May Room Challenge: Playroom/Spare room - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 05-02-2007, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, with 10 votes the Play/Spare room takes it! This could be your kids play area, your basement, your guest room, etc. Garage was a close 2nd with 7 votes. I hope someone will take up leading the Garage challenge!

I'm copying the all Mighty Moo's instructions!
Hope you have a good month off!

Here is how it works:

1. Clean and tidy your room like you would any day - don't delve into organizing and decluttering yet, just get it to its typical everyday clean/picked up state.

2. Take pictures! Make sure to take pictures of everything - open all the closets, drawers, etc. Show us all the various spaces inside and out.

3. Post your before pictures on this thread by May 7th. (Just a guideline to get you motivated!) Copy and paste the form below and answer the questions (and feel free to add your own if you think of them!). Give us a tour of your room, point out your problem areas, what you want to change, point out what you like. Feel free to ask for others opinions or advice! Use the form I've posted below - tell us your plan of action and checklist if you have one. Of course you can enter midmonth, I just put the date to encourage people to get their pictures up in the first week so we have the month to work!

4. Declutter, Organize and Simplify away! Use each other on this thread for support, advice and inspiration! Feel free to share more pictures along the way if it inspires you or if you are excited about something maybe someone else might like to try too! Feel free to include decorating and other homemaking activities in this challenge if that is part of your plan for your room.

5. May 31st - Post your before and after pictures! Ding Ding Ding - time is up! At the end of the month, we'll all take pictures of how our rooms look and post them with the original shots for a before and after! Heap each other with praise and admiration for a job well done!

Notes:

The inspiration for this idea is that we all be working on the same room, or similar ones. Next month we'll pick a different room to work on (or if you think there are enough people interested, start your own challenge!) The Monthly challenge thread is always lively and a good place for posting that sort of thing.

You are welcome to participate without sharing pictures if you like. It is fun to share visuals to help each other brainstorm as well as have the fun of seeing the before and after shots. So many of us had fun sharing pictures of how our houses looked dirty, I figured we'd really get a kick out of showing off what we've done. However, feel free to join and contribute without pictures if you prefer.

CUT and PASTE this form to "enter" the challenge:

MY ROOM PICTURE TOUR

WHAT I LIKE BEST ABOUT MY ROOM(Include a picture!)

WHAT I LIKE LEAST ABOUT MY ROOM

HOT SPOTS (spots in your room that tend to collect clutter)

MY PLAN OF ACTION - whatever you would like, just a list of your goals.

GO!
#2 of 48 Old 05-02-2007, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...y1Yv2g&notag=1

WHAT I LIKE BEST ABOUT MY ROOM
It gets lots of light, decent size. It is supposed to be for ME.

It is a magnet for anything that doesn't have a home.

HOT SPOTS
My desk! The closet! The floor! This room gets all the junk since it has so many purposes!

MY PLAN OF ACTION
Go through all papers and throw out/file.
Go through all books and get rid of what I can.
Make DH go through his stuff.
Figure out a good way to make a system work for DH.
Hang cork board.
Make closet work for storage.
Get some shelves or something to organize what I have left.
Figure out something for closet door.
#3 of 48 Old 05-02-2007, 11:57 PM

Aww, crap! The spare room!? Ugh, I don't know if I am ready to unleash that chaos quite yet. I was hoping for somethin' easy! Let me think tonight about whether I can join in, because it would a huge undertaking (the room is an absolute disaster).

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#4 of 48 Old 05-03-2007, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
Aww, crap! The spare room!? Ugh, I don't know if I am ready to unleash that chaos quite yet. I was hoping for somethin' easy! Let me think tonight about whether I can join in, because it would a huge undertaking (the room is an absolute disaster).

Come on - you can do it! We didn't actually get dh's office finished last month, but we got a ton done on it. Actually - all but the decorating.

Our playroom is actually finished. It's pretty cool if I don't say so myself! And I do ALL the time. I go in there, pick up toys and say to dh, "Isn't this the coolest room?" He laughs at me.

I will focus on the "spare" room. I guess that'll be what is technically the dining room that we use for a craft/computer room. We getting a ceiling fan in there to replace the awful 70's plastic chandelier this month, and I've already started taking the super ugly wallpaper down. I already have paint and curtains for the room - so I just need to DO everything. My biggest challenge will be to find a decent desk for the area for a frugal price. I guess I'll be perusing Craig's List!

MY ROOM PICTURE TOUR Sorry - no digital!

WHAT I LIKE BEST ABOUT MY ROOM New carpet!

WHAT I LIKE LEAST ABOUT MY ROOM ugly wallpaper and plastic chandelier

HOT SPOTS computer area and craft table.

MY PLAN OF ACTION Take down wallpaper, paint walls, hang curtains, get new desk and get computer hooked up, decide whether or not big chair stays or not!
#5 of 48 Old 05-03-2007, 11:01 AM

MY ROOM PICTURE TOUR-

Photos to come soon!

WHAT I LIKE BEST ABOUT MY ROOM(Include a picture!)-

The new IKEA storage system we got.

WHAT I LIKE LEAST ABOUT MY ROOM-

Just that it seems the schooling stuff gets to cluttered and that I dont really like how its set up.

HOT SPOTS (spots in your room that tend to collect clutter)-

School table and file drawers.

MY PLAN OF ACTION - whatever you would like, just a list of your goals.-

1- To sort all the toys and get rid of anything broken, missing pieces, junk or stuff that just is not played with often.

2- Clean out file cabinet.

3- Rearrange the room if I can in some better way to make space feel more inviting.
#6 of 48 Old 05-03-2007, 12:03 PM

This is great for me because I only made it half-way though the office challenge last month, but they are the same room at my house, so I will just continue on it.
#7 of 48 Old 05-03-2007, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I think I'm in...we don't have a spare room or even an official playroom...the "playroom" is our family room...Soooo, I think I'll be in, but just to go through DS's toys...(sorry, lots of elipses from me today! ).

MY ROOM PICTURE TOUR I'll try to get these tonight or tomorrow sometime.

WHAT I LIKE BEST ABOUT MY ROOM DS's toybox, and all the extra space at the bottom of our entertainment center that helps hold the extra toys.

WHAT I LIKE LEAST ABOUT MY ROOM I wish it wasn't my family room, because it would be nice to not have it constantly littered with toys! That's not something I can change with this challenge though!

HOT SPOTS The entire floor.

MY PLAN OF ACTION Really, the biggest thing I would like to do is just go through DS's toys, figure out what does and doesn't play with, get rid of some things, and pack away some others to rotate in later.

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#8 of 48 Old 05-03-2007, 04:05 PM

Ok, you convinced me ColoradoMama! I'll join but I am not providing before photos until I can give you afters : The rest of my house is very clean, nicely decorated and pretty organized...the spare room is well...NOT. I've been avoiding really fixing it up since we have lived here. Its pretty much a bunch storage stuff, way too much craft stuff, our computer, mismatched furniture all covered with cat hair and dust. I'd love for it to be our playroom/computer room when I'm done. This is actually the perfect time for me to do this project as my daughter is ending 3x week therapy and we will have lots more free time and a playroom would get lots of use!

MY ROOM PICTURE TOUR I'll do that later, too embarrassing right now

WHAT I LIKE BEST ABOUT MY ROOM the warm morning light, the possibilities of what this room may become, the idea of having an "activity" room for all of us, where the mess of what we've been doing (kids playing with blocks, me sewing, etc) can be kept to just one room

WHAT I LIKE LEAST ABOUT MY ROOM piles of unused craft supplies everywhere reminding me of all the projects I've never finished or even started, how dirty it is because its too unorganized to clean, the catbox sitting out (nowhere else to put it), the popcorn ceiling, unpainted damaged walls. Wow, that's alot!

HOT SPOTS umm the whole room :

MY PLAN OF ACTION

1) SORT- Clear out all items that can be sold at upcoming garage sale and put into basement with other garage sale items; sort craft supplies and find containers for them. Find homes for anything else that doesn't belong. Put remaining "keep" items in dining room for the next stage (I will hate them being there and it will motivate me to finish!)

2) REMODEL- Remove popcorn ceiling, fix damaged wall (it has painted over wall paper from previous owner), paint walls a color TBD, replace outlets and light switch with new ones (already urchased).

3) REDECORATE- Sew or buy a curtains for window and the new catbox nook, find a new shelves (might actually buy some from IKEA), make a seating area for reading books to kids from our old sofa in thats in the basement (add slipcover) and maybe a couple of big floor pillows next to it. Move other nicer computer cabinet into room for the computer to be hidden.

4) ARRANGE/ORGANIZE- Put all crafts back into the new shelves in their new organized boxes. Arrange books on new shelves, with kids books on the lowest shelf next to the reading area. Put up baby gate and curtain in cat box nook to keep dog and kids out of it and make it feel like its not actually *in* the playroom. Arrange the kids bigger toys (easel, playkitchen) and baskets of smaller toys in the room?

~Rebecca~

#9 of 48 Old 05-03-2007, 04:06 PM

I know I'm getting myself into ALOT of work, but if I want to...I'll get it all done. We painted, put a new backsplash and new wood floors in our kitchen one week before hosting back to back parties...I thrive under pressure I've been wanting to get this room done for so long but overwhelmed by it all!

~Rebecca~

#10 of 48 Old 05-03-2007, 07:22 PM

I'm doing our spare/guest room. It's full of junk right now (although it was *completely* full before our garage sale on Saturday), as you will see from the photos.

MY ROOM PICTURE TOUR
I will post pictures later.

WHAT I LIKE BEST ABOUT MY ROOM(Include a picture!)
Hmmm... I don't know. It's just a small room, between my husband's office/game room and our baby's nursery. I guess I like that it's a completely blank slate -- white walls and nothing that is permanently affixed in there.

The litter box. Ugh. This has been the biggest issue for us in general. Where to keep the litter box! It has ended up in here, so I need to figure out a way to incorporate that into my plan.

The closet!

I want this room to be peaceful and happy -- not a room that gets the door closed when company comes over. My plan:

~sort through the mess that is there now, and give stuff away or find new homes for everything.
~figure out the litter box situation
~paint/decorate/organize!! the fun part.
#11 of 48 Old 05-03-2007, 07:23 PM

celestialdreamer -- What kind of catbox nook are you creating? I'm intrigued!
#12 of 48 Old 05-03-2007, 07:33 PM

MY ROOM PICTURE TOUR: I’ll have to take them this weekend.

WHAT I LIKE BEST ABOUT MY ROOM: Around-the-room bookshelf stores lots of books

WHAT I LIKE LEAST ABOUT MY ROOM: I can’t step into it right now

HOT SPOTS: EVERYWHERE!! It’s a hot room!

MY PLAN OF ACTION: This room is the spare room that will be a ‘sort of’ baby room (we’re planning on co-sleeping) but will keep the couch/bed in it for guests.

1. Start by getting rid of all of the boxes in the room. Put styrofoam peanuts in bags, Freecycle styrofoam and boxes.

2. Move metal rack into the garage.

3. Treadmill – unsure. I don’t know if it will stay or go into the garage because I know once it goes into the garage there is little to no chance I will ever use it again.

4. Declutter viciously.

5. Clean closet.
#13 of 48 Old 05-03-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
Ok, you convinced me ColoradoMama! I'll join but I am not providing before photos until I can give you afters : The rest of my house is very clean, nicely decorated and pretty organized...the spare room is well...NOT.
Glad you're joining! I know what you mean because that is my house as well. I have these rooms that are decluttered and decorated that I LOVE. And then - there is the rest of the house.
#14 of 48 Old 05-03-2007, 09:32 PM

i'm joining, if only to set up the playroom (we just moved last thursday).

WHAT I LIKE BEST ABOUT MY ROOM: lots of natural light for a basement

WHAT I LIKE LEAST ABOUT MY ROOM: basement dank.

HOT SPOTS: not really functional right now.

MY PLAN OF ACTION: I'm planning on setting up the shelving in the basement, to clear this particular area of crap.

Possibly a fresh coat of paint on the walls.

Insert rug, rescued from the trash heap the old owners left. (if they had told me they were planning on tossing it, I could have saved them the trouble of hauling up from the basement :LOL).

I also need to set up a sewing table in this space - I don't particularly love the light in there at night but the other two options for sewing space are occupied by sleeping bodies at night,.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#15 of 48 Old 05-03-2007, 10:43 PM

Definitely want (NEED) to be in on this one! My dad is coming on May 30th and I have to get this room cleaned and organized before he gets here! The room I am doing is my spare bedroom/my clothes closet room. It needs help so badly. It is the only room in my house that is not organized because I just throw stuff in there.

WHAT I LIKE BEST ABOUT MY ROOM: cozy, bright sunlight in the afternoon

WHAT I LIKE LEAST ABOUT MY ROOM: weird shape (L shaped), not much storage options, full sized bed doesn't really fit, but we have not other choice at this point.

HOT SPOTS: the bed, the floor, everywhere!!

MY PLAN OF ACTION: get rid of the boxes that I have been storing in there that are going to consignment, organize my clothes, get rid of clothes I don't love, and decorate it nice for my dad's visit

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#16 of 48 Old 05-04-2007, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

It sounds like we all have HOT rooms.

I will show you mine if you show me yours...
#17 of 48 Old 05-04-2007, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikidee View Post
celestialdreamer -- What kind of catbox nook are you creating? I'm intrigued!
The wall when you walk in on the left has 2 separate closets. The one closest to the door is really small and gets covered by the door when its open. I'm going to put up a baby gate and a curtain to mostly cover up the gate, with just enough room for the cats to feel welcome to jump in and out. I will probably have to put something on the floor on both sides of the gate for my old cat to be able to climb in. She's 17 so I can't really expect her to just hop on over! If the gate idea doesn't work, I will probably just stick with the curtain, with the open side closest to the door so you can't see in there.

You could probably create something similar in a regular sized closet, or even just put up one of those room divider screens in a corner.

ETA: I have no idea if what I wrote made sense. I might actually have to take a picture!

~Rebecca~

#18 of 48 Old 05-04-2007, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
This is great for me because I only made it half-way though the office challenge last month, but they are the same room at my house, so I will just continue on it.
Me, too! So here is my entry from last month:'

Thalia's Office/Spare Room Photo Tour
Main view of the room:
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/IMG_1795.jpg
Corner with desk:
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/IMG_1802.jpg
Close up of desk:
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/IMG_1828.jpg
Printer stand area:
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/IMG_1801.jpg
Interior of printer stand
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/IMG_1820.jpg
Office closet area:
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/IMG_1807.jpg
Interior of closet:
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/IMG_1813.jpg
My laptop area:
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/IMG_1811.jpg
Bookshelf & filing cabinets & recycling center/shredder:
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/IMG_1799.jpg

WHAT I LIKE BEST ABOUT MY OFFICE AREA:
I love our big bookshelf that is sitting on top of our horizontal files. It looks like a built in unit. I decluttered this last month, so that has a lot to do with why I like it so much.
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/IMG_1799.jpg

WHAT I LIKE LEAST ABOUT MY OFFICE AREA:
The desk. It used to be just for DH because he was self-employed and worked from home. Now he works full-time out of the home (for someone else), and we want to make it more of a family desk. But it is piled with stuff on top and below. It's one of the first things you see when you walk in the room. Cords everywhere, piles of paper, cassette tapes, old notebooks, mystery boxes. Argh!
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/IMG_1802.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/IMG_1828.jpg

HOT SPOTS:
The desk (see above). The little table next to my armchair. The two chairs next to the radiator. The little space next to the printer. And the chairs collect DH's shirts and the floor collects my socks and shoes.

MY PLAN OF ACTION -
*Reorganize the interior of the printer stand DONE!
*Get DH to take the aerobed sitting on a chair downstairs DONE!
*Copy cassettes to digital format and purge
*Freecycle unneeded office supplies under desk DONE!
*Have DH sort through his files in the filing cabinet and purge to make space
*Move files on top of desk to open space in filing cabinet
*Sort through last drawer of filing cabinet that I haven't already decluttered
*Organize scary cords running everywhere and put into cable snakes
*Move boxes under desk to storage
*Sort closet and purge unneeded items DONE!
*Find a new home for all of our tools and hardware DONE!
*Have DH sort through photos in box on floor next to closet (not pictured)
*Put photos in an album or storage box
*Sort through containers on table next to laptop

Whew!:

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#19 of 48 Old 05-04-2007, 01:18 AM

yay this is the room i need to work on next... that is after i finish the front room/office
#20 of 48 Old 05-04-2007, 03:55 PM

No pics from me, but this is a good room for me to start next. I'm still finishing up the office but I'm almost there...yay!

Our spare room (back bedroom) is the room we started renovating a couple of years ago and never finished. It's currently a) the guest room (futon left perpetually open), b) the storage room (large Rubbermaid bins of photos, out-of-season clothing, stuff to donate, camping equipment, medieval re-enactment stuff, and fabric), c) the sewing room (important as I have a big project I'm working on due in August), d) the workshop (big tools and supplies left over from the remodeling that isn't quite finished, but that is DH's job, not mine), and e) the game room (big kids games are in here, plus a large work table). It's a very interesting all-purpose room.

However, it needs to be turned back into either a simple "guest room" or an "office" before we put the house on the market next year. Vaporizing all this stuff isn't going to happen in May, but I will try to minimize what is there. Combining stuff into fewer bins, getting rid of the donateables, packing all the photo stuff up more densely, getting rid of anything we really don't need to keep.

Hot spots for me are definitely the tops of the full storage bins and the changing table that I'm planning to sell on Craigslist (finally). The kids' hotspots are the open futon and the floor.

I need to spend time in there minimizing the stuff. Putting away what is in there, getting rid of as much as I can stand to, and packing the rest into neat and tidyness. It's just going to take time without kid-help, which I'll have to make it a priority to arrange.

This way, when DH is ready to finish the room (which could be on a whim, knowing him) my stuff will be tidy and portable.

I am enjoying these threads very much!

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#21 of 48 Old 05-04-2007, 08:01 PM

thalia: where'd'ya get the star light? I'm looking for something similar for a similar corner of my living room.

on sewing crap and selling a house: I literally just boxed it all up in totes and hauled it to the garage. (detached garage that is). If I was really going whole-hog I would have boxed it up and taken it to a storage unit to deal with later. I know, I know -- it's like sweeping the dirt under the rug. BUT now I'm sorting through it all from the garage in anticipation of only bringing that which I want and can really use into the house.

what color would you paint the walls to your basement playroom area (unfinished ceiling)? grey floor. we might (someday) add drywall and a floor. But in the meantime I want to clean it up a bit.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#22 of 48 Old 05-05-2007, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...y1Yv2g&notag=1

Added my pictures, you can see the room in a circle.

Got a few things done today, had DH hang my corkboard, went through some of the papers on the desk. Baby steps...
#23 of 48 Old 05-06-2007, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
thalia: where'd'ya get the star light? I'm looking for something similar for a similar corner of my living room
DH bought it for me in Philadelphia. It was the first gift he ever gave me: we had just started dating. He was on a business trip there, and e-mailed me and gave me three color combinations to choose from, without letting me know that it was for. I picked the midnight blue/orange combo, and he brought the star back for me!

I've seen them sold around here in Chicago, too, though. And I just googled them and found this site, too.

#24 of 48 Old 05-06-2007, 03:01 AM

I'd posted earlier that I planned to continue working on the office, but tonight we cleaned out our storage unit! I am sooooooo happy about it. I'd been asking DH if we could do it for a while now, and he'd been reluctant because, let's face it, who wants to clean out crap in the basement on the weekend? But today was kind of cold and cloudy, so he agreed. So we brought a CD player and some gloves and water and a camera down there and went to it!

I've been in this building since 1995, so I knew there was some old stuff of mine in there from way back. We took everything out of the unit, swept the floor and dusted the shelves, and then decided to what to do with all the stuff. We threw out a ton of stuff and identified a whole bunch more to give away. Everything else we packed back in neatly. We have so much more space now! I am so so so happy it's done. We thought it would be an all day project, but it ended up taking 3 1/2 hours start to finish.

Now we'll have a place to put baby stuff!

Here's what it looked like before:
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...t/IMG_1868.jpg

Here's the unit all emptied out:
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...t/IMG_1875.jpg

Here's what it looks like now:
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...t/IMG_1877.jpg

Slideshow of the whole process:
http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t...1178430870.pbw

#25 of 48 Old 05-06-2007, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thalia - looks great! I couldn't see the after picture but I watched the slideshow. And how excellent that it didn't take all day. You have accomplished alot this weekend!
#26 of 48 Old 05-06-2007, 05:08 PM

i was debating about joining up this month considering last month i bombed on my office. thursday my dh came home on military leave (ds got sick) and now that ds is better we started actually getting the office decluttered and organized. i figured if i was a month late, at least i will have it done...so i just came to see what this months challenge was and its the playroom....which is also our office....YIPPIE!!!!!!!!!!! were already 3/4 of the way to having it cleaned up. im gonna take more pictures in a bit to show whats been done comparred to last months pics, then when i finish it, ill post more pics...

we also made it a goal to get rid of 10 full sized trash bags of stuff this weekend...right now we are at 9. ill be back in a bit with pictures.
#27 of 48 Old 05-06-2007, 06:13 PM

ok im back with pictures

MY ROOM PICTURE TOUR
http://www.flickr.com/photos/darlintxmomma/sets/
go thru the office cleanup tour then the playroom one to see what all has been done so far...

WHAT I LIKE BEST ABOUT MY ROOM
all the sunlight

how quickly the desk gets out of hand and how hot it gets in the afternoon cause it faces due west.

the desk and the floor

i just went and stole my plan of action from last months thread since its still the same room for me.
so here goes...

1. Clean off desk and file the paper clutter or trash it. Get some sort of system to separate the incoming bills that need dealt with from the outgoing things. ~DONE

2. Rearrange computer equipment on my desk. Right now something has popped the back of the desk loose and is poking into my window and it drives me crazy. I wanna fix it. The way the desk is arranged just isn't making the best use of the space available. ~DONE (the back of the desk that was loose is now completely gone.

3.Go thru and get rid of crap in boxes in the middle of the floor. I don't even know whats in them so I probably don't need any of it.
almost done here...just 1 box left to go thru and its almost empty already

4. Go thru DS's toys and get rid of the ones he doesnt play with anymore. I want him to have an organized playroom with easy access to his stuff but also have it be easy to straighten up when hes done playing.
again, almost done here...just that one box left that i need to find places for the toys in it...im also thinking of getting a wall shelf to stack his toy bins on so they will all be in one place...we'll see how that goes

5. I need to vacuum in here really bad, and maybe even shampoo the carpet because I think one of my dogs baptized the floor a couple of months ago and when it gets really hot outside....the smell reminds me.

6. I need to go thru the bags in the bottom of the closet again and thin them out some more. They are full of maternity clothes from when I was preg with DS almost 2 years ago and no current plans for another kid so I don't need all those bags of clothes at the moment.

7. I'm going to move the over the door ironing board hanger to DH"s closet door because it doesnt get opened and closed NEARLY as frequently as the main door and the ironing board slams into the door every time it is moved and its LOUD! ~ DONE

8. Im going to empty the closet out and raise everything...the shelf and curtain rod because the clothes hang so low you can barely get around in the floor of the closet. i did mine a few months ago and it has been fabulous...it stays very neat now that i can see everything.
#28 of 48 Old 05-07-2007, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirkylayne View Post
Thalia - looks great! I couldn't see the after picture but I watched the slideshow. And how excellent that it didn't take all day. You have accomplished alot this weekend!
Thanks! I think I fixed the link to the "after" photo.

I am still having decluttering afterglow, and keep stopping to smooch DH and thank him for spending that time on the basement. He was really pleased with it, too and very glad we took care of it.

#29 of 48 Old 05-07-2007, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

How are you all doing?

I did a few things this weekend but as usual, half of my work is in vain. I swear this room just attracts the crap in our house. I really need to go through all the papers on my desk and clean out the closet. Still don't have new bookshelves like I want. :
#30 of 48 Old 05-13-2007, 01:27 AM

Celestialdreamer - that sounds really cool!! What a great idea.... We do have a closet in the room, and I also like the idea of using a room divider. Hmm...

OK so my progress so far (I did take pics, and will post them later) --

I have moved the clothes out of the guest room closet, and have pulled out the baby stuff to get packaged up. So I'm still on Step 1 -- cleaning out the room. I am hoping to have that finished this week so I can paint the room next week and start getting my area set up.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page