Mothering Forum banner

Goodwill vs eBay vs TP vs Freecycle vs trash

2K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  polyhymnia 
#1 ·
Are there guidelines anywhere for what types of items are most suitable for the above places, when decluttering?

I know Goodwill takes used items - but *how* used? No rips or stains in clothes, I assume, but what about stuffed animals that are obviously not NEW but don't have stains/rips/tears? What about toiletries that haven't been opened? What about single items from what used to be a multipack (ie two vacuum cleaner bags)?

I have never used Freecycle before - I tried googling but I'm not sure I did it right. Is it just a mailing list? For some reason I thought it was a message board too.

I'm thinking I can't be bothered with eBay because I have heard that the listings fees are now outrageous. Can anyone confirm? What types of items do well on eBay? I have used it before to sell scrapbooking stuff I didn't want anymore and old electronics but I am not sure if I'd do well anymore without having an official "store", etc. So maybe the TP here would be a good place for things like clothes/household stuff, but I am not sure it's worth the hassle of shipping.

Finally - I know some things will just be thrown away. I am trying to avoid this with things that are still "good" or have life left in them but I don't know exactly where to draw that line.

So I am hoping someone has links, advice, etc. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I find with ebay it's worth it to search for what you are tryig to sell and look at completed items to see what others have sold for. That way I determine if it's worth it for me to try to sell it there.

You are right about Goodwill, no rips, stains, tears, but faded or wear from washing is usually ok.

For stuffed animals check to see if you local police or fire station will take them. A lot of them give them to kids to help calm them down accept them as donations.

I've never done freecycle so I'm not sure about that.

#3 ·
Freecycle is both a message board or an email list, but the replies go to your email not to the message board. I prefer to work via email, it's just eaiser that way.

What I do when I'm decluttering is throw everything into a huge box and post a message like this.

OFFER: Huge box of misc stuff - Your Location USA

I have a big box of stuff to offer, includes some women's clothes, some stuffed animals, some bathroom items and much more. MUST TAKE ALL. Re-freecycle what you don't want/need.

I don't deal with eBay anymore unless I know it's something that will sell well.

Craigslist.org is a good alternative to eBay.

#5 ·
don't know about goodwill, but there is a local thrift store here, church based that bales clothing and sells it if it is stained, ripped or has 'offisive logos' on it. Might want to check with your goodwill or thrift to see if they do that also to keep that little bit of clothing out of landfills.

freecycle is pretty cool, each area, location has different rules, so should check to see if certain items are banned for the one you post on (around here it's more about pets and animals) the thing with freecycle is everything is totally free, can't list for sale stuff there or want to trade items. It's more hastle in a way because I don't want strangers to come to my home so I arrange a pickup loction and time in a public place. If you had stuff that was big like furnature then this is even harder.

At one time I had a 'problem' letting go of stuff because I felt bad because it had value and I could be helping our family by actually selling it and making money, even if it was only a little bit, even a dime or quarter at a yard-sale, I finally gave-up on that, it was not worth it, had too many piles so I just started giving things away, felt much better about having things gone.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sabrinat View Post

OT: what's with all the banned becuz...tags in the signature. I feel like I arrived late to something and don't get the inside joke.
That was something from April Fools Day but I don't get it either because I wasn't banned either.

For the OP, our Goodwill pretty much takes anything in decent condition, I mean it could be toys or books or clothes or toiletries or whatever. And yes I've seen multipacks of things with some of the stuff missing that was being sold like diapers, playtex drop ins, etc. If you want to sell clothes on Ebay you might do okay selling a large lot of the same size clothes in each auction-- people can bid pretty high sometimes on large lots. It's not a ton of money but it's something.

#7 ·
I very, very rarely sell anything- it's just not worth my time and energy. The nicer stuff that I could probably get money for I give to a certain family in my community that I know appreciates it- I can't afford to give money to charity but this is something I'm able to give. Anything I do sell, I offer on the TP here before even considering eBay.

Lots of stuff I bring to my local thrift store- the closest one happens to be a for-profit store, not Goodwill. Or I collect it for my cousin's synagogue who are donating stuff to a needy community one county over. That's actually a PITA, because I need to give the stuff to my aunt or drive over to a synagogue I have no other reason to go to, making sure somebody is there at the time, etc, vs just taking the stuff to the thrift store when they're open. Declutter, put bags in car, drop them off next time I'm out doing errands.

I use Freecycle for bulkier items that are easier to leave on my front porch for pickup than to have to schlepp anywhere.

#8 ·
Thanks everyone. That helps. Goodwill is our default for donations because they have a drop off point a few blocks away. I will ask at the local church as well though. I should have clarified that I am not necessarily concerned about making money, but I hate to throw things away that are still useful and I don't want to PAY to get rid of stuff if I can help it (ie sell for less than shipping). There is some good info here that will help me sort through things. That "box of misc stuff" is a good idea too!

#9 ·
Homeless shelters/ domestic violence shelters can often use toiletries/cleaning supplies.

Our community has a short term emergency aid program that is always in need of sheets/towels/play clothes/work clothes/beds/mattresses.

Our neighbor does in house occupational therapy for kids. I give her books, clothes, toys as she goes to homes where the kids have nothing.

There may be a source for recycling clothes near you- ask your local thrift store. For a while our local thrift store would take unusable clothing and sell it for recycling but they stopped doing this.

#10 ·
Pet shelters/SPCA/etc. can use raggedy or stained towels,pillow cases or sheets to put in animal cages.

Another source is Big Brothers/Bit Sisters & Purple Heart Veterans. They have trucks & periodically will come pick up items at your address.

Ebay listing fees aren't too outrageous. Normally I start my auctions at $3.50, $4.50 or $4.99, in that range & the fee is .40. If you're selling clothes in lots that can be very cost effective. People like to get several things at once for one shipping cost.

#12 ·
I don't know about where you all live, but at our transfer station/recycling center, we have a "swap shop" that takes anything in decent shape. You can leave and take things for free. Our town newsletter comes out once a month with info on what they are looking for- this month is maternity and kids clothing, kitchen stuff, and tools. It is a good way to get rid of stuff. I have been a bit sore at the salvation army and goodwill because their prices have gone through the roof on some stuff. I mean, $7.99 for used jeans? I would rather give it to the swap shop that gives it away.

#13 ·
I love Cragislist and posting is free. This past month I sold a box of barbies (in boxes) for $50 and a dog crate for $20. Great deal for me for the little effort I put in. My neighbor garbage picked a slide a few weeks ago (one of those tall ones that attaches to a wooden structure) and sold it on Craigslist for $20. I kicked myself when I heard as I saw that slide. Oh well, next time I know! Craigslist is popular here in Madison and I would think you'd have luck in Seattle as well. Best of all- no shipping!
However, freecycle is a great friend of mine as well. I can just leave something on my porch and not even worry about being home. However, no money earned. I had a great month because I got a new crate on freecycle that is easily worth $150. I tried to freecycle the crate that I didn't need, but when nobody took it I tried to sell it on Craigslist and it worked. Sometimes assigning a value to things makes them more desireable.

#14 ·
I've sold a few things on ebay, but basically just books. I have tons of stuff in my trunk we need to get rid of. We're going to drop it by a thrift store by some friends house this evening. I'll just be glad to get it out of my car, I don't care if I get a receipt or not!

#15 ·
To the OP, IMO ebay is a hastle, lots of crazy people, not worth it unless you're selling something real expensive.
Goodwill, call and ask what they will and will not accept.
Different charities take different items, for example a local charity near me will NOT take any kind of toys, only clothing, housewares, small furniture items

Freecycle: the BEST place to get rid of items a charity will not take. IE I had a file cabinet that no charity wanted. Someone from the freecycle list came for it. Freecycle is ALSO good for giving away, damaged, broken, type items that charities won't take either. A good way to avoid it going to a landfill somewhere. I have given away pretty used up fuzzibunz, sort of working electronics.

#16 ·
Goodwill is a great, easy option. They take most anything other than big appliances, mattressess, and broken items, chemicals, paint, that sort of thing. And you do get a receipt for deducting on your taxes.
I like freecycle, I would think you can just google it for the link in your area.
Craigslist is awesome! I buy and sell things on there all the time!

#17 ·
With regard to TP or ebay, keep in mind that those things both take some work.

Selling a pair of kid's jeans (for example) on ebay, IMO is hardly worth it, if it means you're going to spend possibly an hour or more taking the picture, setting up the auction, checking ebay multiple times, packaging the jeans and running to the post office... (if they even sell). All for what - $5? Would you take a job that paid less than $5 an hour?

The joy of giving (and I'm not just being corny) and the feeling of "wahooo!" I get from just gathering stuff together and giving them to Goodwill is enough for me.

We are planning a tagsale for later in the summer, but mostly for bigger things - large toys, really nice clothes, hi-quality books, exercise equipment, etc.

#18 ·
Family homeless shelters, refuges for battered women & animal shelters can all use donations all the time. Even raggedy towels, sheets & other linens are welcome to line crates & cages for animal places. Makeup, perfume & toiletry samples are great for those in safe houses for abused women, so keep that in mind as you declutter.

#19 ·
Thank you everyone for your advice. I ended up taking a bunch of miscellaneous stuff to Goodwill. They took everything but the curtain rods. So, I just ended up throwing those away. I hated to do it but I didn't have room to store them and we are not allowed to leave things out on our patios so the Freecycle idea didn't work. Then I used Craigslist and sold my mother's old chest freezer for her for $40!!! And our old Tv/stand for $70! I was very pleased with that. It went really well. I will be sorting through the linen closet soon and will keep shelters in mind for old towels, sheets, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.