do you make your bed every morning? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 56 Old 05-07-2007, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i never do but i wish i did!

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

#32 of 56 Old 05-07-2007, 10:55 PM

I make it everyday. I think the room looks much nicer that way. I also enjoy getting into a neatly made bed every night.

It seems like I can tolerate the mess in Ds's room when the bed is made!

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#33 of 56 Old 05-07-2007, 10:56 PM

double post.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#34 of 56 Old 05-08-2007, 12:06 AM

It is actually a lot better if you have dust mite allergies to at least air your bed out for a few hours before making it if you make it at all. I used to work in allergy and asthma research and learned all sorts of delightful things about the dust mites that inhabit mattresses and carpets in our homes(even from clean houses!) They feed off of our dead skin cells and thrive in damp environments. After I found out that it is actually probably healthier to leave my bed unmade I stopped feeling guilty about leaving it that way most of the time! Now I only make it if we are having people over that might see into our bedroom.

Heidi , wife to my DH , mama to Hope Isobel (4/3/06), Molly Grace (7/31/09): , furbaby Callie :
#35 of 56 Old 05-08-2007, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post
Yes. Our morning bed routine works like this:

On rising, pull back covers from bed and drape over footboard to allow bed to air. Plump pillows.

Before leaving house, make bed. We have just sheets and comforters on the bed, so it doesn't take long - less than 30 seconds. DDs 10 and 13 make their own each morning, I make mine.

It makes a huge difference to the appearance of the bedrooms. As we live in an apartment, rooms have to serve more than one purpose, and I would find it impossible to sit in a room with an unmade bed.
That's what I do too. I pull the covers back to air it out, and open a window if it's nice out, as soon as I get up. Then I make it up after breakfast. I walk past the bedroom several times during the day, and I love seeing it looking nice. It makes me feel more pulled together to have the beds made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittynurse View Post
I rarely make the bed.

It used to be because I am totally lazy, plain and simple but since DS1 was diagnosed with a dust mite allergy I discovered that it is better to leave your bed unmade with the covers pulled back. Making the bed traps heat and moisture which dust mites love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaheids View Post
It is actually a lot better if you have dust mite allergies to at least air your bed out for a few hours before making it if you make it at all. I used to work in allergy and asthma research and learned all sorts of delightful things about the dust mites that inhabit mattresses and carpets in our homes(even from clean houses!) They feed off of our dead skin cells and thrive in damp environments. After I found out that it is actually probably healthier to leave my bed unmade I stopped feeling guilty about leaving it that way most of the time! Now I only make it if we are having people over that might see into our bedroom.
Yeah, that's why I started airing it out first. I figure between that and stripping the bed regularly to wash everything, it should be as ok as I can make it. I can't go so far as to leave the bed unmade. It would drive me nuts.:
#36 of 56 Old 05-08-2007, 04:11 PM

I hate to make the bed.
My husband loves it, though.
So sometimes I do it to make him happy... but mostly it's unmade.
#37 of 56 Old 05-08-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwylde View Post
Never. The bedroom is out of the way and the kids play on it or someone is always napping so what's the point. I get no joy out of it being made
Yup. Seems like wasted time to me. It just gets unmade again at night. All of you bed-makers are high achievers.
#38 of 56 Old 05-08-2007, 05:43 PM

Yes!!! I didn't used to, but it takes just a few seconds and makes the room feel all fresh and tidy. Also, the flylady says to do it:-), and she's my guru.

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#39 of 56 Old 05-08-2007, 05:52 PM

umm....yeah...of course i do! yes..:

um. be right back..

#40 of 56 Old 05-08-2007, 06:41 PM

never. But we don't use top sheets and only have very fluffy duvets. Also, they are European sizes and they don't fit well on our American sized bed anyways.

Go Green I don't vax either, why mess with perfect?
#41 of 56 Old 05-08-2007, 07:27 PM

DH would love for me to make the bed every day. I rarely do. Sometimes I straighten it a little, if I don't, then he straightens it when he comes home. On the weekends, he usually makes it.

I love my DH!
#42 of 56 Old 05-08-2007, 07:27 PM

I make the bed if I've just cleaned the room, or if I'm sorting laundry (I do it on the bed and it's a lot easier to do on a flat surface, than on a jumble of blankets!) Generally, I don't make it. I don't have time in the morning! I know that sounds like a silly excuse, but I'm a single, working mom. That makes for a busy morning! I cherish the little sleep I get, and I'm not going to wake up 5 or 10 minutes earlier just to have a tidy bed that nobody but me and my children will see.
#43 of 56 Old 05-08-2007, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I don't make the bed in the morning, although I usually have to at least sort of make it before I can get into it at night.

I should make it in the morning, though, because I love getting into a nice neatly made bed.

I wish DH would let me put a comforter on it instead of the 3 thin blankets we have that get all tangled up every night, but he says it's too hot. I'm on the verge of getting us each separate twin-sized blankets Well, a quilt for me and blankets for him, that is.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#44 of 56 Old 05-08-2007, 10:33 PM

I make my and DHs bed every morning. I feel like if I can do that much, I've accomplished something. Besides, even when the upstairs is a mess, I can look in and see my tidy, made bed and it makes everything seem so much better!
#45 of 56 Old 05-09-2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggie View Post
I wish DH would let me put a comforter on it instead of the 3 thin blankets we have that get all tangled up every night, but he says it's too hot. I'm on the verge of getting us each separate twin-sized blankets Well, a quilt for me and blankets for him, that is.
Somewhere I saw a down comforter that had had two different warmths. One side was warm and the other was cool. I thought that was a darn good idea because I always have an extra wool blanket under the comforter on my side of the bed. A new two-zone one isn't exactly simplifiying in the financial sense, but it would make bed making easier.
#46 of 56 Old 05-09-2007, 02:14 PM

I do, because I am trying to be a good Happy Homemaker. Not that it looks all that neat. We have two comforters because we cosleep. That way I can have one, DF can have one, and ds can sleep swaddled but uncovered in the middle. The ugly comforter is slightly bigger than the cute one that matches the room, so I gently bunch up the ugly one so it is covered by the cute one. I figure it is a step up from a year ago when I NEVER made the bed.

love.gif

#47 of 56 Old 05-09-2007, 03:47 PM

Yes. Whoever is last to come downstairs makes the bed. I like the instant tidyness it gives the bedroom.
#48 of 56 Old 05-09-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittynurse View Post
I rarely make the bed.

It used to be because I am totally lazy, plain and simple but since DS1 was diagnosed with a dust mite allergy I discovered that it is better to leave your bed unmade with the covers pulled back. Making the bed traps heat and moisture which dust mites love.

I love it when I discover an excuse for my laziness!
I heard about his too and now I'm REALLY never making my bed! Not that I ever did it before.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#49 of 56 Old 05-09-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilla626 View Post
Same here. The idea of sealing up all our sweat and dead skin cells for the dust mites to dine on is kind of nasty. I pull the covers back to let the bed air out.
That's why we put ours to air immediately on rising, then make before leaving the house.

I am always surprised at how many people have never heard of airing a bed.
#50 of 56 Old 05-09-2007, 07:17 PM

Sometimes. I'd really like to do it every day but I'm usually too tired and oversleep and so always rushing to get where I'm going. Plus up until a couple weeks ago DS would take his naps there and so if it wasn't made by nap time then forget it!

But I love the look of a made bed. It's like an invitation to climb in mid-afternoon with a good book.

Zachary (Jan. 16, 05), Blossom (Sept. 14, 08)
::
#51 of 56 Old 05-10-2007, 09:41 PM

I make our bed about 80% of the time - but my goal is to do it every day. I used to not see the sense in it. Then I spent some time with FlyLady, and I tried making it every day. I realized that our bedroom looks soooo much nicer when our bed is made. We have a nice bed and nice bedding and I love the way it looks made. Only takes me two minutes anyway.

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
#52 of 56 Old 05-10-2007, 10:16 PM

the only time the bed is made is the day I change the sheets. Maybe if I had a nice bedframe and headboard? Our king sized mattress and boxspring are on the floor so even when it's made, it still looks frumpy.

I have always felt that the bed should be aired out but never knew there was some science behind it! It just made sense to me.

Our bedroom is upstairs so no one sees it either.
#53 of 56 Old 05-10-2007, 10:27 PM

Yes. Every single morning, as soon as I wake. It takes less than one minute and makes a huge difference in the appearance of the room.
#54 of 56 Old 05-10-2007, 10:34 PM

the only time my bed is made is the days the midwifes come and then my partner makes it cuz i suck when it comes to making a bed.

i like to sleep somewhat like a swaddled baby in a cocoon of blankets. and i can't sleep with a shared blanket so a made bed makes a lot more work for me to actually get comfortable at night. i wish i could sleep easily in a made bed and share blankets with my partner though i am such a light sleeper and need everything to be just right or i toss and turn all night long and it really sucks. i like how made beds look to and wish i was better at making them but i have no motivation to improve

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#55 of 56 Old 05-11-2007, 06:41 PM

I have recently started to make mine everyday. Let's see how long I can keep it up.
#56 of 56 Old 05-11-2007, 06:49 PM

I love to make the bed and do it every morning before leaving the room. Instant gratification...room appears clean and bright adn cheery. Time to start the day in my mind.

Married to my soul mate and best friend. Stay-at-home-mama, home-schooler to three magical little ones. And, blogging about a green, simple, frugal way life at rosiedreams.com.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page