Dumb Ikea question. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 04-03-2007, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love Ikea stuff. I've never been to a store, because we've never been around one. I've been online and I would love to order, but the shipping seems outrageous, what I can gather at least, the details are so ......not clear. Do you all have stores around you or do you shop online?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 04-03-2007, 10:53 AM

I just got a store near me last spring...and then promptly moved an hour further away (so now over an hour and a half drive). We still go there when we need something though. I haven't even looked at the shipping prices. I'm making a trip in a couple of weeks though--if you want some stuff and you think it could sent cheaper than what they charge, give me a shopping list!
#3 of 23 Old 04-03-2007, 11:26 AM

I never do more than windowshop online for Ikea. If I want to buy something, I go to the store (two hours away) and rattle/shake/rock the displays. I look at the joints to see if they've been glued or if they've used additional woodscrews.

Ikea stuff can be very sturdy or very rickety. It's really best to buy in person.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#4 of 23 Old 04-03-2007, 11:30 AM

I've only ever bought in person. I used to make a trip to Pittsburgh about 3 hours each way a couple of times a year when we lived in Ohio.

There's one a couple of hours away from me now, but I have only gone once since I know have kids and it's a long day for them.
#5 of 23 Old 04-03-2007, 11:52 AM

I just got a new one closer to me (we have 2 in the Chicago area) & I go every 5 months or so. I probably wouldn't order online myself though if I didn't have the option of the store, they do have great prices but not high quality. We just bought DS's toddler bed from there & already the wood is splitting : on the side. I have bought tons of stuff from IKEA that has just eventually made its way to Goodwill - the bedding & kitchen linens are an example. Some "good" things from IKEA (IMO) are: cheap wooden toys, glasswear (vases/decorative) & plant pots. I think IKEA is really hyped up/overrated these days but I also think they are an excellent company eco-wise.

What do people think about their LAMPS? I am thinking of getting a few from there.
#6 of 23 Old 04-03-2007, 12:04 PM

We have a store about 45 minutes away so I don't usually shop online but when DH needed a new dresser I decided to try it out. We only have a small car plus (at the time) a toddler and another on the way so we knew there was no way we were getting it home ourselves.

HUGE MISTAKE!!!! Not only was it a super pain in the rear to order online from them (plus they screwed up and shipped us TWO) but the shipping was $200!!!!!!

Now I realize that gas is expensive but quite honestly, I could have rented a truck and driven down there myself for FAR less money. It's not like the delivery truck was making a special trip just for us either. Personally I think it was a huge rip off.

A much more pleasurable option would have been to ask a friend to drive us down in their van and we could have had a fun outing to boot. As a matter of fact, when we needed some storage cupboards a few months later, that is exactly what we did.

So no, unless you live somewhere like the Yukon, I would not recommend it.

p.s. I realize I did have the option to cancel the order when I found out the shipping charge but I was super pregnant, I was stunned speechless by the price and it had been a long battle to get this dresser (things move slowly in our house) and I was afraid we would never get it if I gave up.
#7 of 23 Old 04-03-2007, 12:10 PM

We have two of their cheapest lamps and have been happy with the quality. It's very sturdy. I've also been impressed with the sturdiness of the couch we bought (it's cushionless, though, made kind of like a matress w/ springs, I have heard mixed reviews about couches w/ cushions).
#8 of 23 Old 04-03-2007, 12:38 PM

We have a bunch of lamps from them and think they are just fine. We have both hanging ceiling lamps and desk lamps, and one freestanding lamp. Just be aware that some of their lamps plug in to a wall socket and others are hard wired into a fixture. I know you can get different fittings to change the way it works but then they aren't quite as cheap anymore

In London we had a cushion-couch from them and it was kind of wobbly (it was about a year old, came with our rental unit). We had wardrobes from there that were great though. I really like them for Kitchen stuff and decorating stuff (you can't beat their 3x5 frames - 3 for $1.99, plain wood so can be painted or stained). We bought a sideboard that we are happy with and plan to buy the matching TV stand soon. I prefer their solid wood products to the pressboard products but that's just my personal opinion.

jog.gif:bikenew.gif// knit.gif:reading.gif:notes2.gif // cat.gif:cat.gif 

Our precious baby girl is coming to turn our world upside down in January 2014!

#9 of 23 Old 04-03-2007, 01:19 PM

I have bunches of Ikea stuff in my home...I LOVE it!!!!
There is an Ikea about 10 minutes from my home...so it is easy for me to run there and return in needed.

ps...op I have bought and shipped Ikea items to another MDC momma before, because shipping is outrageous! (I don't charge 'mark up' )

True Love is here....to stay!
#10 of 23 Old 04-03-2007, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

double post
#11 of 23 Old 04-03-2007, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much you guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma of monkeys View Post
I have bunches of Ikea stuff in my home...I LOVE it!!!!
There is an Ikea about 10 minutes from my home...so it is easy for me to run there and return in needed.

ps...op I have bought and shipped Ikea items to another MDC momma before, because shipping is outrageous! (I don't charge 'mark up' )
Quote:
Originally Posted by tie-dyed View Post
I just got a store near me last spring...and then promptly moved an hour further away (so now over an hour and a half drive). We still go there when we need something though. I haven't even looked at the shipping prices. I'm making a trip in a couple of weeks though--if you want some stuff and you think it could sent cheaper than what they charge, give me a shopping list!
#12 of 23 Old 04-03-2007, 03:50 PM

Here's my favorite story about their crazy shipping... one time we drove 4 hours to the one in Chicago. They were out of stock on an item we needed. Just a small item. They said they could order it for us, but couldn't tell us how much the shipping would be. We'd just have to order it to find out. But they weren't sure if we could cancel the order once we'd placed it. They said it could be a hundred dollars or more. For a little 3 ft by 1 ft by 1 ft cabinet. And that's assembled... imagine how small it is packed flat! I think its because they don't use standard carriers. I think they use their own trucks.
#13 of 23 Old 04-03-2007, 04:19 PM

The outrageous shipping (and the fact that only about 20% of IKEA's merchandise is ACTUALLY available for online purchase) is why I sell Ikea items on ebay. I charge a small mark-up over what IKEA charges in-store for the item, and charge as close to actual shipping as possible. I sell hundreds of items a month to people who don't live near a store and don't want to play IKEA's "guess the amount we will charge you for shipping" game.

P.S. I also frequently pick up items and charge actual price and actual shipping for fellow MDC mamas - I live 10 minutes away and am there MINIMALLY 3 times a week for my ebay business so let me know if I can help somehow!
#14 of 23 Old 04-03-2007, 09:21 PM

I'm in Denver, so no IKEA near us, closest ones are:

Chicago - 14 hours
Phoenix - 18 hours
Dallas - 12 hours

There is one going into Salt Lake this fall but that's still a 10 hour drive one way.

However, from time to time there are folks that advertise on Craigslist that they are going to IKEA in XX city and if you want them to buy something for you they will with help to off set the driving/ truck rental costs.

People save lots of money that way, pooling trips to save on the shipping which is frankly outrageous.
#15 of 23 Old 04-03-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benharperfan View Post
The outrageous shipping (and the fact that only about 20% of IKEA's merchandise is ACTUALLY available for online purchase) is why I sell Ikea items on ebay. I charge a small mark-up over what IKEA charges in-store for the item, and charge as close to actual shipping as possible. I sell hundreds of items a month to people who don't live near a store and don't want to play IKEA's "guess the amount we will charge you for shipping" game.

P.S. I also frequently pick up items and charge actual price and actual shipping for fellow MDC mamas - I live 10 minutes away and am there MINIMALLY 3 times a week for my ebay business so let me know if I can help somehow!
neighbor(ish)

True Love is here....to stay!
#16 of 23 Old 04-03-2007, 10:20 PM

I've been looking for a table on Craigslist and there's tons of IKEA stuff for sale. It's usually the cheaper stuff that furnished some grad student's apartment, but it's worth a search.

We go to IKEA relatively often, and I totally agree w/ PP who said that some of the stuff is great and some feels very cheap. Even their textiles look/feel very different up close than in the catalog.

Dawn - Mom to : Jack 11/04 and David 5/08
#17 of 23 Old 04-04-2007, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
CALL Ikea!!! They have two shipping methods - one is their own carrier directly to your house, the other is through an existing carrier (like Atlas Moving) to a drop point in your city. You then have to drive to the carrier's warehouse to pick up your item.
We ordered a full size futon from them, and direct to our house shipping was close to 250$, but shipping to the drop point was 75$. Considering it costs us 50$ in gas to get to the Ikea ourselves, the 75$ seemd fairly reasonable.
So, call about the drop point.

For greater things are yet to come...

#18 of 23 Old 04-04-2007, 02:22 PM

I'm totally in agreement that you should see the item in person before buying--Ikea has great stuff and crap, and it's hard to tell from the photos which are which! We have fantastic Ikea bookcases and a futon that my husband has had for seven years, but we've also seen some really shoddy stuff there.

I love Ikea's glass jars to hold dry goods like beans and rice. They have great storage boxes (cardboard ones that I really like, as well as plastic or metal).

I also love their meatballs. Reason enough to go to the store (if you eat meat!) and visit the restaurant! (They also have some great traditional wooden toys. I'm after an abacus for my daughter next time I'm in College Park.)

If you're within a reasonable drive of Ikea--I don't mean close, just within a couple of hours--it's worth going. We're lucky and have a nice new one close by, but we were willing to drive a bit to get to the old one before that store opened.
#19 of 23 Old 04-04-2007, 04:12 PM

The meatballs AND the breakfasts at the stores.

All the food, really.

Agreeing with the suggestion to see it before you buy it.
#20 of 23 Old 04-07-2007, 12:32 PM

Absolutely go to the store or send someone you trust! I've gotten some wonderful and inexpensive textiles there but I'm really glad I touched them first. The lamps are GREAT. I got a couple of really cool ones for $2 each in the damaged bin there since the shades were missing.

I also got a chandelier there that I ordered online and the shipping was nearly as much as the lamp itself.

Some of their stuff isn't the highest quality but it's great for a home with kids. I like that I can get some stuff there that I like for a reasonable price but it's not so dear that when it gets damaged by one of the kids, I flip. I'm saving the "nice" furniture purchases for when the kids are a little older.

We are getting an IKEA here in the 'nati next spring. I can't WAIT!!
#21 of 23 Old 04-08-2007, 04:22 PM

what do you all think of the bedding?
i really want to get quilt cover sets for all my kiddos....but i don't know what they are like....are they icky and scratchy? or nice soft cotton?
please let me know!
#22 of 23 Old 04-08-2007, 08:08 PM

I like their linens. All of the bedding stuff I have bought has been soft cotton. I would never order on line though, I like to touch everything before I buy

My mom lives right up the street from an IKEA, so I go everytime I am down there. I loooovvveee it. I have bought almost all of my rugs and planters there. When I moved into my first apartment it was so great to be able to afford funky, fun, cool stuff... that was over 15 years ago and I still have most of the items I bought there. I have never bought furniture there save for some side tables form my mom... but since we lived so close everyone we knew had IKEA stuff. I really like their towels and kitchen stuff too. I think, if it was within a 2 hour drive (which mine is) it is very worth it to go.

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#23 of 23 Old 04-09-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothertoall View Post
what do you all think of the bedding?
i really want to get quilt cover sets for all my kiddos....but i don't know what they are like....are they icky and scratchy? or nice soft cotton?
please let me know!
We had bedding from Ikea in London and I really liked it, and here in the US we have a duvet cover. The thing to beware of is that (at least in the UK - not positive about US) their beds are not necessarily standard sizes so if you have a non-Ikea bed the fitted sheet may not fit properly. I washed the bedding a few times before using but it's soft. Not as soft as our super-fancy egyptian cotton sheets but certainly softer than the $30 sheet sets from Fred Meyer (THOSE are scratchy!!!).

jog.gif:bikenew.gif// knit.gif:reading.gif:notes2.gif // cat.gif:cat.gif 

Our precious baby girl is coming to turn our world upside down in January 2014!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page