Show me your uber small kitchen.. please. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 05-18-2007, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We found a home but the kitchen is much smaller than any kitchen we've had before. I'm trying to invision how this will work.

So if you have what you think is a small kitchen, I'd LOVE to see pictures. I'm just trying to tell myself it is doable. I KNOW it is, but going from a large kitchen to this small one will be difficult at first.. in regards to having room for cooking elaborate dinners (which I do occasionally).
#2 of 32 Old 05-18-2007, 06:18 PM

My kitchen is pretty big but my MIL's has very little counter space. She will usually chop stuff at the kitchen table instead.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#3 of 32 Old 05-18-2007, 06:28 PM

I had a very small old (1850s) kitchen a few years ago. Think walk in closet. The frigde was in the living room! Something that helped a lot was having the woodboard counter that you could pull down from the wall. We also did a lot at the table. To me it is really minimzing kitchen equiptment and being organized that makes it work. I think all we had was the very basics pot/pans/knives/mixing bowls/cooking utensils and a blender.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#4 of 32 Old 05-20-2007, 09:05 PM

hey momma~ my kitchen is rather small (to me). I've totally made it work though. I cook large dinners for family often! You can definately make do with a small kitchen. We have 2 lower cabinets (i keep dry goods, and small appliances in these) and 1 under the sink cabinet (i store light bulbs, trash bags, paper and plastic bags, ziploc baggies, etc. I also have three over head cabinets where I keep glasses, plates, spices, and a few more small appliances. My kitchen is one small square with a door on three out of the four walls. See pics below

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...cs/baby134.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...cs/baby138.jpg

Lee Ann ~ SAHM to Carolina(4)uc.jpg, Aurora (2)uc.jpg, and belly.gifwith #3 - due in December!
#5 of 32 Old 05-20-2007, 09:33 PM

wrong post

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#6 of 32 Old 06-10-2007, 01:19 AM

I know this is a little old, but I just saw it. I agree with organization.

My first apartment had a walk in closet kitchen...it was a little (& I mean little) L. I had one little counter space & oven, turn sink & fridge. I did one of those grid things you can hang on the wall & then hang stuff off of it.

My kitchen is now bigger, but not very large. Organization is still the key. I only keep out what I need & I store stuff away that I use once or twice a year (like the large roasting or lasagna pans) in the basement. I also have a book shelf set up at the bottom of the basement stairs that has canned goods.

Definitely check out ikea too. They're masters of the small space!
#7 of 32 Old 06-10-2007, 12:36 PM

I keep stuff I don't use often in another room. I have an armoire and freezer in my office for additional storage. I had a laundry room between the dining room and kitchen, so we moved the washer and dryer to the back porch and installed a sink and dishwasher in the old laundry room, since there was already plumbing there. That way we can clear the table right to this dishwashing area and not clutter up the limited counter space in the little kitchen.
#8 of 32 Old 06-10-2007, 02:39 PM

I don't have any pictures, but my two previous apartments had really small kitchens.

First apartment was a studio in a vintage 1920s apartment building in a Chicago neighborhood near the lake. The landlords at some time in the past screwed a large piece of pegboard to the wall and painted it to match the walls. I just went to the hardware store and got some hooks for it.

The second apartment was a raised basement apartment in a c.1917 house. I went to Ikea and got the following:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...0103&langId=-1

I had one of the bars near the stove with a basket for cooking utensils. I had a freestanding kitchen cabinet (that I got at Target for $100) because I had little cupboard space. Above it, at head level (I'm 5'5") I hung another of the bars with hooks for colander, stand mixer attachments, kitchen towels/potholders, etc.. Above this I had one of the shelves for my pots. Next to that was a wall mounted pot lid rack. It was well-worth the money!

lady.gif
#9 of 32 Old 06-10-2007, 09:49 PM

I would say we have a pretty small kitchen, but we have a large island which helps tremendously! We utilize every space we have though. It looks bigger because it is part of our big "great room" so there are only walls on two sides of the kitchen.

Here is a pic. You can also scroll through that set to see more.

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
#10 of 32 Old 06-10-2007, 10:15 PM

I second the idea of storage in another room, back porch, garage ect.
A wire shelf or any book case in another space could be draped with a curtain and hold dishes, food, baskets of items. I would even keep some things in totes and only bring out what you are going to use at that time.

My mom uses her oven to storage her pans and bakeware when it isnt being used.
My friend's Grandmother changed her hall linen closet into a pantry-it is far from the kitchen but it works for her.
#11 of 32 Old 06-12-2007, 07:59 PM

Mum2be, what a gorgeous home! I absolutely love it.

We have a pretty small kitchen, and we definitely store stuff in another room. All our cans and dried beans are in the basement along with pans we use infrequently (cake pans, extra pie dishes, and so on) and other kitchen things we don't need all the time. I end up going down there pretty much every day, but it's not that far, and it's worth it to me to be able to have more stuff than would fit in our few cupboards!

There are two things we've done that help make our kitchen more useful. The first is that we added extra shelves inside most of our upper cabinets. This made them a lot more useful and eliminated a lot of the dead space above stacks of dishes. Plus, now things aren't stacked as high, and it's way easier to get things in and out.

The other thing that really helps us is to use pull-out wood cutting boards. We have a few of them built in above the drawers. We pull them out to use as extra counter space all the time, plus they make convenient landing spots for pans hot out of the oven.
#12 of 32 Old 06-12-2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday View Post
There are two things we've done that help make our kitchen more useful. The first is that we added extra shelves inside most of our upper cabinets. This made them a lot more useful and eliminated a lot of the dead space above stacks of dishes. Plus, now things aren't stacked as high, and it's way easier to get things in and out.
How did you add shelves? Did you put in new brackets? Do tell. I'm pondering this process for fall's project.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#13 of 32 Old 06-12-2007, 11:44 PM

Our shelves are held up on little pegs that stick into holes in the side of the cupboard. I had to drill one or two new sets of holes, but there were already holes in most locations I wanted. I got new peg supports at a home store. I had the home store cut the shelves to the right length, and then I had DH trim them width-wise. It was an easy job to put them in - just took out the old shelves and redistributed them closer together and added the new ones at the top (about two shelves per cabinet for us). They make a huge difference for us!
#14 of 32 Old 06-12-2007, 11:53 PM

Ours is about 7x10. Here's a pic:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12565396@N00/543287802/

We have cabinet space but no pantry space. I just store things in the hall closet. I hate, hate, hate it.
#15 of 32 Old 06-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Banned

my kitchen is essentially a 1/2 galley or a 7 shape. it's very small. works fine for us. you just have to stay organized.

i have pictures somewhere, but have no idea how to attach them.
#16 of 32 Old 06-13-2007, 04:57 PM

Here's a link to a gallery of my uber small kitchen -- it is almost the size of a postage stamp. We have 3 adults and, soon, 2 babies living in this apartment. We have no dishwasher (unless you count my wife!), and barely enough space for two people to work quasi-comfortably. We have fit all three of us in the kitchen at once, but that usually requires a good amount of cooperation and communication, especially when dealing with knife usage and moving hot pots around.

http://www.kettukeiju.com/gallery/th...eme=water_drop

Staying organized, finding/creating storage space, and paring down to necessities are all extremely helpful.
#17 of 32 Old 06-14-2007, 06:07 PM

We have often had really small kitchens. We gave dh's microwave away when we were married, which has always afforded us more space than otherwise. I hate microwaving food, so we didn't keep it.

Our small appliances are few- a blender, a coffee bean grinder and a toaster- that's it. All metal pots/pans/trays are kept in the oven drawer and we make ample use of above cupboards and fridge if possible. We also only keep eneough dished for all of us for one meal, so dishes always have to be washed after a meal, but I think it's simpler that way.

I would love to have shelving in a kitchen for spices, and hanging racks for the utensils I use everyday, but have never had enough wall or ceiling space. Right now we have nails directly under the cupboards and I hang our ladle, flipper, metal sieve, and metal grater up there right beside the stove. This means that I only use one drawer for all flatwear and wooden spoons, can opener, peeler and knives.

Our biggest difficulty until recently has been that I always have a drying rack beside the sink (because there's never enough time between meals for everything to dry), the counter space is seriously reduced. I can't think of a solution to that one other than going through gads of towels for drying every day. We have enough space now though, so it isn't a problem.

Oh, in our smallest kitchen, we put a little table there for meals, since there was no dining room either, and we put our toaster against the wall and put a tea tray with legs over it to store our tea, spices, pepper mill and kettle-which we don't have anymore. The tea tray has come in handy many times since on the counter because it's like a shelf, but you can move it if you need the space and just put it on top of the stove or in a closet if you have to, without reorganising.

That's all I've got

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#18 of 32 Old 06-15-2007, 06:35 AM

Here's ours. It's small, but we have enough space for everything. And we have more than one spoon and dish for everyone! I took the pics on a messy day, it normally doesn't look like this! Really.

Kitchen to the left, counter etc.
http://home.wanadoo.nl/x.r.kooter/Kitchen1.jpg

Kitchen to the right, fridge, closet, microwave
http://home.wanadoo.nl/x.r.kooter/Kitchen2.jpg

Kitchen behind me, door to the hallway and storage.
http://home.wanadoo.nl/x.r.kooter/Kitchen3.jpg

Our kitchen's from IKEA.

Christine, SAHM to DD ('05), DS1 ('07) and : DS2 ('09)
#19 of 32 Old 06-15-2007, 09:55 AM

Our last house had a tiny kitchen. The biggest sanity-saver was to keep the counters totally clear so that we could use every bit of work space. I didn't leave any appliances out. Our hall closet had enough room for a set of shelves, so we stored some kitchen stuff there, like the appliances. Anything we didn't really need, I either packed into storage or gave away.

We used the kitchen table for a lot of prep work, setting things to get them out of the way during food prep, etc.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#20 of 32 Old 06-16-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcanother View Post
We found a home but the kitchen is much smaller than any kitchen we've had before. I'm trying to invision how this will work.

So if you have what you think is a small kitchen, I'd LOVE to see pictures. I'm just trying to tell myself it is doable. I KNOW it is, but going from a large kitchen to this small one will be difficult at first.. in regards to having room for cooking elaborate dinners (which I do occasionally).
We have a small Kitchen. Over the years we have gone from big to medium so small to big to small... you get the picture. We move alot

It's save to say that our current kitchen is the smallest. And so far I like this one the best. Not because it is small but because I have decluttered like never before. I really only have the things in there that i use all the time. And it works great. There is a pantry next to the kitchen. But because it gets to hot in there to store food because of the heating and water pipes going throught the floor, all we store in there is an upright freezer (not the best place in the house but the only one doable) and a shelf with cake pans and freezer containers, the toaster (we dont use it often) our recycling containers and the like. Works great for us.

Here are some pictures...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1104/...088217.jpg?v=0

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1248/...f5228e.jpg?v=0

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1169/...dcc599.jpg?v=0

Maybe this will give you some ideas...
#21 of 32 Old 06-17-2007, 03:21 AM

I love my little kitchen! It keeps me on my toes with cleaning up, as I don't have space to leave anything out for longer than it needs to be. Dishes go straight into the sink, or dishwasher. Food goes immediately back into the cupboard or fridge.
I have plenty of space for storing dishes, bake ware, pans etc. I did have a huge declutter though when we moved into the house. Now I only have what I really need.
I also have a large counter area which is great when preparing meals.

Here are a few photos. Ignore the lack of blinds, and decor. We're getting ready to paint!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ure033_web.jpg
There is a little pantry directly opposite the fridge which really helps with food storage.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ure031_web.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ure035_web.jpg
I bought this little rolling cart to store pots, and pans, and it also holds recipe folders in the drawer, and a basket full of kitchen towels, as well as the fruit bowl.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/2lilbugs/Picture037_web.jpg

Julie Married to my sweetheart
Mama to DD (8) DS (7) & DS (1)

#22 of 32 Old 06-17-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWin View Post
Here's ours. It's small, but we have enough space for everything. And we have more than one spoon and dish for everyone! I took the pics on a messy day, it normally doesn't look like this! Really.

Kitchen to the left, counter etc.
http://home.wanadoo.nl/x.r.kooter/Kitchen1.jpg

Kitchen to the right, fridge, closet, microwave
http://home.wanadoo.nl/x.r.kooter/Kitchen2.jpg

Kitchen behind me, door to the hallway and storage.
http://home.wanadoo.nl/x.r.kooter/Kitchen3.jpg

Our kitchen's from IKEA.

What's the huge thing above your sink in picture 1? A water purifier?
#23 of 32 Old 06-17-2007, 03:08 PM

Some of you have great kitchens. And space I wish I had! Some of you have full size fridges. I am jealous. I hate my small fridge. I feel like it is stuffed all of the time. My kitchen has room for one person at a time. It is very narrow. There is no real counter space (one side, cabinet sized is for my drying rack and drying dishes and the other is the same size and is used for everything else). I never thought of sitting at the table to chop, and I think I will try that. I agree with keeping as much off the counters as well. I finally have one counter free and clear and the one with the dish rack.

It has really small, bad cabinets. And only 6 normal sizes ones and 2 small ones. They are short and shallow and hold very little. I had to really purge everything kitchen related I did not used and need. I have 2 small drawers that barely hold anything. I have high ceilings so potentially there could be fantastic space, but there is not. I am in a rental and did not have much money so I bought wood, cut it and made shelves.

Before shelves
My kitchen
View from the dining/living area

I had bookcases for storage, and they were really inefficient. I got rid of the bookcases and put shelves in. It is not the prettiest, but at least there is a place for food now. I have moved it all around since this photo was taken, but you get the idea. I want to stain the shelves at some point.
Shelves

I can recommend hanging as much as possible. I hang things like utensils I use a lot.

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#24 of 32 Old 06-17-2007, 06:30 PM

Here is our tiny kitchen. I've posted notes next to the photos.

http://freespiritmama.vox.com/
#25 of 32 Old 06-18-2007, 01:37 AM

We have a very small kitchen, big enough for two closely related adults to stand in, but not much more. There is no pantry space, just cabinets, and our refridgerator is not big.

One thing we did at first which we turned out to like was ditch the microwave. They are such counter-space hogs! Then we found that we could put in above-stove microwave for not that much money because somebody was freecycling a white one, which matched our white appliances. So, we installed that. It's a huge space-saver, having an above-the-stove microwave.

Basically our goal is to leave the counters as free as possible. So, we hung as much up as possible. We also built a spice rack into the wall. We keep very few electrical appliances on the counter, just a coffee maker and my food processor.

It was hard to adjust at first but now I'm so used to it that I don't even think about it. Our family rule is to keep the counters clear, and we all do it automatically now.
#26 of 32 Old 06-18-2007, 01:58 AM

Stand back......... they don't get smaller than this.
Of course we live on a boat... and these pics were taken BEFORE we moved in, so it doesn't show the STUFF. But you get the idea.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...108Abt2zZwzYtv

(you can see both sides here and why we call it a "one butt kitchen")

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#27 of 32 Old 06-18-2007, 07:19 AM

Boatbaby - I was thinking about you with this thread & wondering if you would post. Do you do a fair amount of cooking in there?
#28 of 32 Old 06-18-2007, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu's mama View Post
What's the huge thing above your sink in picture 1? A water purifier?

No no, it's a water boiler, it holds our warm water.

Christine, SAHM to DD ('05), DS1 ('07) and : DS2 ('09)
#29 of 32 Old 06-18-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu's mama View Post
Boatbaby - I was thinking about you with this thread & wondering if you would post. Do you do a fair amount of cooking in there?
Well I manage to feed my family and friends -- but in general I don't like to cook. I was never into cooking though -- just into eating

The biggest challenge is entertaining. We just had DS's 3rd birthday party this weekend. There was NO WAY to make stuff like salads and such ahead of time for the party. So I went to a friend's house and cooked there the day before and she kept it all in her fridge and brought it on party day.

Right now we don't even really have a real fridge. We have a small "dorm room style" fridge and in the winter it's no problem b/c I just use the outdoors. But this time of year it's a bear to keep fresh food. I broke our original fridge (which was only a hair larger) and we're saving and planning for a new one (custom marine fridges are $$$)

No dish washer obviously, we conserve water, small 3 burner stove top, SMALL oven.

We have a nice huge freezer up in the salon, so that helps. But... it's still challenging.

The pay off is the view

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#30 of 32 Old 06-19-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be
I would say we have a pretty small kitchen, but we have a large island which helps tremendously! We utilize every space we have though. It looks bigger because it is part of our big "great room" so there are only walls on two sides of the kitchen.

Here is a pic. You can also scroll through that set to see more.
What an amazing house! So beautiful.

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page