Yard Sale or donate? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-19-2007, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have mass decluttering to do and I just don't know if I should donate everything or have yard sales. We could really use the money and I need to buy some things for the baby, but it seems like a hassle and then I have to keep storing it.

When I have yard sales I usually make $200-$300. For some reason our state stopped allowing you to use donations as a tax credit.

We live out in the country so having one here is not an option. My mom lives 6 miles away in a subdivision so that's where I have them. I would have to spend a day hauling and setting up the stuff and then a day for the sale. That's two days I could spend decluttering.

We have a house full, an attic full, and 2 storage units of things to get rid of. A dryer, furniture, clothes, toys, appliances, books, just tons of stuff.

I'm done with freecycle, I just don't have the patience for it.

So, what should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 03-19-2007, 02:48 PM

I was thinking about keeping stuff as I go and doing a garage sale but what if I never get around the garage sale?? The lady that helps me clean the house was here and she was thrilled to take my stuff. I much rather give it to her who needs it that make money out of it *possibly* - I will sell a couple of big things (Italian Crib and a few things like that) since she doesnt have babies but the little things go to her if she wants them. I want them OUT of my house. So to me I am very choosey on what I will sell and the rest goes ASAP. It is the only way to get it out of my house fast.
#3 of 10 Old 03-19-2007, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
We just moved and currently have 14 large moving boxes full of stuff, several pieces of furniture and lots of small appliances to donate. If I had the time, space and energy I'd do a garage sale. But I don't, so we're donating everything. I thought of doing Craigslist for some of the bigger items (tv, microwave, fridge, etc) but I don't have patience for that either. I just want the stuff gone.
#4 of 10 Old 03-19-2007, 03:01 PM

Donate it, donate it, donate it!!!! Think of it as blessing someone else!
#5 of 10 Old 03-19-2007, 03:19 PM

My garage is full of stuff. I am having a garage sale. It was the only way I could convince DH to declutter. My sister is moving up her to get out of a very bad situation. She is leaving EVERYTHING behind. Whatever is left after my sale, she gets to go through and take what she wants. Then I am going to have a "free" garage sale. Then I don't have to haul it anywhere.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#6 of 10 Old 03-19-2007, 04:04 PM

Making money off some things was how I convinced DH to get rid of things too. We never got around to a yard sale last year so it is completely filling one of our shedsI told him as soon as the weather turns we're goingto have it, this stuff isn't staying in there another winter.A lot of furniture and other random stuff I've just given away along the way though.

Mom to ds 10/12 and dd 2/05 ribbonrainbow.gif

Blogging about living with xeroderma pigmentosum at www.pacificnights.org/ and about life in general at http://livingavibrantlife.blogspot.com/
#7 of 10 Old 03-19-2007, 04:08 PM

Are there any consignment stores in your area? You just drop off the stuff and they do all the work. You may not make as much as a garage sale, but it's way less work. If not, if you really need the money (I've been there) go for the garage sale. Whatever's left you can donate.
#8 of 10 Old 03-19-2007, 04:50 PM

If I could make $200-$300 I would do it!!! And maybe you could rent a small U-haul trailer or something so that you can take it over in one trip?
#9 of 10 Old 03-19-2007, 04:57 PM

Have you tried using a website like www.craigslist.com? It's an alternative to a yardsale, if you're hoping to make some money on your big ticket items.

We're hoping to have a yardsale in the spring, mainly because we've decluttered 6 large boxes of toys, and I promised my daughter that if she agreed to get rid of this stuff, we'd try to sell it so she can have some money for her piggy bank. I generally don't like yardsales, because they're so much work. And it's disappointing to go to the trouble of setting all of the stuff up, sitting around all day, and having to pack most of it back up to donate, anyway. At least, that's been my experience with yardsales.
#10 of 10 Old 03-19-2007, 06:28 PM

Hmm. I would try to pick out a few great things and ebay them, the rest I would just donate. I dont have the patience to organize a garage sale and then sit around and haggle with an old lady over a $1 item.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page