MAY Decluttering Challenge (gearing up for summer!) - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 114 Old 05-24-2007, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I dont see any reason to keep them. They werent my favorite thing to play with or really hold any sentimental value to me personally. Most of them were gifts from family members and I can remember them without the gift kwim Its been beaten into my head that I need to keep barbie's and cabbage patch dolls.: I have no desire to keep them personally other than I dont really want the argument if she figures out I got rid of them. I think I'll just take them to her house. She can do what she wants with them.
#92 of 114 Old 05-24-2007, 06:01 PM

Yeah, I would probably bring them back to my mom & tell her they aren't special to me, so if they are special to here she can keep them. Well I would say it nicer than that, but YKWIM. I hate when other people try to tell me what I need to keep, what to do with my stuff, etc. My mom asked for almost 4 years if she could buy clothes for dd/what she needed, etc. I always said we had enough. Finally, dd got to a point where she really did need dresses, so I told mom what type of dress she liked & if she would like to get her one, that would be wonderful. She bought her one & sent it for Easter. Great! Well, she was visiting a couple weeks ago, helping fold laundry. She pulls that dress out & starts complaining because it has a couple small spots on it. I shouldn't have let dd where THAT dress when she was doing whatever it was that made spots on it. Blah blah blah. Aargh! I got so ticked off!

Sorry : just had to get that off my chest.

In other news, I threw away a nasty cup, a piece of some sort of tile that was in my junk drawer, some random business cards from the same drawer. Donated 13 things to the library, and dropped off another bag of kids clothes at the donation center.
#93 of 114 Old 05-24-2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraNicole View Post
umm...i've done just about EVERYTHING except for stuff on my list...i can't really figure out if this is a good or bad thing!

Me too. :

Nothing on my list is done, but I cleared out my box of candles and pared way down. Now I'm burning them like crazy to get them out of here. All our extraneous plastic food storage is gone, only a couple good containers and the glass storage remains. At least I'm getting something done, right?
#94 of 114 Old 05-25-2007, 12:14 AM

I've actually lost count in the past few days - I think that's a good thing! I took a van load full of stuff to a friend's house for an LLL garage sale. I have another garbage bag full to take her. I put some old carpet that's been hanging out in a basement corner out for trash pickup yesterday. It's gotten weird because I'll lay down in bed and think of something that I have that I should get rid of! I really need a life!
#95 of 114 Old 05-25-2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneKnight View Post
I threw out a bag of stuff from my "junk box." I put one decorative pillow in the donate pile, tossed the ugly one, and am giving away my neti pot on the TP.
Pretty sure we are moving next month, so the more I can get decluttered - the better!
I hit the junk drawer too, and threw out a bit, but I had to laugh when I saw you gave away your neti pot, I had to get rid of mine, because I will NEVER use it, too strange

Still need to go through extra cosmetics in my clear shoe box in bathroom. Also need to do a lot of paper decluttering in my home and work offices. And to try on everything in my closet, I'm just putting away suits for Fall and Winter now, in the event that they will fit then, but I still have the baby weight to lose. . . .SIGH

My closet looks pretty good, and I only have 2 dresser drawers full of clothes, one for underwear and 1 for work and play clothes. I share a sock drawer with my husband. So I don't have a lot of stuff, but I also don't know what fits.

The big plan is to downsize from an large office sized filing cabinet, to a smaller one, creating room for a new home office desk, I hope to accomplish this before September, when DH goes on tour. The other major plan is to cull out items that don't fit, and put a decent Spring/Summer/Fall wardrobe together, until older items fit, or until I'm pregnant
#96 of 114 Old 05-25-2007, 05:22 PM

I've been working at a modified deep clean room by room since Tuesday & so far have done the foyer, living room, back porch (enclosed & a room but one step down from the kitchen) & bathroom. Today am working on the kitchen. Have been filling a bag for the donation bin since yesterday--went & dropped two off on Wednesday already--& am continuing with that today. Also threw out two raggedy pair of underwear in the laundry today so I'd quit forgetting they were holey & putting them back in the drawer. Also have been pitching chipped or cracked dishes as they show up too, & sorting out books to take to Half Price Books & donate to the library sale. I'm going to go back & work on the kitchen with emphasis on the table & bookcase behind it where there is a lot of stuff I use to wrap books sold on Amazon & ebay. Also want to do something to make the top of the fridge look better, what's up there now isn't especially attractive, clean the top of the stove & fridge interior. Both of those are huge chores so guess I'd better go get busy.
#97 of 114 Old 05-25-2007, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know what my total is right now. We had to go buck-wild before the realtors came over a few days ago and then again yesterday because he was coming back today to take pictures.
Can I brag for a sec? My place looks awesome. It really does I do have a few boxes of random 'stuff' that I had to just throw in there, so I still have a bit of decluttering to do, but the volume of things we either threw out or freecycled or put into our yardsale box (which we're having tomorrow) was just incredible! It feels awesome!

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#98 of 114 Old 05-26-2007, 02:18 AM

Just adding to my total!

I freecycled a bunch of stuff the past couple of days...cat toy, salad bowl, 2 candle holders, bread dish, 2 tablecloths, and 2 prs of dress pants!

49/80

I've started the process of getting rid of the old paint cans that were here when we bought the house. I did some local research and had no idea that latex paint is just supposed to be dried out (no liquids) and then thrown away. It is the oil based that is considered hazardous. I never knew that! And these things are really gross and rusty inside the cans. I will be so happy to get rid of these cans!

*formerly apecaut*, Mom to A, Calliope (stillborn 40 weeks 6/22/07), A and O
#99 of 114 Old 05-26-2007, 11:18 AM

I am late joining in for May- I am anxious for June! But for now, I am starting to collect some stuff for a yard sale in late June. Then we are having a company that takes donations come and pick up whatever doesn't sell... I have 3 big boxes of stuff for the yard sale without even trying. It is a good feeling....

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#100 of 114 Old 05-26-2007, 03:21 PM

I'm already pretty well pared down, but I'm going to be getting rid of six books in the next several weeks. A wonderful family with five girls I'm close to has a triple graduation party in several weeks for their three oldest - college, high school, and grammar school (8th grade). I wanted to give them something nice, but not spend a bundle. I went through my books and have found great ones to give them. The oldest is getting The Total Money Makeover (she has college debt), and different titles for the others.

Another few are going to a friend.

lady.gif
#101 of 114 Old 05-26-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2girlz View Post
I took 29 items to OUAC yesterday.

70/1000
threw out 150 items and sold 300+ at my 2 day garage sale so far.

520/1000.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#102 of 114 Old 05-27-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2babybeans View Post
Can I brag for a sec? My place looks awesome. It really does
Good for you! Woo hoo. It's a good feeling. I, too, am beginning to feel not quite so buried. I'm not to the awesome point, but I'm getting there. I'm sort of at the obsessive point right now!:

I went through our "papers to keep" box - you know, legal papers, manuals, etc. I shredded tax receipts from over 7 years ago, got rid of manuals for things we no longer own and a few for things I'll never use the manual for (I had one for my boom box - I mean, come on! ), got rid of a game and a scraper thingy I'll never use (I don't even think it was ours - I think it came with the house). I also got rid of a box of stuff, a bag of stuff, three gowns and two slips for the gowns. Oh yea, I decided that the coins I was trying to save for my kiddos (four sets of the "state quarters") were just taking up room and I hadn't saved any in a while anyway. So we collected $43 in quarters and tossed the organizers!
#103 of 114 Old 05-29-2007, 06:36 PM

I dropped off a small bag of items at the Salvation Army today. Yippee! So gone are 4 of my dh's dress shirts he never wears, 4 cake pans that always overflow on me (not sure if it is me or the pans, probably me: ), a pair of shoes dh has never worn, and a countryish decoration thing that I hate. I have also rid my house of exactly one, ratty stuffed animal that was taking up space.

60/90

I also FINALLY listed this old Apple IIGS system on ebay that I have been wanting to get rid of forever! Technically it isn't gone so I can't list it but I feel so relieved that it is finally done. A huge weight off my shoulders!

#104 of 114 Old 05-29-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraNicole View Post
umm...i've done just about EVERYTHING except for stuff on my list...i can't really figure out if this is a good or bad thing!

i did our utility room today and the carport yesterday...it was on my list go me!
#105 of 114 Old 05-30-2007, 10:24 AM

I'm planning on spending a couple days in each room getting rid of stuff we don't use and in the end selling it at a yard sale. I'll spend time on the basement and attic on weekends when DH can watch DS. We'll see what happens! I go back and forth between purging and being a pack rat!
#106 of 114 Old 05-30-2007, 03:02 PM

~Get our closet organized & GET RID OF the clothes we keep hanging on to for when we "Lose 5-10 pounds." We have been saying that for years now, and it's time to let go!! -- Done!!

~Get our guest room organized, stuff given away that we don't need anymore, and set up as my sewing/crafts/ironing area. - almost done - it's just about cleared out, and then next paycheck I will buy a table to set up my sewing area.

~Figure out the laundry room. It's an odd set-up, but we have been here 2+ years now, so it's time for me to figure that room out and get it organized. -- done! I just have to make a curtain to cover the shelves.

~The Big Project - The GARAGE. We have great shelving/cabinets out there, but they are just full of stuff that we stuck there when we moved in. I need to go through all of that, save what we need and get rid of what we don't, and get it organized so it's functional and makes more sense. -- not done. Not even started.. this will be June's big project.

~Big Project #2 - DH's game room. He promised me that Memorial Day Weekend, we can organize & de-clutter in there. We are finally going through the boxes he stuck in the closet when we moved in here. TWO YEARS ago. I'm very excited to get my hands on his stuff. That has been non-Kiki territory since we moved here. I'm not allowed to clean in there or organize. So I'm very much looking forward to the end of the month. -- yaaay! We got this super-organized last weekend. Now all we have to do is go through the boxes in his closet and get the closet organized. That will also be bumped to June.

~~

This has been so satisfying! I have learned, though, that I can only do one big project a month with a baby around. Not as easy as it used to be!
#107 of 114 Old 05-30-2007, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2girlz View Post
threw out 150 items and sold 300+ at my 2 day garage sale so far.

520/1000.
25 items sold

545/1000

I'm having another garage sale tomorrow so my total should go up a little bit.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#108 of 114 Old 05-30-2007, 11:32 PM

I gave a van load full of stuff to my friend for a charity garage sale yesterday, and I already have another bagful plus some loose items in the van and a bag full in the house and two big items on the porch! I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel!!!
#109 of 114 Old 05-31-2007, 05:43 PM

Technically they aren't gone, but I have bids on all my ebay auctions so I am going to count them. They include a computer system (monitor, computer, 2 separate drives, keyboard, mouse), 7 computer books and about 20 computer games. Yay! I am so happy they are selling

Also got rid of a really nasty looking pizza stone that hasn't been used in about 3 yrs.

94/80

#110 of 114 Old 05-31-2007, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Well, I haven't made any progress since I posted a few weeks ago. So, here I am on the last day of May, with my total still at 158/250. However, my plan for tonight is to go through my bathroom cabinets, the kitchen cubboards with food in them, and the fridge, so hopefully I'll have a little more to add to my total by the end of the night. Spoiled food counts, right?

I'm really not beating myself up over this though. We've been incredibly busy, and I got knocked down with a nasty cold on Sunday (it's still lingering), and I made a really good effort at the beginning of the month. Even more exciting is that I get to be a full time SAHM again in the middle of June (I'm a WOHM right now), so I'll get to do lots more in July!

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#111 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 12:11 AM

I got rid of an old, ugly, falling apart love seat that I hated! I went through my piano bench and decluttered and organized. I found some very old sheet music (early part of the century) that I had forgotten that I had! I knew I couldn't keep it in the bench because it was clutter there, so I bought a poster frame and put them in it and hung it on the wall! It's perfect because I recently redecorated the room and had not finished picking out things for the bare walls and the room most definitely has a music theme! I am very jazzed. I have another big bag of stuff for the garage sale. My bedroom is completely decluttered except for dh's dresser. I'm going to ask him to go through it tomorrow. My house is actually beginning to feel calm and serene. I bought an accordian file and started going through the kitchen "junk" drawer. I was able to file things that needed a place and trash some other stuff. I think our waste management workers are starting to hate me.
#112 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Jean View Post
Well, I haven't made any progress since I posted a few weeks ago. So, here I am on the last day of May, with my total still at 158/250. However, my plan for tonight is to go through my bathroom cabinets, the kitchen cubboards with food in them, and the fridge, so hopefully I'll have a little more to add to my total by the end of the night. Spoiled food counts, right?

I'm really not beating myself up over this though. We've been incredibly busy, and I got knocked down with a nasty cold on Sunday (it's still lingering), and I made a really good effort at the beginning of the month. Even more exciting is that I get to be a full time SAHM again in the middle of June (I'm a WOHM right now), so I'll get to do lots more in July!
I tossed 120 reallllllllllllllllllly oooooooooooooold things from under the bathroom sink, which means I made my goal!!!

278/250

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#113 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Jean View Post
I tossed 120 reallllllllllllllllllly oooooooooooooold things from under the bathroom sink, which means I made my goal!!!

278/250
DH hit the fridge for me, and dumped 20 things. Yikes! We're done for the night, so my grand total for May is 298/250. Not too shabby at all!

#114 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 08:55 PM

Good job everyone! I did a major decluttering before DS was born and I've tried really hard to not let a bunch of junk come into our home since then.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page