Moving Support Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 313 Old 04-28-2007, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The cats and I are moving to Denmark, and we'll be out of the apartment by late June. I have so much stuff to get rid of. It's amazing how much junk I've acquired that just isn't worth a move this big.
#122 of 313 Old 04-28-2007, 12:12 PM

We have 25 until we pick up the moving truck! We picked up the keys to the apartment yesterday and thank maude I drove over to try them, because NONE of them worked! Apparently, they had changed the locks without letting the office manager know. So, all sorted out now. I still have SO freaking much to do - it's unbelieveable!
#123 of 313 Old 04-28-2007, 06:31 PM

My moving status: on strike!

Seriously, I am taking a little time off. I've been working soooo hard trying to get everything done in our house to sell, then getting ready to buy in our new location. Our buyer seems really nice but I think her it's her agent is just playing head games and causing problems, because she's putting up a fuss about every little thing and being very unprofessional and snippy with our realtor. That and having to keep a toddler home almost every day to let some contractor or another in really was taking its toll, and then the travel to Louisville to look for a new house, and the exhaustion and sleep deprivation and general disruption of normal life has been challenging. After things got somewhat settled, I have just sort of coasted to a halt for a few days. Also DD has been much more clingy and unsettled and nursing nonstop all night and lots of the day, and I'm feeling like I might be on the verge of getting a cold.

However, I did take some time to clean some of the house yesterday, and have been decluttering a little more sort of item by item--like opening a cabinet to get something out and noticing that there is something that I know we won't need to take, and just throwing it out or putting it in the goodwill box right then. About one month to the big move!
#124 of 313 Old 04-30-2007, 02:02 AM

Well, we're all moved! well, mostly. We have to go back to the old place tomorrow for some last things and to clean up, and then we're all done!

Funny and interesting things from today:

3 yr old DD Rhiannon: "Oh no! I peed my pants!"
Me: "Uh, oh! Go take them off and leave them in the bathroom."
Rhiannon: "But MOMMY! I don't know where the bathroom IS! That's why I peed my pants!"

6 yr old DS, Liam, on why he likes our new living room, though it's smaller than the old one: "Our old living room was all open and made me feel like I was just hanging in the air not attached to anything. This living room makes me feel tucked in, like I'm under a blanket."

19 month old Aidan is confused, though having a good time.
#125 of 313 Old 04-30-2007, 11:46 AM
p.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
3 yr old DD Rhiannon: "Oh no! I peed my pants!"
Me: "Uh, oh! Go take them off and leave them in the bathroom."
Rhiannon: "But MOMMY! I don't know where the bathroom IS! That's why I peed my pants!"

6 yr old DS, Liam, on why he likes our new living room, though it's smaller than the old one: "Our old living room was all open and made me feel like I was just hanging in the air not attached to anything. This living room makes me feel tucked in, like I'm under a blanket."

19 month old Aidan is confused, though having a good time.
#126 of 313 Old 04-30-2007, 11:52 AM

Awww! Poor Rhiannon.

I am at a complete standstill right now. I'm antsy and want to get something done, but I have:
- no laundry to put away, fold, wash, or dry
- no clutter to clean up
- no boxes so I can't pack things
- no key so I can't go to the new house and strip wallpaper or put up painter's tape

I feel so anxious right now...I just want to get something done so we can hurry up and move!!!

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#127 of 313 Old 04-30-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
I totally know what he means! I have had that feeling for YEARS. I'm really glad he's happy.
#128 of 313 Old 04-30-2007, 10:10 PM

Jeri- Oh your kids are so cute!

I have pretty much everything packes except for the essentials. I have this one Easy Mac box (DH bought it to take them back to Iraq) and my nephew keeps trying to open it because he thinks there is Mac and Cheese in there.

Now I am debating whether or not to go get things like flour, sugar, rice, cleaning supplies and such for before I move...only 13 days left, because I really don't want to go major grocery shopping after packing the trucks, driving 3 and a half hours and unpacking.

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)
#129 of 313 Old 04-30-2007, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova22 View Post

I am at a complete standstill right now. I'm antsy and want to get something done, but I have:
- no laundry to put away, fold, wash, or dry
- no clutter to clean up
- no boxes so I can't pack things
- no key so I can't go to the new house and strip wallpaper or put up painter's tape

I feel so anxious right now...I just want to get something done so we can hurry up and move!!!
I would be happy to help you with that problem by letting you come over and help me!
#130 of 313 Old 05-01-2007, 04:54 PM

And when you're done helping Kavita, I'll be here

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#131 of 313 Old 05-05-2007, 10:12 AM

bumping this
I saw the other moving thread about decluttering- there are so many of us moving!

How far is everyone in the process?
We rented a carpet cleaner yesterday and the rugs look so much better. DH is going to buy some lumber today and build some back steps with FIL because that really should be done before we sell.
I talked to our realtor and he is coming over on Wednesday, I think, to check things out and then we'll be listing it! I hope his figure comes close to what we would like to sell it for.
Our to-do list is actually getting shorter, I think. I never thought that would happen!

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#132 of 313 Old 05-05-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2babybeans View Post
How far is everyone in the process?
I feel like I've been moving forever and it's never going to end. For the past 2+ years I've almost constantly been in a "might move soon" state. Now I finally know when and where I'm moving (which is fantastic!) but it's so tiring! I've been freecycling like a madwoman and I still have so much STUFF. It's really hard to decide what to keep and what to not. I need to pare down a LOT. I just can't afford to move very much stuff internationally.
#133 of 313 Old 05-05-2007, 03:13 PM

Oy! Our move date has been changed from "some time at the end of summer, maybe September" to "next month!!!" OMG. I have to minimize and pack a 4 bdr, 3 bathroom house to fit into a 2 bedroom, 1 bath apartment. :

We'll be having a yard sale next weekend, haha.
#134 of 313 Old 05-05-2007, 03:25 PM

DH is having some luck at a job this week, so perhaps we can move forward with things.
We have it down to two houses we like from the outside and we are waiting on a realtor to show them to us.
We are hoping to move next month!
#135 of 313 Old 05-06-2007, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

mama2babybeans: we are not moving until next year, so right now it's all just decluttering and prep, because we've got a baby coming in a few months and who knows if we'll get anything done once that happens?

Tonight we cleaned out our storage unit! I am sooooooo happy about it. I'd been asking DH if we could do it for a while now, and he'd been reluctant because, let's face it, who wants to clean out crap in the basement on the weekend? But today was kind of cold and cloudy, so he agreed. So we brought a CD player and some gloves and water and a camera down there and went to it!

I've been in this building since 1995, so I knew there was some old stuff of mine in there from way back. We took everything out of the unit, swept the floor and dusted the shelves, and then decided to what to do with all the stuff. We threw out a ton of stuff and identified a whole bunch more to give away. Everything else we packed back in neatly. We have so much more space now! I am so so so happy it's done. We thought it would be an all day project, but it ended up taking 3 1/2 hours start to finish.

Now we'll have a place to put baby stuff!

Here's what it looked like before:
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...t/IMG_1868.jpg

Here's the unit all emptied out:
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...t/IMG_1875.jpg

Here's what it looks like now:
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...t/IMG_1877.jpg

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#136 of 313 Old 05-06-2007, 10:14 AM

Congrats, Thalia!
I bet that felt great to get done!
#137 of 313 Old 05-06-2007, 11:02 AM

We're moving to Overland Park, KS from Tallahassee, FL sometime between now and my husband's July 30 report date at his new position. Between now and then we need to sell our house, find a new house to buy, pack up all our stuff from our current house (4 bedrooms, 2 car garage, 3 kids!) do a massive declutter, etc etc etc. I have a baby that is not even 3 weeks old yet and I feel just a little bit overwhelmed. This would have been a huge project even without a newborn thrown into the mix! I don't know how I'm going to manage.

The good news is that my husband's company is paying for the relocation, and we have a guaranteed buyout on our house if we are unable to sell it, so the money isn't an issue. The relocation program is generous and will definitely pay all our expenses, including at least a couple of trips out to KC area to find a new home.

It's just the sheer volume of work that's freaking me out a little. Besides the newborn I have an almost 4 year old wild child and a 12 year old daughter who's (understandably!) moping about leaving our friends and community. I feel like just keeping up with the people in this house is more than I can handle some days, never mind the stuff here!

I'll be checking in often to read the tips. So far I've cleaned out our filing cabinet of out of date paperwork, to make room for the stuff I need to get my hands on to prepare to move. Next step, cleaning off my desk.

Freecycle is going to love me over the next couple of months!!!
#138 of 313 Old 05-07-2007, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcyone View Post
Congrats, Thalia!
I bet that felt great to get done!
I am still having basement organization afterglow...and DH is getting lots of love and attention from me this weekend for all his hard work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaMama View Post
We're moving to Overland Park, KS from Tallahassee, FL sometime between now and my husband's July 30 report date at his new position. Between now and then we need to sell our house, find a new house to buy, pack up all our stuff from our current house (4 bedrooms, 2 car garage, 3 kids!) do a massive declutter, etc etc etc. I have a baby that is not even 3 weeks old yet and I feel just a little bit overwhelmed. This would have been a huge project even without a newborn thrown into the mix! I don't know how I'm going to manage.

The good news is that my husband's company is paying for the relocation, and we have a guaranteed buyout on our house if we are unable to sell it, so the money isn't an issue. The relocation program is generous and will definitely pay all our expenses, including at least a couple of trips out to KC area to find a new home.

It's just the sheer volume of work that's freaking me out a little. Besides the newborn I have an almost 4 year old wild child and a 12 year old daughter who's (understandably!) moping about leaving our friends and community. I feel like just keeping up with the people in this house is more than I can handle some days, never mind the stuff here!
Freecycle is going to love me over the next couple of months!!!
That is a lot ground to cover, especially with a newborn, but how wonderful that all your expenses will be paid, and a guaranteed buyout on your house, too!

Freecycle loves me, too, these days. They should have frequent giver medals or something: I would clean up!

#139 of 313 Old 05-07-2007, 03:55 AM

I'm here with a little tip for people!

Papers were piling up because things were moving so fast, between selling our house and buying a new house and mortgage documents and everything else, and it was getting out of hand. I also had phone numbers of mortgage people and contractors and everything else all over the place and scribbled lists and notes, etc.

I bought a really cool binder and notebook. The binder has a section for a notebook, and a divided section for files, and a pocket where I keep my calculator and some scissors, and is also a three ring binder. I wrote lists of important numbers here, important numbers there, and put them in a sheet protector and put that in the binder. I divided the papers into things on our house sale, and then things on our house purchase, and another section or two, and put those in the file section. I put a business card holder that goes in a 3 ring binder, and put the various business cards that I'd been collecting in there. And I have several lists of things to do in the notebook written out neatly. I feel so much better and things are so much more organized!!!!!

Now if I can only get the rest of our house organized . . . OMG, it's a pit right now! I thought it would be lots easier b/c they are packing us--actually I'm finding it more stressful, because I am just sort of waiting and trying to get things organized in a decent fashion so that it won't take me a million years to find things and unpack them. And we are trying to figure out what to take and what to get rid of.

AAARGH! I am having a bad moving day.
#140 of 313 Old 05-07-2007, 07:23 AM

I had a few words of advice ( and coming from me it might not mean much! lol)

But we just moved last December and the month before that helped our best friends move from alabama to washington.

Their plan was AMAZING for moving.

They took each box and put a piece of duct tape on it with a number and listed on it what was in the tub. (a peice on the top and on of the ends)

These numbers and contents on a paper copy that was tucked into a suitcase that was going in the front seat of the car.

That way when they got there, they could find the boxes they needed by knowing the numbers from the sheets.

Also -- U-Haul sells these rolls of 'tape' that have bathroom, bedroom 1, bedroom 2, kitchen, fragile, living room, office and something else on it.

It was amazing too. They are all in different colors and sticking them on boxes helped us know which room to sit the boxes in when unloading the truck.

I hope that I've given someone a little advice.

Right now we are decluttering like we are moving.

Erika SO to *S*: and Aunt to *A*(10), *Z*(9), and *D*(8)
#141 of 313 Old 05-07-2007, 08:11 AM

Okay, I'm back. Things are going a little bit better--we got a bunch of things done this evening. (Well, night and morning--it's four am and I'm still up sorting through crap!! DD isn't letting me do too much during the days lately . . . she's being a teething unsettled toddlery clingon.) We threw out a bunch of stuff and recycled a bunch of stuff and sorted through a ton of papers and shredded a bunch of stuff.

Also, I designated a place to put the things that will stay here with the house, and started getting a pile together for our buyer. (Manuals, warranties, parts for things that stay with the house, spare tiles, etc.)

I threw out all cosmetics and hair care products that I had before my marriage! (Our 4th anniversary will be July 1.) :

Next I am going to designate a place for things that we are personally taking with us in the car--important papers, jewelery, clothes and toiletries for the trip and first days, photos and our wedding DVD, etc.

Okay, so I may get through this yet . . . .
#142 of 313 Old 05-07-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaMama View Post
We're moving to Overland Park, KS from Tallahassee, FL sometime between now and my husband's July 30 report date at his new position.
Hey there! We are moving to kansas city, KS....just a couple minutes above overland park. We looked there for houses, but didn't find anything we liked in our price range (which is low! lol).

We are moving during memorial weekend but hubby won't be with us til the end of his year on June 26. Sigh. I will miss him.

Anyways, I have a 3.5 year old dd and if you find you need a 'friend' or something, let me know. I will be looking for people to click with and hang out with occasionally too.

with smiles amidst the boxes,
rebecca
#143 of 313 Old 05-07-2007, 06:40 PM

My dh just got a job this past weekend. We will be moving from Kansas to either western WY or eastern ID (eek! we aren't sure yet!) at the end of this month/beginning of next. I am totally freaked out. I have never moved before! I went from living in my parent's house to the house we lived in when we got married. To say i am feeling a little overwhelmed and daunted would be an understatement. I have a client due at the end of May so if she has had the baby by the time my hubby goes up, we will all go together, and i'll go separately if she goes later. So that give me a little less than a month to declutter/pack a house i have lived in for five years with three small children.

And yet, here i am, on MDC, when i should reeeeeally be cleaning or something productive while the baby sleeps

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#144 of 313 Old 05-07-2007, 07:36 PM

im slowly decluttering for out move.. our official moving date is the last week of june, so now at least i know that i have 6 weeks or so to get organised, packed and moved. i do daycare till the very end, so its going to be hard to get everything packed up while i still need some toys and kids stuff around, but im doing my best with all of the other things, linens, clothes, books, other random stuff..im really trying to simplify and yesterday and today i have filled 2 big green garbage bags to send to the thrift store..mostly kids clothes, toys and junk thats accumulated around the house. moving is exciting and a lot of work.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#145 of 313 Old 05-09-2007, 01:54 AM

We are in!!!! Unpacked, put away, living the good life in!!! However now its time to move my father in, so now we get to de-junk his house woohoo lol.

We are going to hold a garage sale, any tips on that? whatever is left over is going to the city mission. Also my dad has a lot of older stuff in super condition. lots of vases, cookware, etc... how do I know I am not selling some priceless vase for a quarter? I so do not want to see my fathers stuff on the antique road show lol.
#146 of 313 Old 05-09-2007, 03:20 AM

We are moving in 17 days. Tonight DH asked me when we were going to start packing and I just ignored him.

I have a book that I really like, The Idiots Guide to Moving. It has a countdown that is helpful and a section on Moving Sales.

Where do you guys get boxes from? I don't have time to dumpster dive. I looked on Craigslist. I know U-haul is $$$$$. I need to figure out something fast. We have to have everything done by the 23rd. We pack the truck the 24th and we are on the road the 25th.

After 2 days of driving, we have 2 days to get settled before DH starts his new job. :
#147 of 313 Old 05-09-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCbaby View Post
We are moving in 17 days. Tonight DH asked me when we were going to start packing and I just ignored him.

I have a book that I really like, The Idiots Guide to Moving. It has a countdown that is helpful and a section on Moving Sales.

Where do you guys get boxes from? I don't have time to dumpster dive. I looked on Craigslist. I know U-haul is $$$$$. I need to figure out something fast. We have to have everything done by the 23rd. We pack the truck the 24th and we are on the road the 25th.

After 2 days of driving, we have 2 days to get settled before DH starts his new job. :
For small boxes for packing things like books (don't want to pack them in a big box, too heavy!) I got wine boxes from a local supermarket. I just went and asked if they had any. They are a good size and shape and pretty sturdy.

The rest I got from DH's work, so that won't help you!
#148 of 313 Old 05-09-2007, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

USMCbaby: I second what Kavita said: I've heard that grocery stores, liquor stores, and bookstores often have boxes that they are happy to give away. Do you have Freecycle in your area? That's another good place to find boxes.

Tina: you did it! Awesome! Do you have any tips or wisdom now that you've made it to the other side?? I believe there's a couple of garage sale tip threads going in this forum, too, or maybe they're in Frugality and Finances.

#149 of 313 Old 05-09-2007, 10:01 AM

I second freecycle for boxes. I see them posted all the time, and I'll be posting some too in about a month. Not that mine will help you!

For books I always put a few in each box, so there isn't a box of books. No one wants the box of books. But six books and three pillows? No problem!
#150 of 313 Old 05-09-2007, 12:34 PM

Our box resources:

Liquor stores - wine boxes great for glasses and vases. Also toy parts.

Copy place or Office Max/Depot, Staples - ask for their paper boxes from their copy centers. Places like staples use their own logo boxes for customers so the boxes the paper comes in usually gets thrown away. They make great book boxes and kids clothing.

Craigs List or Free Cycle. I found a folks on craigs list who were having yard sales and asked if they would let me get their boxes afterward. Got lots of them that way.
Also, Good Will, Salvation Army, Disabled Vets, etc. that come into ares to pick up donations - call and find out when they do pick ups and could you get boxes from them. Some do it some don't.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page