MAY Decluttering Challenge (gearing up for summer!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-01-2007, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to the MAY decluttering challenge!!
If you participated in last month's challenge, feel free to share your accomplishments & what you'd like to do differently this month, if anything.
Post your goal- whether it is number of items gone, number of bags, rooms, whatever works for you

Are there items that haven't been used in a long time, are just taking up too much space, or have been outgrown? Time to get those outta there!
Be sure to post your progress as you work towards your goal- it's inspiring to see how far you've come in your effort towards a more simplified home!

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2007, 05:54 PM

I'm in! We are having a garage sale in a few weeks so I'm hoping to have a huge amount of things gone. Last month I just made my goal of 500. I hit 501 last night. I'm going to shoot for 1000 for May.

0/1000

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
Old 05-01-2007, 07:20 PM

I'm in.

Last month my goal was to take 10 bags to Goodwill, and I ended up with 16 plus some loose stuff.

This month I want to get the back porch totally decluttered. That's where all my gardening stuff is, so it's got a lot of junk.

Mostly sane mother to twins.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:03 PM

I'm doing pretty well with the decluttering, although I've never participated in the challenge here.

My goals for May are the following:

1. go through fabric: sell some, donate most, make the rest into family cloth/rags

2. list all saleable summer clothing I've had sitting around; separate the rest into seasons to get it OUT in the next 6 months or so

3. get rid of junk holder aka the crib and glider/ottoman

4. finish decluttering and organizing guest room closet
Old 05-01-2007, 10:58 PM

Mememe! I WILL get this box of maternity clothes out of my house this month!

- I will get these books donated to the GW book store this month!

- I will do something with these old broken computers (3) this month!

- I will go through the boxes in the hallway upstairs this month!
Old 05-01-2007, 11:50 PM

My Goal is in the Kitchen and Livingroom. I now have new furniture which means new decor...but its so busy/messy/crowded in here that I need to get it decluttered and straight and beautiful, which in turn I believe will make me keep it up!
SOOOOO

My Goal: To Declutter and Organize and create a BEAUTIFUL space of my Kitchen and Livingroom. I will take before pictures and post them into an edit later!!!

Loving Mother to our adoption miracle, Riana :, and our angel baby, Xavier. Trying for baby. Wife to my Hero! BLOG LINK IN PROFILE
Old 05-02-2007, 02:01 AM

We are moving back into our house at the end of the month after a long remodeling project. I got rid of a ton of stuff at the house where we are living last month, but I would love to get rid of an additional 300 items this month- less to move! So, my goal is 300 items. I should be off to a good start tomorrow, when I am going to donate several bags of items to my kids' preschool for a rummage sale.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:30 AM

May is off to a good start for me. I don't have a ton of things, because i am always cycling things out of my home. If it doesn't have a home(place) and we dont have a need for it, out it goes. Well i my biggest problem and always has been is my dds clothing. Being that my dds are close in age, and one has been in the same size clothing for a long time, i accumulate alot of clothing. They didn't have a ton of nice clothes, but more a ton of play clothes. I am tired of having them ransack their drawers trying to find something so..I got rid of about 75% of their clothing. I kept 4 pair of pjs, 4 shirt and 4 shorts each..in playclothes. So their drawers are now organized and pretty empty. Their nice clothes i keep hung together as outfits in their closets..but i keep them on the high bar because they like to change clothes otherwise. Their leotards(they have way too many) for gymnastics were folded on a shelf in their closet..now they are all hung with matching scrunchies in their closet. Their shoes are all in a door shoe bag that they call cubbies. Their winter clothes that will fit next year are nicely tucked away in two long storage containers under their bed.

They also had so many little blankets that they have accumulated. I allowed them to keep a heavy winter and a lightweight summer blanket each.

I got about 3 bags full and it was donated to the military families free-store.

On the way to the free-store the girls spotted some items that they liked. For example my 5 year old said hey i like that jacket. I said you don't need 5 jackets, you need 1. Some other kids may NEED a jacket and here you have 5. She said yea its nice to share, maybe some girl will get it and really like it like i do.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:24 AM

i got my recycle magazines together and took them out to the car

i tossed afew things in my good will box.

not a big start but a start none the less.

my goal for this month is to finish going through the big tote of small toys (almost 2/3 finished last month)

go through all my "project cloth"

keep on in the office area.

replace the box table in the computer room ( i've been saying that for months now)

do something about the trash area in the kitchen.

throw away the 2 yucky pillows/ behind dh's back if necessary
Old 05-02-2007, 11:18 AM

I'll sign up for May!

Let's see. Where do I start?

> Declutter downstairs bookshelf;
> Declutter & reorganize/decorate mantle and top of tv cabinet;
> DH to re-organize and re-shelve his CDs;
> Purge toys;
> Purge/re-organize kids' clothes.

Numerically, I'm sure this will be at least 250 items. Since this is my first challenge, I'll set the bar low and say 200.

Can I count all the clothes in the way-back of the car? I purged them last week but still haven't taken them to Goodwill. (Joke! -- Well, the including them part, not the donating part... : )

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:28 PM

My neighbor has started an on-line auction business (she does the e-bay for you for a commision). I'm going to get rid of some stuff. I'll see if DH will let go of anything:

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
Old 05-02-2007, 03:44 PM

I'd like to join. We're doing a small renovation project this spring, so I'd like to clean out some things. My goals for May are:
1) to stop dragging my feet and take control of the CD collection
2) to get rid of : let's say 200 things
Old 05-02-2007, 04:52 PM

Yay!

I did several challenges at the end of the year, but then gave it up for pregnancy and childbirth. Sadly, despite my 2006 tally being somewhere around 2000 - it looks like I haven't done much. (Dh is a serious packrat/hoarder.) So... onward and upward! My goal is 500.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:07 PM

I am in! My goal is to finish unpacking, and then sort out the stuff for the yard sale. I have a bunch of Gift bags to give to the owner of the natural parenting shop near hear, she recycles then as shopping bags

I'm going to shot for 300 items by the end of the month.

I'm estimating 20 bags, and they are already in the car (I'm going there Tuesday, so I'm waiting to drop them off)

20/300

jeneca mommy to kamille, 6 lexi, 4
#3 due 2/28/12

Old 05-02-2007, 11:46 PM

I'm on for a garage sale the first weekend in june. so....
I'll continue to go through my house as I unpack and set things up. I'm shooting for 3 van-loads full of stuff for the garage sale + random freecycle items that I think won't sell.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 05-03-2007, 01:21 AM

I took a bag of infant sized prefolds to a friend who is having a baby!
Old 05-03-2007, 12:43 PM

bye bye to the old beast of a computer that we've had sitting around for 4 years.

shhhh. Don't tell.
I threw out one of my hubby's holey t shirts. As in undershirts, not as in shirts he'll wear.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 05-03-2007, 01:02 PM

i'm in for the....
:storeroom under our carport : (it's bad)

:bedroom closet dh has trashed it

:linen closet (was grouped by color until dh trashed it last week)

:declutter my hard drive
Old 05-03-2007, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I'm in for 250! My main goals are to tackle the following:

-Continue to tackle the paper monster that I've been working on from the Office Challenge.

-The hall closet needs to be majorly decluttered.

-We're trying to get rid of our old entertainment center that we've been storing in our bedroom for the last two years...it's become a major crap collector. So, I need to not only get rid of the entertainment center, but I also need to weed out the junk on top of it.

Here we go!

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2girlz View Post
I'm in! We are having a garage sale in a few weeks so I'm hoping to have a huge amount of things gone. Last month I just made my goal of 500. I hit 501 last night. I'm going to shoot for 1000 for May.

0/1000
I cleaned out my girls' closet today. 41 items trashed!

41/1000

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
Old 05-03-2007, 08:06 PM

Oh, I'm in. I have been lurking in this forum for awhile now, so I might as well join in.

Right now our house is a DISASTER because I started a bunch of organizing/de-cluttering projects at once.

Here are my goals for May: (I don't really have goals for how many bags/boxes to get out of the door, since I just did some of that...)

~Get our closet organized & GET RID OF the clothes we keep hanging on to for when we "Lose 5-10 pounds." We have been saying that for years now, and it's time to let go!!

~Get our guest room organized, stuff given away that we don't need anymore, and set up as my sewing/crafts/ironing area.

~Figure out the laundry room. It's an odd set-up, but we have been here 2+ years now, so it's time for me to figure that room out and get it organized.

~The Big Project - The GARAGE. We have great shelving/cabinets out there, but they are just full of stuff that we stuck there when we moved in. I need to go through all of that, save what we need and get rid of what we don't, and get it organized so it's functional and makes more sense.

~Big Project #2 - DH's game room. He promised me that Memorial Day Weekend, we can organize & de-clutter in there. We are finally going through the boxes he stuck in the closet when we moved in here. TWO YEARS ago. I'm very excited to get my hands on his stuff. That has been non-Kiki territory since we moved here. I'm not allowed to clean in there or organize. So I'm very much looking forward to the end of the month.

Whew! There are other small ones -- the nursery, for example, is constantly under construction w/ regards to organization, but I got that set up pretty well yesterday. So, we should be good there until at least June.

I got rid of a bag and two boxes of stuff for the Amvets on 4/30, so that was a good start to the month! We also had a garage sale on 4/28 that got rid of some good clutter and earned us $60.

Here's to a great de-cluttering and organizing month of May!
Old 05-03-2007, 11:19 PM

I'm in! The picking a space to declutter worked well for me last month so I will do it again this month. My goals:
-hall closet cleaned out and organized
-seasonal decorations collected from their various hiding places and organized/put away.
-100 items gotten rid of
Old 05-04-2007, 12:14 AM

1 big thing trashed
1 bag of trash
1 bag of giveaway

Oh, and my goal for May is to do a little EVERY DAY! I almost made it last month, and I got rid of a butt load of crap and giveaway.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:25 AM

I'm in for 300. I've been making a drop at the local consignment shop at least once a week. I'd love to post and be able to see my decluttering as a work in progress. I just know that I'll and my house will love me for it!
Old 05-04-2007, 06:06 AM

I'm joining!
My clutter-y sister moved out today! That means I can see my kitchen and bathroom counters again!

I already went through the bathroom stuff and tossed the old/unused. I recently went through my bedroom junk pile, but the closet needs work.
I need to just keep up on the kitchen and living areas.

We are planning to move too, so throw those plans in the mix.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

1 broken closet door
5 shirts into the yard sale box
lots of toys into the yard sale box
some mismatched toy pieces- tossed

Not sure what my count is right now- I would guess maybe 80? I will aim for 500 this month

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
Old 05-04-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraNicole View Post
i'm in for the....
:storeroom under our carport : (it's bad)

:bedroom closet dh has trashed it

:linen closet (was grouped by color until dh trashed it last week)

:declutter my hard drive

i spent 5 hours cleaning yesterday...mostly "psycho neat freak" cleaning as dh calls it...
my basebords are all purty again... along w/all the outlits...
did the linen closet AGAIN and dh has his marching orders...
Old 05-04-2007, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Did two loads of laundry today and *put the clothes away without waiting* THAT should count for something!

Old 05-05-2007, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camotyka View Post
I've been making a drop at the local consignment shop at least once a week.
I think my local Goodwill knows my van now. :

2 bags of trash today.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:50 PM

I want to join, but I'm so overwhelmed with our clutter that I'm not sure where to start!

Okay, let's say get rid of 500 things. I've never done this before and don't want to set the goal so high that I get discouraged.

I've already gotten rid of some things, or am in the process.

1. 3 of my baby/parenting books went to the doctor's office waiting room
2. Just emailed my moms groups with all my other parenting books to see if anyone wanted any of them, 1 is spoken for
3. Gave away ALL of my maternity clothes!
4. Sold a huge garbage bag full of baby clothes to my friend

Okay, so I guess I will count that as 6 since I can't really count the clothes since they are already gone.

My goal for this weekend is to go through our closet and put aside a pile for Goodwill of clothes that we don't wear, can't wear, etc. Not sure if I'm going to accomplish this task though because we are pretty busy this weekend, and I have some work to do before Monday afternoon! But, I'll at least try to start!

User Tag List