instead, maybe you'll join us next month?
#198 of 241 Old 03-15-2007, 01:47 AM

I've so in on this one. I've actually been working on this, but I am just slow on posting my entry. I know, a week late, shame on me.

MY MASTER BEDROOM PICTURE TOUR
View from the door
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...m/P1010052.jpg

from the bed
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...m/P1010054.jpg

closet
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c92/Kissum/clean.jpg

The bed? I'm not that fond of this room actually!

WHAT I LIKE LEAST ABOUT MY MASTER BEDROOM- It's tiny. 12x12 I believe. We live in a pretty teeny apartment,

My desk, the closet, under the bed

MY PLAN OF ACTION - here is where you can be as agressive or laid back as you like. If you want to list a series of goals
1) fix the closet doors (one is off)
2) I'd like to organize the shelves in the closet, there is just stuff thrown up t here.
3) I really need to put some art up!
4) clean out the drawers in the bedstands (one in the closet, one next to it)
5) Try to figure out if there is a better space arrangement in this tiny room! I'd like to have the computer and the bed not on the same wall, but I don't want the bed blocking the closet either.

ETA: If I get that done, I really want to paint at least one wall! White is so boring!
That's it!

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#199 of 241 Old 03-15-2007, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Ugh, I've lost momentum. The walls are stripped, but need to be scraped of glue and spackled then primed and painted, so there is a whole pile of stuff in the center of the room which needs to be sorted through and trashed most likely. I need to work on cleaning the rest of the house this morning, but I'm thinking this afternoon I'll commit to at least putting an hour in.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#200 of 241 Old 03-15-2007, 04:18 PM

Making progress. We painted the walls and moved in some furniture. We just bought a headboard at the Pottery Barn outlet for $150 last night. We will put it up tonight. All I really need now are two lamps and one bedside table.
#201 of 241 Old 03-15-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo View Post
Ugh, I've lost momentum. The walls are stripped, but need to be scraped of glue and spackled then primed and painted, so there is a whole pile of stuff in the center of the room which needs to be sorted through and trashed most likely. I need to work on cleaning the rest of the house this morning, but I'm thinking this afternoon I'll commit to at least putting an hour in.

I felt that same way last month with the kitchen. I ended up taking a wall that needed minimal spackling and just working on that until it was done so I could say I finished something.

Did you pick a color?

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#202 of 241 Old 03-15-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I loved that article! It is what created my idea. We have a walk in closet in our bedroom that is a fairly good size. About 10x5. What I want to do is paint each wall a different color. I am just waiting till we pick some colors, and then I really want to work on it. I thought jewel tones would be really neat. Deep golden yellow on one wall, deep ruby blue on another, a pinky ruby color and maybe a deep emerald green. Really bright intense colors just for something exciting. Our whole house is basic antique white, so the splash of color in the closet would be fun!
#203 of 241 Old 03-15-2007, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I felt that same way last month with the kitchen. I ended up taking a wall that needed minimal spackling and just working on that until it was done so I could say I finished something.

Did you pick a color?
Not specifically, but I decided I'm going to do yellow. Something that gives me a summery beachy feel I think.

#204 of 241 Old 03-16-2007, 02:43 AM

I thought that I had already joined, but I guess not - I've been reading along though... anyway - here goes...

MY MASTER BEDROOM PICTURE TOUR:
This is entering our bedroom http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...ristmas047.jpg
When you first walk in and look to the right http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...ristmas059.jpg
The far side of the bedroom (on the other side of bed) http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...ristmas050.jpg

I like that it's the largest room of our house

WHAT I LIKE LEAST ABOUT MY MASTER BEDROOM
I don't care for the carpet - it's the only room in our home with carpet - we hope to put down some wood soon

Every surface - our room becomes the dumping ground!

MY PLAN OF ACTION -
I will clean out under the bed and chaise lounge
Organize ALL clothes and get rid of things we don't wear
Finally get around to listing all of our stuff to sell on Ebay

any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Lee Ann ~ SAHM to Carolina(4)uc.jpg, Aurora (2)uc.jpg, and belly.gifwith #3 - due in December!
#205 of 241 Old 03-16-2007, 02:58 AM

well i got kinda stalled on the bedroom, because on saturday i made two huge holes in the shower wall . i was trying to remove old caulk and redo it, well there was a bit of damaged wall. so i finally got to replastering the wall tonight. i can't wait to paint it over and finally take a shower!!!
hope to go through more clothes tomorrow, we will be snowed in for the day i think.
#206 of 241 Old 03-17-2007, 11:12 AM

Well, after a very productive first few days (wherein I emptied my closet) I have made zero progress in the last 10 days. Goals for this weekend:

1. My dresser, inside and out. Purge clothes. Really. It's full of stuff I don't wear, even after I took half of it out. So out goes another half. And the top... that's a project for naptime, I guess.

2. Finish getting all of everyone else's laundry out of my room. This has been happening very gradually, but the good news is that nothing NEW has come in. I've been using the fold-by-the-dresser trick, and I have not accumulated any more in my room! And though I haven't made any forward progress, my closet is still clean. So not much momentum, but at least no backsliding.

Still two weeks left.
#207 of 241 Old 03-18-2007, 06:02 AM

Well, I didn't have big plans for my room, but I did manage to store some of DD's "baby" toys/soft books and I got the catch-all basket off my dresser

I also emptied the top drawer of my nightstand and now DD uses it to store her library books (we co-sleep and read her books at bedtime). Now, I won't have a stack of Maisy books on my nightstand anymore
#208 of 241 Old 03-18-2007, 03:31 PM

I actually did mine last night. I still haven't joined the thread, lol, but I have been following along. I will try to post pics tonight!

I need to go back and post my finished kitchen too...
#209 of 241 Old 03-18-2007, 04:43 PM

I've really made a dent today. I tackled my dirty laundry, seperating it and I've been doing loads all day. I'm determined to get that done tonight. I also cleaned up the computer area, my dresser and nightstand I emptied the dresser completly and now I have a bag of clothes for goodwill
#210 of 241 Old 03-20-2007, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

I'm losing steam, definitely need to build that energy back up!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page