Garage sale best sellers? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 04-23-2007, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having a garage sale next weekend, and was wondering what some of your best sellers were in garage sales you've had. I'm hoping that if I read all of your big money makers, it'll encourage me to get rid of things I hadn't thought of. (Already almost 400 items in the garage sale pile! YAY!)

It seems like each sale is different for me. Is it the same everywhere? For exmple, I've had years where not one pair of shoes sold, but the next year every pair sold-and they were the same shoes as the last sale!

Each time, though, books sell well (especially romance novels-usually at 25 cents each or 5/$1.) Baby items usually sell really well, but last summer didn't for me. (I had a lot of winter clothes, maybe that's why.) One time I even sold a 4 year old 1/2 bottle of Stetson cologne. Easiest 50 cents I ever made!
#2 of 18 Old 04-23-2007, 01:48 PM

Baby and childrens clothing and toys
Baskets, vases and crafty items
Books

Otherwise, it's hit or miss. I'm always surprised at what people do and don't buy.
#3 of 18 Old 04-23-2007, 02:03 PM

Magazines did well for me.
#4 of 18 Old 04-23-2007, 02:54 PM

Little Tikes type plastic outdoor toys usually go quick!

Mom to ds 10/12 and dd 2/05 ribbonrainbow.gif

Blogging about living with xeroderma pigmentosum at www.pacificnights.org/ and about life in general at http://livingavibrantlife.blogspot.com/
#5 of 18 Old 04-23-2007, 04:13 PM

I've found that any kind of furniture does. Especially if it's inexpensive.
Rugs too.
And by the way, I should introduce myself.
I'm the garage sale queen.
I'm having one soon too!!!!
#6 of 18 Old 04-23-2007, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillkuster View Post
I've found that any kind of furniture does. Especially if it's inexpensive.
Rugs too.
I forgot that I have an area rug in the garage that we've never used. Thanks!
#7 of 18 Old 04-23-2007, 04:20 PM

I don't know how ethical this is, but now that I'm on the subject-and since I'm supposed to be cleaning, I might as well open this can of worms.
I live an hour away from the college town where I grew up. Every spring the college people move, and my sister and I spend almost an entire month dumpster diving. You don't actually have to get in the dumpsters lol. The curbs of our college town are PACKED to the max with computers, tables and chairs, lamps, couches, clothing etc...that people should have taken to Goodwill.
It is our favorite time of year.
I don't get to have a life per say, but come dumpster diving season, I'm out of here.
We load up our seven kids (between the two of us) and pack our vans full.
When having that many kids gets old, we each take one.
Then we have the most mega blow out garage sale you've ever seen and make hundreds of dollars every day.
I've also been saving up in my basement for two years now all the stuff that we as a family don't need anymore.
I can't wait!!!
I have my sister and her family stay with us for two weekends and we have a blast.
Since our girls are 13, we get almost all their school clothing this way too.
You'd never know because our girls are the best dressed in the school.
College girls throw out boots, jeans, sweaters, dresses....unbelivable stuff.
Our dd's think it's Christmas time. I should post some pics of the stuff we get.
My mom who is ultra right wing used be horrified. Now she comes too.
#8 of 18 Old 04-23-2007, 06:01 PM

dumpster diving sounds totally ethical to me -- saving that stuff from the landfill afterall.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#9 of 18 Old 04-23-2007, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillkuster View Post
I don't know how ethical this is, but now that I'm on the subject-and since I'm supposed to be cleaning, I might as well open this can of worms.
I live an hour away from the college town where I grew up. Every spring the college people move, and my sister and I spend almost an entire month dumpster diving. You don't actually have to get in the dumpsters lol. The curbs of our college town are PACKED to the max with computers, tables and chairs, lamps, couches, clothing etc...that people should have taken to Goodwill.
It is our favorite time of year.
I don't get to have a life per say, but come dumpster diving season, I'm out of here.
We load up our seven kids (between the two of us) and pack our vans full.
When having that many kids gets old, we each take one.
Then we have the most mega blow out garage sale you've ever seen and make hundreds of dollars every day.
I've also been saving up in my basement for two years now all the stuff that we as a family don't need anymore.
I can't wait!!!
I have my sister and her family stay with us for two weekends and we have a blast.
Since our girls are 13, we get almost all their school clothing this way too.
You'd never know because our girls are the best dressed in the school.
College girls throw out boots, jeans, sweaters, dresses....unbelivable stuff.
Our dd's think it's Christmas time. I should post some pics of the stuff we get.
My mom who is ultra right wing used be horrified. Now she comes too.
Just so you know...YOU ARE MY NEW HERO!!!!! I soooo wish I lived in a college town!

My best friend has rental houses. You should see the stuff people leave behind. She makes hunderds of dollars every year at our garage sale off of this stuff. Furniture, clothes, wedding dresses, dishes, you name it. (Especially the renters who disappear in the middle of the night.)
#10 of 18 Old 04-23-2007, 06:15 PM

All about the dumpster diving.

I had a friend who cleaned out dorms at the end of the year and for 5 years ALL of my clothes came from him. He knew my size and would grab things a size up or down and I'd get bags of things clothes, purses, shoes and coats.

I always take a ride around on bulk trash day and I now also go around to developments that have had large yard sales the night before their trash day. So many folks just pitch what didn't sell in the yard sale.

As far as good sellers books, kitchenware, old small appliances - espresso machine, coffeepots, etc. seem to do well for us.
#11 of 18 Old 04-23-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay'smom View Post
Just so you know...YOU ARE MY NEW HERO!!!!! I soooo wish I lived in a college town!
It's not all that great. Around here, they tend to drag their old couches into the street and set them on fire. :

Here's what I like to BUY at garage sales: furniture (like bookshelves, dressers, desks etc), cheap books, interesting art, lamps, bulletin boards, baby stuff, twinkle lights, nice baskets, board games, puzzles, interesting jewelry, craft supplies, material...

In my experience, appliances that work and furniture are big ticket items. You have to get there early if you want them. They sell *that* fast.
#12 of 18 Old 04-23-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Heather*** View Post
In my experience, appliances that work and furniture are big ticket items. You have to get there early if you want them. They sell *that* fast.
I have a funny early shopper story. When I was placing an ad for a garage sale I had, I had been noticing that a lot of people say "no early birds" or "early birds bring coffee", etc. In my ad, I said "early birds bring donuts". Wouldn't you know...30 minutes before our garage sale was to start, a couple showed up with a box of donuts. Naturally, I had to let them start looking early.
#13 of 18 Old 04-23-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmergal2005 View Post
I have a funny early shopper story. When I was placing an ad for a garage sale I had, I had been noticing that a lot of people say "no early birds" or "early birds bring coffee", etc. In my ad, I said "early birds bring donuts". Wouldn't you know...30 minutes before our garage sale was to start, a couple showed up with a box of donuts. Naturally, I had to let them start looking early.
That's really cute

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#14 of 18 Old 04-23-2007, 08:13 PM

We're having a yard sale in a few weeks and I'm so excited. DH and I have a blast.. his Dad really enjoys helping, too, and is awesome at pricing things and arranging everything. He's a pro
Last time we made over $300!

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#15 of 18 Old 04-23-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2babybeans View Post
That's really cute
I never thought anyone would take it seriously! I mean, I don't...I just figure they don't want anyone showing up early.
#16 of 18 Old 04-23-2007, 08:18 PM

Furniture and working electronics, like TV's and such.
#17 of 18 Old 04-24-2007, 12:51 AM

furniture and rugs have been our best sellers.

also women's clothing.

i haven't had any garage sales since the baby arrived, but from what i can tell at our community garage sales, kids stuff goes well.

also, teddy bears and stuffed animals are big hits!
#18 of 18 Old 04-24-2007, 02:32 PM

Jillkuster I can totally relate. In our town it is Spring Cleanup week. You can put out anything to be taken away and go to the dump for free. People put out lots of great stuff and often label it as working. I have an electroluxe vacuum (and found one for a friend), Crockpot I use for dyeing, wheelbarrows, trellis, fencing, lumber. bird feeders, furniture, lawn furniture, tools and even antiques I have found. I have sold a number of great things I have found like an old metal enameled flour sign with bullet holes in it. The young woman I work with loves to find electronics and last year also found a beautiful dressing table. The town is very busy during spring cleanup because every day is a different neighbourhood and lots and lots of people go out to scavenge. I also know a man who lives in a tent and makes his living recycling metal and he makes a great haul during this time. I have a van this year so I won't have to leave some of the things I have had to in the past like a rowboat and a fruit picking ladder. Spring cleanup is the first week of May every year so it is coming up!!!

I am in decluttering mode though so the last few years I go out with the idea of finding specific things and usually find what I need. Bike parts and wheels for a wagon are on my list this year.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page