am I the only decluttering/simplifying person who struggles with this? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 05-15-2007, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyem View Post
I think my mom is on the top of the list for supplying junk. When she comes to visit she brings random weird dollar store stuff , random school supplies she collects (handed my 2 yr old markers and my couch still has big stains in it), and the topper is she will clean out her freezer and bring us everything she will not eat and has been sitting for months and months. And she wonders why I throw it all out. Gross! Then of course she is big into stuffed toys. One son is allergic to dust mites and neither is interested in stuffed toys. I think she got the hint last trip. She actually took the toy home with her after the boys flung it over their shoulder and our stuffed toy addict dog grabbed it.
Hehehehe.

Mooooom! to  guitar.gifDS (1/05) and whistling.gifDSS (11/05).  TTC fingersx.gifour "ours" after VR on 10/12.  

#32 of 36 Old 05-15-2007, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnitterMama View Post
I can totally relate. I am usually formulating my excuse for why it's no longer in my house as my mother is dropping the crap off. I've gotten pretty creative.
We don't have basements over here, so the good thing is, I can really make a good excuse for where it is. "oh, I think it's up in the attic."

You know, that dark, hot small storage area that you need to pull a ladder out to get to . Don't have to worry about anyone asking me to get it out LOL.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#33 of 36 Old 05-15-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
well, at least you are getting rid of them, and not storing them for many guilt ridden years, like I usually do LOL
I was going to post about this today!!!

Yeah! People gives us so much *stuff* and I am not a stuff kind of person. Then I feel bad and have to save it for 2 years before getting rid of it. We live in a 2 bedroom house with little storage but people will give my son gifts that take up a lot of space still.

The smelly lotion post is cracking me up We don't like fake smells or lotion but people love to give it to us. My SIL even kept giving it to me even though she knows her brother hates it!

Lucy-your mom gives you her old freezer leftovers?!!

I agree that I wold rather be taken out to lunch, have flowers, or something nice like that than given another useless "thing"!

Stop the insanity!:

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#34 of 36 Old 05-15-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post

Since we're on the subject - here's an idea I had. Please tell me if this is incredibly tacky. "Parents - please do not feel obligated to bring a present. If you want to give something to B, please consider giving her $5 and a handmade card, picture, or note. We will take her shopping on her birthday, so she can spend her birthday money on something she's been wanting. Again, please don't feel obligated to give anything. Your presence is the best present of all!" Please tell me if this is absolutely tacky!
I wouldn't mention the $5, but other than that, not tacky at all. I know there've been arguments and debates about this in other forums, but we've had b-day parties with the 'no gifts please' request and it's been great. If someone really wants to give a gift they will, but most I think are grateful not to have to spend the money and time it takes.

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#35 of 36 Old 05-15-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_sonja View Post
I wouldn't mention the $5, but other than that, not tacky at all. I know there've been arguments and debates about this in other forums, but we've had b-day parties with the 'no gifts please' request and it's been great. If someone really wants to give a gift they will, but most I think are grateful not to have to spend the money and time it takes.
Well, the reason I put that in there is because I've said the part about the gift before and people (all of them!) still bring gifts. I mean, it's nice - I, personally, love gift giving, but she has so much stuff - that's why I put that part in there. That way people would feel like there was another option, yk? Maybe that doesn't make sense! Thanks for your input. I should have started another thread instead of hijacking this one.:
#36 of 36 Old 05-15-2007, 06:03 PM

If your family asks, maybe some of you with young children can request a family membership to the zoo, science or children's museum, or a 3 month subscription to Netflix. If you can explain how more opportunities to do fun stuff together would be great, maybe that would help cut down on the excess junk. For individual kid's birthdays maybe grandparents would be glad to offer art, music or other kinds of lessons.

These messages reminded me of when we moved back here after several years away from our families & oldest children were 5 & 3. My in-laws gave them each a brown paper grocery bag full of the stuff you buy hanging on a rack in a convenience store. Not only was it absolute junk, a lot of it broke as you tried to open the package which caused much dismay & tears. Honestly, it still boggles my mind that anyone could think that was a good idea!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page