Colour suggestions for LR/DR? **PICS** It's painted!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 04-19-2007, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New pictures of the new living room, dining room and kitchen! I know, they're late in coming. I still have a bit of stuff to do, but overall I am really happy with it. It's so bright and cheerful now!

Picture time!

Entrance view when you come in the apartment door.

Kitchen
to the left (excuse the mess, I had people over and haven't done the dishes yet

Living room view from dining room. This wall is too bland. I need to get rid of the monster stack of book sale books and recover those stacking stools. I need to add something to the window.Might add coloured panels on each side. I'm not sure.

Dining room view from living room. Need to recover pillow on chair. (Again, ignore the monster pile of material. I'm sewing a quilt )

Kitchen view from dining room. Need to add curtain to coat closet.

Hallway

Couch Need to add more pics over couch and lower them a bit. Also need to clean up area on each side of couch and tidy/arrange tablescape behind couch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I live in an apartment where I can paint. They actually supplied me with 6 cans of white paint when I moved in. I just had colour added to them. Now we've been here almost 4 years and I'm getting tired of the blue in my living room/dining room. The room is long and narrow. (Well, about 12'x22'.) The only source of natural light is a balcony door at the living room end on a short wall. The light doesn't really reach the other end of the room.

I find that although I like the blue colour, it's a bit dark and dingy looking in this space. Here are a couple pics.

Couch and wall

Closeup of couch

Cabinet The flash made the wood look weird in this pic.

Table and chairs Close to what wood looks like IRL.

The pictures are a bit older. I've changed some of the furniture around, hung some stuff on the walls and changed the lamps since they were taken. But this gives an idea.

The new paint colour has to match the grayish blue carpet. A lot of real wood furniture and the couch. I would love something light and airy. Or warm and cozy. I was thinking possibly, of a light yellow colour but was worried about the way it would look with the wood. Another idea is a warm, creamy beige. But I am open to any and all suggestions. Help me please!
#2 of 31 Old 04-19-2007, 12:03 PM

My first thought was yellow, and then I read that you were also thinking yellow.
I think it would be nice since you have no natural light.
Do you light this yellow its MDC Delights home. The color is warm muffin by Behr.
I like it as it does not scream yellow, but feels very light and airy.
#3 of 31 Old 04-19-2007, 01:38 PM

I love your table, chairs, and cabinet! I love wood stuff though.

My thought would be for a rich orangy/red to highlight the wood and match the couch. I am not keen on orange by itself but mixed in with some red and I think you get a great offset for what you have.

Just my thoughts! :-)

But, the blue has to go!

with smiles,
rebecca
#4 of 31 Old 04-19-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriansmummy View Post
My first thought was yellow, and then I read that you were also thinking yellow.
I think it would be nice since you have no natural light.
Do you light this yellow its MDC Delights home. The color is warm muffin by Behr.
I like it as it does not scream yellow, but feels very light and airy.
:
it would look great with the wood in your room and maybe bring out the yellow design on your red couch

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#5 of 31 Old 04-19-2007, 07:31 PM

my first thought was purple, light purple, maybe a lavender with orange and red like the couch accents

could do the yellow either bright sunny or pale, I like bright sunny and accent with lavender

or you could do an orange, not bright flouresent, although a pumpkin pie color, before you bake it, not browned like after baking, would work, could accent that with red to match the couch on the walls somehow

what I'm thinking by accent, a geometric design, like on the front of your cabinet, how the grain of wood goes at an angle, could do same size rectangles on the walls the same demension of the small rectangle on the front doors of the cabinet and paint leaving brush strokes at angles just like the doors then you could hang pictures or whatever you have inthose painted areas, almost like a picture frame on the wall behind the actual picture frame

lavender walls and red accent would work too
yellow walls and red accent would work

or you could do a chair rail stripe around the room

or you could pick up the X that is on the back part of the table chairs

I like to mix color and not just have 1 on a wall so...
#6 of 31 Old 04-19-2007, 07:44 PM

I was thinking of a yellow too, but the orange is an interesting direction also. Careful with orange though. We painted our bathroom Tiger Stripe Orange, and it shows every flaw (bumps and dents!) in the wall. Please posta picture after you paint too!

Jakob 10/12/2005...He thinks he's
Mollie 12/8/2008....Pure sweetness
#7 of 31 Old 04-19-2007, 07:49 PM

I think a bright orange is in order personally - something with lots of yellow in it, like a sunshiney orange. Our friends did this with their darker living room and it looks AMAZING!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#8 of 31 Old 04-20-2007, 02:17 AM

I was thinking a warm buttery yellow. And wow, I LOVE your furniture. Totally jealous. It would also look really cute with an avocado, buttery green color. You'd have to get the green just right, but it could look cute.
#9 of 31 Old 04-20-2007, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! It might not be obvious from the pics, but the couch is more of a burgundy/dark pink colour so orange is out of the question. I want a colour that is light yet warm. Orange all over would be too much. In my last apartment I painted a large room yellow, but it was a really lemony strong yellow. It was nice on a 2" square but horrible on my walls!

A nice buttery warm yellow might be good. Then I'm going to add in plenty of accent colours to break it up a bit. Now if I can just get DH on board. He probably thinks that there's no need to paint at all.
#10 of 31 Old 04-21-2007, 10:44 PM

Remember, you can often get little bitty bottles of paint before you get a full gallon of whatever color. I'd do that with some of the colors you're considering and paint posterboards with them to put up around the room in various places and see which you like best.

(Or, since you're haveing trouble getting your dh to agree, just paint large sections of the wall with the colors. I'm mostly kidding about this one.)
#11 of 31 Old 04-23-2007, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, turns out DH doesn't mind if I repaint our apartment. Usually he tends to go the "it looks good enough the way it is" route. So either he a) doesn't mind because he knows I'll be doing all the work and we can afford it or b) he's tired of the blue colour too.

I'm having a really hard time with the idea of painting over the blue though. Don't know why. Anyways, I was at Rona yesterday looking at paint. I was feeling the overload of sorting through 1001 shades of yellow when I saw mixed paint already sitting on the shelf. It's recycled paint, low VOC, and $12/can instead of $20-35. There weren't a lot of colours to choose from, but really that was a blessing! I settled on wheat. My paint looks a smidge more yellowy.

So I pulled out the microwave stand, blobbed some paint on the wall and realized I really need primer. I can't believe I didn't even think of it! I was totally in a painting mood today too! So seeing I'm going back to the store anyways, which of the other colours available should I choose to paint adjoining rooms/hallways? Keep in mind I have a lot of blue, natural green and a couple pink accessories.
#12 of 31 Old 04-23-2007, 08:39 AM

How about that Moss green color? #5181-60

I really like the wheat that you picked out! Moss would really work nice with it and with everything else.

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#13 of 31 Old 04-23-2007, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeelise View Post
How about that Moss green color? #5181-60

I really like the wheat that you picked out! Moss would really work nice with it and with everything else.
I had my eye on the moss green, but the problem is, my bedroom is already painted a shade of green (lighter/softer green) that doesn't match moss green. And the bedroom is the only room I wasn't planning on repainting. I really want the colours to flow nicely because I live in a small apartment where it's all kind of open.
#14 of 31 Old 04-23-2007, 11:04 AM

How about Dune 5181-39 or Shore 5181-41?

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#15 of 31 Old 04-23-2007, 11:51 AM

one of my favorite yellowy creams is Behr paint Cotton Whisper...I think it would bring out the wood nicely
#16 of 31 Old 04-23-2007, 12:24 PM

Any of the colors would look fine with wheat I think.
Would peony work? That would keep things warm.
I like ocean. Would that flow into your bedroom color better?

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#17 of 31 Old 04-23-2007, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

I've thought about it and realized I want a warm colour. So I'm trying to decide between Terra cotta, Berry, Peony and Shore (in store, the shore looked a bit darker and richer).

Fantastic news though, I got primer. So now I can paint to my hearts content. I thought I'd have to drive across town (30min one way) to get to nearest store, but I totally forgot that there's a local hardware store close to where I work. And primer was on sale. It was meant to be.
#18 of 31 Old 04-23-2007, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I love the color wheat you choose, it will look nice in your room. My preferences are the Terra cotta, Shore, or Dune. I like the shades although I normally are drawn towards cooler colors but Terra cotta really caught my interest immediately when looking at the link.

Me 28, DH 30 , 2 Kitties and working towards having Baby #1. 
“The past has no power over the present moment.” Eckhart Tolle
#19 of 31 Old 04-23-2007, 06:30 PM

We had a family room like that (w/o much natural light) in our old house and painted the walls lemonade yellow with white trim. It made the room 10,000 times brighter and I loved it.

Mom to (5) (9)
#20 of 31 Old 04-23-2007, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Why did I think I should paint my LR/DR?

All the furniture is pushed into the middle of the room. One coat of primer is on the walls. It looks so ugly and I'm tired. I'm having a break now with a can of minestrone soup and bread for supper. Slowly feeling energy coming back. Might start a coat of wheat on the walls.

Seriously, the room is about 12'x25'. Let this be a warning to you all. Think real hard before deciding to redecorate!
#21 of 31 Old 04-23-2007, 10:04 PM

Because it's going to be beautiful when you are done and you can proudly say "I did it!"

Can't wait to see the after pics!
#22 of 31 Old 04-25-2007, 11:43 AM

We have a large LR/DR. We had to strip wallpaper off of part of it, prime and then paint. It was a lot of work. It was worth it when we finally finished. I love how the color looks with our things and how it changed the feel of the space by just using a warmer color.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#23 of 31 Old 04-27-2007, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I've finished most of the painting. I painted the LR/DR (1 coat primer, 2 paint) and the kitchen (2 coats paint). I am so tired. I still have the hallway to finish up and our computer room, but that can wait for a bit! Once I got started, I had to keep painting. The bedroom will totally not match but I don't care. I'll just keep the door shut!

So, the LR/DR is painted wheat and I love it! Half way through I was starting to wonder, but it's been done for a couple days now and it's really grown on me. It lightens/opens up the room so much! I just sit there smiling, looking around.

The kitchen which was just painted today is Berry. I'm hoping IT will grow on me. Right now it's looking quite dark.

I'm not going to post pics yet because the place is a mess. I need to arrange furniture, accessories and do some sewing. So you guys will just have to wait till next week.
#24 of 31 Old 06-06-2007, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

#25 of 31 Old 06-06-2007, 12:19 AM

Can't wait to see pics!
#26 of 31 Old 06-06-2007, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_opihi View Post
Can't wait to see pics!
They're in the first post. Top part is update, bottom part is before.
#27 of 31 Old 06-06-2007, 12:41 AM

nice! i really like that berry color in particular. great job!!
#28 of 31 Old 06-06-2007, 01:05 AM

Wowwwee! Looks like a different place. I love the colors you picked. Your home looks very warm and cozy.

Great job!
#29 of 31 Old 06-06-2007, 02:38 AM

it looks fantastic! I love it Great job....my house is next

Lee Ann ~ SAHM to Carolina(4)uc.jpg, Aurora (2)uc.jpg, and belly.gifwith #3 - due in December!
#30 of 31 Old 06-06-2007, 05:06 AM

Looks great! The kitchen color choice was really nice. It really brings everything together with the wood and the couch.

My living room is the same blue color and I've been itching to paint it...maybe you've inspired me!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page