Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kitchen aid stand mixer
coffee pot
microwave
rice cooker
food processor

I love my crock pot too, but if I could only have 5 those would have to be it.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracefulhome
You could make bread dough in the Kitchen Aid and then form the loaves to bake in the oven.
Good point! This is the only way I make bread now.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:55 PM

I'm assuming you don't mean the stove, oven, or refrigerator. So, besides that, this is what we have:

rice cooker (for cooking beans)
sandwich griddle/press thing
steamer
crockpot
blender
hand mixer (it's called a "multi-mix," it's also a food processor and immersion blender)
toaster oven

That's 7. We should probably get rid of the sandwich grill, since we are totally off bread, have been for 2 months, and love being that way. The only other one I might get rid of is the rice cooker since I can cook beans in the crockpot, but I do like that the rice cooker does it faster.

Why would you want to get rid of things if you use them? The small appliances almost always use less electricity than firing up your stove or oven.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:32 PM

I actually only have that many (not including the fridge and stove) -

blender and toaster oven, used daily

food processor, standing mixer, and waffle maker used weekly

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

Old 04-27-2007, 05:36 PM

Kitchen Aid
toaster
waffle maker
crock pot

and not on your list - hot air pop corn popper!
Old 04-27-2007, 05:39 PM

This is an interesting thread for me, as I've just moved into a place with a smaller kitchen, and so I'm facing some decision-making with regard to my appliances.

The appliances I use the most are my toaster oven, microwave, and stick blender. I use the toaster oven much more often than my regular oven. There are only two of us, so it's the perfect size.

My KA stand mixer is on my keep list, even though I only use it sporadically. I wanted one for so many years, and last year I finally got one with my tax refund. I want to be buried with it.

I gave away my rice cooker, because I didn't find it much of a labor-saver over cooking rice in a pot on the stove. Also, it didn't seem to do a good job at cooking brown rice. So, out it went.

On the table for me are the crock pot and the bread machine. From time to time, the bread machine sees a lot of use, but not as much since I got the stand mixer. Also, it is nonstick inside, and scratched up, so I've only been using it to mix dough, not to bake bread. I'm torn about this one.

I'm also torn about the crock pot. I love a whole chicken cooked in a crock pot, but I haven't used it in ages. I work all day, and I'm away too long during the day to cook a chicken. I just don't think about it on the weekend. For the most part, I use my Le Creuset dutch oven. But soon I'm going to get a bunch of freerange chickens, and then I'd probably use the crockpot. So I'm holding off on getting rid of it.

Mind you, I haven't unpacked, so I have no idea where I'm going to put things. If it's driving me nuts, I may 86 not only the bread machine and crockpot, but even more. It's frustrating, I'm so attached to my stuff, yet I'm so sick of shifting it around.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:01 PM

Kitchen Aid Mixer
Cuisinart Food Processor
Toaster
Waffle Maker
Coffee Maker
Old 04-27-2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieMC View Post
Personally I would get rid of the toaster.
I think it all depends on what you eat -- we eat toast all the time. My 8 year old goes in makes himself buttered whole wheat toast a few times a day for breakfast, and I often serve him toast with dinner because he doesn't like rice or potatoes.

For me a toaster would be the first thing I'd pick -- assuming of course you aren't including the fridge, stove, dishwasher, or disposal all of which would be pretty high on my list.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:51 AM

crock pot
george forman grill
blender
rice cooker/steamer
waffle maker

if DH was making the list he would get rid of the rice cooker/steamer and keep the deep fryer

The things we have that no one uses are a grill cheese/sandwhich maker (maybe gets used 2-3X a year), and a ice cream maker

Oh I forgot about my mixer. It doesn't get used much but it is a necessity for making cakes and things which I think will get used more when the girls start school with bakesales and b-days etc. So if I had to get rid of 1 more I would get rid of the rice cooker/steamer to keep the mixer. But I wouldn't get rid of the rice cooker to keep the deep fryer

I also forgot about the toaster. We use the toaster to toast frozen waffles, english muffins, and bagles so I guess that is pretty important to us. Now I'm not sure that I could only do 5. I guess I need 7. But I do have a couple things I could get rid of. And I did recently give away our smoothie maker. Really it was just a fancy blender and taking up space so I got rid of the smoothie maker and just make smoothies in the blender.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:06 AM

You know what appliance I'd get rid of if I could? The dishwasher. It's a big waste of space AFAIAC. But I'm in a rental, so it's not an option.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:51 AM

Ooooohhhh.....I forgot about the crock pot! So....what would I get rid of to keep the crock pot? Hmmmm....I'd love to say the waffle iron, but that's conditional on not keeping the coffee maker. So complicated.....

Shannon & Paul...married since 2000. Parents to Alexander Paul Martin - 30 October, 2003 Grace Elizabeth Maile - 12 June, 2009
Old 04-28-2007, 05:56 AM

I'll just pick from your list, bolded ones I'd keep.

Kitchen Aid Mixer
Cuisinart Food Processor
Hand Blender/aka Stick Blender
Yogurt maker
Vitamix Blender
Rice Cooker
Pasta Maker
Juicer
Toaster
Waffle Maker
Panini/Grill
Coffee Maker
Crock Pot
Electric Tea Kettle (our electric over takes 5 minutes longer to heat up)
Bread Maker

We use a crockpot, blender, hand blender, toaster and bread machine regularly. We also have a rice cooker but I rarely use it.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:41 PM

Kitchen Aid Mixer
Cuisinart Food Processor
Yogurt maker
Vitamix Blender
Rice Cooker
Pasta Maker
Juicer
Toaster (this one is close to a tie wtih the crock pot)
Waffle Maker
Panini/Grill
Coffee Maker
Crock Pot
Bread Maker

The five I bolded would be my picks, with the caveat that I'd have a hard time deciding between the crock pot and the toaster, because each of them could be accomplished with a good oven. I lived without a toaster for over a year before DH got cranky and went out and got one.

Just about everything else on that list could be accomplished with something else (waffles being the major exception), or dual-purposed (Alton brown makes yogurt with a heating pad, for example).

I've never had a problem making rice on the stove. I can do almost all the stuff I used to do with a blender with my food processor (admittedly, it can't crush ice or make a good smoothie, but then I didn't do that with my cheapo blender, either). I can panini with my cast iron griddle plus another cast iron pan put on top to press.

Is it cheating to say that with the right attachment my Kitchenaid could be a pasta maker too? LOL.

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

Old 04-28-2007, 08:32 PM

Does the coffee maker have to count? It's like the stove you have to have it. : )

I wouldn't want to do with out,
1. Coffee Maker
2. Kitchen Aid Mixer
3. Crock Pot
4. Toaster
5. Waffle Maker

I would be sad to see them go....
Juicer
Panini/Grill
Old 05-02-2007, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Well we have gone through so much stuff in our house in the last 2 weeks and our yard sale is in a week.

We've made so much other room that all of them are going to stay. We have shelves in the garage now open. If they are out of sight and not getting used often, they will go in next year's yard sale. For now, I get to keep them all

We also found my dehydrator and food saver in the process. However, they mostly get used over the harvesting season.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:01 PM

I don't think I have too many appliances.

Kitchen Aid
Blender
Toaster (Dualit, not a toaster oven)
Waffle maker
Cuisenart
Yogurt maker
Bread machine
Crock Pot
Immersion blender

I wished I used the waffle iron and yogurt maker more often. They seem to get lost in the shuffle. But I probably should cross the bread machine off my list. I actually offered it to a friend yesterday because it is just gathering dust. (In the basement even!)
Old 05-03-2007, 04:45 PM

i am in awe of how many people are choosing a rice cooker. i've never had one so i probably don't understand, but why not just cook rice on the stove?

we have a toaster, microwave, blender, hand-held mixer, food processor and coffee maker. that is it.

i'd love to trade in my mixer and food processor for a kitchenaid mixer but i really like not having lots of appliances...
Old 05-03-2007, 05:17 PM

Well, I'm not sure what YOU should keep....but my favs are:

Cuisinart convection/toaster oven (this thing really rocks...I use it a lot!)

Cuisinart toaster (I love this thing too, even though I probably could use the toaster oven that sits next to it.)

Cuisinart blender/food processor (it's the smaller combo)

Crock pot

Cuisinary full sized food processor (I keep this one in a cabinet...the rest on the counter.)

Those are actually all that I do use unless you count the microwave and my little Cuisinart hand mixer. I own a rice cooker that was given to me, but I've never used it, and it's stored in the basement. I cook my rice in a baking dish in the toaster oven. It's a wonderful recipe for brown rice that comes out perfect every time.

Edited to add: Oops...I do own a waffle maker....another basement stored item. I have a pantry in my basement and keep things I don't use too often in it.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Personally I would get rid of the toaster. You can use your oven to toast things.
I'd think that cost-wise, it costs a lot more to toast something in the oven than in a toaster.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 05-04-2007, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabain View Post
i am in awe of how many people are choosing a rice cooker. i've never had one so i probably don't understand, but why not just cook rice on the stove?
Rice cookers give a consistency to rice that I just don't get when I make it on the stove top. I feel like I'm getting rice from a Chinese restaurant. It also keeps it warm throughout the meal. In my rice cooker I can also steam veggies and do dim sum type foods. Mostly it is the consistency though.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:21 PM

Hard choice. Here's the 5 I would keep:

Cuisinart stand mixer
yogurt maker
steamer
counter convection oven
hot air corn popper
Old 05-06-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofjojo View Post
...I still haven't figured out good rice making in our altitude.
Kinda OT, but...
Do you soak it? White, brown, wild....soak it. At least 30 minutes. Then rinse in cold water three times, measure cold water to the first knuckle on your index finger above the soaked rice and cook. Never open the pot during cooking or even immediately following. Keep it covered at least 10-20 minutes after it's done.

HTH.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:57 AM

Microwave
Coffee Maker
Coffee Grinder
Steamer
Crock Pot
Old 05-07-2007, 01:15 AM

Coffee maker
Microwave
Toaster oven
Food processor
Crock pot

Honorable mention for my Kitchen Aid stand mixer. Though it's not an absolute necessity, it does make cake-baking so much easier. This lets me do cakes for all my family members' birthdays and other special occasions. (When I learned what bakeries in my neighborhood charge for cakes that are not much nicer than what I make, I vowed always to make my own.)

Beth
DS (7), DD (4)
Old 05-10-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Rice cookers give a consistency to rice that I just don't get when I make it on the stove top. I feel like I'm getting rice from a Chinese restaurant. It also keeps it warm throughout the meal. In my rice cooker I can also steam veggies and do dim sum type foods. Mostly it is the consistency though.
I'm Asian, so I have 3 rice cookers! It's practically a requirement to have at least one. Rice is done in 10 minutes, no burning, etc. Plus you can use it as a steamer.
I was just in costa rica, and we stayed at a friends house, and there were no appliances other than the rice cooker, blender and a coffee maker. And the only reason there was a coffee maker was that the owners are American. There was a family staying there temporarily and they had some wooden coffee drip thing with a filter that looked like a sock. They took the blender while we were visiting, and I would really have liked a blender for some tropical drinks.

So after thinking about all the stuff I have, and what I'd keep(for when we have a house there!):

1. Rice cooker
2. Toaster/Convection Oven - mine actually has a rotisserie too. In fact, I'm considering not having a conventional oven in the future house, and just have one electric induction burner and a couple of gas burners since electricity is unreliable.
3. Blender - tropical drinks!
4. breadmaker - I wasn't impressed with the bread while we were there. But it tasted better when we stuck it in the toaster oven at home.
5. crock pot - it's hot out, who wants to be standing around the kitchen all day!
Old 05-11-2007, 03:08 AM

Tough choice. Here is what I have (which isn't alot)

Electric Wok
Blender
pop corn popper
electric roaster(does double duty as a crock pot)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

Old 05-12-2007, 12:47 AM

Jennifer, Homeschooling mama to Julianna 1996,
Noah born at home 2002, Elijah waterborne at home 2004,: and Isabella: waterborne at home 2007
Old 05-12-2007, 08:56 PM

I am going to answer quickly because I think my toddler is waking up, but I will go back and read responses if there's time. Here are my choices, based on my cooking:

Kitchen Aid Mixer
Cuisinart Food Processor
Rice Cooker
Toaster
Coffee Maker
Crock Pot

Oh, god, that's more than five, isn't it? Well, okay, I chose the mixer because I have to bake gluten-free bread and it's almost impossible without a stand mixer. When I made wheat bread I never used a mixer, just kneaded by hand (I miss kneading!), so if I weren't gluten-free, I wouldn't choose that one. The food processor I use very often, several times a week at least, to make dips, whiz up beans for making bean & rice burgers, etc. If I weren't vegetarian I might not use it as often, I don't know. The immersion blender I use a few times a week, for soups, but that's done just as well in the food processor. It doesn't take up much room, though, so I think it could probably be kept even if it's not in the Top Five list.

The rice cooker I use almost every day, no way could I live without that! The toaster isn't used often, maybe once or twice a week for frozen waffles (hey! they're Van's organic wheat-free, stop judging! Oh, not you, the other person) or, if I've made enough bread, for toast. The coffee maker, god, that's not even an OPTION of getting rid of. Same with the crockpot, I use that at least three times a week, usually more like five.

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

Old 05-12-2007, 09:15 PM

This is a great thread and has made me decide to be very careful about what we will add to our kitchen stuff when we move to a bigger place this summer, and hopefully downsize in the future.

What I currently have:
Toaster oven
Induction burner
Electric kettle
(I use these too cook with at the moment as our studio does not have a full kitchen)

In storage:
Crockpot (gift from DH's family)
Popcorn maker (DH is very attached to this)
Cuisinart mini food processor (Again, a gift)

If I could choose i would have just these:

Vitamix (if I can find one at a good price)
Electric Kettle
Toaster Oven

If I had a really good regular oven I wouldn't need a toaster oven. It would be hard to get rid of the crockpot as DH's family keep asking us about it but I really don't feel the need for it now that I have a pressure cooker. I know that DH will not give up his popcorn maker, : !
Old 05-13-2007, 04:25 PM

We do fine without the following:
Quote:
Hi:
Kitchen Aid Mixer
Yogurt maker
Pasta Maker
Juicer
Waffle Maker
Panini/Grill
We have the following from you list:
Vitamix Blender
Rice Cooker
Coffee Maker
Toaster
Cuisinart Food Processor
Crock Pot
Bread Maker

With these 7 appliances (plus microwave) we don't really feel we are lacking, except for ocassionally wishing for a kitchen aid mixer then remembering how much space it would take up and letting the thought go.

I can't imagine giving up any of them, but if I had work my way down to 5 to I would probably lose the breadmaker and the coffee maker.

mom to a 7 year old lego fanatic and a 5 year old cross dresser

User Tag List