Decluttering while moving... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-18-2007, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're seriously considering a move to a town about 2.5 hours away.

That's far enough to only have to rent a small U-Haul to move the big items, and get it all done ourselves, instead of hiring an expensive service - right? (We already have a small house!)

I've already done a lot of decluttering lately, though am primed to do a LOT more as I'm packing, to save time/money/effort/future clutter! On the other hand...

I'm worried that tossing TOO much might make dd a little insecure when we get to the new place. "Mommy, where's my <thing that I haven't played with for years but remember now b/c I'm in a new place>?" :

Any suggestions?
#2 of 6 Old 03-18-2007, 10:53 PM

I'm also interested in hearing what other mamas have to say about this. We're in the midst of decluttering to get ready for a move and it's *tough* .. much harder than I thought it would be.

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#3 of 6 Old 03-18-2007, 10:54 PM

well, if you don't wanna declutter HER stuff, how about you declutter the HECK outta everything else! LOL!!
#4 of 6 Old 03-19-2007, 12:38 AM

We did a HUGE declutter when we started showing our house. We packed up everything we could stand to live without indefinitely and either sold it, gave it away, trashed it or put it in a rental storage unit.

I was amazed at how much more liveable the place was without all our junk around! It made me want to stay! Well, maybe not stay THERE, but you get my point.

So the move happened in 2 phases: the U-haul of furniture/critical stuff, then later another u-haul for the storage stuff.

I have to say, I thought I was pretty organized, but the move was a total fiasco. Timing was crucial, because we had to close on our old house before we could sign on the new one, and the truck had to be loaded/unloaded within a limited time. It turned out the truck was too small, so the night before the new owner's 7 am walk-through, we're calling everybody we know with a pickup, station wagon, hatchback, whatever! OMG it hurts to think about it even now, 18 mos later. If I had it to do over again, I would definitely hire movers. Oh, and our new house was just 15 minutes from the old one, so it wasn't even a long distance move.

Not that your experience will be like mine, of course!:

The one thing we really did right was getting rid of everything that we didn't have a foreseeable use for. For us, the biggest category was books, many of which were purchased second hand and were falling to dust. There was also a fair amount of obsolete computer stuff which was difficult to dispose of responsibly (which is why people gave it to us).

Good luck!

Dawn - Mom to : Jack 11/04 and David 5/08
#5 of 6 Old 03-19-2007, 12:43 AM

I thought I got rid of so much stuff in my cross country move, but man, somehow I still seem to have boxes of crap! Part of that is because we decluttered in some prep to move, but then had only 2 weeks notice before moving (job offer with a bonus if DH started in 2 weeks) so at the end when I probably would have been getting rid of more stuff, I was just throwing stuff in boxes and on the truck. We reached a point where it was easier for us to ship it cross country than anything else (since when the truck came, we were getting on a plane in 2 days - we didn't have time to find new homes or sell this stuff and the price of the move wasn't going to be any more or less, it was fixed).

So, I guess give yourself time!?

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#6 of 6 Old 03-19-2007, 12:53 AM

When we move next, I'm hoping that PODs service is available.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page