House size mini-rant - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 03-25-2007, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We found that IKEA furniture is small on scale, also. Our sectional is big in our house, but as sectionals go, it's fairly small. (we have the Ektorp...for you fellow IKEA geeks!!)

Oh, our cabinets were here when we moved here- we were told they are actually really ceapy cabinets, but we like the burls!

Our kitchen table is from Ikea- we have these trestles in white:
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...umber=88057409

with their $30 table top. Then we bought their standard Stefan chairs for one side and this for the kids:
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...umber=70087655

Yay Ikea!!!!!!

Thanks for all the compliments!
#32 of 36 Old 03-25-2007, 04:58 PM

Funny - I was just coming in this forum to vent a bit about the general nature of the construction of big houses. I shouldn't vent too much since dh is a custom homebuilder but it still sickens me. We just got back from a walk in an new development near our neighborhood and I just get sick when I see the size of the houses.

Our house is around 1400 total sqft (iirc - i have no mind for the spacial) I love the size, its really perfect for the four of us. Our neighborhood was built in the early 40's. It's 5-10m from downtown Denver, 5m from my office and sandwiched between an old, charming, way overpriced neighborhood and a brand new overpriced "urban development". The property values are climbing at a steady rate about 5% above surrounding neighborhoods so we feel like we made a great investment.

We entertain a lot and have learned to keep the size of the gatherings down in the cooler months. In the warm months the party moves outside.

The rooms are so tiny compared to "modern" standards but I think they are fine. I've even grown accustomed to the tiny closets and am much more mindful when I shop for clothes. I can't believe I once filled a 7ft closet to the brim with just my clothes...and had another chest of drawers full!!

We have 4br but the two in the basement don't have legal egress so we're going to add on a master suite and garage/workshop in about 3 years. I just couldn't sleep at night if either of the kids had their rooms down there. That will be about the time the kids are really needing separate rooms as ds will be 9 and dd will be 5. Now the rooms are used for an office and the other is a toyroom/guestroom. I LOVE having a separate toy room - LOVE IT! The laundry area is huge as is the amount of storage in the furnace room.

We also have a completely useless tiny attached garage. My van barely fits in it and so its just full of crap, oh and dh's tools - he's a carpenter. The plan is to expand the livingroom into that space and at the same time we'll open up the kitchen into that space.

We have an incredible yard which I wouldn't trade for anything. Even after the addition it will still be substantial. We're landscaping it all as we speak and its going to be such an amazing space!

I can't tell you how many times friends who live in mcmansions and even just bigger houses have walked in my house and just sighed then expressed their desire to downsize. I hate clutter so the house is comfy and clutter-free. For me, keeping the clutter down is essential to living in a small space, simply a requirement.
#33 of 36 Old 03-25-2007, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
How do you calculate the square footage of your house? I know my house is pretty small for the 4 of us, and my kids don't know anybody IRL who has so little space. It sometimes cuses problems with me not being able to fully comprehend what they're going through since I grew up in a smaller family with more space.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#34 of 36 Old 03-25-2007, 05:51 PM

I'm not sure of our current sq footage. We threw ds1 up into semi-finished attic space though so that gave us more room

Dh and I both wah, we homeschool, cook from scratch, and have 3 boys--11yo, 4yo, and little one will be 1 next month. oh--and our cat who is scared to go outside (last time she ventured out she got lost for a week!)

so anyhow--space is kind of important over here.
but the apt layout is awful! completely wasted space everywhere!

We just swapped rooms around again and we're clearing out some of the books :
I think it will be decent now

but I wonder how other people do small living spaces with older kids who need a hide away (ds1 was an only child fo so long...he really didn't do well with not having private space away from ds2 )

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
#35 of 36 Old 03-25-2007, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

I found the square footage of my house on the county tax assessor's web site.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#36 of 36 Old 03-26-2007, 01:41 AM

It can be done. I live in a 650 sq. ft. apartment. 2 bedroom, 2 bath. One bath is half-converted into laundry. One open room that is the livingroom/den/dining room, etc. We have a tiny storage space. No closets. Under the bed bins are our best friends. We're having two more kids and no plans to move.

At first I thought I'd hate it, BUT after doing this for 3 years, it's totally doable. We love it!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page