Drowning in Stuffed Animals...help me purge! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2007, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Every year we pretty much purge a LOT of stuffed animals. EVERYONE seems to get them for the kids. I remember two years ago at Christmas...the girls got 8...YES 8 stuffed animals from DH's parents and aunt. Add that up between other "token" stuffed animals they get throughout the year and it roughly equates to a large trash bag full each year (maybe even two some years).

Usually I go through them. Fast forward to now. I have way to many again. I think I need some perspective. Some of them are really nice, new like. I need to give in and purge them! Even if they are "nice" and pretty, if they're just sitting around and not getting played with then what is the point?

So, now, I need some extra motivation to go through and give those "good ones" away.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2007, 03:34 PM

Can you give them to a hospital or fire dept? I have an easier time purging stuffed animals if I can imagine them going to a sick child or something like that.

Mom to (5) (9)
Old 05-08-2007, 05:09 PM

Hospitals usually won't take them, because they're an allergen concern. But a fire department would!
Or maybe goodwill, or a homeless shelter?
I need to do this myself.

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
Old 05-08-2007, 06:42 PM

I was able to cut down on the gifts of stuffed animals using the (very true) allergy excuse. They become filled with dust mite, just like pillows. Very bad for kids (and parents) with allergies. Also, my cat will eat them, so it's a health hazard for him to have them around.

If the kids are attached to any, keep a few (let them choose) and donate the rest. Most thrift stores will accept them.

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

Old 05-09-2007, 02:22 AM

I don't understand why people give stuffed animals. :
Old 05-09-2007, 03:03 AM

let me just say I HATE STUFFED ANIMALS.... i think they reproduce in the night

i need to thin out our collection again
Old 05-09-2007, 04:13 AM

My DD is 4 and I made her choose which ones she was going to keep. There were sooo many! I would hold up two and say this or that. I can tell if she really likes something, and sooner or later, she will get tired of it. Like the stuffed Dora my Mom got for her at the fair.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:59 AM

I enjoyed being poor as a kid, I had 2 dolls, a teddy bear and another stuffed animal, I loved them I cared for them I still have the bear and 1 doll!

I hate that my kids have so many too, they play with a couple of them and that's it, the rest just sit there....
Old 05-09-2007, 11:05 AM

I know that charities such as Toys for Tots require new toys. So, for something like a stuffed animal it might need the tags still on it. However, if you can bring yourself to do it try setting aside some of them at the time they are given to.

I know it's easier said than done. It's something I've been meaning to try myself but haven't had the wherewithal to do it. But the girls have so many toys already and there are so many deserving kids that would enjoy and appreciate them more.

The biggest problem of course is that the toy drives are just before Christmas and that's when they get the most toys. So it might mean hanging onto them for almost a year.
~Cath
Old 05-09-2007, 12:04 PM

Ugh - stuffed animals drive me crazy! DD is only 17 months and I've already given away so many. I need to go through them again.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:10 PM

I dread stuffed toy animals. My kids do NOT play with them at all and they just collect dust. MIL loves them dearly and loves giving them to the kids. I have a couple bags in the basement waiting for new homes. I'm going to try to sell some at our yard sale then give the rest to the Salvation Army.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:20 PM

I am having a rummage sale in 2 weeks. I plan on sticking them out in a box labeled free along with a million cd jewel cases and other misc stuff that I don't think will sell that I just want out.

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
Old 05-09-2007, 09:58 PM

Ooooh yes I have this problem with stuffed "things" in general. STOP buying them for me. I dread when we have kids.
I have a large pillow, a bed pillow and a stuffed alligator that I sleep on for a pillow, that's plenty and all that I use...........then all these small "cute" pillow things. My grandpa even gave me one for a wedding gift - the ugliest thing on the plannet! UGH!
I just haven't quite been able to bring myself to toss it in the dumpster. Perhaps it'll go out with the goodwill stuff next week.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:16 AM

A friend & I did a joint yard sale a couple years ago. Her daughter set up a stuffed animal area, that she "ran." You wouldn't believe how many people bought them! I think we sold them for $.25 for small ones and maybe $.50 or $1 for bigger/nicer ones. One woman bought a ton and said she was bringing them overseas through some project she was involved in. But many people just bought them. I was in awe. I think maybe they bought them to keep their kids happy while they were garage saling or something? Anyway, if you're having a garage sale, put out the stuffies!
Old 05-10-2007, 03:16 AM

keeep only the ones that live on the bed. the ones they sleep with.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1growingsprout View Post
let me just say I HATE STUFFED ANIMALS.... i think they reproduce in the night

i need to thin out our collection again

I think you might be right!!!

I got together one bag (easily) a couple of nights ago. Now, I've got another set I think I'd like to get rid of. But, DH doesn't want me to as they're some that I made (I crochet). Honestly at this point I am planning on salvation army. There are just too many around here. My oldest DD has one favorite...a care bear (bedtime bear). He was a thrift store find for pennies...I brought him home (he was like new) washed him and he's her favorite!

I am going to keep the ones that multitask (they have doodle bears they like to draw on), and otherwise everything that they just don't play with is GOING!

I am seriously running out of space. I am planning on adopting another cat...so I think it's time to purge even more stuff.

I just need to somehow get some more energy!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Old 05-10-2007, 07:18 PM

This is one of my to-dos for summer. Have the kids pick five favorites and be ruthless with the rest (of the ones we have stored in the basement . . . I'll let them keep their bed buddies). Maybe I'll pick five faves too.

I did sell a bunch at a yard sale one year . . . I was amazed at how many people bought them. One woman said they were for her dogs.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:13 AM

Due to this thread, I got up the courage and TOSSED that ugly fuzzy pillow tonight! HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY
Old 05-11-2007, 03:11 AM

I have a set number that are allowed. My DS has 6. They are on his nightstand. He plays with them quietly at bedtime until he falls asleep.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

Old 05-11-2007, 11:40 AM

actually we can't display them or have them in the play area but we give one to every child on admission (and an extra if they've had additional traumatic stuff done). Call your local pediatric floor and check!
Old 05-14-2007, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_sonja View Post
I was able to cut down on the gifts of stuffed animals using the (very true) allergy excuse. They become filled with dust mite, just like pillows. Very bad for kids (and parents) with allergies. Also, my cat will eat them, so it's a health hazard for him to have them around.

If the kids are attached to any, keep a few (let them choose) and donate the rest. Most thrift stores will accept them.
This is us. I had to spell it out to the family - please no stuffed toys because of dustmites etc. Purging the extras was actually harder for me. I was a stuffed animal junkie as a child and will admit I still have all of mine in my attic. But when I really looked at what my sons played with we ended up with one teddy bear (washable) per bed and 2 big stuffed toys they really liked in the playroom.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
MIL is a stuffed animal junkie, has literally rooms full. DH said he had a roomful as a kid. And she's trying to fill up DD's room. And that's JUST MIL.

Anyway, I have a "limit one per species" rule, with the exception of frogs, which are the decorative theme to DD's room, and Christmas and Easter stuffies, which I count as seasonal decorative items and store and bring out at the proper time of year. In addition to that we periodically go through and purge, I store any DD isn't interested in in the garage and that reminds me there are some out there she's totally forgotten existed that need to go to Goodwill.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Old 05-14-2007, 09:02 PM

Hospitals around here take them! But they usually want brand new. So if the animals are like new, and you don't have pets in the home - I'd think it'd be okay.

Well, this thread is inspiration. I have stuffed animals from MY own childhood still. I just like them because they are cute, that's the only reason! But why bother, when they are stuffed away in boxes upstairs? I'm going to give them away on FreeCycle or CraigsList this week.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Well, you know, just when you think your numbers are down. They start to "multiply" again.

DD had a birthday on Saturday...

She got:

plush doll
plush puppy
CPK halloween doll
3 care bears

That makes 6....right.

My DD Grace LOVES stuffed animals. She sleeps with 3-4 every night. Sigh.

Though, I did manage to get rid of a lot.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:17 PM

Could you wash them & give them to a homeless shelter? Children who have to leave with nothing but the clothes they're wearing if their mom leaves an abusive relationship sound like exactly the ones who need stuffed animals to hug & cuddle.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:24 PM

I have a Moses basket under his bed and DS gets to keep what fits in there after that we purge.

Usually I can sneak a few out of the room before the process and they are ones that are never used.

I just freecycle them. I've had a few ladies who sell crafts take them - they use them at shows to display doll clothes, etc. One lady made doll sized high chairs and wanted them for that.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofjojo View Post
Usually I can sneak a few out of the room before the process and they are ones that are never used.
I can sneak some out...that is generally what I do. Though, my "sneaking" is a process. I usually bad them up, then put them in our spare room. A few months go by. If they don't ask for them I figure they've forgotten : .

It is DEFINITELY time to get rid of more of them. I think though, I'll be waiting until next weekend though as I have the inlaws coming over. Especially if some of theirs are going to be going : .

Old 05-17-2007, 03:27 AM

Well, if you really want to get rid of them and pass on the good karma here are a few ideas:

Take them to your local police dept. They will give them to children in crisis situations as a source of comfort.

Take them to the local domestic violence shelter. (they can't tell you the location, but if you call them and tell them you have stuffed animals to drop off someone will come and meet you to pick them up)

I don't know if this would work for your area, but here in Hawaii there are alot of families living out on the beaches because of the exorbotant cost of living. My neighbor gathers up all the random stuffed animals from all the kids on our block every few months and passes them out to the children living out there. (she's a public health nurse)
Old 05-17-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy
I usually bad them up, then put them in our spare room. A few months go by. If they don't ask for them I figure they've forgotten.
DS loves all of his stuffed animals and refuses to part with any... so I do the sneaky thing, too. : He never asks for the missing ones, but I feel bad doing it. However, we DO NOT need all this crap, especially since we have allergies!!!! : : : :
Old 05-17-2007, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranberry View Post
DS loves all of his stuffed animals and refuses to part with any... so I do the sneaky thing, too. : He never asks for the missing ones, but I feel bad doing it. However, we DO NOT need all this crap, especially since we have allergies!!!! : : : :
For allergies one kind I actually feel sort of good about them having are the "doodle toys"...they have doodle bears and a doodle doll. I think they are great because they really love to draw on them. I admit...I like drawing on them with the girls as well : . Whenever the grandparents come over, we make sure they're all clean, then their grandparents draw on them with the girls. Both DH and I do as well.

Since they get washed so frequently I think they're likely low on the dust mites .

I did get my DD to agree to part with a coulpe last night which were mine when I was a little girl.

User Tag List