wanted: PICTURES! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 91 Old 04-22-2007, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so inspired by Delight! I was wondering if any other of you mamas who are compacting, or just plain living in smaller quarters that you have made functional would post some pictures for others that are a bit challenged in this area. I good at downsizing, but not at all at organization. I could use some ideas!

p.s. I'm also super nosy and love to see other's living spaces. It's amazing when you are good at it how much it can say...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 91 Old 04-23-2007, 08:53 AM

i second this :0)
pictures really give me inspiration,come on mamas,share pretty please

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#3 of 91 Old 04-23-2007, 11:22 AM

I also would love to see pictures of others spaces. I must admit I saw a picture of SageR and Delite's living spaces and they inspired me so much.

After my son gets home today I will have him help me post some pictures of my space. Be forwarned they are going to be the BEFORE shots not the after shots. I am still working hard at that part.

Elizabeth
#4 of 91 Old 04-23-2007, 01:36 PM

I would also love to see pictures! I can't tell you how many ideas I've gotten from Delights apartments and from others here! It's so great to see how others use their space!
#5 of 91 Old 04-23-2007, 04:11 PM

Not compacting, but I do live in a smaller home (five of us in about 1200 sq ft) and have been decluttering for a couple years. I LOVE organizing and freecycling!

I'll start with the kids' room (be kind as I just snapped and didn't clean ). It's the biggest room in the house, meant to be the master, but we put the kids in there (minus youngest DS who's still with us).

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/momtojak...804346181184/0
This is the view from the hall door. DS has the bunk beds. DD used the low bed (even DD loves Thomas!). But they tend to go from bed to bed, so they're all unmade (we're really bad about making beds). His dresser houses his foldables and next to that is his shelf . Each child's shelf is off limits to the other . . . special things get put on there. Anything left on the floor is fair game . The drawers under the bunk house some of his toys and extra sheets for all beds in the room.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/momtojak...804346181152/1
DS's closet. His own space. Keeps lots of his "little" toys in there . . . K'NEX, Legos, special books and cards and things. Hangables too. Uniforms on the bottom and dress clothes on the top. As soon as I get my scrapbook pages out of there, there will be better space for the sleeping bags and anything else he wants up there.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/momtojak...804346191301/2
DD's side of the room (behind the door is a half bath). Her dresser and shelf. Lots of art on the walls. DS's bulletin board for projects and things (won't fit on his side). The laundry sorter for all three kids . . . I started doing laundry by person, which has been much easier.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/momtojak...804346208980/3
My photo shelves. Scrapbooking is my only "hobby," so I have lots of them . Photos kept here as well. The filing cabinet is due to be moved upstairs and my MOMS Club bag is still there from the meeting last month (need to put that away!). WHen the cabinet is gone, they'll have a nice little place to curl up with whatever. I've thought of putting their books in here for a reading nook, but I like the books in the living room. Still debating (I rearrange a lot to find what works for us as our needs change).

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/momtojak...804346215151/4
Our closet. DD has bottom left. DH has upper left. I have most of the right, with DH's pants. I have some things in a spare closet in another room, but almost all of our clothes are here. Drawer units hold our socks and things. Someday, DH and I will have real furniture . Until then, it's easy to put the laundry away when almost all of it is in one room.

That's all I have for now. I'll add more rooms later . . . when kids and time allow--naps are sporadic at best here . I'm always in a mode to get better streamlined and get rid of more, but it takes time. I have to admit that when everything is put away and the beds are made, the room looks really nice. One of my favorites in the house!
#6 of 91 Old 04-23-2007, 04:38 PM

Jess, none of your links are working!
#7 of 91 Old 04-23-2007, 04:42 PM

I can't open the pics links either.
#8 of 91 Old 04-23-2007, 04:58 PM

Hm. They worked the first time . . . and now they don't for me, either. Let me see what I can do.

For now, I'll try a link to the main set.
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/momtojakeandemma/
#9 of 91 Old 04-23-2007, 05:00 PM

Okay, now I just got them to work. Maybe a server issue?

Off to the dentist . . . I'll check back in later.
#10 of 91 Old 04-23-2007, 06:02 PM

Part of our living in a small space comes from that post-college pre-career "just slightly above poverty level salary" urban apartment-living thing that so many people experience. Part of it is my desire to live simply/have high-quality things, even (and especially) when that means having fewer things/we just completed a move from Eugene to Seattle & didn't want to have to rent a u-haul truck. To get a picture of what that means, we moved up here with only what would fit in a Dodge Neon, a Ford Aerostar, and a 5'x8' towable Uhaul trailer. We bought more furniture once we were here, but since it's all IKEA stuff, that would fit in the trailer/van, too, were we to move again And I know IKEA=/=high quality, but it's what we can afford for now, and at least it LOOKS nice, even if it's mass-produced. I have no idea the sq. footage of our place, but if I were to guess I'd say it's about 600 sq. ft. It's 2 bedrooms (well 1+bonus room), 1 (very small) bathroom, an open living/dining area, and the world's most cramped kitchen. There's a lot more closet space than in our last place, though, and that's really really nice.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gonzopan...nAnneApartment
#11 of 91 Old 04-23-2007, 06:15 PM

They're not working for me.
#12 of 91 Old 04-23-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shershine View Post
They're not working for me.
whose aren't working? that's the link that google gives when I "share album" via e-mail, so I hope it's not mine!
#13 of 91 Old 04-23-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennnk View Post
whose aren't working? that's the link that google gives when I "share album" via e-mail, so I hope it's not mine!
Still not working for me either.
#14 of 91 Old 04-23-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofjojo View Post
Still not working for me either.
maybe if it's a link?
#15 of 91 Old 04-23-2007, 06:54 PM

jennk~ Your pics worked fine for me, but Jess A yours didn't.
#16 of 91 Old 04-23-2007, 07:50 PM

OKay. I'm completely befuddled. I'll post them to my blog after tball.
#17 of 91 Old 04-23-2007, 08:34 PM

I was talking about Jess A's pics! Sorry, I should have clarified.
#18 of 91 Old 04-23-2007, 09:28 PM

Let's try this . . . I did a blog entry with the photos--hopefully I can link to there.

the kid's room
#19 of 91 Old 04-24-2007, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I only have pics of kitchen and living room on mine. There are also some fishing pics mixed in www.flickr.com/photos/simplelivingmomma/ Hope that works, links and I don't always get along. If I remember tomorrow I'll add kids brs, our br and baths.
#20 of 91 Old 04-24-2007, 10:41 AM

I will share pictures of one room a day. I will take the picture first thing in the morning and post.

I am going to post them as they are. As I said before all my rooms are a work in progress and I would love input from anyone as to how you would simplify/organize/decorate.

I am open to all suggestions.

Here goes:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7197967@N04/?saved=1

Hope this works.
Elizabeth
#21 of 91 Old 04-24-2007, 12:31 PM

momma3boyz : I posted a comment on your flicker page. I love the orange -- do you know the name? Did you like the paint? We painted our current kitchen sort of an orange-y color and the paint did not go on smoothly -- menards (hardware store) brand paint. I'm wanting to paint my dining room the exact color you picked for the kitchen -- the new kitchen (we move thursday) is yellow and I think it will go nicely.

thanks for sharing photos -- i like the green bedroom jess. You have 3 kids in that room? 2 kids? why the bunk bed + other bed if you only have 2? I got confused. Nice use of space!

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#22 of 91 Old 04-24-2007, 06:24 PM

Kristin, I have two kids in there now. #3 will be joining them when he's old enough to leave our room.

The bunk beds were a gift from my mother to DS. DS loves them, but they are big and heavy. We've moved them from room to room twice already (I rearrange a lot based on needs), and we refuse to do so again!

DD just moved in there with him (they used to have separate rooms for different reasons but now they share a sleeping space), so we put her bed in there too. Eventually, all three will sleep/dress in there (we have a playroom in the basement) . . . until we move (which will not be to a much bigger house, but one with better space allocation).
#23 of 91 Old 04-26-2007, 03:25 PM

Here are some pictures of our bedroom. I really would like to change the paint color soon, any ideas?? The furniture was a gift from my parents when we got married, sometime I wish we could just sell it and have our bed on the floor!
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...B/101_0781.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...B/101_0782.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...B/101_0783.jpg
#24 of 91 Old 04-26-2007, 03:37 PM

CountrylivinmomtoB:

That is beautiful furniture, but pretty space consuming. Any chance you could squeeze your highgboy into your closet? I'll post a pic later of how I did that with ds's room.

The paint color might beneift from being a much light shade. Anything on the linen/beige scale would really lighten and expand the space. Adding some detail like a chair rail around the room and a darker shade on the bottom would add some interest so the room doesn't turn boring.

If selling the furniture IS an option, give it a shot. If all you had was a head board and your bed was on a rail, you'd have LOADS more space. With the money from selling you could buy a few more efficient peices to store clothes etc.

Okay, gotta run and feed my ever-starving kids!

I'll check back later and post some pics

~Kelsey
#25 of 91 Old 04-26-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lact-o-Mama View Post
CountrylivinmomtoB:

That is beautiful furniture, but pretty space consuming. Any chance you could squeeze your highgboy into your closet? I'll post a pic later of how I did that with ds's room.

The paint color might beneift from being a much light shade. Anything on the linen/beige scale would really lighten and expand the space. Adding some detail like a chair rail around the room and a darker shade on the bottom would add some interest so the room doesn't turn boring.

If selling the furniture IS an option, give it a shot. If all you had was a head board and your bed was on a rail, you'd have LOADS more space. With the money from selling you could buy a few more efficient peices to store clothes etc.

Okay, gotta run and feed my ever-starvIing kids!

I'll check back later and post some pics

~Kelsey

About the high dresser, no...it would not fit- well it WOULD, if our washer and dryer wasn't in there. That is smooshed into our closest and barely any room for our clothes. Someday when we get enough money, we'll add on a room for the washer and dryer, but for now, it's stuck in our closet :-)

As for selling the furniture, it's not really an option. My parents would never forgive me (I brought it up and well it just wasn't a good topic of conversation). It was expensive and I doubt we wouldn't even get close to what they paid and i'd never hear the end of it. They already think I'm crazy with all the stuff we've given away!

The chair rail is a great idea...but it's just not in the budget right now. So for now it just has to be paint. I'll have to check out some of the paint samples you said about.

This is DD's room. She has a chair rail and i love it. We have a chair rail in our den...I will have to post pictures of that later. I love chair rails!

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...B/101_0787.jpg
#26 of 91 Old 04-26-2007, 03:56 PM

on the furniture: could you move the nightstands to another room? They are as big as my living room furniture.

Or could you move the highboy to another room? I think because it overhangs the closet it looks bigger than it really is. maybe swap one of the nightstands for the highboy's location?

#27 of 91 Old 04-26-2007, 03:59 PM

Well, we used to have the room rearranged differently, so the bed was on an angle and the highboy was on the wall where the one nightstand is, and that nighstand was where the highboy was...but, I liked having the nighstand beside my bed just because i like to read and have water at night etc...

As for moving them to another room- that just isn't an option, there is nowhere to move them too. I wish there was!
#28 of 91 Old 04-26-2007, 04:00 PM

I'm wondering what's in the third corner we can't see in the pictures -- at the foot of the bed?

Can you put the bed on the wall with the dresser, move the dresser to where the foot of the bed is? I can't tell where everything is (especially the closets).

dang those are nice biiiiiig windows!

And I love dd's room. I might be copying for my own dd.

#29 of 91 Old 04-26-2007, 04:05 PM

Beside the dresser that has the mirror is the door- it's pretty much against the door. When you walk in the room, to your left is the closest doors, there are 2 doors, the highboy partially covers the one...there is not too much room between the closet doors and bed. We actually used to have the highboy at the end of our bed, like facing the bed (that was a different time), but it was kind of annoying being there!
#30 of 91 Old 04-26-2007, 04:21 PM

Here is the dining room: http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...4827219ad0.jpg

Well, that is where we eat all of our meals, since the kitchen has no room for a table.

Here is an older picture, different things on the kitchen counters and we had a rug under the dining room which we no longer have because the cats destroyed it ha ha, but you can see how they both "connect"

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...f20bc6c262.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...c8d8a6075c.jpg

Our house was bank owned when we found it and pretty much destroyed. I think it's come a long way.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page