Moving Support Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-14-2007, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2babybeans View Post
Just wanted to vent to people who might understand..
We went to look at a house today. Exactly in our price range- in the lower range, even. It was beautiful.. *sigh* so perfect for our family.
It was just listed this week and by the time we got there, it was already under contract
I want to cry.
I know what is meant to be will be, but it's still hard.
We weren't quite ready yet, anyway.. ours won't be up for sale for a few more weeks, but..:

We looked and looked since Novemeber and we finally found the one. I too felt this frustrations and sadness when something fell through and my husband would tell me, hunny they call it house hunting for a reason... its not called house finding. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2007, 11:32 AM

Hi ladies!
So glad I found this thread-we moved from MD in Sept to VA (8 hrs away) so dh could take a new job-moved in with his family (for 5mos w/2 babies and 5 pets omg!)-finally in Feb moved to an apt closer to dh work, on our own again-house in MD finally has a contract due to settle Apr 27 and we've found a house here-hope to settle here on Apr 30...so another move in 3 weeks people. i'm about to lose my mind just thinking about packing and unpacking again-ack!

we did purge a lot during the first move but i now have things the youngest babe has outgrown that i need to decide to keep (for a future babe?!?!) or declutter before this next move...i'm so sleep-deprived i don't feel up to any decisions.

anyway, glad to know i'm not the only one going through this craziness w/little babes!
kelly

Kelly, :Mama to Kevin, 10/1/05 & Seth, 7/7/06. ::
Old 04-14-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipfree View Post
Sorry your dream home fell through. I can say something corny like there is something better 'round the corner or it wasn't meant to be yours etc. But I can hear you and feel your sadness
On another note, I've been house shopping before and it can be very exciting times. Maybe focus on the excitement? And it must be a nice area if a house was only on the market one week!
Thanks.. our realtor e-mailed me a bunch of other properties and I wanted to e-mail back, "are you kidding me?!?!" None were even in the same league, although a few had higher price tags :
I'll try to focus on the excitement. I've been calling it stress, but I will think positively

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
Old 04-14-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinas3muskateers View Post
We looked and looked since Novemeber and we finally found the one. I too felt this frustrations and sadness when something fell through and my husband would tell me, hunny they call it house hunting for a reason... its not called house finding. lol
That's a good point.. thanks I knew it wouldn't be easy.. but man. This really IS hard.

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
Old 04-14-2007, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipfree View Post
How are you all doing with your moving plans?
We're slowly working through decluttering our office space. DH recently made a little progress on his audio tape conversion project: figuring out which option to use. We still have to borrow the tape player and buy the software, but it's something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofjojo View Post
I write a list of everything going into the box either on a 4x6 index card or in a marble bound copybook. On each box I put a code i.e. LR#1, LR#2, 1BR#1.
I like this idea. Our move will be short, but we'll have a good amount of time to pack and I think it would be good to use this system. It seemed to take us a long time to unpack the last few boxes DH moved into my plac when we got married.

Quote:
Just wanted to vent to people who might understand..
We went to look at a house today. Exactly in our price range- in the lower range, even. It was beautiful.. *sigh* so perfect for our family.
It was just listed this week and by the time we got there, it was already under contract
I want to cry.
I know what is meant to be will be, but it's still hard.
We weren't quite ready yet, anyway.. ours won't be up for sale for a few more weeks, but..:
Oh, that is hard. We went to an open house of curiosity recently, even though we won't be moving for a year, and it was the first place that I've seen around here that felt just right. Had everything I wanted and then some. Right neighborhood, right price. : It's a townhouse, so it's possible one of the other units might be available by the time we are ready to buy, but not likely.

I try to think of it like dating. All the rejection and bad experiences really don't mean anything when you finally find "the one". And the more experiences you have, the quicker you are able to recognize which one is "the one".

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
Old 04-14-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Nikki~ View Post
I've moved so many times that I've tried every single way. Numbering the boxes and keeping a master list isn't that great, imo. For starters, what if you lose the list? Secondly, if you have helpers, it's much easier to be very plain and blunt about where the boxes go.

My favorite method (when we had 8 friends helping us unload) was to label the boxes with "Kitchen" "Living Room" "Our Room" "DS's Room" "Bathroom 1" etc. We'd also add a little description (ie: clothing, cutlery, food, etc.) Then I'd tape up a piece of paper above the doorframe with the room names on them (because our helpers didn't have a clue which kid was getting which room, for example). Next time, I'd like to do this with the furniture, as well.
I'm a little behind on the conversation here, but here's my 2 cents worth on this. How I'm doing it is that I am labeling contents and using a master list for certain things. Since we don't know where we'll be living yet (buying or renting, how much space we'll have, etc.) I am assuming that there are certain boxes of things that I will not need to unpack right away, and in fact will end up in storage if we are in a place that's temporary or maybe even in a basement or something for a while if it's a "permanent" place. So there are books that we want to keep, but don't necessarily need out or refer to all the time, etc. (I have a lot of midwifery books I keep for client reference, lending out, etc.) I boxed those up and numbered the boxes like, "Box 1--midwifery books". I made a little form on the computer with spaces for "Box number, box destination (as in, "storage" "basement" "living room" etc. and printed them out and then as we were packing the books, I wrote down the titles on my list. It's a little cumbersome right now, but I imagine that it will be less of a PITA than digging through four or five boxes in a storage unit unpacking everything trying to find one specific book that I need.

The rest of the things that I pack that will be unpacked in a more or less immediate fashion will be just labeled on the sheet like "Box 35--kitchen utensils" and then labeled similarly on the box itself, both top and side.

Although, I think as it turns out the movers will be packing us (it's a company move, woo hoo!) and so I have no idea how they do it! Hopefully it gets done in some sort of an orderly fashion so that I'll be able to find things when they're done! Anyone ever had any experience with movers who pack your stuff and move it and unload it? How do they organize things?
Old 04-14-2007, 06:04 PM

this is the thread I need! yay!
Old 04-14-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
I try to think of it like dating. All the rejection and bad experiences really don't mean anything when you finally find "the one". And the more experiences you have, the quicker you are able to recognize which one is "the one".
That's really true. I suppose it will make me even more appreciative and excited when we find THE ONE and everything works out.
I'm never doing this again, though
I'm just not cut out for it!!

Old 04-15-2007, 11:26 AM

Oh man, I am so here. We are set to move at the end of the month and so far I've tossed one bag of junk out and packed 2 boxes. Granted, we're waiting for more boxes to come in, but how do you find the time to pack with a small crawling person underfoot!

Man, this was so much easier when there was just two of us.

Casey - 33 Josh - 29
mama to Matthew (3; 7/14/06) and Lindsey (9 mos; 12/23/08)
Old 04-15-2007, 12:56 PM

I just dont know when to really start packing up. We are moving the first week of May. I feel like if I pack stuff up that I might need later I will have to dig it out. I start to think what if I need this or that and its packed away.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I just dont know when to really start packing up. We are moving the first week of May. I feel like if I pack stuff up that I might need later I will have to dig it out. I start to think what if I need this or that and its packed away.
I don't know, either. We have a really small place, so I know we need to get a lot of our stuff out of here so it doesn't look cluttered when it's being shown.
What stuff should I pack? What should I leave out?
I could probably pack half of our clothes, most of the toys, books, etc.
Ideas?:

Old 04-15-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:

This is the problem I'm having. We move two weeks from today. I'm starting with our closets - I figure, if something has been in a closet for months, I'm not likely to need it in the next two weeks. I also asked the kids to pick out a few stuffed animals each, and I packed the rest. The stuffies end up strewn through the house on a regular basis, so having them taped up in a box will help with keeping stuff uncluttered.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

eclipse, I saw your post in the regular Mindful Home Managment forum, so I'm glad you found us! I'm going to post a link to this thread on your thread there so that anyone else looking can find this thread, too.

And here's a link back to the other thread, because there are some good tips on there, too!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=654990

Old 04-15-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
IWhat stuff should I pack? What should I leave out?
Ideas?:
Our realtor last time round gave a wonderful piece of advice regarding toys. Pack the toys with a lot of pieces It saves a lot of picking up if you get an unexpected call for a showing. Boy was that valuable for us. The only thing I kept out that had a fair number of pieces was a barn and animals, and a 2 or 3 puzzles.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofjojo View Post
Our realtor last time round gave a wonderful piece of advice regarding toys. Pack the toys with a lot of pieces It saves a lot of picking up if you get an unexpected call for a showing. Boy was that valuable for us. The only thing I kept out that had a fair number of pieces was a barn and animals, and a 2 or 3 puzzles.
Good idea. I think I will keep the blocks and wooden trains out.. and pack the matchbox cars that always seem to be scattered throughout the house. And maybe the Little People.
I packed up all of my pregnancy/breastfeeding books today. Wow.. I can't believe how many I have

Old 04-15-2007, 10:03 PM

Here's a question - a lot of my kids toys are stored in labeled totes with lids. (like, a tote full of dolls, a tote full of Little People paraphernalia, etc). Is there any reason you can think of to not just leave them in the totes to move? I'd definitely do it if I was moving myself, but we're hiring movers - do you know if this would make their job harder in anyway. Would they be harder to stack in their truck than regular cardboard boxes?
Old 04-15-2007, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
Here's a question - a lot of my kids toys are stored in labeled totes with lids. (like, a tote full of dolls, a tote full of Little People paraphernalia, etc). Is there any reason you can think of to not just leave them in the totes to move? I'd definitely do it if I was moving myself, but we're hiring movers - do you know if this would make their job harder in anyway. Would they be harder to stack in their truck than regular cardboard boxes?

No reason to take them out. They may end up taping your lids to the tote so they don't pop off but then they will more than likely put them into a box.

Even our big totes (like the size of a cooler) were all taped and boxed in our relocation move. If you are paying for boxes and have a lot of bigger totes, you may see if they will move them not in boxes. Our last move we were able to do this and it saved us about $85.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
I don't know, either. We have a really small place, so I know we need to get a lot of our stuff out of here so it doesn't look cluttered when it's being shown.
What stuff should I pack? What should I leave out?
Ideas?:
We just did this. We don't have a basement or garage or attic or any storage space that is not closets for stuff like out of season clothes/outgrown baby clothes or items we want to save for the next baby, seasonal decorations, etc. We also have been sort of babyproofing by the seat of our pants as DD has gotten more and more mobile and able to get into more, so we were having a crisis as things like books that were on lower shelves were getting scattered and messed up by Ms. Inquisitive Toddler. So that is where we started. We rented a small storage space actually, put our bikes (which we don't ride regularly), our box of holiday/seasonal decorations, or out of grown clothes to save, and books that we don't want to get rid of but don't necessarily need to have sitting out on a shelf.

I would say that you should just pack whatever you need to to put away things that are causing clutter or make it difficult to clean the house easily, or make the house difficult to show, or make the house look crowded or shabby. If you clear out your storage stuff then you should be able to put things away better that you normally keep out.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:34 AM

we moved in november. i started packing about 6 weeks earlier. my best advice is throw stuff out and give stuff away. and when you think you've thrown out enough and given enough stuff away, you haven't
give more stuff away and throw more out.
and repeat.
seriously, i kid you not. we moved stuff and when we got here i'm like why the heck did we take the time and effort to move that stuff just to haul it to the dump.

and again, months later i went through some unpacked boxes and gave more stuff away and threw more stuff out.

key to moving : throw stuff out and give stuff away!!!!

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

Old 04-16-2007, 01:29 AM

our offical closing date is here, april 27. So I guess I should really start packing lol. YAY the fun begins but just to think I will be in my beautiful new home soon woohoo
Old 04-17-2007, 04:37 AM

We are moving from VA to FL in three months. And once we get there, we'll likely be staying with my parents for 6 months or so. Dh is separating from the military, and we've moved 4 times. The first three times we had movers move us and the last time we did it ourselves. If it were my decision, I would go with the movers. But once again we will be moving ourselves.

Last time moving was a nightmare. I was trying to declutter. Dh absolutely forbade me to give things away. And he is a major packrat. And a control freak. I finally left everything up to him since if I packed a box it got unpacked and repacked anyway. We ended up moving so much junk. Most of it I have freecycled here, but dh still kept a lot of things.

I do think we learned a lesson last move, at least if dh allows himself to remember. Have absolutely everything packed before you get the moving truck. And label better. He started out well, labeled boxes and kept like things together. Then when he realized he was running out of time, he started literally throwing things in boxes.

We just found out yesterday that we are for sure moving, and I'm already thinking about things to donate. I want to sell my baby wrap and babywearing coat since dd is three and they will be way too hot for FL. I'm going to go through dd's old clothes and get rid of everything that would be too warm for FL. I'm planning to thin out dd's toys even more. I think I will finally use this as an opportunity to lose the remaining plastic food storage items.

I also want to go ahead and start packing things now. Let dh repack if he wants to, but it will give me a sense of satisfaction. I don't plan to keep out much except a very few toys, a very few reference type books, clothes, personal hygiene stuff, and some kitchenware that I think I can't live without. We're not going to have very much space at all at my parents' house anyway. And once we move, we'll be taking things out of storage.

What I would absolutely love is for dh to finally go through his last four boxes he hasn't unpacked, along with office type items, papers, and the garage items and get rid of much of it. But I know that won't happen. He works super long hours at work, and the rest of his time will be spent planning things.

Another thing I would love to do is try to sell the playpen, swing, jumper, bouncy seats, and stroller that we've kept. I didn't use them much at all with dd, and I really don't see using them with a second child. Plus they're bulky and I wouldn't mind buying used if for some reason I decided I really needed it. Dh is totally opposed to getting rid of them. I did freecycle the high chair a month ago without telling dh. He hasn't noticed it missing from the garage yet. I'm not even sure he'd notice the other stuff missing if I sold it, but I'm too chicken to do it.

I did get dh to agree to get rid of two of our four tv's. Really who needs that many? Of course, dh will probably claim that he never said he would.

I'm really not looking forward to our move and the changes that go along with it. Maybe it won't be so bad.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:38 AM

I love the suggestion of packing the toys with small pieces for ease of showing the house. I am definitely going to do that, but I'm not sure it will help much. Dd has a way of taking anything and spreading it out everywhere. If there are no toys or books available, she'll do it with the measuring cups or silverware.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:40 PM

So Dh and I have spend the last 2 days working on the house. He replaced all the floor heating vents- they look awesome! We are also replacing the kitchen faucet (if I can figure out how to do it ) and maybe the bathroom one, too.
We're replacing the mini-blinds because most of ours are cracked, etc.
I washed everything down.. got the crayon off the walls and the fridge (those Mr. Clean magic erasers are amazing!) and will repaint the front porch this week and also powerwash the front of the house. I'm tired
I should put flowers on the front porch, right? What else helps curb appeal? We really have to think about it because from the outside, our place is nothing special. On the inside though, it's really quite cute with a nice layout.
Any tips for staging the home?

Old 04-20-2007, 01:08 AM

I'm moving the day after tomorrow, and I'm almost ready but not quite. I've been congratulating myself on how well I've decluttered, but now that I'm packing, it's taking forever! Already about 3x longer than I thought it would. I'd hoped to be finished last weekend (I work full-time) but I wasn't. Took a vacation day Monday, and still wasn't finished! It's all the little stuff that's killing me. I left work early today, and will do again tomorrow if I'm not busy, even though the light paycheck will make things difficult. Movers come at 11:00am Saturday.

I promise, I promise, I'm going to really declutter after I move this time, really declutter! No more mousing around! I promise. I can't do this again. I'm moving into another rental, and I want to buy a house maybe in a year or so. I don't want to do this again.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:04 AM

zeldabee- wow! Good luck with your move!

Old 04-20-2007, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Zeldabee, I'll be thinking about you tomorrow! You'll have to come back and let us all know how it went!

mama2babybeans: flowers are great for curb appeal. I've also heard painting your front door (and the trim) is a nice thing to do. It's a small project, but it's a great first impression. Sometimes I see people replace the light fixture on their front porch, or the mailbox, or add nice house numbers (especially if the only existing ones are painted on the curb).

Check out this site for inspiration: http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/shows_crb

Old 04-20-2007, 01:03 PM

Zeldabee ... I am right there with you. I've been actively de-cluttering for 4 whole months.

I am so tired of moving. This will be my son's 4th home and he's only 13 months!!! We move on the 25th and it is taking so much longer than I thought. I keep saying, I own this stuff, it doesn't own me. My dream of only having one car load of stuff was unrealistic. Duh! So now my dh has to make one trip up to his parents to drop off some stuff, and then come back for us.

Off to donate all these bags of clothing and stuff. Wish I could have a garage sale! I think I'll post pictures of what we end up keeping. We're going from a 3 story 5 bedroom house + art studio and 50 acres down to ... we shall see, stay tuned. Today is sunny so it's time to load up the car! Exciting!
Old 04-20-2007, 01:05 PM

My friend's toddler got heavy burns from the chemicals in the Mr. Clean Erasers. This was before they put a warning label on ... hopefully there is one on now! Just a friendly warning for all of us with kids.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:12 PM

ipfree- I just read about that happending to a 5 yr old in November on a blog:
http://buccoblog.mlblogs.com/my_webl...al_burns_.html

Pretty scary.
I didn't notice any sort of obvious warning or label on the box, but I wouldn't let my toddler use it, anyway, and I always wash my hands thoroughly when I've been cleaning, so hopefully that will prevent any sort of problem.
I've just tried quite a few things and was desperate to get the crayon off the walls, doors, etc. so that's what I ended up using.
Interestingly enough, on the Procter and Gamble website, they list the 'danger' on a scale from 1-4 as a 1, citing "slight hazard" which is the absolute lowest rating they can give.. ??

This is another link to snopes, where they totally deny any danger. I couldn't C&P, but think is the link:
http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/eraser.asp

So I don't know for sure.. I will continue to use them but will probably wear gloves and keep them far away my children just to be safe.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:09 AM

Its Crunch time! Moving in 5 days and well I have a TON to do. I am such a slacker : ... So today we are going to get some work done, then I babysit on Monday, off day for me then resuming on Tuesday. Weds babysitting again then I have Thursday and Friday. Saturday morning we are out of here. I cannot wait. We have been here pretty much 12 years. We moved a couple of times but ended back in this house. Good and bad times, times I will never forget but I sure wont miss the traffic lol. I cannot wait to be in my new home in a super fabulous neighborhood. Woohoo!!!

User Tag List