What's on your bathroom counter? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 03-01-2007, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Awhile back I successfully decluttered my bathroom counter--cleaned out the cabinets and rearranged them so ALL the products/containers/hair things etc. were INSIDE the cabinets, in a user-friendly way. But then I had this big empty expanse of counter next to the sink, so I bought this little candle garden thing, which I love, but now it totally attracts junk into the little plate. Plus the toddler has become obsessed with the glass beads that lay in the plate, and the beads and the candles themselves get dusty and grody and I end up having to wash them : But if I have nothing on my counter, it looks so bare and weird!

What do you keep on your bathroom counter? Is there some simple, decorative thing I can put there that won't attract bits and pieces?

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#2 of 41 Old 03-01-2007, 01:23 PM

Heh. Isn't it funny how certain objects attract junk. You are just irresistably driven to deposit small objects there?

Mine is covered with everything. I don't have a lot of storage there and a lot doesn't fit in the medicine cabinet. I don't have enough counter to put much anyway, just a couple inches.

How about the candles without the plate?

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#3 of 41 Old 03-01-2007, 01:34 PM

I have a clock and towel on one side and a kleenex box and jar candle on the other side. I used to have the kleenex on the back of the toilet- but someone gave me some decorative butterflies and so I put them there instead-- though I don't like it, so after they visit on Friday I'm going to stash them somewhere or get rid of them, they are cute, just makes it feel cluttered and I have no where else to put them. Anyway-- I like a clean bathroom counter and mine is large- but w/ kids it makes it easier to clean- all I do is take off the little jar candle (w/ lid- so not gross on the inside) and clock and wipe it down.

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.
#4 of 41 Old 03-01-2007, 01:40 PM

For a long time, we had a little bamboo plant in a pot on our bathroom counter. The steamy bathroom environment was so good for it that it grew too big and I had to move it!
#5 of 41 Old 03-01-2007, 01:45 PM

I have a toothbrush holder, a soap dispenser, a hand towel & 2 small frames with pictures of the kids. At any given time there's glasses cases, contact cases, toothpaste, kleenex or toys on the counter, but it's actually quite easy for me to come in a put them in the drawer. I really hate a lot of clutter on my bathroom counter.

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &
#6 of 41 Old 03-01-2007, 02:01 PM

Two bathrooms have soap and a hand towel for drying hands. Our master bath (off of our family bedroom) has soap, a handtowel, and toothbrushes. That's it. I can't stand clutter. Although, dh does tend to leave a magazine on the counter in our bathroom, which I am always moving back to the basket on the back of the toilet that holds cloth diaper wipes and magazines. (and, yeah, our house has too many bathrooms for its size)

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#7 of 41 Old 03-01-2007, 03:54 PM

In bath #1 I have a soap dispenser. In bath #2 I have a soap dispenser, a toothbrush/toothpaste holder and a small rinsing cup.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#8 of 41 Old 03-01-2007, 04:03 PM

Much like zen's: soap dispenser in main bath (where she has a step stool) and soap dispenser and small mirror (that was my Grandma's) in the other (where there's no step stool).

I had to slowly take everything off the counter because it was getting tossed to the floor/chewed on/played with.

Which reminds me I was going to post a Babyproofing thread...
#9 of 41 Old 03-01-2007, 04:24 PM

We have a pretty good size counter with a sink at each end. , I have a soap dish next to my sink. In the middle are a green glass canning jar that I put cotton balls in and a green glass votive candleholder. It looks pretty and is not cluttered at all. I tried it with nothing but the soap and it looked, well, barren.

My kids' bathroom is another matter. . . the counters are too cluttered for me. I am working on what to do with toothbrushing rinsing cups since they are not disposable.
#10 of 41 Old 03-01-2007, 05:04 PM

I have a soap dish and a decorative cup (came as a set). I wanted to put a hand towel in the cup, but then my husband informed me that he uses the cup for its real intented purpose. Other than that, there is nothing on the counter. The sink is quite large so there is no room for anything else!

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#11 of 41 Old 03-01-2007, 05:10 PM

I always seem to be able to keep my bathroom counters clear. Any other flat surface in this house gathers junk :

1/2 bath: Jason Apricot liquid soap
DD's/Guest bath: Jason Apricot liquid soap (notice a trend? hee!)
Master bath: 1 candle in a silver metal holder (sort of matches the faucet)

In the master bath, we have a wall-mounted soap dish & toothbrush holder. All 3 baths have hanging handtowel holders.
#12 of 41 Old 03-01-2007, 05:37 PM

Masterbath: We have a big counter and lots of storage. All that is on the counter is the toothbrush holder and soap dispenser.

Ds's bathroom: Soap dispenser, cup and toothbrush holder.

Powder room: soap dispenser.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#13 of 41 Old 03-01-2007, 05:45 PM

An electric clock radio and a constant puddle from my messy face washing.
#14 of 41 Old 03-01-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengingophelia View Post
For a long time, we had a little bamboo plant in a pot on our bathroom counter. The steamy bathroom environment was so good for it that it grew too big and I had to move it!
That's funny--that's exactly what I have on my bathroom counter! It's more like the stalks in pebbles in a thingy of water.

I also have a small votive candle.

I had DH put up a very small decorative shelf in the bathroom on the wall above the bathroom, and I have a pic of DD in the bath when she was a week old on there, and another candle and a decorative/good smelly soap on there. That gives me a little decor but it's out of reach of DD when she's around the sink and it also makes the counter easier to clean.
#15 of 41 Old 03-01-2007, 07:28 PM

I usually have a toothbrush holder, foaming hand soap dispenser, small container of cotton balls, & a small container of q-tips. DH has recently started wearing contacts and has been leaving his contact case and bottle of cleaning solution on the counter too.

I really like for it to be free of clutter. I have noticed that if I leave anything out on the counter that it attracts more stuff and pretty soon I have the entire counter covered in clutter!
#16 of 41 Old 03-01-2007, 07:38 PM

Master Bath:
Mason jar with tubes of toothpaste (DH and I use different kinds)
Oral B Sonic toothbrush
Hairdryer (usually I'm too lazy to stick it in the drawer)
Pump Soap
Sonic cleaner for my mouthpiece

Kids Bath:
Soap Pump
Basket with washcloths

Lavatory
Soap Pump

I too hate clutter on the bathroom counter!!
#17 of 41 Old 03-01-2007, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
A soap dispenser, a jar that holds toothpaste and toothbrushes, another jar that holds hairbrushes and a handtowel.
#18 of 41 Old 03-01-2007, 09:13 PM

First floor bath has a soap dispenser and this cool decoration I bought (it is a recycled faucet with a stream of glass "water" pouring out of it)

Kid's bathroom has a toothbrush holder, their toothpaste and soap dispenser

Master bathroom has DH's electric razor stand, a lotion, toothbrush holder and soap dispenser
#19 of 41 Old 03-01-2007, 09:38 PM

Too much.

Two tubes of toothpaste *adult and kid*, toothbrush holder, electric toothbrush (I'm the only one that uses it, DH and kids use regular ones), soap dispenser, razor, eyeliner and chapstick, and a hairbrush.

We have a shelf above the actual counter, so that's where some of the stuff is.

Our upstairs bathroom counter has a soap dispenser on it and that is it. We hardly ever use that bathroom.
#20 of 41 Old 03-01-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenenlightened View Post
In bath #1 I have a soap dispenser. In bath #2 I have a soap dispenser, a toothbrush/toothpaste holder and a small rinsing cup.
Exact same at our house. Our counters are small, though, so there really wouldn't be room for anything decorative anyways.
#21 of 41 Old 03-02-2007, 12:32 AM

I'm in the clutter-free camp when it comes to the bathroom vanity. There's a soap dispenser and a combination toothbrush/toothpaste holder and that' it, in both baths. Everything else has a place in the cabinets or drawers.

I do have a decorative shelf in the second bath, however. That shelf has some shells and rocks and beach glass that we've collected on our travels, a couple of candles, and a three-pic frame with pics of each of my kids getting their first baths. I hate cleaning that thing.
#22 of 41 Old 03-02-2007, 02:05 AM

~ 2 bars of soap (one of them is permanently stuck to the counter it seems)
~ one bottle of pump dispenser soap
~ tooth brush holder (but DD keeps running off with the toothbrushes so it's usually empty)
~ DH's 2 razors, 2 sticks of deoderant, 2 bottle of cologne
~ my brush that I don't need anymore since I shaved my head.

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#23 of 41 Old 03-02-2007, 02:51 AM

Just a bottle of liquid soap. We always seem to rent houses with tiny bathrooms and tiny vanities or pedestal sinks.

Busy mama to dd 6/04 and ds 9/07. Living the dream aboard s/v Convivia.
#24 of 41 Old 03-02-2007, 12:25 PM

I don't have a bathroom counter.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#25 of 41 Old 03-02-2007, 01:45 PM

All our counter technically has on it is the kids' battery toothbrushes and one small bookrack/bookholder with first-aid/herbal/homeopathy/health type reference books. (DH's and my toothbrushes are in a wall holder that also holds a cup, and there is a wall holder soap dish and hand towel rack as well). Our tiled countertop is quite large; it could fit two sinks but we have only one. It is nearly always clear unless the kids leave a towel on it or something.

All that is around my tub is the kids' shampoo/conditioner and DH's/my shampoo/conditioner, so four bottles, though when DH's shampoo runs out we'll only have three: family shampoo, kids conditioner, adults conditioner. There is a wall soapdish and I do keep a loofah for cleaning the tub with.

On the back of the toilet is a small rectangular basket with several books in it.

We have a linen closet that has toothpaste and floss, towels, first-aid, EOs, DH's shaving stuff, a basket of misc stuff, and the cleaning stuff I use in the bathroom, plus two baskets down below - one of mama pads and one of cloth wipies.

We also have one drawer that has hand towels, handkerchiefs, and hairbrushes. Under the sink is washcloths, bathmats, trash, and recycling.

That's it!! I am proud to say my bathroom is the least-cluttered room in the house.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#26 of 41 Old 03-02-2007, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Nothing! One of the many benefits of pedistal sinks!
#27 of 41 Old 03-02-2007, 11:15 PM

I grew up with a cluttered counter in the bath and so have an aversion--so my huge counter top has: matching toothbrush holder, soap squirter, cotton ball disp, and qtip disp, a bottle of witchazel, a bar of soap. On the tank is a box of tissues and a stack of washcloths.
in the guest bath, a bar of soap (but that one has a medicine chest)
#28 of 41 Old 03-03-2007, 10:39 AM

the toothbrush holder, a bar of hand soap, a glass jar for q-tips. that's it.
#29 of 41 Old 03-16-2007, 12:11 AM

we have soap, toothpaste, tooth brushes and a candle oh and my two mini axe devil ducks...some how we have 8 rubber duckies in the bathroom for ds...small bath so i try to keep it clutter free, everything has a place!
#30 of 41 Old 03-16-2007, 12:55 AM

You've already got a pretty soap container, yes?

How about transferring one or two of the things you use more than once a day into decorative jars?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page