Why does she keep buying us more crap?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 05-21-2007, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em T View Post
Oh, I try to do that all right. If it wasn't my original intention, being scarred for life after seeing the approximately 24"x 18" pink plastic unicorn with irridescent mane & tail that looked like polyester cotton candy given to C. by her other grandmother would have scared me straight on the spot!
Oh dear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 34 Old 05-21-2007, 07:48 PM

You can't begin to imagine how hideous it was AND with thin legs that looked like they'd break if someone looked at them!

The answer to the original question is they buy crap because they love the kids but don't or won't listen to pleas based on lack of space, philosophy or common sense. You can either grit your teeth & pitch the stuff out, try to appreciate the love expressed, or learn to laugh about it. Those are your only real choices if they don't get the message.
#33 of 34 Old 05-22-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee View Post
"We don't have room for this right now, but I'm sure DD could play with it here at your house."

We did this when my inlaws gave ds a huge clippity clop horse for his second Christmas. We said we would pick it up later (they live next door). We never picked it up.

My mom is really the one that goes overboard. She sends bags of junk home with ds everytime he visits. We just went over there Sat. to go through an entire room of nasty baby stuff that's 10-12 years old. There were 3 videos and a light bright that ds wanted to keep so it has to stay at her house. She wasn't there when we were, but she called when she got home and was pissed that we didn't take more stuff. There were a pair of light up pink shoes that were way too big for *me* and she couldn't believe that I wouldn't just save them in case I ever have a girl. : There were other really nasty, stained, and some scary looking things that she said she would just keep at her house.

I have a new rule with her, for every item that she sends here, I bring two to her house. It seems to be working well for me, and now she is complaining about the amount of plastic junk that she is having to store in her attic. I try to put my foot down about the no candy rule, but she doesn't get it. For Christmas she got ds this huge arcade type game that was full of candy and noisy. I let him play with it here for a few weeks and then when he got tired of it I sent it to her house. I'm going to continue to do that. I was cleaning out my closet over the weekend and found tons of new gifts (still in the package) that she gave me that I don't want, but she would have a fit if she knew I got rid of so I'm thinking of boxing up everything and seeing if she wants it back. I feel really ungrateful doing this though. She is unable to show her love so she buys things. I got rid of the aluminum cookware that she gave me when I got married and she told me she could just kill me for getting rid of it. She has also threatened to kill me if I get rid of other things she buys. : So now I just get rid of things and don't tell her.
#34 of 34 Old 05-22-2007, 03:19 PM

My ils do this too. They used to come over every Sunday with a bag of stuff for dd. First thing I didn't like was that she came to expect a bag every Sunday and would be upset and couldn't understand when they didn't bring a bag. I finally got them to at least get a healthy snack and something that she could use and be done with. They also aren't here every week anymore so that helps too.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page