I need some encouragement! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-25-2007, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay....I have 2 boys ages 4.5 and 3.5 and expecting a girl in Oct (ultrasound was pretty clear! - but I'll keep a few blue sleepers just in case).

I don't want to keep all these boy's clothes until if and when we might have/adopt another boy. And I've been given boxes of girls clothes already to sort through and decide what to keep.

So my plan for today was to
1.make a box of 18 month-2T clothes for my godson for the fall/winter and other outfits in larger sizes that are still good.
2. make a box of 12-18 months fall/winter boy clothes for the friend who gave me all the girls clothes (already gave her spring/summer items)
3. keep only the girl clothes I absolutely love...I know I will be getting many more gifts from family. Plus, I know I prefer cotton one-piece sleepers for the first 6 months or so, so why keep all the assorted long sleeve onesies, various shades of pink pants, etc.
4. Put everything I am not going to keep in bags and boxes to give to our sweet cleaning ladies who will give to local friends and family or share with relatives in Bolivia.

I do believe that I shouldn't hoard, and that I will be blessed in return if and when I need things if I am generous and share with others.
So why is this so hard? I pick up a cute shirt or a cute onesie and say "well, she MIGHT wear this..." So, I just need some encouragement....I think part of the problem is my mom kept EVERYTHING and I never had an example of doing this. Another thing is I am trying to be frugal so I would hate to have to buy some of this stuff again in the future. Storage is not a problem...we have a big house - but it weighs on my mind that it is all sitting in closets when it could be being used.

Doesn't this sound reasonable for the first 6-9 months or so?
10 NB gowns, sleepers
10 0-3 months sleepers - 2 or 3 special outfits, winter bunting
10 3-6 month sleepers, 2 or 3 special outfits, winter bunting
10 6-9 month sleepers, rompers, couple outfits of separates, 2-3 special outfits
This baby will wear CD so I have pretty good idea of which outfits won't work with cloth...I need to just pass those along so matter how cute they are!

Right? :
#2 of 4 Old 05-26-2007, 12:24 PM

if the outfits don't work with cd......move em on....you will never reach for them.....
the list of what to keep looks like it will work.....good luck mama!
don't have much time to reply...but wanted to reply even if it was short.
#3 of 4 Old 05-26-2007, 06:50 PM

Yes, get rid of anything that won't fit with CD's. I might keep a few more than 10 outfits for the small sizes just in case of blowouts (although we didn't have too many with CD's) or if your baby ends up being a spitter (like my DS~ I was not prepared for that). If you find you're not reaching for them, you can always give them away then. Unless you don't have the space for them, then pass them on now of course.

And when I say smaller sizes, for me that means 3-6 mo because my DS was over 10 lbs at birth so he wore the 0-3 for only 2-3 weeks and we did only have 6-7 outfits for him in that size. I'd say it depends on how much laundry you or DH want to be doing right away also.
#4 of 4 Old 05-26-2007, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies...I'm about 75% done. Two huge boxes and a huge bag are going to church with us tomorrow to give to godson's mom and more will be dropped off at a friend's on Monday.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page