Moving and decluttering. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-01-2007, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a spinoff of the moving support thread. Share you secrets, what you're doing to get rid of stuff not going to your next home!

As Maggie outgrows stuff I am getting a huge bag going to donate this week or next. Also, we have a bag going in our room to add to.

Now your turn...

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 05-01-2007, 10:28 PM

We closed on our house in April and won't have to move out til June, so about two months. I don't want to pack up everything too early, so what I've done is to go through certain cabinets, dressers, closets, etc that I'm not ready to "pack" just yet, and just get rid of stuff. I figure that way, when it's really time to pack and move, I can just throw everything into boxes and not look through it. I'll let you know in June if this strategy worked or not.

Oh, and once I pack up junk I don't need, it gets put by the front door til I go out to the car, then it gets put in the car, where it sits til I find myself driving past someplace that takes that type of donation. The key is to get it out of the house then out of the car asap. Otherwise, my dh finds the bag in the car and brings it inside to be helpful. :
#3 of 14 Old 05-02-2007, 12:16 AM

umm we moved last weekend. We failed to declutter before we left the old place so we moved a lot of stuff we don't need.

craigslist and/or Freecyclers came today to get:
boxspring that won't go up the steps
old lawnmower
boxes we're done with
little tikes basketball hoop

I'm bringing a microwave to work for a student of mine.

Someone is coming tomorrow to pick up an old computer (dh has to dump the hard drive first).

We have a garage sale box in every room. Yay because my dh is a total pack rat.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#4 of 14 Old 05-03-2007, 12:20 PM

i'll be watching this

bought some storage containers
gave away some stuff
threw out some stuff
trying not to keep more food in the freezer/pantry than we can eat
dh went through his clothes!!!
#5 of 14 Old 05-03-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsmom View Post
The key is to get it out of the house then out of the car asap. Otherwise, my dh finds the bag in the car and brings it inside to be helpful. :

LOL. I've been struggling with this as well. We just moved in and I've been unpacking and sorting out the excess stuff. I've been loading up boxes to donate to an organization collecting books and he's been shuffling them all off to the basement.

#6 of 14 Old 05-03-2007, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
:

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#7 of 14 Old 05-03-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
LOL. I've been struggling with this as well. We just moved in and I've been unpacking and sorting out the excess stuff. I've been loading up boxes to donate to an organization collecting books and he's been shuffling them all off to the basement.
That is really funny.
#8 of 14 Old 05-03-2007, 05:23 PM

I have a great DH! Okay what does that have to do with this? DH has gone through boxes of our stuff that are in the garage. DH knows I'm too emotionally attached to things but if I don't see them I probably won't miss them.

DH has gone through boxes that we have not opened since being in this house (now 18 months). We concluded if we have not used them here, we won't really need them in our next house. DH, however, is making sure there is nothing there we'd regret getting rid of, i.e. pictures and a few travel finds.

We are having a HUGE yard sale in a week and getting rid of the equivalent of a one car garage. We have downsized 3 times in 4 years and needed to get rid of a lot of things.

A big part of our process is deciding how often we use things, if we downsize again how functional will something be in a new place - i.e. storage capacity, etc, and also is it something we'd end up replacing in a short amount of time. Also, is it something that gives us peace or causes us stress? i.e. used to have a piece of furniture that constantly needed cleaning due to color - we got rid of it and now have furniture that is easy to keep clean.
#9 of 14 Old 05-03-2007, 10:15 PM

Before we put our house on the market I went through and got rid of all the obviouse junk... then I packed up (in carefully sorted and labeled boxes) all the stuff that I didn't think we needed to have to live on a daily basis.

When we moved I only brought the stuff I hadn't packed up while we were showing the house.... the other stuff (most of it) we realized we were living just fine without. I will be gitting rid of a lot of it as we get to unpacking those boxes. So far, we've lived 3 months without them, and for the most part are not missing any of it.

I figure I got rid of/donated/sold about 25% or our stuff, boxed another 25% and moved into the new house with only the remaining 50%. Out of the boxed stuff we might keep what 10% of that 25% (you do the math! hee hee). Anyway. We don't need what we thought we needed. And it feels GREAT!!!! plus its made room in our lives for a few extra things that we really did want/need that we didn't feel like we could justify.
#10 of 14 Old 05-03-2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetc View Post
I figure I got rid of/donated/sold about 25% or our stuff, boxed another 25% and moved into the new house with only the remaining 50%. Out of the boxed stuff we might keep what 10% of that 25% (you do the math! hee hee). Anyway. We don't need what we thought we needed. And it feels GREAT!!!! plus its made room in our lives for a few extra things that we really did want/need that we didn't feel like we could justify.

My realtor calls it the 3-part purge:
clean up the house
pack the rest of the stuff
unpack

purge at each step of the way.

#11 of 14 Old 05-03-2007, 10:32 PM

As we unpacked I tried to be good and put stuff we don't use anymore in a yard sale pile. We're having a huge community yard sale next week and I plan on going through the house with the rule in mind that if we haven't touched it in year it's up for sale. I also want to attempt to implement the rule that for everything that enters the house something else has to leave. Of course, I've never been great with rules so we'll see how it goes.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#12 of 14 Old 05-04-2007, 02:11 PM

We're trying to get rid of the excess stuff before we move in a month or two. This weekend, we'll be putting a lot of stuff up on craigslist. Our second couch, the several TV's that we don't even use, etc. We may have a garage sale. I don't know about that, though. I hate the amount of work they are. We'll see. I have 5 (oops, 6 now) boxes of high quality baby clothes that I'd like to take to a consignment shop.

Regardless of where the stuff actually goes, it won't be coming with us. If we can't sell it, we'll be calling up a charity that we use to come pick it up.

Right now, I'm in the process of minimizing the "stuff" in each room. Two sheet sets per bed, one blanket per bed, only the clothing that FITS and that we USE. All of the dishes/appliances we don't use have been put in boxes. All of the extra electronics (like our two old, abandoned computers) will be recycled. Oh, we have 10 boxes of books that I'm hoping to put up on amazon.com (just waiting to see if I can "borrow" a credit card number from somebody, as we got rid of all of our cards.)

Lots of fun! My FIL has told me that we'll "never" be able to fit our stuff in one truck. He predicts we'll be making 3-4 trips. So I"m on a mission to prove him wrong.
#13 of 14 Old 05-04-2007, 04:35 PM

I just moved a little less than two weeks ago. I'd thought I'd been so great at decluttering, but it wasn't enough! I now know I need to be really ruthless. My new place is a little smaller, but the main thing is I have no garage. I'm not willing to give up my bikes, and I'm determined to figure out secure bike storage...but everything else need a thorough weeding. Storing things that I don't want to deal with right now is just not an option for me.

I like the idea of putting things away in boxes when I'm not sure if I really want to get rid of them, and if I haven't needed/wanted them for 3 months, get rid of them.

There's one thing I have an emotional attachment to that I've finally agreed to sell. It's a cargo trailer for a bike. They don't make them anymore, and it was something I'd wanted for a long time before going through considerable trouble to get, and I built it myself. But I haven't used it since before my son was born, and it's not compatible with a kid trailer or seat. So someone on a bike BBS offered me $100 for it, and I said I'd consider $125, and he still wants it. It'll hurt to get rid of it...it really is very cool...but it'll also be cool to know it's actually being used.

It really is an emotional process for me.
#14 of 14 Old 05-06-2007, 12:10 AM

We move in 20 days and are having a moving sale this weekend. So far we have made about $250

We got rid of some outdoor toys, tv, dvd player, workbench and tons of nicknacks. The kids clothes were not moving at all, which I thought was really strange. So there was a lady looking though the clothes and I told her I would charge $1.00 a bag (grocery size) just to get rid of them! That's a trick I learned from my Mom, the master of yard sales.

A man asked about a bookshelf and I told him I would sell the one in my bedroom! He came in our room and said it would work, gave me more money than I was asking, probably b/c I had to take all the books off.

Whatever is leftover, I will take to Chidlren's Orchard (consignment) and offer to my local freecycle. Whatever they don't want, AMVETS will pick up.

I just want this stuff out of here!!

As I was getting ready for the sale, I would clean out one closet or cupboard at a time. Gradually, I went through our whole 900 sqft house + 2 sheds! I was stressing out thinking we don't have enough stuff for a sale, but I have been "stockpiling" for a while. I knew we were going to move and wanted to get a little money for this stuff.

Hopefully we have a good day tomorrow!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page