Getting rid of the cd jewel cases? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 52 Old 04-17-2007, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have over 500 music cds and the space they take up is : . We are also military and move every 3-4 years so that's a lot of weight and a lot of unpacking, as well as dusting every so often. I desperately want to get rid of the cases and put the discs and accompanying insert in some of those large books for cds. My husband says no because the cds can get damaged from sliding in and out all the time. I argue that we aren't a rental store constantly getting them out of the books daily (our video store uses this method and they are often scratched...most likely from customers, but he's still firm). Heck, we usually keep cds in our player for weeks at a time without changing them out.

Has anyone gotten rid of the jewel cases and regretted it? Are there any other cons you can think of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 52 Old 04-17-2007, 07:34 PM

: I want to do the same. My dh is very attached to his jewel cases. We don't have 500 cds though.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#3 of 52 Old 04-17-2007, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
: I want to do the same. My dh is very attached to his jewel cases. We don't have 500 cds though.
What is their deal?? :
#4 of 52 Old 04-17-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmergal2005 View Post
What is their deal?? :
no idea. It would be one thing if he actually tracked all the cases down and returned the cds to them....

#5 of 52 Old 04-17-2007, 08:15 PM

I have all of my cds and dvds in these type of cases and it works fine. I've had them like that for about 5 years and none of them are damaged (at least not from the case). If you put the cd insert in first and the cd in front of it I don't really see how you're going to get it scratched up unless you're just roughly shoving them in there. There's no way I could live with all of the cases (I have at least 200 cds and at least 60 dvds). Also, in the future consider buying music online and then you don't have to worry about more cd's laying around. I haven't bought a new cd in about 2 years, but I've bought tons of songs from itunes. It's def. cut down on my clutter!

I have several friends whos dh's are the same way. I really don't get why they are soooo attached to the cases. :
#6 of 52 Old 04-17-2007, 08:22 PM

We throw ours away too. They just take up too much space.

Melonee, mom to Chloe 03/21/03 ribboncesarean.gif, Cooper 02/02/2007 vbac.gif, and Piper 12/27/09  vbac.gif
#7 of 52 Old 04-17-2007, 08:25 PM

We got rid of all of our jewel cases and don't regret it one bit! We put them in CD folders. It makes finding what you want so much easier. I had to beg DH a little bit though, because he wanted to keep all of the inserts and everything. But now he doesn't miss them at all.
#8 of 52 Old 04-17-2007, 09:14 PM

We did it about a year ago and haven't looked back, it's great! I just convinced my DH we need to do it for the DVD's too. To do this though, I had to tell him we'd store the cases for the DVD's in the attic in a box. Then they can slowly go away. . .
#9 of 52 Old 04-17-2007, 09:19 PM

i've done it with dvd's. unless you plan on selling them i don't see how there could be regret.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#10 of 52 Old 04-17-2007, 09:59 PM

We do this, with both cds and dvds. DH has done this since we were married, so some of our cds have been slid in and out for almost 9 years. We haven't had any damage at all yet. He does like to keep the jackets, so we slide the little book into one of the pockets instead of wall to wall cds (if that makes sense). We are also a military family, so it definitely makes it easier than carting all of those jewel cases.

We've been talking about getting rid of all of our cds in the future, since digital seems to be the way of the future... we might just rip all of our cds to mp3 files and get rid of them completely!
#11 of 52 Old 04-17-2007, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Anyone wanting to get rid of them, please let me know! I am a rubber stamper and me and my friends store our stamps in them! Really handy! I am sure I can find people near you to take them or be willing to pay postage for them!
#12 of 52 Old 04-18-2007, 03:13 AM

We put all our cds/inserts in binders at least 8 yrs ago, put the jewel cases in boxes. Last year DH loaded them all into iTunes. BUT we can't get rid of the boxes of jewel cases in the basement or the binders of cd's. so we effectively have the jewel cases in one place, the binders in another, and the computer holding the music too, not to mention the iPods. this reminds me to bug him again about them. hmmm....
#13 of 52 Old 04-18-2007, 03:41 AM

I put the kid's computer games in a zippered carry case about 6 months ago, and it has been wonderful, much much better than them taking them in and out of the cases, they were scratching them worse that way and I was going nuts putting the CD's back in the proper cases all the time, now they can go wherever in the case and we can flip the pages to pick out which one we are going to play.

I would like to put the DVD's in one also but my youngest still relies on the pictures of the packages to tell me what he wants to watch (speech/language/hearing issue) so for now I have held out and since we only watch them occasionally they are not being handled as often.

I donated the jewel cases to our the local elemetry school, they were very pleased to get them.
#14 of 52 Old 04-18-2007, 09:56 AM

We did this at hubbies urging. It was nice to not have so much space taken up, but it did take me a while to get used to using it. It seemed harder to find what I wanted even though it was in alpabetical order.....something about seeing the cases helps you locate I think.

I think especially with moving alot, having them in a big folder makes things much easier!

Good luck! I think its a great idea and so does dh.....so there are two more people you can use to convince your hubby with. :-)

rebecca
#15 of 52 Old 04-18-2007, 12:44 PM

We also did this and haven't looked back. DH ripped all our CDs (about 500; it was a near-Herculean effort ) over time to our computer, and then we backed up all the music files on an external hardrive.

We still have the CDs as backups (and to listen to in the car), but we've put them in two large binders. When all is said and done, the binders take up very little space, and we've never had an issue with them breaking or scatching.

K(h)aren. Writing/editing mama to my quixotic Sam (12.07) and my intrepid William (01.11).

#16 of 52 Old 04-18-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post
Anyone wanting to get rid of them, please let me know! I am a rubber stamper and me and my friends store our stamps in them! Really handy! I am sure I can find people near you to take them or be willing to pay postage for them!
the geometry's not working for me -- how do you store a stamp in a jewel case?

#17 of 52 Old 04-18-2007, 03:02 PM

I got about halfway through transferring my cds into transparent sleeves with their liner notes. This was some time ago, and finishing it keeps getting put off. I have a little dresser-thingy that I'm going to put them in when they're done. I want to make little tabs for the drawers, and probably alphabetize them.

I'd intended to do all this before moving (this weekend) but it'll have to wait.
#18 of 52 Old 04-18-2007, 04:21 PM

I am going to see if dh will go for this. I just moved all our CDs from their own piece of furniture (CD shelf 4 feet tall) to a shelf on our bookcase. But into binders would take even less space!
#19 of 52 Old 04-18-2007, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Kerc

I use unmounted rubber stamps They are mounted on a static cling type cushin then you attach them to acrylic "blocks" instead of wooden ones. The stamp and cushin are just the right depth that if you take out the "tray" part the cd sits in so you just have the clear plastic part, they stick to the plastic and you can close the lid to keep them together I know, more then you EVER wanted to know about rubber stamps
#20 of 52 Old 04-18-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post
Kerc

I use unmounted rubber stamps ...... I know, more then you EVER wanted to know about rubber stamps

gotcha. LOL I know more than you ever dreamed of about esoteric things too....I'll keep you in mind when I purge my cd jewel cases.

#21 of 52 Old 04-18-2007, 07:24 PM

Didn't read all the posts but a friend of ours have a 400 cd player! It's way cool!

We don't really have cd's anymore and have gone totally to mp3's. I have a handfull that I keep at my office since they don't like us to store music on our machines here.
#22 of 52 Old 04-18-2007, 07:29 PM

For those of you who got rid of the cases, what do you do with the inserts? DH hates clutter, but for some reason he doesn't want to throw these away.

Maybe a good temporary step would be to keep the cases separate? Or maybe all the inserts could go in a box and we could toss the cases?

There's me, DH, and the little guy (8/05). Expecting another little one 10/10! Hoping for a .
#23 of 52 Old 04-18-2007, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggingmama View Post
For those of you who got rid of the cases, what do you do with the inserts? DH hates clutter, but for some reason he doesn't want to throw these away.

Maybe a good temporary step would be to keep the cases separate? Or maybe all the inserts could go in a box and we could toss the cases?
The sleeves in the books should accommodate them, I would think. Someone replied that that's what they did.
#24 of 52 Old 04-18-2007, 08:42 PM

Yeah, but they never seem to fit in the sleeves of the books I get. Maybe I'm just getting the wrong kind?

There's me, DH, and the little guy (8/05). Expecting another little one 10/10! Hoping for a .
#25 of 52 Old 04-18-2007, 09:28 PM

I did this when I moved to the USA - put my Cds into a book-style case.

I can't stand it and have since been bringing the jewel cases over a few at a time and reuniting them with the CDs. I much prefer having the case and the insert available, I would not consider throwing away my jewel cases.

Mummy to two,  vbac.gif winner.jpgsigncirc1.gif
#26 of 52 Old 04-18-2007, 11:06 PM

I didn't throw away the inserts, just the jewel cases.
#27 of 52 Old 04-19-2007, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Y'all are giving me courage to bring it up again and to be rather... insistent.
#28 of 52 Old 04-19-2007, 04:01 AM

Don't do it. We just did this in Jan with all our DVDs and all the ones we watch often are getting all scratched up and it's hard to see what movie is what. I deeply regret throwing away all the cases (DH was dead set against it as well, so I'm not letting him know I regret it!)

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#29 of 52 Old 04-19-2007, 07:50 AM

I just organized our CDs after years of saying "this needs to be done"!

My DH also wants to keep "his" CDs in the jewel cases. The CDs that are mostly "mine" or for the kids usually live in CD wallets anyway so I'm ditching our cases. Our public library takes them because theirs get cracked often and need replacing.

I keep both the inserts, back and front, in a plastic shoebox-size container, organized alphabetically. I'd like to get sleeves for them at some point but I'm not ready yet.

We're slowly weeding through the remaining CDs, giving them all a listen to decide which ones we really want to keep. The ones we don't keep we list on swapacd.com.

I would love to move "his" CDs to a huge binder, but we'll see. I agree, what is it with DHs and the stupid jewel cases?!

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#30 of 52 Old 04-19-2007, 10:48 AM

I talked to dh & he is on board. : For those of you who have binders that accommodate both the CD and the inserts/sleeves, does anyone have a link to something that will work for that? I'm not even sure where to purchase them....I'm guessing a music store?

That swapacd.com site looks pretty neat.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page