Mothering Forum banner

Moving Support Thread

16K views 312 replies 79 participants last post by  Thalia 
#1 ·
UPDATE: I started this thread almost two years ago, and now we have finally bought a place and will be moving in about six weeks! DD is now almost 18 months old!

Here's the original post:

We are currently renting but are thinking about buying a place and moving in 9 months to a year from now (Jan 08 to Mar 08).

I am trying to start thinking and planning for this NOW, because 1) we are having our first baby in July/August and 2) when we moved DH's stuff into my place when we got married, it was a nightmare. In fact, I remember him finding me in the kitchen at midnight when the movers were due to arrive at 6:00 AM, sitting in front of a box of kitchen utensils, holding a spatula, and crying.

I've learned that both DH and I are packrats, but with sufficient time, we can make good decisions. So I've been using my second trimester energy to try and declutter as much as possible.

So, anyone else planning a move in 12 months? 6 months? 3 months? Two weeks? Let's share inspiration and encouragement! I'm going to post our goals and plans here, please feel free to share yours, too. Or, even better, if you moved recently, please share your tips and lessons learned!

In post #2 of this thread, I'm putting a list of links to moving info that I've collected, as well as the good info that people are posting to this thread. If you know of other good links, please share and I'll add them to the list!

See less See more
#252 ·
We are moving too, though not til the middle of Sept. This will be my second move while really really pregnant (I am due 9/24). I am starting now with the decluttering and packing what I can...should be interesting!

#254 ·
Bump!

Just wanted to post that we have T-minus one month until moving day

Things to do:

Tell orthodontist and get xrays and records
Research new orthodontist
book car shipping date and put down deposit
continue to purge the things we dont need to move with us
give out new address to friends and family
set up job interviews for our pre-moving trip
revel in the last calm days before the storm, yikes!

#255 ·
Newcommer to this thread

We are moving from our cluttered 2300 sq foot house with a 3 car garage and waaaay too much attic... cross country... to a 1000 sq foot townhome (in our dream location).... on as small a budget as we can.
:

2 weeks to go! August 3rd is when our first tenants move in to our house.

Our goal is to use the smallest uhaul truck. 1 King (family) bed, 1 couch, clothes, a minimal kitchen, video games (I have a rediculious collection that I can't part with just yet), the toys that the kids actually like, a few keepsakes, that is all. 1) none of our stuff is worth anything, 2) replacing the necessities would be cheaper than hiring movers or renting a bigger truck or doing PODs. 3) we have always wanted an ikea house anyway.

Fortunatly we started seriously and effectively decluttering about 8 weeks ago (we hired a pro organizer before we knew about the move). The most important thing that happened with the organizer is DW and I started to feel the "purge euphoria" and we have been hooked ever since.

We made a joint decision that since the goal was to get rid of all this stuff (in just a few weeks), we would not charge for anything because we would get all caught up in how much things are worth and all that, so we have been giving all of our stuff away. We are pretty active in local message boards and DW has hosted playgroup with "bring a truck and take some free stuff." We have had at least 3 people over each night all this week to pick up loads of stuff.

this is a crazy whirlwind but when we pull through it, we will be living on the west coast and I will be working at headquarters for the giant awesome company that I work for.

#257 ·
Well, we're finally in our place! The first few nights after I got to Denmark, we were staying at DH's parents' place, since we didn't have a bed. His parents were away at the summerhouse anyway, so I didn't mind that much, but I told him in no uncertain terms that we would NOT be staying there when they return. I need to feel like I'm living here, even if sleeping on the floor, instead of as a visitor! So we slept on the floor and finally got our bed yesterday.

It's IKEA and we don't want to put it together yet until we put down the new flooring, but we have a mattress on the floor and that's a big improvement over just the floor.

It's taking the expected eternity to unpack and find things. There's still a lot more to go than has been done. Plus we need to paint every room and lay flooring in most, so we've been arguing with DH's parents over unpacking anything at all. They think it's too much work to move things from room to room as we paint/floor. I think it's too much work to live without any of my belongings.

Our next argument (and I just have a feeling it will happen later today) is going to be about gifts. DH's parents keep buying us gifts, and it's very well-intentioned and sweet, but I'm getting really, really frustrated about it. We finally have our home and we get to basically start from scratch and buy all new stuff. We've been excited about doing this, and heck, I've been looking forward to being able to do this for years! Then they go and buy flatware, pillows, tupperware, and so forth for us. It's very nice of them, but it's not the stuff that we want. We want to pick out our own damn stuff. So now I have to appear ungrateful and ask for receipts, etc. etc.

The first couple of times they bought us stuff, I didn't mind so much, but they just keep doing it! In fact, they bought us some forks and knives which I actually liked a lot and decided to keep. I finally got around to unpacking them and putting them in the kitchen, and they come by with another DIFFERENT set of forks and knives.
: Am I so strange for wanting my forks to all match each other? I mean, I'm not in college anymore!

Despite in-law frustrations, I'm very happy to finally BE in our new place. I think I'll still be hanging out here until all my STUFF is here too, and unboxed!

#258 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaveggie View Post
mama2babybeans- how did the showing go? Have you heard anything yet?
Sorry it took me so long to respond! Things have been
:
Well, the house looked amazing for the showing, so I was really optimistic. And apparently they just loved it, but decided the second bedroom was too small. I guess I can understand that.. because the woman had a teenager and teens do spend a lot of time in their bedrooms!
But I'm disappointed. It's been two months. I want this damn place sold already! We have our new place all lined up, but if our place doesn't sell soon, that opportunity will fall through.
Talk about stress!
Ugh.
I start nursing school this fall, too, and I really want to be settled before that starts. I want to set up my study and set up a corner of our room for the new baby's things.. everything feels like it's in limbo right now and it's just driving me nuts.

#259 ·
Alcyone How exciting to be living in another country. How do you like it so far? Culture shock?

RE the In-Laws problem: I totally hear you. Mine buy gifts for our daughter all the time that I just hate. Battery-powered toys, ugly cutesie clothes, plastic junk... I am constantly having to come up with clever ways to get rid of it all. I am the queen of store credit!

Maybe you could get DH to suggest gift certificates so you can have fun shopping. That's what I got mine to tell the IL's for my birthday- that I never get to buy for myself, so rather than getting stuff, I'd have more fun getting GC's so I can go shopping.

#260 ·
We've been spending most of our time inside cleaning and painting, so there are fewer opportunities for culture shock, although the light switches flip DOWN to turn on and it kinda weirds me out.
The language barrier really annoys me though. I know that nearly everyone speaks English, but I just hate doing it. And my Danish still sucks. So far I've been able to fake it, by taking reasonable guesses at what people are saying and giving short replies (usually "I don't know", or if it's a salesperson, "I'm just looking"). Grocery shopping was interesting too, mostly because I had no idea that DH had such a fondness for things like chopped makerel in tomato sauce.

Yesterday, the ILs came over to help paint, and being around them is just so draining. Their English is only slightly better than my Danish, so anything that should take 30 seconds to communicate actually takes about 5 minutes. Thus I end up not saying a lot of things I ordinarily would, because it's easier that way. e.g. instead of a simple exchange like "If you'd like carpet, there's a great store down the street." "Actually we'd like bamboo flooring." becomes "If you should have... hvad hedder det? curtains? neeeej that's for wall... oh yes carpets.... would you have carpets? there is a... hvad hedder det? store?" and then I just nod and smile, because I'm afraid that saying I don't want carpet will make it an hour-long conversation.

DH told them to take back a lot of the things they'd bought. (As in three boxes full of things.) MIL went through each item one by one and asked, "Really? You don't want this? What about this? Have you got one of these? But I thought this was nice. And this one?" Yes really, I already went through them all and put them in the boxes myself. I already know what's in them, thanks for asking. But anyway, they're gone. Except for an IKEA closet drawer thingy that they'd already unpacked and put together before I'd ever even seen the closet. Guess I'm stuck with that.

In happy news: our previously lavender and Pepto-pink foyer is now primed and ready for a coat of ANYTHING ELSE!

#261 ·
ACK!! We are moving a whole month earlier than expected!!!! We are making a local move and trying to decide (especially with the "rush") if it is worth it to hire movers or do it ourselves. I will be 34 weeks pregnant when we move so I personally will be little help. It would primarily be dh and my parents moving us. People have offered to help and if they show up, great, but I won't count on it!

What do you think??

#262 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luvourlives View Post
ACK!! We are moving a whole month earlier than expected!!!! We are making a local move and trying to decide (especially with the "rush") if it is worth it to hire movers or do it ourselves. I will be 34 weeks pregnant when we move so I personally will be little help. It would primarily be dh and my parents moving us. People have offered to help and if they show up, great, but I won't count on it!

What do you think??
Having moved once while pregnant myself, I would hire people if you can afford it. DF was so sore the next week that he could hardly help unpack, because he had to do most of it all by himself when all our friends bailed.
:

Alcyon
- Lavender and pink?? Is that typically Danish or did you just get stuck with a weird house?

#263 ·
I agree with Noli about hiring movers. Eep.

As for my ultra-Barbie color scheme, I think I just got... erm... lucky. No one that's seen it has said anything other than, "ieuw." And you should see the bathroom. Bright school bus yellow walls, ecru tile, and a royal blue toilet seat. I'm just glad the turquoise bedroom got repainted before I even got here, or I might have spontaneously combusted from over-ugly-explosure.

#264 ·
I've started moving into my new place. I can't get totally in until the first, but I can start putting stuff into bedrooms so my goal is one car load a day, and the last 2 days I've done it. And I've unpacked as I go, so I hopefully won't be living out of boxes!
Oh, and I found the coolest tool- a room planner.
http://roomplanner.icovia.com/americ...es/icovia.aspx

If you know your room or furniture measurements you can plan exactly, but I've just been setting it to my approx room sizes and it's AWESOME. Seriously, it helped me see the best place to put things before I even get there. Love it.

#265 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kissum View Post
I've started moving into my new place. I can't get totally in until the first, but I can start putting stuff into bedrooms so my goal is one car load a day, and the last 2 days I've done it. And I've unpacked as I go, so I hopefully won't be living out of boxes!
Oh, and I found the coolest tool- a room planner.
http://roomplanner.icovia.com/americ...es/icovia.aspx

If you know your room or furniture measurements you can plan exactly, but I've just been setting it to my approx room sizes and it's AWESOME. Seriously, it helped me see the best place to put things before I even get there. Love it.
That is SO cool!!!
Thanks for the link!

#266 ·
Well, I took another car load over today! I didn't get it unpacked though, since the LO decided it was bed time.

I'll just have to do it tomorrow
I am really liking brining it over 1 car load at a time though, so I am getting organized as I go. So the day I really move in I will be mostly unpacked

#267 ·
Quote:

Well, I took another car load over today! I didn't get it unpacked though, since the LO decided it was bed time.

I'll just have to do it tomorrow
I am really liking brining it over 1 car load at a time though, so I am getting organized as I go. So the day I really move in I will be mostly unpacked

How do you do that without the furniture? Everything I have goes into or onto some piece of furniture that I wouldn't be able to fit in the car. I'd have books stacked on the floor, knick knacks getting kicked over, miscellanea strewn about...

#269 ·
can i join you all on this thread?

we are moving on Aug 22 from CA to OR

we have hired movers...

i have been getting rid of as much as possible...
and packing up anything we dont use all the time as well.

i have a huge pile growing on my deck to get rid of to goodwill too!!!

its so much work...i havent moved in nearly 7 years!!!

#270 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoliMum View Post
How do you do that without the furniture? Everything I have goes into or onto some piece of furniture that I wouldn't be able to fit in the car. I'd have books stacked on the floor, knick knacks getting kicked over, miscellanea strewn about...
I've been grabbing clothes, smaller furniture that will fit in my car (IE Arabella's bench), and I just bought a new living room set so I had that delivered early, so that helped. I was able to bring over paintings to hang on the walls, etc.

I am paying someone $150 today to move my big furniture! So th en I will just have some small stuff left to bring over myself! YAY! I am hoping to be all the way in by tomorrow.
:

#271 ·
Quote:

I've been grabbing clothes, smaller furniture that will fit in my car (IE Arabella's bench), and I just bought a new living room set so I had that delivered early, so that helped. I was able to bring over paintings to hang on the walls, etc.

I am paying someone $150 today to move my big furniture! So th en I will just have some small stuff left to bring over myself! YAY! I am hoping to be all the way in by tomorrow.
:
We ended up bringing stuff over early, too. Not much, just a car full, but still- it helped make it easier on the guys when they loaded the U-Haul.

We are moved in officially!! Unfortunately due to lack of time/babysitters/good planning, I couldn't clean the last place as much as I wanted. I hope we get our deposit back. The electricity was cut off so I had to clean in the window light and use a battery operated mini vac, which didn't do much. I only had an hour, so I didn't get to sweep properly, mop, or really clean decently at all. I even had to leave some empty boxes and trash in the garage. I've become that kind of person I've always hated, leaving the house a mess for the next people to clean up.
:

And as usual, I didn't have time/resources to clean the new house before we got all our stuff in. So we are walking on dirty floors, getting our feet black by the end of the day. I've only given Noli one bath in the last week and a half because I haven't had time to scrub the tub and I hate putting her in it when it's dirty.
:

#272 ·
My place new place is dirty too.
I hear you on the dirty feet!!!

I just haven't had time to clean it, I'm still unpacking.

I was way over ambitious on trying to be totally out of the old place by Sunday, but I did get everything out by Thursday. So everything is at my new place, it just needs to be unpacked.

It's slow going! I have family in town for a week starting today and I am trying to get things somewhat together because I know they will insist on coming over today to see.

#273 ·
I left my old place a mess (as I detailed in a previous post about my near nervous breakdown) and received about 40% of my deposit back, which is about 40% more than I was expecting.

New place still needs more cleaning, but it didn't take all that long to make it pretty decent. Pulling up the carpet made a huge difference!

The previous owner built a closet into the bedroom, and DH and I are debating whether to remove it. We're both pretty unimpressed with it, but are unsure if we want to put the extra effort into doing something else. Our next big task is to lay down new flooring, so I think we should decide soon.

#274 ·
OMG!!! I have only 10 days until we move!!! I have been packing some every day...have a considerable trash pile (where does this stuff come from???) and am in the midst of a dismally pathetic yard sale, which will be a free sale this afternoon.

I was thinking I was making really great progress until I looked at the actual number of days left!!!! This is scary! I am thinking now I need to step it up some.

what I have done so far: the boys closets are almost completely empty and MOST of thier toys are already boxed up so that the house stays neater during the rest of the packing, our closet is at about 50% mostly because of purging books and outgrown clothes (which thankfully are clothes that have outgrown us not the other way around LOL!!), the bathrooms are free of the non-essentials, as is the kitchen...though with kitchens doesn't it seem EVERYTHING is essential. I am having a hard time figuring where to go from here.

Any suggestions??

Amanda

#275 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MorganRiley View Post
can i join you all on this thread?

we are moving on Aug 22 from CA to OR

we have hired movers...

i have been getting rid of as much as possible...
and packing up anything we dont use all the time as well.

i have a huge pile growing on my deck to get rid of to goodwill too!!!

its so much work...i havent moved in nearly 7 years!!!
We're moving on the 22nd as well: WA to CA bay area. How far along are you with the packing? I think we are 50%plus done, maybe? I've been doing most of the packing because most of it is mine, but dh visited this weekend and we got the office stuff boxed up. He's already living down in CA so I gotta do most of it. I have 6 days of work left and I'm already starting to sort of freak out because there is so much stuff in the kitchen! I think I'm going a little kookoo
: !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.