Under-the-stairs pantry - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-04-2007, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're almost ready to move into our new house (YAY!!!) but are flumoxed as to what to do with our pantry under the stairs. It has a regular-sized doorway (36"), with 4" of space to the left of the door and 5" to the right (making the total width of the pantry 45"). The entire space is finished (laminate flooring, painted the same as the rest of the house) and lit. There's just not nearly as much space for shelving as we were expecting and now I'm not sure what in the world we're going to do with the space.

MY original plan was to put shallow wire pantry organizers (6-1/2" deep) on either side for 2-3', then regular shelving the rest of the way back.

DH'S plan was to put 8" shelving on either side of the door, starting at the front and going all the way back (he thought there was a foot of clearance on either side of the door).

Any ideas as to the best way to use this space? I should have said at the beginning, my plan was to use this as storage for canned goods and bulk foods/household goods.

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2007, 02:13 AM

I would put a shelf on the tall side, for canned goods. Then put a light in and a childrens table and chairs so your DD can have a play house for when you are in the kitchen. Our under-stair playhouse was my favorite spot growing up. The dor was the kind that opened halfway so I could take orders.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgundyElephant View Post
I would put a shelf on the tall side, for canned goods. Then put a light in and a childrens table and chairs so your DD can have a play house for when you are in the kitchen. Our under-stair playhouse was my favorite spot growing up. The dor was the kind that opened halfway so I could take orders.
I think that is an excellent idea!
Old 04-05-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgundyElephant View Post
Yeah, my first idea was don't use it as a pantry. I have always thought the best "under the stair" uses involved playspace. People always think that kids love big open areas, most actually get a bigger kick out of closets and closed in spaces.

We have a big/deep pantry and we hate it. Stuff gets lost in there and we were constantly having to move things around to get to other stuff. We eventually moved the majority of our pantry type things into upper cabinets and we use our "pantry" to store the vacuum cleaner, broom, mop and left a few shelves at the top to store larger/bulkier items like TP, paper towels or items purchased in bulk.

Good Luck!

User Tag List