Getting rid of the cd jewel cases? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-19-2007, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We ordered 2 of these and could use another really since all the other CD;s are scattered in smaller cases. My only complaint about it is that the pages cannot be moved around, so if you're anal like me about having them in alphabetical order, that could be problematic if you get a new CD or forget one. But it has held up for over a year now and does fit most of the inserts (except for overly large ones).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2007, 02:24 PM

You can buy those plastic sleeves for protecting the disc from scratches.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:04 PM

I feel your pain! Our cd collection tops out around 1500! We live in three bedroom house that is 900 sq. ft and the cd's take up half a wall. The room they are in is a disaster. It is definitely next stop on our decluttering mission! I would love to shut the door and walk away, but unfortunately it's where the computer is. Just to give you an idea, I've included a picture. Ultimately, I would love to have them all stored on our computer, but dh has some sentimental attachment to most of them. He just loves to read those liner notes!!! I should mention that many of the cd's are not in there proper home, hence the gaps.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p...7/HPIM1143.jpg

I really wanted this 2x2 cube that I found in Rolling Stone magazine, but to house all of the cd's it would cost about $850.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:16 PM

I did it and I love it! I moved over the CDs and DVDs to two separate CD binders. They're alphabetized by artist, with the liner notes in place, so it's easy to find what I want. I don't use them all that often and haven't found any problems of scratching.

I gave the jewel cases away on Freecycle.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:36 PM

Just wanted to say that we gave a whole bag of empty jewel cases to our library last week, and they were extremely, bending-over-backwards grateful. So if you're looking to get rid of some, ask at your library!

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
Old 04-30-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaste View Post
I did it and I love it! I moved over the CDs and DVDs to two separate CD binders. They're alphabetized by artist, with the liner notes in place, so it's easy to find what I want. I don't use them all that often and haven't found any problems of scratching.
Are you using the same binders for both, or different kinds?

I still haven't made the switch. I started looking at the binders, then our computer needed to go to the computer doctor so my online shopping was put on hold. But I looked at the binders in the store and I'm just not sure about how the liner notes will fit into the CD binder. Do they really fit in there okay? Have you kept just the notes or do you pull out the covers as well (they are mostly replicas of the notes, I think?).
Old 04-30-2007, 11:19 PM

We use something like these for DVDs, and similar for CDs and computer programs. We have at least 10 books for everything. They work great! We have all of the music ripped, so they are just back-up.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:23 PM

we have a ton.. but not 500... I dont know what to do with them all :

uh.. goodwill may like them... but I appreciate the library comment.. I wouldnt have thought!

Crys - mom to DS, C (6/04) expecting twins 2/23/13 joy.gif

Old 05-01-2007, 01:50 AM

I asked a similar question a few months back.

I love using binders, but made the mistake of not getting ones with pages that can be moved around. If you go the route of binders, be sure to get the one with rings so you can move the pages around when you get new CDs.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=589861

Zachary (Jan. 16, 05), Blossom (Sept. 14, 08)
::
Old 05-01-2007, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovelife View Post
Are you using the same binders for both, or different kinds?

I still haven't made the switch. I started looking at the binders, then our computer needed to go to the computer doctor so my online shopping was put on hold. But I looked at the binders in the store and I'm just not sure about how the liner notes will fit into the CD binder. Do they really fit in there okay? Have you kept just the notes or do you pull out the covers as well (they are mostly replicas of the notes, I think?).
I'm using different kinds of binders just because that's what I had on hand. The liner notes fit just fine in the binder. I left gaps between letters when I alphabetized so I could add more CDs easily.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaKalena View Post
I asked a similar question a few months back.

I love using binders, but made the mistake of not getting ones with pages that can be moved around. If you go the route of binders, be sure to get the one with rings so you can move the pages around when you get new CDs.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=589861
Good point! I love DD's DVD binder because it has one DVD per page, so it is easy to add DVDs. Those binders don't work for a LOT of DVDs though, luckily DD just has a few!
Old 05-02-2007, 01:25 AM

We have all of ours in the big books. The only problem I had with this was years ago. I took my ENTIRE case to the beach. Most of my CDs were ruined from the sand.

My brother has a great idea though. He has an Ipod, so he just uploaded all of his music and put his stuff in a big case. He only needs it in case his Ipod breaks.

My husband and I have most of ours ripped to our computers, too, and we have a removeable hard drive that we can take with us if we need it.

Ok, just realized how dorky that sounded.

Rahnee
Old 05-04-2007, 06:10 AM

I don't *do* jewel cases, they don't even make it home from the store.

I remove the papers and trim them to fit into the pockets in the book, then toss the plastic. The plastic is always getting broken anyway.

I usually burn my CD's and I have one book of "originals" and one book of the copies that I actually use, so I preserve the music even if the using-cd gets scratched. Until just recently I've never had enough computer memory, so I developed the 2-cd method.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:02 AM

I put the music CDs, with their jewel cases, in a dresser drawer. We keep computer CDs in a binder.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:59 PM

We are having a moving sale this weekend and we don't have the jewel cases for the cd's. It is a bummer because we threw them away without thinking that later on we would get sick of certain cd's. Bummer. So I say keep SOME, but not 500.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:59 AM

About 10 years ago I also got rid of hundreds of jewel cases but I didn't put them in a notebook style case. I found a smaller filing system at an organization store and I'm having a heck of a time finding a picture to show of it!

I put the cd's and the inserts into plastic pouches that came with the system and put them in order alphabetically. I can flip through them one at a time as they are upright, or I can take them out as a whole piece and pop them, still in the plastic pouch, into a carrying case that I can put in the car. I don't do much of that anymore (now that I can burn cd's) but it's still a great way to have them in a small space at home.

But I guess that doesn't help much if I can't show you where to buy one like it. Sorry!
Old 05-06-2007, 04:57 AM

Im a late replier but I used to keep all of these cases but now I am getting rid of them. They are too much hassle. I can store a mini carrying case with 2 inches on a bookshelf (fits 20-40 discs).. Imagine how much space those cases would take up!
Old 05-15-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasshell View Post
About 10 years ago I also got rid of hundreds of jewel cases but I didn't put them in a notebook style case. I found a smaller filing system at an organization store and I'm having a heck of a time finding a picture to show of it!
This sounds interesting. Can you take a pic of it? I still haven't figured out what to do! I want to get it done before the end of the month. Those big binders just seem cumbersome somehow. And I don't want to have 15 little binders! Maybe I should just get rid of the CDs...
Old 05-15-2007, 05:31 PM

I got a chest of drawers with 8 CD-sized drawers. It's probably a little less than a foot deep. Most of my CDs are in clear plastic sleeves with their inserts/liner notes (sort of like old LPs). I haven't removed all of them from the jewel cases yet, but when I do, I'm going to file them in the drawers. I don't know where I can find tabs for them--if I can't I'll just make some.

I was going to try to make a filing system with boxes, but then I spotted the chest of drawers, so I decided to go with that.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:50 PM

We are a jewel case free household! (well, okay except for the Star Trek DVDs.) We keep the DVDs in a case and the CDs in other cases. It's so much nicer to not have to worry about jewel cases. Once in a while, I wish I had the cover to look at something, but not often enough to make a difference.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:51 PM

Oh, I forgot to add. The only DVDs that have gotten scratched up were the ones dd pulled out and played with about a year ago - little stinker - she ruined Harry Potter!!!
Old 05-18-2007, 12:28 AM

I finally did it! Well, I ordered the supplies, anyway. I decided not to use the binders since they seem cumbersome to me. Instead, I just ordered enough of the individual prosleeves for all my CDs, then got a couple cardboard/leather-look boxes to hold them. I'd like to find some alphabetical dividers, but maybe I'll just use extra colored prosleeves or something. I'm so excited!! I'm going to post the jewel cases on Freecycle.

User Tag List