"M" is for March and Master Bedroom Challenge - Come Join! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 241 Old 02-28-2007, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
March "Everyone do the same room" Challenge - The Master Bedroom!

By popular vote (the vote we took before starting the Feb challenge)- the second Monthly One Room Challenge will be the Master Bedroom! (We'll take another vote at the end of March.) The idea behind the Monthly One Room Challenge is to have us all work on the same room in our houses together! (If you want more background, you can see the discussion of this idea here and the poll (now closed) here, or last month's challenge here! - though reading those threads aren't necessary to understand)

Here is how it works:

1. Clean and tidy your Master Bedroom like you would any day - don't delve into organizing and decluttering yet, just get it to its typical everyday clean/picked up state.

2. Take pictures! Make sure to take pictures of everything - open all the closets, drawers, etc. Show us all the various spaces inside and out.

3. Post your before pictures on this thread by March 7th. (Just a guideline to get you motivated!) Copy and paste the form below and answer the questions (and feel free to add your own if you think of them!). Give us a tour of your kitchen, point out your problem areas, what you want to change, point out what you like. Feel free to ask for others opinions or advice! Use the form I've posted below - tell us your plan of action and checklist if you have one. Of course you can enter midmonth, I just put the date to encourage people to get their pictures up in the first week so we have the month to work!

4. Declutter, Organize and Simplify away! Use each other on this thread for support, advice and inspiration! Feel free to share more pictures along the way if it inspires you or if you are excited about something maybe someone else might like to try too! Feel free to include decorating and other homemaking activities in this challenge if that is part of your plan for your room.

5. March 31st - Post your before and after pictures! Ding Ding Ding - time is up! At the end of the month, we'll all take pictures of how our roomslook and post them with the original shots for a before and after! Heap each other with praise and admiration for a job well done!

Notes: :

The inspiration for this idea is that we all be working on the same room, or similar ones, so lets try to keep this thread to discussions of Master Bedrooms. Next month we'll pick a different room to work on (or if you think there are enough people interested, start a challenge for those of you who are done with your Master bedroom!). Please don't let this discourage you from working on another room, I'm just asking that if you want help with another room, please just post on another thread. The Monthly challenge thread is always lively and a good place for posting that sort of thing.

You are welcome to participate without sharing pictures if you like, I just think it will be fun to share visuals to help each other brainstorm as well as have the fun of seeing the before and after shots. So many of us had fun sharing pictures of how our houses looked dirty, I figured we'd really get a kick out of showing off what we've done. However, feel free to join and contribute without pictures if you prefer.

CUT and PASTE this form to "enter" the challenge:

MY MASTER BEDROOM PICTURE TOUR

WHAT I LIKE BEST ABOUT MY MASTER BEDROOM (Include a picture!)

WHAT I LIKE LEAST ABOUT MY MASTER BEDROOM

HOT SPOTS (spots in your room that tend to collect clutter)

MY PLAN OF ACTION - here is where you can be as agressive or laid back as you like. If you want to list a series of goals

Photobucket Tutorial
If you don't know how to post your pictures, here is a quick tutorial. Feel free to ask for help! www.photobucket.com is a free site you can upload and share pictures from, feel free to use whatever method you wish, I just thought I'd post this for anyone who didn't know how to share their pictures.

1. Take your pictures with your digital camera - if you have a really high megapixel camera, take the pictures on a lower size and compression setting so they are not excessively large to make upload times quick - download the pictures as usual.

2. Go to www.photobucket.com - click 'join now' in the upper right corner, or the big red register button in the middle left. Follow the instructions for opening an account.

3. Once you have an account, go to www.photobucket.com and login in the upper left corner. After logging in you will be presented with a page which says 'Upload Images and Videos' - Click the 'add more images' link below the choose and image box, this will give you more boxes.

4. In each box, select browse and find your picture on your computer, you need to select a seperate image in each text box. If your run out of boxes, select 'add even more' - 20 is the limit at any one time, so if you have more than that, upload the first 20 and repeat this step and the next.

5. Once you have selected all the images, click the upload box. It will take a little while to upload. Once its uploaded, it will have an offwhite box in the center of the screen that says 'images uploaded' but otherwise looks the same as the previous screen. Scroll down to the bottom of this page and you will see your uploaded images.

6. Beneath each image is 3 text boxes. For each image you want to share, select the URL in the 'URL Link' text box and cut and paste it into your post. The link will automatically become 'active' (blue and clickable) once you submit your post. If you want to have active text like this, rather than a url like this http://www.mothering.com/, then write out hte text you want to be linked, highlight it, then click the little world with the link in the formatting bar above the post box (under the smiley face) and paste the URL into that box and click okay. It will enter the appropriate formatting into your post box.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#2 of 241 Old 03-01-2007, 09:24 AM

I'm here!!!!

be back later

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
#3 of 241 Old 03-01-2007, 10:04 AM

Gotta clean up, then we will have pictures : This is literally my worst room....
#4 of 241 Old 03-01-2007, 11:35 AM

I've got to get DH on board. It might be a futile exercise.

I've already decluttered my wardrobe. I can open and close my dresser easily. The closet is great (my side anyway). My nightstand could probably use a cleanout.

Looking forward to everyone's pictures.

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
#5 of 241 Old 03-01-2007, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh, I think I can do this. Thanks for the photo tip, I've never been able to figure that out before!

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#6 of 241 Old 03-01-2007, 12:24 PM

I am on board, this is my first!!!! Kinda nervous!:
I have my daycare kids over here today, but I will try asap to get pics.
#7 of 241 Old 03-01-2007, 01:43 PM

I'd love to work on our bedroom, but I don't have a digital camera to take pictures..
Can you just take my word for it that it needs some work?

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#8 of 241 Old 03-01-2007, 03:51 PM

WHAT I LIKE BEST ABOUT MY MASTER BEDROOM
It is a good size room and I have 2 closets.

I don't seem to have any room. I think it could be rearranged better

Everywhere!! My floor is a magnet as is the closet and chaise lounge that I have.

MY PLAN OF ACTION - here is where you can be as agressive or laid back as you like. If you want to list a series of goals.

1.clear the floor
2.move asian screen to another room
3.make a reading area
4.rearrange furniture
5.organize closets
6.convince DH to go through his wardrobe
7.go through my wardrobe(again)
8.move items that don't belong to where they go.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#9 of 241 Old 03-01-2007, 04:49 PM

I would like to join in, but I doubt I will post pictures... I'm a little about sharing bedroom pix. (If I do something really fab, I may post an after pic or 2, though.) Mostly, I'll just lurk and try to get some inspiration.
#10 of 241 Old 03-01-2007, 04:51 PM

Oh... I have been wanting to do something with the mbr. I'll get some pics when ds wakes. I know I want to paint. I have just been putting it of b/c I have a toddler and a crawler. : Any suggestions on colors? I have some nutmegish colored velvet drapes I hope to use. Other than that, it's an empty room.
#11 of 241 Old 03-01-2007, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKmama View Post
I would like to join in, but I doubt I will post pictures... I'm a little about sharing bedroom pix. (If I do something really fab, I may post an after pic or 2, though.) Mostly, I'll just lurk and try to get some inspiration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2babybeans View Post
I'd love to work on our bedroom, but I don't have a digital camera to take pictures..
Can you just take my word for it that it needs some work?
Nobody has to post pictures, its just for motivation, if it doesn't motivate you to do it, or you don't have a camera, etc. its fine not to!

I will say though, if you have a camera but are too embarrassed to post your pics, consider taking them anyway just for you. It's so much fun after you are done to look at the before and after, even if you are the only one looking.

#12 of 241 Old 03-01-2007, 06:24 PM

Subbing!
#13 of 241 Old 03-01-2007, 08:07 PM

off to tidy up before taking pics!

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#14 of 241 Old 03-01-2007, 08:26 PM

I'm signing up. Back latter with the details.

I didn't get much done in my kitchen last month but necessity required us to spend a lot of time getting the kids rooms under control.

-Pam
#15 of 241 Old 03-01-2007, 08:43 PM

I'm in. Our bedroom is pretty bare, but could use some organizing. I'll post pics later.
#16 of 241 Old 03-01-2007, 09:09 PM

I'm in but I feel like I'm cheating, since I recently got rid of a loveseat and some exercise equipment that was cluttering the master bedroom! I need to clean out under the bed and the drawers though.

MY MASTER BEDROOM PICTURE TOUR - coming soon!

WHAT I LIKE BEST ABOUT MY MASTER BEDROOM - the large, open space

WHAT I LIKE LEAST ABOUT MY MASTER BEDROOM - the deep burgandy carpet that shows every hair my long-haired white American Eskimo sheds plus little feathers and sequins and glitter from my daughter's dress up gear

HOT SPOTS - bottom of my walk in closet, shelf in dh's walk in closet, under the bed and nightstand drawers

MY PLAN OF ACTION - reorganize all drawers and both closets and totally clean out under the bed
#17 of 241 Old 03-01-2007, 10:18 PM

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=1BbNXLdy1YvFg

It is big, I love my big bed!

It is bland. I have alot of trouble keeping our closets under control.

Top of dresser. Sometimes we do a floor pile!

MY PLAN OF ACTION - here is where you can be as agressive or laid back as you like. If you want to list a series of goals.
Week 1 - deep clean and get rid of hot spots
Week 2 - Go through clothes, organize closets
Week 3 - Figure out window treatments and hubby nightstand
Week 4 - Hang some pictures? Look for perfect duvet cover. Make things look pretty !

Try the new link!
#18 of 241 Old 03-01-2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirkylayne View Post
http://www.share.shutterfly.com/acti...=1BbNXLdy1Yu6A

Week 4 - Hang some pictures? Look for perfect duvet cover. Make things look pretty !

Not sure if its just my computer or not but I can't see your pictures??

#19 of 241 Old 03-01-2007, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalulu View Post
Not sure if its just my computer or not but I can't see your pictures??
I can't see them either.

#20 of 241 Old 03-01-2007, 10:56 PM

i want in on this one too. i may be able to deal w/ the deadlines too, since its only 3/1!!!!

rach
#21 of 241 Old 03-01-2007, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Chaise Lounge, Dresser, Changing Table - The chaise lounge is a refugee from our large sectional that won't fit in our living room. The dresser is all DS's clothes, but I don't trust him to not throw it everywhere when he's in there alone, so, its in our room.

Another view - that fake wood thing is our humidifier, and a nightstand DH's parents gave us, complete with crap from DH's childhood.
The fleece over the windows was my attempt to see if we could keep the room warmer with them. There are mauve curtains beneath. So very 90's (original curtains and wallpaper of course)

Looking toward the door - My closet is on the right, DH's is on the left (behind the door)

Our well made beds - ha!

My closet Left and Right - My closet is odd, its obviously added on, because it has an outlet in it, and a light in it (which is nice) but its like at least 50% deeper than normal reach in closets, there is a shelf behind the black thing which is piled with barely folded clothes.

Our fabulous rubbermaid nightstand - If you are astute, you will have noticed we actually HAVE a real nightstand, but apparently its too good for us. This stores socks and underwear for DH & I.

DH's Closet Right and Left and the absurdly deep pocket to the left - I couldn't really get it in the picture, it is 3 side by side rubbermaid containers deep and I don't even know what is back there. Mine has a pocket like that, but its only 1 rubbermaid container deep.

All the rubbermaid containers are intact from the move, sans the clothing we ACTUALLY needed and hung up.

The size. It's big for our small house, the biggest single room in the whole house actually. We are thinking we'll put a master bath and walk in closet in eventually across the end of the room with the couch, dresser and changing table. We'd then probably take my closet out to widen the remaining room.

Lack of any sort of decorating scheme, lack of furniture (besides the beds of course).

Between the bed and my closet, the chaise lounge as you can see, and inside the floor of my closet.

MY PLAN OF ACTION - here is where you can be as agressive or laid back as you like. If you want to list a series of goals

Yikes, a plan. Go through everything in the closets and declutter aggressively! Not sure if I'll have time or energy for an attempt at wallpaper removal and decorating, though I should probably see how hard the wallpaper is to remove, this room at least had been painted before the wallpaper was put on (the living room and DD's room were not and were very painful to dewallpaper).

#22 of 241 Old 03-01-2007, 11:40 PM

subbing ... wish I hadn't missed the kitchen!
#23 of 241 Old 03-01-2007, 11:58 PM

Subbing... I will be back with pics as soon as I have charged batteries.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#24 of 241 Old 03-02-2007, 12:07 AM

I wasn't quite ready for the kitchen but would love to join this one. Can I play even if I don't post pics, though? (I know it's not as much fun...but hooking up my camera and trying to get it to work means another monthly challenge altogether for me - The Get-Your-Computer-System-Working-Challenge! I'm not technologically disinclined, I just have all sorts of software compatibility problems and driver issues...)

So if I can still be in, I'm in! Our bedroom is a DISASTER.
(And who knows, maybe I'll fight the computer and win one of these days...)

Jude
#25 of 241 Old 03-02-2007, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judegirl View Post
I wasn't quite ready for the kitchen but would love to join this one. Can I play even if I don't post pics, though? (I know it's not as much fun...but hooking up my camera and trying to get it to work means another monthly challenge altogether for me - The Get-Your-Computer-System-Working-Challenge! I'm not technologically disinclined, I just have all sorts of software compatibility problems and driver issues...)
Jude
Sounds like somebody needs a mac! :
#26 of 241 Old 03-02-2007, 02:01 AM

The bag that holds our gloves and other random things.

Almost shut closet

Open closet

East wall

South wall

West wall

Base

I love the color. I like our bed frame (but its not in our room right now), the mirror and the closet.

Too small

Top of anything I think you can see in the pic, the dressers, ottoman, and my knitting organizer all have stuff on top of them

1. take down ds's crib-decide if we are going to keep the mattress on the floor-when he comes in our room in the middle of the night he sleeps in the middle anyway!
2. Move the area rug from ds's room to our room.
3.Finally put up cove base along floors-we had our floors refinished over a year ago and still haven't done it!
4. Put bed frame back
5. I am not happy with our blinds. They are fairly new and I wanted to go for a green/dark red theme with a little brown. Well we don't have any red in there yet and I think the green and brown looks link mint chocolate chip ice cream. Suggestions welcome for the blinds-I would rather keep them. Maybe some kind of valance??
6. Go through clothes and shoes. I just went through them last month and ebayed a bunch but I still have some could go through. I would love to move down to only one dresser.
7. Dh wants our IKEA chair moved into the room to make a reading spot. I will try and see-the ottoman may have to move.
8. Find another home for my knitting stuff. Not sure where??
9. Maybe put under the bed storage once the bed frame is up.
10. Do something with the bag on the door knob-its been there for a few years and I hate it.
11. Find another spot for my hand wash other than the door knob of the closet.
12. Take the dry cleaning in.
13. Get down to one clothes basket-go through and do something with everything in the green one in our room.
14. more art on the walls

#27 of 241 Old 03-02-2007, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirkylayne View Post
http://www.share.shutterfly.com/acti...=1BbNXLdy1Yu6A

If you remove the www at the beginning of the link it will work.
#28 of 241 Old 03-02-2007, 04:56 AM

I'm here too! As many of you know, I'm still working on the kitchen! But, I'm here and I am dedicated to doing the master bedroom this month. We actually just swapped rooms, we have a two bedroom apartment and we just moved our bed into the smaller room. I decided that having a bed take up the bigger room just didn't make as much sense as having a bigger guest/meditation/sewing/ room! Because we have a futon in the other room, there is just so much more room to walk around in there now. So, there really isn't much in our "master bedroom" right now. I will include both of my bedrooms in this challenge, since they are somewhat entertwined and need to be done anyway.
I am having out of town guests (again if anyone's keeping track-yay I love guests!) mid month and it's a friend who's notoriously a clean freak. I really want to get everything organized and cleaned up so she feels comfortable here. Well, as clean and organized as a home with a baby can get . Hopefully she'll be so excited to be out of the cold (from MN) that she'll hardly pay any notice at all...

MY MASTER BEDROOM PICTURE TOUR: Stay tuned!

WHAT I LIKE BEST ABOUT MY MASTER BEDROOM (Include a picture!) I have south facing windows with tons of sunlight and it's always warm in there.

It really needs some color, some personality

The top of my dresser (well, one of the only surfaces in the room)
2nd bedroom- I don't know yet, we just moved all that stuff into that room.

*Decide on and order a few of our wedding prints to frame for our bedroom. I've been wanting to do this since we've been married (May 04). I may need some help choosing which ones to hang.
*Sew new pillowcases and decorative pillows. Decide on color scheme (all white now) and which bedding to use in there.
*buy some bedding for Eva's crib mattress, which is on the floor next to our bed
*buy a cabinet to organize all my crafting/sewing supplies in the second bedroom. This will make me crazy happy.
*At the end of the month, I just want to feel settled in our place. We moved in the end of Jan.

Christina, mama to 2 sweet girls

10.26.12 (HBAC!)
namaste.gif   neg.gif  sewmachine.gif   homebirth.jpg homeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#29 of 241 Old 03-02-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kateana View Post
Sounds like somebody needs a mac! :
LOL - Maybe! Or perhaps I should merely upgrade from Windows 98....
#30 of 241 Old 03-02-2007, 10:25 AM

Okay, since no one's banned me yet, I'm posting to enter. I'll try to get pics sometime also...!

In the meantime...lol at the "normal clean/picked up state!" Our bedroom has been functioning as a storage closet since we moved in a year ago. It's the only room to which dd doesn't have regular access, so we toss everything in there and climb over it to get into bed. I'm in there twice a day - once when I wake up and once when I go to bed. The rest of the day I open the door and hurl! I've been chipping away at it for a couple of weeks, but haven't made much progress.

We have a king-sized bed and big windows and on the rare occasions when it's been cleaned, it's a pretty nice place.

There's no floor space (the bed takes it all up!) and it's a big clutter nest.

HOT SPOTS (spots in your room that tend to collect clutter) My dresser. The bed. The floor. My vanity. The closets. The tops of everything. Seriously...I really should post pics!

I've been meaning to get rid of my lingerie chest thingy for weeks. In order to do that, the following needs to happen:

1. Weed out more of my clothes (I don't have that many; I weed a lot as it is.)

2. Find a new place for the things in the chest that I want to keep. I'd like to hang cloth bags on the walls for things like bras, or maybe baskets tucked away somewhere...

3. Clear off the corner bookshelf to move the tv there. (The t.v. that we NEVER use that we pay five bucks a month for...that reminds me to call DTV today and cancel that. Maybe I'll put the t.v. in the closet instead!)

4. Freecycle lingerie chest!

And then there are the other things:

The cabinets and drawers in my vanity are underutilized because I can never get to them! I need to use that space much better.

I freecycled a bunch of stuff from under my bed and now have lots of room but haven't found any underbed boxes on freecycle and so I'm not using that room very well at all. (I'm not buying stuff!)

I have dd's outgrown clothes all over the place, in cardboard boxes, that I need to sift through and decide what to keep and what to give away, and then box up, label and store (that was one of the planned uses for under the bed).

My dresser. Egads. That's about all I can say. Piles upon piles and piles and piles.

We never hung up any of the things we intended for that room, so they're in a pile. On my dresser. And our wedding collage sits on the floor against a wall. I have a full-length cheapy mirror sitting on my dresser, propped precariously against the wall. I use it all the time, and I don't know how to hang it (something about a drill, a friend told me...I barely know what that is, and dh is no better!) so I don't know what to do about that.

I've been meaning to put the pillow cover back on my latex pillow. Right now it's just in a pillowcase and I get icked out whenever my hand touches it in the middle of the night, lol.

The plants in that room are a messs - cold, neglected, dim northern light. I tend to shove the ones I like least and the ones I think might have problems in there to quarantine them. That's not helping.

Last - and least, IMO...but since we're talking about the bedroom....once upon a time, according to dh, he and I would occasionally engage in certain recreational activities. (I, however, have very little memory of this...) Somewhere in that room are mood-related items, massage oils and candles and the like, (and less savory things that I won't mention here!) I should probably find those before my landlord does the next time he's trying to fix the heater...

I have my work cut out for me, huh?

Jude

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page