Moving Support Thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 313 Old 06-04-2007, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, I'm having a harder time with the toys than I thought I would. I plan to start a home day care once we're settled in our new house (if we can ever find one.) I had a big pile of toys to get rid of, most of which the boys have outgrown, and then realized that if I'm going to do daycare I'll most likely need at least some of these toys in the fairly near future. *sigh* So now I need to find a good place to store them.

CDs are going slowly, but steadily. Marc puts a couple onto the computer every night. At this rate we might have them done by Christmas!

As for the filing cabinet.....can I compost old bills and things? I don't have a shredder but I thought if I ripped them up some by hand and then tossed them in my compost that might work well. Hhhmmm, but what about the ink? My garden here is all in containers because our backyard is concrete, so the compost will only be used for flowers, or possibly never used at all. I doubt I'll be bagging compost to take to the new house! So maybe that would work after all, composting the paper? What do you all think?

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#182 of 313 Old 06-05-2007, 06:48 AM

Jessica - I'm having a difficult time with toys as well. :/ It's not easy. Esp the cute things, that even if they don't play with it, well.. :/

I don't know about composting papers with ink? I'd think the ink would be a no no.

Well, we still haven't found a place. But we have to be out of here by the 17th. IF we find a place that works, we hope to move in this weekend. We have to move either way in less than two weeks. So we're really in packing mode. I am so glad I decluttered like a mad woman over the past month or so. It's helped tremendously!

Our big problem? Finding moving boxes. We can't afford $1+ per box. I keep my eye on CraigsList and FreeCycle, but they are taken so quickly. I ask on both as well but again, difficult to come by. I have Mom and MIL keeping them for us from their jobs, but we need more. Ahhh.
#183 of 313 Old 06-05-2007, 02:22 PM

I got my boxes off freecycle and a few friends/family who just moved. I already have a taker for MY boxes after we settle in!

I got a bunch from the grocery store. and since their sales start tomorrow, they are unpacking a ton of stuff today so there will be more.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#184 of 313 Old 06-05-2007, 02:42 PM

If you have an industrial area around you, it wouldn't hurt to go down and ask for boxes. We got all of our boxes from a local milk factory for free. They come in two sizes: 2 liters, and 5 liters, and stack perfectly. We've dragged them along with us over 2 moves so far, and hope to find a storage area for them in the new place as we're planning on moving again in a year or so.
#185 of 313 Old 06-06-2007, 12:39 AM

I'd like to join you. We found a house that we really liked that was out of our price range when we were driving around one sunday. This sparked a sudden urge to move. We live in a 2 bedroom house that is just under 900 square feet and that wouldn't be a big problem except we live on a giant hill. In winter, I sometimes miss the driveway and have to do another lap around the block. This wasn't a problem when it was just dh and me, but now with a 1 1/2 year old and another due in October, I just don't feel safe skidding down the hill. Also, we live across from two rental properties and have an alley at the bottom of the hill of our backyard that has a parking lot for another one. They are all inhabited by the loudest, trashiest people I've ever seen and I am tired of the constant screaming and the smell of pot.
Before our house goes up, we needed to renovate the bathroom because of a huge leak in the plumbing in the wall. We ended up staying for almost 3 weeks in the upper flat that my mil owns while my husband was at the house installing the new plumbing, fixtures, drywall and tiling. It was ripped down to studs and all we are waiting for is the counter top that we ordered to get in. I had a rummage sale last weekend and got rid of a lot of things, but the realtor is coming by to get us listed next week and there is still so much to do. We also found a couple fixer uppers that we want to see and maybe put an offer in with a contigency on selling our house. I am so tired and stressed out right now. Any tips on house selling would be great. This is the first time I will be doing this.
Rebecca

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
#186 of 313 Old 06-08-2007, 12:25 AM

Aparently the assessment fiasco is over. Our banker called today to tell us that the house we are buying was assessed (by a different assessor) for the list price (and we are paying $2k less) so he doesn't see any reason why this won't go through as planned. We owe him a tax paper from 3 years ago but other than that we are set to close this deal! Yeah baby!

I got some boxes from work and packed up the bookshelf. Most of the bedroom and bathroom stuff is going into rubbermaid totes that I already have and I guess the kitchen will be packed last. I got rid of some books on amazon and donated to the library, and I cleaned out my closet and kitchen for unused junk. I can't wait to get out of this apartment! Apartment living totally sucks!
#187 of 313 Old 06-08-2007, 05:11 AM

Well, we finally moved! yay, it's over! Our house closed, and we closed on the new house this past Monday. I am still waiting on my car (we shipped it and I flew with the kiddo while DH drove his car with our dogs) which should be here inside of a week or so. And we are staying in a hotel while we have the wood floors refinished in the house, b/c we can't move our stuff in yet. It's mostly in the garage! So we're not totally moved in and settled yet, but at least the end is in sight!
#188 of 313 Old 06-09-2007, 06:28 PM

Ooh! Ooh! I'm moving too

I don't really need any support just yet, I'm totally motivated so far . We aren't moving until the end of the month (30th and July 1st are the dates planned on - though I was just reminded of my cousin's wedding on the 30th...it's two hours away and right smack dab in the middle of the day...oh well).

I've already started packing. I'm trying to deep clean as I go, and definately decluttering. Sometimes I feel so bad when I want to keep things I know I *should* throw them away. This time I'm letting it go with an "eh, I'll get it the next time around". But I've still decluttered alot. My kids are going to have a yardsale to try to raise money for either a trip to Chuck E. Cheese or a Wii

Anyway, I just wanted to chime in...I'm sure I'll be back. I love moving!
#189 of 313 Old 06-09-2007, 07:22 PM

ak! we are moving on the 17th.. its totally sprung up on me. i was planning to have so much organised and packed by now and i havn't done a thing.
we were away on a camping trip for 9 days and now everything is a huge mess from that.. *sigh*
i know that it will fall into place but my energy level is so low today. i just want to nap when i know i should be cleaning up and decluttering. there is so much that i want to get rid of and reorganise so that things are less than crazy when we get to the new house. we will have a ton of painting and fxing up to do once we arrive, sp its going to be nutty for the first few weeks. at least it will be nice and warm and the kids can play outside *knock on wood*

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#190 of 313 Old 06-10-2007, 12:20 AM

MamaFern - GOOD LUCK! I'm the opposite of you, totally decluttered, organized, etc. And I am not gloating, because lemme tell you, it stinks to have this done and then wonder where you're moving too! LOL!

Kavita - Congrats!!

We applied for a house today. Will hear back on Monday. I fell in love with a room - of all rooms? the laundry room! It was perfect for a clothesline, just PERFECT!! So my fingers are crossed.
#191 of 313 Old 06-10-2007, 01:13 AM

well, thats rad! i feel like i was there a few months ago but then everything fell apart..i too was waiting to hear when it would happen and now that it has its al a mess again! every time i try to do anything these days my 18 month old takes it all apart. she loves unpacking im just going to have to get it together. i have 6 days. i did a bit tonight, but i have so much more to do. one step at a time, right?

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#192 of 313 Old 06-10-2007, 03:01 PM

We signed the lease for our little apartment today. I'm getting excited. Not only did we get the go-ahead for painting the rooms any colour our little hearts desire, the landlord said to give us the receipts and he'll reimburse us for the paint. On top of that, we can move in a few days early (as soon as they're done their cleaning), which is great because we thought we'd have to move on July 1st......Canada Day. We had nobody available to help us move that day because everybody has plans! So this will work out well.

The kids got a little extra money as birthday gifts this year, because most of our family knows we're moving and won't have room for a ton of new toys. So we went out to Ikea today and bought a few kid-friendly storage bins for their shared bedroom/playroom. That should help a tad with fitting 3 rooms worth of stuff into one small bedroom. We also had DD test out a bunkbed today at Ikea, and determined that she could sleep in it without freaking out (she assured me she'd be ok), so it looks like we'll be able to pick one of those up instead of attempting to cram two single beds into the room.

Yay! Only a few weeks to go!
#193 of 313 Old 06-10-2007, 03:55 PM

Congrats Nikki!!!

MamaFern - Yep, take it one step at a time! I couldn't look at the house as a whole, I had to look at each room and what needed to be done. I hear you on kids taking apart what you've done. My two 4 yr olds are sticking toys into the boxes (into the handle part) and then want me to open the boxes to get them out. I don't think so! If I pack up a box, I have to pack it completely and tape it, otherwise the box ends up empty if I walk away. LOL.
#194 of 313 Old 06-10-2007, 04:31 PM

Oooo I need this thread!

I am getting so much relief out of reading everyone else's posts. UberMama, I hope you find something soon!

Our house is going on the market on June 14th, and we have to be prepared to move pretty quickly after it sells. Right now we're in that "get it fixed up to show well" frenzy.

So far I have spent almost $500 in order to:

--buy paint/primer, painting supplies, etc
--rent a storage room (pay for 2 months, get the 3rd free)
--buy "media storage" boxes for DH's DVD/CD collection (it's insane)
--"refresh" the mulch in our flower beds

I know we have to spend money in order to get our asking price or close to it, and it's all stuff we had planned to do this summer. I just hate the time crunch, and it's fairly bittersweet, doing these projects so that we can sell, instead of enjoy these home improvements ourselves.

Ok...Declutter, depersonalize! Back into the fray.

Holly

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

#195 of 313 Old 06-11-2007, 12:24 PM

We're going to be putting both children in one bedroom when we move. The tricky part being that we have a boy and a girl. Currently, my son sleeps in our room, but we'll be moving him to his new bed (which he seems very excited about) once we get settled into our new home. Our daughter has been in her own room for a couple of years now, and has a fairly girly garden theme. I'm going to make my son a quilt that matches my daughter's but is in more contrasting colors (ie: subsituting blue or dark green instead of pink ). I'll see if I can find a photo.

DD's Room

My son has a little green fabric canopy leaf, as well, so I'll need to do the quilt primarily in greens.

We have a huge modular white shelving unit for their toys, and will be buying this bed (omitting the canopy, and buying the white version):

Ikea Bunk Bed

I purchased some green bins to go in the white shelving unit to help with toy organization.

Phew! To get to the point now: Given what we're working with, can anybody offer me some ideas or inspiration for wall colors? I've been given the go-ahead by our landlord to do whatever I want with the walls, and he'll even cover the cost of the paint. That's a first! I'm super excited about being allowed to get creative in the kids room. But of course, having to make it gender neutral, I'm totally stuck for ideas.

Advice would be awesome.
#196 of 313 Old 06-11-2007, 04:18 PM

In 6 mos we are selling our house and all our used cars and are going to travel the USA with our 4 children. We want to see many National Parks and also we want to go to Alaska. We're going in a large pop up camper!

Today is the first step and we called a drywall man to come out and fix the hole in our garage ceiling that was made almost 3 years ago by hurricane Charley when a tree fell on our garage!

We need to paint the interior and exterior and make some minor repairs. I am over whelmed and excited!

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of 4 ages 10 (AS), 9, 7, and 4 (Apraxia, Dysarthria, HFA?)

*I also need to teach my 9yo dd how to ride a bike!
#197 of 313 Old 06-11-2007, 05:49 PM

Debra- that is so cool! I'm really jealous I think your family will make some amazing memories and you'll have so much fun

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#198 of 313 Old 06-11-2007, 05:53 PM

Well, our home has been listed for two weeks now (or will be two weeks in a day or two). Our realtor has had some phone calls and we had one showing. Our home has never looked as awesome as it did that day
And now... it's back to the way it was with toys strewn on the floor and dishes in the sink
I'm trying to keep up, but the first trimester hits me so hard. I'm exhausted!

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#199 of 313 Old 06-11-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Nikki~ View Post
We're going to be putting both children in one bedroom when we move. The tricky part being that we have a boy and a girl. Currently, my son sleeps in our room, but we'll be moving him to his new bed (which he seems very excited about) once we get settled into our new home. Our daughter has been in her own room for a couple of years now, and has a fairly girly garden theme. I'm going to make my son a quilt that matches my daughter's but is in more contrasting colors (ie: subsituting blue or dark green instead of pink ). I'll see if I can find a photo.

DD's Room

My son has a little green fabric canopy leaf, as well, so I'll need to do the quilt primarily in greens.

We have a huge modular white shelving unit for their toys, and will be buying this bed (omitting the canopy, and buying the white version):

Ikea Bunk Bed

I purchased some green bins to go in the white shelving unit to help with toy organization.

Phew! To get to the point now: Given what we're working with, can anybody offer me some ideas or inspiration for wall colors? I've been given the go-ahead by our landlord to do whatever I want with the walls, and he'll even cover the cost of the paint. That's a first! I'm super excited about being allowed to get creative in the kids room. But of course, having to make it gender neutral, I'm totally stuck for ideas.

Advice would be awesome.
i always love a sagey green or sky blue for kids rooms.. very peaceful.
that said, im thinking of going the more waldorfy way this time and lazuring the kids room walls with peaches and rose and warmer colours since my kids are so young still.

my son has that ikdea bed and Loves it. he really likes that he can "get away" up there and be away from his pesky little sister the bed by the way can be blue or white, the panels are just reversable! also it can be a low bed with canopy, or a high bed. its a great investment i think.

i love the quilt by the way. its just beautiful! im going to be doing more quilting and sewing once we get settled into our new home.

Quote:

#200 of 313 Old 06-11-2007, 06:20 PM

ok. i feel like ive at least put a dent into what needs to be done.
* yarn/knitting stuff and other craft supplies are all organised and bagged/boxed (it was a huge job, let me tell you!)

* kids clothes have been sorted and purged, once again. another huge bag of stuff to go to the thrift store.

* books have been sorted and purged and boxed, another huge bag plus 2 boxes of books to get rid of ( it feels so great too)

*kids toys/stuffies have been purged and organised and boxed up. we are down to a small box of puppets and stuffies(i hate the things but my kids love them) and a few boxes of kids toys/games ect

i feel like its totally doable now, and cnsidering how i was feeling yesterday this is huge
wednesday my sister is coming to help and play with the kids so i can get the rest decluttered and packed.

*whew*

Quote:

#201 of 313 Old 06-11-2007, 08:25 PM

Looks like i'm joining this group! yay!
We found a new rental, with a great new landlord, instead of the horrible one we have now.

We move in 2.5 weeks, and i've been decluttering like crazy! I can't wait to get out of this place
#202 of 313 Old 06-12-2007, 10:06 AM

We are moving Friday. 10am closing on the sale of current home. Noon closing on the sale of new home. 2 hours homeless or mortgageless depending how you look at it.

OK OTH..

now the vent part of the post :

If I have to make one more friggin phone call where the person on the other end after a long hold tells me I need to call so and so to get this that or whatever done, I might have to resort to violence and I am a very non violent person.....

ALSO DH's sister who was supposed to come visit her parents and local relatives the 2nd week in July decided to come this weekend or really tonight. I told her when she told me the dates- WE ARE MOVING!!. Keep in mind she is a realtor broker so she knows what goes into this. She was quite pissy when I told her like come on, this was planned months ago!!!

Then my MIL wants to know if we will be at 3 different activities this weekend planned and the other sister decided that hey I think I will come into town as well!! Also my BIL will be in town. So far DHs retort is how about we come to visit you when you are moving?? So this should be interesting when all the relatives want to come over to visit this weekend to a house w 8 billion boxes and also a house that will undergo extensive renovations in the next 6 weeks. I already told dh to tell his family (I told mine) that we are unpacking this weekend and we do not want visitors esp since the house will be torn apart in a few weeks. Also we do not have time to stop what we are doing to stand around and tell you everything we want to do here and there.
Also dh is going back to work on Monday so he can be off for the renovations. This has the potential to be a big mess.

ok vent over now.....

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#203 of 313 Old 06-12-2007, 05:39 PM

We got a house! We move Saturday. I am so relieved. I screamed with joy when I got off of the phone today after finding out we got it.

So more packing.. but I've gotten so much of it done, that I don't feel rushed.

Amy - Oh my gosh, I am sorry. I understand the phone call stuff. I've been playing those games as well in the past few days. It'll get real fun end of this week with utilities and cancelling them and such (PITA!).

Does your family not understand what moving entails? I mean, c'mon. I'd just tell them, "Look, we're moving - we're a wee bit busy!" Ugh! Some people.. it's all about them.
#204 of 313 Old 06-12-2007, 05:52 PM

UberMama, good for you!
#205 of 313 Old 06-12-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
i always love a sagey green or sky blue for kids rooms.. very peaceful.
: We did our dd room in those colors and I was going to paint some trees on the wall, but I never got around to it. http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f8...e/100_1258.jpg That quilt is beautiful! I wish I had the energy to take on learning quilting. I have a few knitting projects going on right now, but for dd's room I ended up buying one.

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
#206 of 313 Old 06-13-2007, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberMama View Post
Amy - Oh my gosh, I am sorry. I understand the phone call stuff. I've been playing those games as well in the past few days. It'll get real fun end of this week with utilities and cancelling them and such (PITA!).

Does your family not understand what moving entails? I mean, c'mon. I'd just tell them, "Look, we're moving - we're a wee bit busy!" Ugh! Some people.. it's all about them.

Its DH's family with all the craziness this weekend. I flat out said to MIL today when she asked me how they could help- I said- Please understand we are moving, this is how you can help. This has been scheduled literally for months and we cannot or will not change it. We have a tight schedule and we also are going to remodel. I then said we are not available to meet anywhere, bring this or that, drive anyone anywhere, go to church for this or that time, dont know what will be going on this weekend. In a nutshell, we cannot commit to anything but our move!! I then said, if anyone has any trouble with this, we will come visit when they plan a move or move a child into college this fall etc.
I also said have everyone avoid coming to see us on moving day or the next few days. We have to unpack and dont have time to show anyone around or people around, we need our time!! So she got the message.

I did the utilites a few weeks back and that was a pain. But I sat down one day and accomplished it in an hour. Now if I could do the same w packing!!

#207 of 313 Old 06-13-2007, 10:42 AM

Oooh, I love the blue. We've pretty much decided on that color. I may also try and do a bit of a cloud design. We'll see how ambitious I'm feeling.

Quilting is actually much quicker and easier than I expected. The quilt in that photo, my daughter's quilt, was the first one I ever attempted and it took about 2 months of sporadic work whenever I could grab a spare hour or two. I'm hoping my son's quilt will go much quicker. I likely won't start it until AFTER we move, though, because I know I won't have time to finish it in the next 3 weeks, and don't want to risk moving little bits of cut fabric and having crucial pieces get lost during the move. :P

I tore apart and packed the playroom last night, leaving out a few favorite toys for the kiddos. Two rooms down, uh...many to go.
#208 of 313 Old 06-13-2007, 12:36 PM

DH and I had been looking for a place to rent for months with zero luck. I finally said he should go talk to the bank about a loan and think about buying. Well, in less than two weeks he was making an offer on a condo and the owner has accepted!
:
It needs a little bit of work, but nothing major, and the location is perfect! I'm soooo excited!

If there are no surprises, he can move in on the 1st! I was hoping that he could move in a little early (the place is empty as it is) because the cats will be arriving over there on the 24th, but this is way better than the previous situation of not knowing if we'd find anything at all! I leave here for Florida in one week and am making substantial progress of getting rid of things, but slower progress on packing the stuff I'm keeping. It needs to get shipped to Denmark soon! Yesterday was my last day at work, so I can finally concentrate on packing and moving!
#209 of 313 Old 06-13-2007, 02:29 PM

Aside from changing addresses etc, I am coming up against this:

Is anyone happy they are moving, wanted to move etc needed a bigger space whatever but sad you are leaving your other space behind??

This house we bought over 10 years ago, took apart and put back together with our own hands. Both of us are feeling a bit emotional as the house gets more and more bare.

We are excited though about our new neighborhood, location, house etc.

Very weird!

OK, back to my box orgy.

#210 of 313 Old 06-13-2007, 02:46 PM

Hey, I need to join in. We suddenly decided to buy a house, and our closing date is June 28. It's exciting, but I don't like moving. Such a pain!

I had planned to pack a box each day, but things keep coming up. Time to buckle down.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page