What clothing will my new baby need? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-07-2007, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saved a few things from DD2 to use in case we ever had another one and SIL just brought over two HUGE boxes of hand-me-downs (some we passed onto her and she's passing back, some were new to her dd, etc.). I want to have enough that I'm not stressed about laundry, but I don't want so much I feel like I'm drowning in baby clothing. Any idea on what this little one might need (i.e. how many sleep sacks? onsies? daytime outfits? etc.?)? Baby is due in June. We're using cloth diapers and both of my first two girls were 7lb 2oz at birth if that makes a difference in your suggestions. I'm going to go through everything I have based on the suggestions here and then buy things to fill in any "holes" (as in I'm not sure if there are onsies/undershirts in the boxes from SIL, but I don't have any left from my other two). Everything I've found online suggests having a TON of clothing, but I only want to do that if I'm actually going to use/need it all, yk?

TIA!!!

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2007, 03:18 AM

I am waiting for my first baby to be born right now. I was a nanny/babysitter for years and it used to drive me crazy when I'd have to root through drawers, clothes baskets, etc just to find something for the babies to wear, so here is how I have my baby stuff set up. I have all the baby's stuff in 4 drawers. Two of those are the CDs. One drawer holds the NB size and the other holds the Small size. One drawers contains 13 pairs of socks. I have lost of them so I can cover it's hands if it is scratching at its face plus it seems like baby socks disappear faster than regular socks. That same darwer also holds 4 pilot caps and some misc. stuff like nail clippers, wipes,etc. In the other drawer I have 2 footed sleepers, 2 unfooted sleepers, 2 pairs of pants, 2 onsies, 2 kimono wrap shirts. I have one thick blanket and 2 reg baby blankets. I have 2 hooded bath towels. I have a one piece sweater type suit that I can use if the weather is still cold when baby is born. I do have clothes in bigger sizes, but I have them stored in boxes in the closet until I need them. I feel like the amount of newborn clothes I have will be sufficiant although like you said, most sources say you need like 8-10 sleepers 8 onsies.......I think that if you can launder your stuff when it is almost all dirty then you'll be fine with a minimal amount.

::
Old 03-07-2007, 11:44 AM

It depends on how often you do laundry. It also depends on your baby. Ds spent the first year of his life with bad reflux. He thew up breastmilk everywhere all the time. I needed lots of sleepers and onsies, etc because I was changing him constantly. I also had a huge pile of burp cloths and recieving blankets to help catch the spit-up. I also needed lots of clothes because he likes to urp down my front while he was eating. I was doing lots of laundry.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
Old 03-07-2007, 03:12 PM

If your baby is due in june you won't need that much for clothes. Lu came at the end of april, and we hardly used any of the clothes we saved. A few long sleeve cotton sleepers, 2 cotton swaddlers, 9 onesies (3 long sleeve, 6 short sleeve, 3 tank), 2 sweaters and 5 pairs of Hanna wiggle pants were what we used mostly. The rest could have been donated.

Congratulations!
Old 03-07-2007, 03:42 PM

in little sizes, i think i have about 20 short sleeve lap tees, a few long sleeve kimono type shirts, about 5 pairs of pants and a few sleepers. then a bunch of identical socks because i think i lose about 1 sock a day. the first few months my babies have just worn a tee shirt and a diaper. they stay nice and warm in the wrap or fleece pouch and it makes for easy changes. i generally only dress them when we go out or people come over. i prefer seperates for at home and one piece outfits for the diaper bag. i like tee shirts instead of onesies because most of our pants are longies for winter or just a cute soaker for summer.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For a summer baby? Half a dozen T-shirts. That's it.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Old 03-07-2007, 04:11 PM

For my newborn (now granted she was born in late fall so we needed warmer clothes than you will) I had about 8 sleep sacks and 5 one-piece footed outfits (zip up or snap). That's basically all she wore, except a nice outfit when we went to church.

For a June baby, I'd keep about 7-10 daytime outfits (onesies, etc), plus things to sleep in. Add in a "nice" outfit and a few long-sleeved/long pants things for cooler weather, and you're set.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Pen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravin View Post
For a summer baby? Half a dozen T-shirts. That's it.
Yep! that's all. My baby wore a sling, mostly. And remember, skin cleans real quick and doesn't stain.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh, yeah, the T-shirts are for going out, for sun protection and because places here tend to crank the AC. At home, just a diaper is good.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Old 03-08-2007, 02:34 AM

I really liked the kimonos. I have no recollection about how many of what all we had. I have no recollection of anything much since her birth, really...
Old 03-08-2007, 06:52 AM

This is probably not going to be a popular suggestion here, but if you have the room you could always just take out the things you like the best and think you need the most for the first little bit--then see if you need/use the other stuff once your baby is here and if you don't, get rid of it then.

I barely buy any clothes for my DD because my sister saved all the clothes from my niece, and she had a TON of clothes for her (and really nice clothes too.) Some things that I knew that I'd never use, I got rid of right away, but otherwise I have kept them around and waited till DD was that size and then gotten rid of what I haven't ended up using, didn't fit, etc.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:56 PM

I'm due in June also and I have 8 onesies, 5 infant hats, and 8 gowns. I really don't think this enough, but I want to wait until after I have the baby to see if I'll need more.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:17 PM

No more than one drawer (in a dresser) for each size.
Before my second was born I went through all the stuff leftover from his big brother, and sorted it by size (0-3, 3-6, 6-9, 12mo) into his dresser. I found I was washing all this clothes and burp cloths and such every other day until he stopped explode-a-pooping and spitting up on everything. Now (at 10mo and in 12-18mo sized clothing) I wash his clothes with mine and his brother's once a week or two. All his current clothes are still in two drawers (mostly because I'm strill trying to sort by size, and he's wearing anything from 12mo to 24mo/2T). Even though my little guy was born in May, we still have chilly nights then (plus the whole baby-not-regulating-his-temperature-yet thing) so we got the most use out of those footy sleepers. He wasn't a fan of onesies, and with two in diapers I just didn't use his longies and tshirts much (ended up with pockets all around).

Lots of pajamas though. But that's my downfall - cute pajamas. We hang out at home so much of the time, it just makes sense to have comfy, very washable clothes. I'm almost dreading summer because I'll have to get the boys dressed - or at least in shoes and socks - so they can play outside.

Anyway, the dresser drawer has worked for me with my boys. Only time the drawers are stuffed is when a kiddo's in between sizes. Right now my 3.5yo is between 3T and 4T, so he's got a wardrobe in each size right now that I can go back and forth with.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
Old 03-09-2007, 07:39 PM

DS was born in June and wore barely anything. It was HOT that summer. When he went to daycare at about 14 weeks he wore sleepers (cotton ones in the Fall and Spring, fleece in the Winter). Around the time he turned 1 we started dressing him in summer clothes(he started walking). Sleepers were easy cause we didn't have to mess with socks. I loved rompers for the summer. I had lots of hand-me downs and lots of gifts. There was a lot of stuff we never used.

You don't really need much.

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
Old 03-11-2007, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the ideas/lists everyone!! quite helpful!

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
Old 03-12-2007, 01:05 AM

I'm not pregnant so I hope it is ok that I chime in.

I am one of those weirdos who won't take my babies out in sleepers. I figure that if *I* don't go out in pajamas then I'm not going to take my baby out in the.

So I try to keep at least a week's worth of sleepers. They usually aren't all dirty at the same time because we do laundry quite often but that way I am playing it safe in case they get peed on or whatever.

Then I try to keep some "going out" outfits. These are the cute ones.

Then I have some "staying home" outfits that are just really comfortable and good for laying around in.

But in the summer my kids usually end up going around naked or just in a diaper if we are home.

Mama to:Ben (12), Natalie (9), Zoe (5)

Old 03-12-2007, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I wouldn't keep too much in the teeny tiny sizes. I always liked to keep some "one size up" stuff readily available as extra clothing (in case baby spits up a lot, you get behind in laundry, etc) and then you have the next size available when baby outgrows things.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 03-12-2007, 07:17 PM

Every baby is different. My DD hated sleep sacks, so I bought about five and never used a single one. I had to run out when she was two weeks old to buy more onesies because she was a big spit-up baby and I couldn't keep up with the laundry.
Figure out how often you think you'll do laundry, and go from there.

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.

User Tag List