Bathing My Toddler Without a Tub? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 05-10-2007, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH, DS and I are downsizing from our little house to a probably even smaller apartment. It is temporary, but that could mean up to a year or two.

We're looking at apartments tomorrow, and some of them will probably not have tubs: just shower stalls. DS is 21 months.

Is there any kind of portable thing we can get to bathe him? (Links are welcome!) Does anyone bathe her/his babe in a shower stall at this age? We don't have too many options financially and I'm wondering if this is something we can work with, or if lack of a tub should be a reason for ruling out an apartment.

(Cross-posted in Toddlers... if there's a better place to post this, let me know please!)

There's me, DH, and the little guy (8/05). Expecting another little one 10/10! Hoping for a .
#2 of 22 Old 05-10-2007, 07:25 PM

I take my 2 year old into the shower with me sometimes when we don't have a lot of extra time. She doesn't love it, but it works in a pinch.
I bet there is some type of container you could put in the shower to use as a bathtub, though.

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#3 of 22 Old 05-10-2007, 07:25 PM

Well, my first thought was how does he do in the shower? If you think you'll do showers with him most of the time, you could think about a water sling like this: http://www.nurturedfamily.com/detail.aspx?ID=101 so he can shower with you.

You could also use a small wading pool (perfect time to find them!) or a big rubbermaid tote as a child's bathtub. I think he'd quickly get too big for a baby tub though.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#4 of 22 Old 05-10-2007, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, my son is just over a year old and loves taking showers with Daddy. We give baths too, but if a shower was my only option it wouldn't be a big deal.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#5 of 22 Old 05-10-2007, 07:27 PM

Babies and toddlers can take showers too! DH used to bathe both our kids this way when they were babies, and they loved it. He just held them. Then there's always the kitchen sink, which again, both girls love.
#6 of 22 Old 05-10-2007, 07:53 PM

We used to have a standing shower only. We took our kids in with us. When they were younger, they'd sit on our hips while we washed them. Sometimes I'd lean against the wall while squatting to wash them, then DH would be there to grab them out of the shower and dry them off.

A few times, we put a Rubbermaid bin on the bathroom floor, filled it with water, gave them a bath. Find a bin big enough and it works well!
#7 of 22 Old 05-10-2007, 08:06 PM

When we were in India last time, my first dd was just 12-15 months old. They don't use bath tubs other than a small baby tub for the smallest of infants. In fact, they didn't have a shower in some of the houses either. What we did was fill a bucket with warm water and pour it on her with a large cup with spout and handle, soap her down, pour some more. She enjoyed pouring, too. It's amazing how well even an adult can bathe with 1-2 gallons of water.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#8 of 22 Old 05-10-2007, 09:29 PM

My 2.5 year old takes showers with us. My older ones did too. That started when they were infants.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#9 of 22 Old 05-10-2007, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I used to use the baby tub on the shower floor. I'd turn on the shower to fill up the tub, then turn off the water and bathe him. We also gave him showers sometimes, it depended on our moods.

If you don't have a baby tub, or it won't fit in your shower, you can use any plastic tub that fits in your shower and your tot can fit inside- a rubbermaid storage tote without the lid, for example.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#10 of 22 Old 05-10-2007, 09:47 PM

Oh, and what helped us -- we got one of those shower heads you could take off of the wall with a hose. Very nice to have!
#11 of 22 Old 05-10-2007, 10:42 PM

I've always thought it was easier to clean my toddlers in the shower than in a bathtub.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#12 of 22 Old 05-10-2007, 11:01 PM

Our kids are water babies - bath or shower, they are there! Dd would freak if I tried to take a shower without her, so our Solarveil sling was in constant use until she was about 18 months old, when she finally would allow us to set her on the built in bench with ds. She loves it if we work outside as a family and get dirty - she'll take multiple showers with everyone.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#13 of 22 Old 05-10-2007, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

boheime, did you make the bench for the shower? Is it kiddy-sized? Wood? Plastic? Do tell!

There's me, DH, and the little guy (8/05). Expecting another little one 10/10! Hoping for a .
#14 of 22 Old 05-11-2007, 01:11 PM

My neice has always bathed in a large rubbermaid storage tote -- and she's 3 now. saves water, too.
#15 of 22 Old 05-11-2007, 01:19 PM

My kids all showered with me (the youngest still does). I would suggest getting grip strips or a non-slip mat for the shower floor. That way they can sit or stand more safely in the shower.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#16 of 22 Old 05-11-2007, 01:23 PM

From when DS was 16 month until 20 months we went on a cross country road trip, staying at many many motels with showers only. My DS loved the shower. I would give him a plastic bucket and he would catch water and dump it. Now that he is 3 on weekends I ask DP to take him outside to play because if he hears me turn on the shower he'll come running and some days mama wants the shower to herself.
#17 of 22 Old 05-11-2007, 01:29 PM

I brought my dd into the shower with me from a very young age. When she was 1 we moved to a place that only had a shower stall so she would either take a shower with me or I had a big rubbermaid tub that I put on the stall floor and filled. She loved her bathes. She bathed like this for a year.
#18 of 22 Old 05-11-2007, 02:07 PM

Our shower has a bench built into it. So, the wall comes out to make the bench and goes down from there. It is great for the kids to stand on, which is what we use it for most of the time. Although yesterday evening, after a very long week and day, my pregnant bum found itself sitting there while the water ran over me. It was nice. It's also convenient for shaving legs. Two of our bathrooms have showers like this and the other has a regular bathtub with a shower fixture in case you want to shower in the tub (it's not a huge house - it just has lots of bathrooms).

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#19 of 22 Old 05-11-2007, 04:28 PM

I didn't have a tub when DS was that age. Someone gave me an inflatable tub that fit in the bottom of the shower, but frankly a plastic or rubbermaid storage container would have worked as well (we used a dishpan at the beach when DS was 1 1/2 but by 2 I think he would have been to big).

Also, he's showered with me from day one (not anymore, he's 8 and would be horrified at the suggestion!), so that's an option. But sometimes they just want to sit and play in the bubbles! That's when the dishpan/inflatable tub came in handy.
#20 of 22 Old 05-11-2007, 08:01 PM

my 4 year old and two year old still love to bathe in the kitchen sink.
#21 of 22 Old 05-12-2007, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone, for the great suggestions! Ah, if only DS would fit in the kitchen sink! I'm going to use the shower with him in the new place (it likely will not have a tub), but I do want to get something big enough for him to splash about... since he loves doing that occasionally.

Now to find a tub that will fit him...

#22 of 22 Old 05-12-2007, 05:51 PM
Banned

My 2 year old loves to shower. She's been getting in the shower with DH or me forever, and started showering on her own (with one of us in the bathroom) several months ago.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page