do you make your bed every morning? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-07-2007, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we usually don't. I mean, I"m just going to get back in it in a few hours!

but lately I have decided to try to keep the house looking decent and have started making the bed. Just wonder what the norm is around here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2007, 02:17 PM

Yes, I make my bed everyday. I like looking at it during the day and I like climbing into a made bed at night. My boys never make their beds, but they dont use top sheets (well, one does), and they have down comforters with duvets so they sort of look made

Blessings,

~Traci, wife to DH 4-88. Mom to 3 homebirthed sons, 22,20&17

The Blue Door Farmhouse & traci.mymomentis.biz

Old 05-07-2007, 02:23 PM

No cause dh works nights so somebody is always sleeping in the bed it seems.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:33 PM

yep,I feel like i am all over the place if i don't make it first thing.I like to get into a made bed at night too.Dh sometimes messes with kids,like hide and seek etc,after i make it and woe betide him if he doesn't put it back like he found it.: I am a bit strange like that!:

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
Old 05-07-2007, 02:36 PM

I make mine every day, but it's because I like the way it looks. It gives me a sense of order I think. I also like the way it feels to crawl into a bed that is "ready" at night. I often fold laundry on my bed too, so I get pretty annoyed with myself when I hike up the stairs with a load real fast (so it won't wrinkle), only to find the bed a mess!
Old 05-07-2007, 02:42 PM

Yep, I make our bed every day. Usually in the afternoon, though. In the morning I am running the dishwasher, doing laundry, vacuuming, etc. Our bedroom is right off the living room and I like to keep the door open for air circulation.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
Old 05-07-2007, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We sleep on a futon, and put it up into a couch most days. If it gets to about 2PM and I haven't got around to doing it for whatever reason, I just leave it out because it doesn't feel worth it at that point. The covers (we use duvets with removable covers instead of topsheets. I hate topsheets.) generally get shaken out at some point during the day, and then laid out semi-neatly when I get the bed out again.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:05 PM

Hi All,

well, I make my bed everyday since I started doing the flylady system... I was in serious need of help and her system has been great.

I love the look of my made bed. I got myself a pretty bedspread with matching pillow shams and it makes the whole room brighter. With all the decluttering I have been doing my room is starting to look really nice.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:26 PM

Yes. But in Phoenix, we only have a sheet and light blanket.

I have a daycare, and I can see my bed from the daycare room. So, parents can see it too, so I try to keep it nice.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:47 PM

Nope, almost never. Our bedroom is upstairs ad I'm really not up there except sleeping and folding laundry... I have a home daycare and the kids can't go up there per licensing so there's only a few hours left in the day after that, plus there isn't a door btn DD's room and ours, you have to walk through hers to get to ours, so I can't be up there after she goes to bed mostly.

Our Exgf was obsesseive about having the bed made, but it just didn't make sense to me in our case, the next time I see it is generally when I get into it again, if it was on the main floor I would make it.
Melody

Mom to ds 10/12 and dd 2/05 ribbonrainbow.gif

Blogging about living with xeroderma pigmentosum at www.pacificnights.org/ and about life in general at http://livingavibrantlife.blogspot.com/
Old 05-07-2007, 04:06 PM

Never. The bedroom is out of the way and the kids play on it or someone is always napping so what's the point. I get no joy out of it being made (although I love getting into a freshly made motel bed, how cool it is, probably because it is a rare treat, lol!)
Old 05-07-2007, 04:09 PM

Yes. Our morning bed routine works like this:

On rising, pull back covers from bed and drape over footboard to allow bed to air. Plump pillows.

Before leaving house, make bed. We have just sheets and comforters on the bed, so it doesn't take long - less than 30 seconds. DDs 10 and 13 make their own each morning, I make mine.

It makes a huge difference to the appearance of the bedrooms. As we live in an apartment, rooms have to serve more than one purpose, and I would find it impossible to sit in a room with an unmade bed.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Never.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
Old 05-07-2007, 04:46 PM

Un made beds is a pet peeve of mine. That said, the kids beds don't always get made...ours does however. Something about a neat bed that adds peace to my life
Old 05-07-2007, 04:49 PM

I rarely make the bed.

It used to be because I am totally lazy, plain and simple but since DS1 was diagnosed with a dust mite allergy I discovered that it is better to leave your bed unmade with the covers pulled back. Making the bed traps heat and moisture which dust mites love.

I love it when I discover an excuse for my laziness!
Old 05-07-2007, 05:04 PM

The only time I make the bed is when not close people come over (people from work, new people, faraway relatives that we only see once in a blue moon, etc., not because I'm trying to impress them but because I feel like I'm exposing myself to them if it's unmade, lol), to me it is just the ultimate waste of time and I love the look of an inviting bed as opposed to one that's all closed up. The kiddums and I, and even friends and family when they come over, are constantly cuddling, reading, playing, hanging out in bed -it's a cozy, comfy place, and for me carefully arranging and straigtening it all up just screams 'off limits'.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:11 PM

Rarely. Dh is usually still in it when I leave for work. Sometimes I make my half of the bed. The only time I really make the bed is when company is coming. The same with the kids, they make the bed when company is coming. Our mornings are so hectic I just don't see the point in it. Of course, this may also be a carry over rebellion from my mom making me make my bed.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
Old 05-07-2007, 05:26 PM

No. Definitely not. It's only made when the sheets are changed or when I'm folding laundry on it. (I like the nice, flat surface for organizing clean laundry)

Mom to (5) (9)
Old 05-07-2007, 05:26 PM

I go in cycles. Sometimes I do it sometimes I don't.
A lot depends on the rest of my house. When I'm in great housekeeping mode all of it gets done including my bed.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:40 PM

everyday i make three beds...my dh's, the crib (ds sleeps there for naps) and "my" bed actually it should be called my ds bed! i know it's a weird sleeping arrangement don't ask...
Old 05-07-2007, 05:43 PM

Yes, everyday. We have a king size bed in a small bedroom, and if I make the bed the entire room looks much cleaner and more open. I like getting into a made bed at night, and I like the way it looks when it is made. It's also easier to fold clothes on if it's made. I find that it is easier to take a nap during the day if the bed is made, because I don't like to get into bed in my street clothes. If I'm taking a nap I just lay down on the bedcover and pull up the duvet that we have folded at the bottom of the bed.

I like to let the bed air for an hour or two before making it, depending on how much time I have in the morning. I pull down the sheets and open the window and let the sun shine on it, and then an hour or two later, I'll come back and make it up.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
Old 05-07-2007, 05:46 PM

Not usually, it only takes two seconds to grab the comfortor and throw it across the bed, but I don't usually do it....
I think I'll go do that now...

mother to E-(8).... A-(6) .... & N-(5)
Vivian Claire born 3-11-10.... ...still an , extendedmomma :
Old 05-07-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToKandE View Post
No. Definitely not. It's only made when the sheets are changed or when I'm folding laundry on it. (I like the nice, flat surface for organizing clean laundry)
Same here. The idea of sealing up all our sweat and dead skin cells for the dust mites to dine on is kind of nasty. I pull the covers back to let the bed air out.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:55 PM

Not usually!! DP works nights and usually is sleeping in it during the day. I love the look of the made bed but I can't make it if she's in it..

FT mom, FT wife & FT employee.. DS - 11-2004 and second DC due 7-2010
Old 05-07-2007, 06:58 PM

I do make our bed 98% of the time... if I don't it is because I am too tired or sick or just too rushed. I feel so much more relaxed when the bed is made... it seems to start the day off a little more organized.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

I'm glad to know I"m not the only one that doesn't regularly make the bed. But I do have to say that walking past the bed room and seeing a nice smooth blanket on the bed made me feel more at peace. clutter makes me anxious, and I think maybe keeping the bed made might help with that. Plus, the cats seem to like it a lot better when the blanket is on the bed (a nice clean surface to hack up a hairball on )

before, DP and I worked weird hours, and he woke after me so the bed was never made, but now that I am home during the day I think I will make it my goal to make the bed each morning for a month. Small steps. small, small steps.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Banned

yes, neither dh or me. :
Old 05-07-2007, 08:55 PM

For years I did not make the bed. I figured what was the point? But the last 7 months or so I have been making all the beds every morning. It just makes everything so much neater and only takes a minute. Plus even if everthing else is a mess if someone drops by, at least the beds are made!
I am trying to teach ds to make his bed but it is up high and a little difficult since he has to be on the bed while he is making it.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:44 PM

I make my bed everyday.. Sometimes it takes a while to make it, but it gets done.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I used to never make my bed. But I now have a very small house, and my bed is the only place I can really fold laundry. And I have 3 kids and a small washing machine so I generally wash (and fold and put away) 2-5 loads of laundry per day. (Ok, so the 5 loads is usually after skipping a day.) If I don't make my bed, I can't get the laundry monster under control.

The bed doesn't always get made in the morning though. Some days it stays lumpy til the afternoon.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)

User Tag List