Moving tips? UHaul/self svc movers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-20-2007, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
Lou

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're moving from Seattle to Texas in six weeks. Would love some advice...

What we're thinking is that the moving costs may be more than our furniture is worth! Most of our furniture is secondhand/hand me downs that we don't love, so we're planning to sell what we can.. which will really be most of our big furniture pieces. That will leave us with minimal furniture- basically two dressers, one computer cabinet, one large trunk, one end table, one kitchen cabinet, two playstands and a wooden kitchen... not much at all. MAYBE our queen bed, if we can't sell it at a good price. Other than that, it'd be boxes of our clothing, books, and kitchen stuff. So we might be able to pull off getting our stuff in only one pod.

We're not sure if we should go with the self service moving option- we're looking at U-Pack.com, and posted for bids at UShip. If we had our stuff moved, we'd be able to travel to Texas and have a family vacation at the same time, enjoy the trip with the kids. The movers' cost may be the same or less as renting an U-Haul and paying for the gas! Freaking gas costs these days. :

Thoughts?? Been there, done that? Recommend any moving companies?

We'd be staying with my folks for six weeks- saving two months' of rent, which could go toward buying replacement furniture. We're really good at finding good quality stuff for cheap. We're moving to Austin which has an Ikea, an active freecycle group, craigslist, and tons of thrift shops.
#2 of 3 Old 05-20-2007, 09:46 PM

We moved from Wyoming to Washington. We ended up renting a moving truck and a car trailer. It cost me $3000 for that distance. I checked into having someone else move it and it would have cost twice that much. We used Penske becasue it was cheaper. If you do decide to move yourself, watch the prices. They fluctuate greatly.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#3 of 3 Old 05-20-2007, 10:41 PM

We just moved (within the same state, not cross country). My big suggestion would be to move during the week if at all possible. We looked at rates for Uhaul, Penske and Budget trucks. Rates were similar for all of these. During the week (Mon-Thurs), milage was $0.59/mile. During the weekend (Fri-Sun), milage was $0.99/mile. I would imagine that extra $0.40/mile would really add up for a cross-country drive.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page