What are your summer decluttering goals? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 28 Old 05-27-2007, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I need to have a goal in order to do anything. My main goal this summer is to get as undecluttered as I can during the summer. But in order to do that I have to have mini goals. So my goals this summer are:

1. Clear out the garage...gonna take a lot of work, especially convincing my DH to part with anything.
2. Downsize the clothing in the house. I do way to much laundry and it is my most dreaded chore.
3. Cull the books. I can always visit the library.
4. Cull the board games and puzzles. I think that 2 closets full is more than enough. I want to get it down to 2 shelves.
5. Organize my desk area. I will be going back to school this fall and would like a nice, neat area.
6. Toys....we have way to many. I want it down to whatever can fit into a medium size bin.

I have more, but I am feeling a decluttering moment coming on so I'm going to take atvantage of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 05-28-2007, 12:34 AM
nym

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Get rid of more clothes. Fit all extras that I took from the storage unit into 2 boxes. uhm... maybe reduce my paperwork. maybe

I dont have much to do really
#3 of 28 Old 05-28-2007, 08:50 AM

*Declutter/organize the toys & games.
*Declutter/organize kitchen closet
*Organize/sort through photos. Put them all in one place
*Organize/clean spare room
*Organize/clean large bedroom closet

Jenny, proud maker of red things

#4 of 28 Old 05-28-2007, 11:24 AM

We're moving from a 3 bdr, 3 story house to a 2 bdr, teensy tiny apartment this summer, so my summer decluttering goals are pretty intense. I can't function without wide, open and airy spaces, so we really need to get rid of a lot of stuff in order to accomplish that in the apartment. My goals are to:

1) Box up everything that we don't need/use. Sell it in a yard sale, and donate whatever doesn't sell.

2) Any money that we make at the yard sale will go towards purchasing a few storage solutions for the apartment. We have to put two kids in one room, that will double as a playroom, and I have no idea how to accomplish this without covering the entire surface of the room with furniture. : Right now, they're in seperate rooms, and have over half of the lower floor as their playroom.

3) Anything that we need to keep (nearly brand new washer and dryer, for example) but can't take to the apartment, we're going to pack up and take to FIL's farm to store for the time being.

It's going to be an intense couple of months. We've already started. I managed to get rid of 6 more boxes from the playroom. That's about 15 boxes of toys since I started decluttering in January. Insane!
#5 of 28 Old 05-28-2007, 11:35 AM

1. Declutter paper piles.
2. Organize/declutter schoolroom
3. Go threw EVERYTHING in DSs closets - donate, give away, or lend all outgrown clothes and shoes.
4. Clean Out master bedroom closet/get rid of probably 80-90% of the stuff.
5. Put 0-3 and 3-6 month baby clothes in small dresser. Set up changing area.
6. Organize pictures
7. Reduce toys in preparation for birthdays and Christmas.

And that is just to start. I'm nesting early.
#6 of 28 Old 05-28-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Nikki~ View Post
We're moving from a 3 bdr, 3 story house to a 2 bdr, teensy tiny apartment this summer, so my summer decluttering goals are pretty intense. I can't function without wide, open and airy spaces, so we really need to get rid of a lot of stuff in order to accomplish that in the apartment. My goals are to:

1) Box up everything that we don't need/use. Sell it in a yard sale, and donate whatever doesn't sell.

2) Any money that we make at the yard sale will go towards purchasing a few storage solutions for the apartment. We have to put two kids in one room, that will double as a playroom, and I have no idea how to accomplish this without covering the entire surface of the room with furniture. : Right now, they're in seperate rooms, and have over half of the lower floor as their playroom.

3) Anything that we need to keep (nearly brand new washer and dryer, for example) but can't take to the apartment, we're going to pack up and take to FIL's farm to store for the time being.

It's going to be an intense couple of months. We've already started. I managed to get rid of 6 more boxes from the playroom. That's about 15 boxes of toys since I started decluttering in January. Insane!
I don't know if you're near an IKEA or not or how old your children are, but a friend of mine has these for her children (she has five children in a three bedroom house) and the older kid in the boy room & the girl room have this (the older kids are a 10 yo boy and a 8 yo girl, who share with a 5 yo brother and a 4 yo sister, respectively):

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...mber=S59819490

Don't know if they fit your budget, but they are good and sturdy. My friends took the canopy off. The kids have enough room underneath for a desk and other playroom.

lady.gif
#7 of 28 Old 05-28-2007, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I need to clean/organize my one bedroom apartment. I don't have enough room for it, plus my type A-ness is coming out and I am not thrilled with the clutter. I need to find my desk and everything needs to find a home. Any ideas on how to make storage for a small space?
#8 of 28 Old 05-28-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Lady View Post
I need to clean/organize my one bedroom apartment. I don't have enough room for it, plus my type A-ness is coming out and I am not thrilled with the clutter. I need to find my desk and everything needs to find a home. Any ideas on how to make storage for a small space?
Yes, I even lived in a studio (one-room apt) for three years. Simply get rid of as much as you can. Have as many shelves as you can. Really helps with storage. Keep your amount of paper down, although I imagine that might be difficult as a teacher.

lady.gif
#9 of 28 Old 05-28-2007, 07:44 PM

First and most importantly is to rotate out my grocery stock. I will be doing a summer long pantry/freezer challenge. If I am able to really stick to it we should be done in about 6 wks.
Second I need to get into our craft closet/office supplies and take inventory so i know what to look for in back to school sales.
Third is the childrens clothes. DS6 is hard on clothes so anything that doesnt fit needs to be either donated or thrown out, very little is re-sellable, the girls need inventory taken on what can be saved for the littles and what the littles need to fill in.
Fourth are the toys. I have so many little ones I dont get rid of much but I need to see what pcs are missing, whats broken etc (and what is really annoying) in prep for fall b'days and the holidays.
#10 of 28 Old 05-30-2007, 11:08 AM

1. Clear out the garage...It's insane out there....we can't even park a car.
2. Downsize the clothing in the house. We have way too many clothes.I do way too much laundry. We don't have a place for all the clothes
3. Cull the books....there's many that we'll never read again and someone else should have the pleasure
4. Toys....we have way too many. I want it downsize to what they actually play with
5. Kitchen...I have too many dishes, tupperware, pots/pans...too much. The pantry...I'm sure there's stuff that expired in 1996 in there!

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#11 of 28 Old 05-30-2007, 12:17 PM

NIKKI
just wondering.....I thought maybe you could use shelving....go UP! maybe a loft style bed would open up floor space and give each child their OWN space?
#12 of 28 Old 05-30-2007, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
We're expecting a baby at the end of August and we are most likely moving within the next year so I would like to get the house totally decluttered this summer. I don't really have a specific list of goals. My plan is to do it one room at a time- take everything out, sort, and put back in an organized fashion.

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
#13 of 28 Old 05-30-2007, 02:46 PM

I think I have an idea for the bedroom situation, now. We can't go with loft or bunkbeds, unfortunatly, because the kiddos are far too young. We'll only JUST be moving my son into his own bed, soon after we move (assuming it doesn't totally traumatize him, of course). So low beds are the way to go. We have a nearly brand new bed for DD, and I wanted to get the same one for DS so that they would match. It's the Hemnes bed in white, from Ikea. I have to take some measurements, but I think I'll have enough room to lay them in an L shape against the walls. It'll leave a square gap that will be un-useable, but I'll have DH rig up a table in that section to use as a night stand. Having the beds against the walls like that should open the room up enough to provide plenty of floor space. I have a modular system from Ikea that I'm planning on stacking up against one of the walls, for toy/clothing storage.

We find out tonight if they've raised the price of the apartment (in which case we'll have to pass on it.) I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they keep the price low, because it's in an ideal location - close to the school, close to the daycare, on a good bus route, and has its own little park.

And then, we'll be going to take measurements to see how much of our junk we can take with us.
#14 of 28 Old 05-30-2007, 04:36 PM

Completely finish decluttering my house. That's my goal. I've been on a massive decluttering streak, so I think it can be done. Actually I think I can get all but the garage done before we leave on vacation - June 7. I'm doing my bedroom today. I'm actually starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel. Woo hoo.
#15 of 28 Old 05-30-2007, 05:35 PM

Cleaning out the basement!

Going thru all the tubs labeled "storage" -why am I storing things?- and getting it down to ONE box of mementos, ONE box of baby stuff (for the next little one, if we are so blessed) and art supplies.

Enlisting DH to help clear off/ clean out the workbench. It is just gross in its current state.

Getting rid of all the toxic waste (paint cans, etc.) that came with the house.

Yanking out the crappy shelves in the pantry and putting in the new ones (hand me down baker's racks from MIL). Organizing the shelves into two categories: pantry and brewing supplies.

This will keep me busy all summer, without a doubt.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#16 of 28 Old 05-30-2007, 09:41 PM

July is my dedicated month for decluttering. I do it regularly so nothing is horrible, I just need to dig a little deeper. My goals:

1) Organize outdoor storage closet-it's pretty small, so shouldn't take too long. We have three large carpet rugs in there from our old house that need to be donated, but they are HUGE. One is in good condition, the others are a little stained, even after cleaning. Any ideas on what to do with them? I don't mind taking the good one to the thrift store, but I don't think they'd appreciate the stained ones (the stains aren't too bad). We live in military housing, so no Freecycle. Maybe just labeling "free" and putting in the front yard?

2) Go through closet in my office. All my teaching supplies need to be culled big time. I need to take inventory of our office supplies as well and watch for what we'll need to pick up during sales. I don't think we'll need much, though. Also need to go through guest pillows, sheets, and bedding. I want to be able to easily convert this room into a nursery if the need arises. Although we'll probably cosleep, we need a place for baby stuff!

3) Tackle the walk-in closet at the end of the hall. It's not even walk-in at this point. Some of the boxes can be moved to the outdoor storage shed once that's cleaned.

4) DH's dresser and closet. All clothes in good condition need to go to the thrift shop.

5) Go through the filing cabinet. We need to update files, weed out files that no longer apply, etc.

Those are the goals and I'd like to be done as soon as I can!

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#17 of 28 Old 05-30-2007, 09:55 PM

I need to go through the 4 file cabinets in the basement. I'm not even sure what's in them : Then we are having another bedroom put in & everyone is switching rooms, so we need to completely clear out the 2 bedroom we have now, which I plan to declutter as we refill.
#18 of 28 Old 05-31-2007, 06:51 AM

DH and I just talked about this last night. We both agreed we'd like to declutter our "small things" that are all over the house. The little knick-knacks. DH claims he gets mentally overstimulated by the fact that everywhere he looks, there are things. I understand, and even though I'm not bothered by it, I just want the stuff gone!! So that's what we're going to do. And also look at our furniture. Maybe getting a new couch and a different closet will help make things look better.

Christine, SAHM to DD ('05), DS1 ('07) and : DS2 ('09)
#19 of 28 Old 05-31-2007, 10:50 AM

We are going to clean sweep our shed. We do a decent job of clearing stuff away from time to time, but I want to empty it, wash it out, remove some of the not kid friendly shelving, and get some better storage in there for the outdoor toys. We also need to get rid of some leftover building materials once and for all. Could probably get it done in a weekend.

That's my main goal. Continue other decluttering as well, but the shed is my main summer project.
#20 of 28 Old 05-31-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenenlightened View Post
3. Cull the books. I can always visit the library.
Does the library have the books you want? Sometimes they don't, which is why I have the books. I guess you can donate the books to the library, that way you know they should be there.
#21 of 28 Old 06-03-2007, 08:40 PM

I can officially cross off #1 on my list!

DH is gone and one of the things I like to do while he's away is declutter. So late this afternoon, I decided to tackle the outdoor storage closet. It only took about an hour. I took all the area rugs out and set them on the front porch and put a big yellow sign on them that said "give away." I'm hoping someone will walk by our house and want them. I also put a lamp in the pile (good condition) and our lawn chairs (yuck-broken and rusted) that will probably have to be trashed (any other ideas-I hate trashing things!). After I had cleared out and organized, I went inside. I took the BIG boxes out of our walk-in closet at the end of the hall. We had the box from our vaccum, air bed, and a few other things that we bought recently and don't want to recycle just yet. They were taking up valuable space in the walk-in and since there was plenty of room outside, they went there.

If I have time, I'd like to do the walk-in closet at the end of the hall next. It really shouldn't take long at all-probably 45 minutes tops. It's pretty much decluttered, just needs to be rearranged now that the big boxes are outside.

How is everyone else coming?

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#22 of 28 Old 06-03-2007, 11:09 PM

Here's mine -

1. Finish organizing my sewing and crafting area. DONE
2. Summer and winter clothes, still need to get the rest of winter away and summer completely out. Donate/consign any not being worn. DONE
3. Look again at the basement/laundry. I want it spotless for extra pantry storage during canning season.
4. Move gift and wrapping totes to sewing area and out from under our bed. Keep it clear and clean. DONE
5. Quick run thru walk-in storage closet again. Get all BIL stuff OUT! DONE!!!
6. Be ruthless in linen closet and our bedroom bookshelf - still too much stuff. DONE
7. Make room for dh's farming paperwork somewhere other than the china cabinet. DONE
8. Get photo albums caught up since last summer.

If I can quickly hit these goals, (most are 2nd or 3rd hits) then I'll feel ready to paint the downstairs and tackle a few other projects I've been hoping to get to when school's done. But there is no point in decorating till I'm happy with all the stuff gone!
#23 of 28 Old 06-05-2007, 08:44 AM

I've got to get rid of everything that doesn't fit anyone.

I have to organize our schoolroom.

I have to get rid of the excess paper clutter.
#24 of 28 Old 06-06-2007, 03:43 PM

I want to get rid of half of my stuff. I can't get dh even close to being on board :cry:
#25 of 28 Old 06-06-2007, 08:01 PM

The store room. Everything else stays quite clutter free, with the exception of dh's office which I don't touch. The store room is a mess mostly from dh going in there to get something and never putting a damn thing away. And he wonders where the kids get it.
#26 of 28 Old 06-06-2007, 08:11 PM

To get the basement, attic, and garage in order and to catch up on my scrapbooking.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows--
: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the
for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#27 of 28 Old 06-14-2007, 12:54 PM

My goals:
* De-clutter children's clothes in preparation for back to school. (I have no idea how they got so many, but they don't need all that they have.)

* RUTHLESSLY de-clutter toys and games. (We have enough for 8 children! : )

* "Clean Sweep" the garage (stole that term from a PP). I need to find metal hanging storage for my garden tools and supplies. SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED!!! :

* Re-evaluate "corridor cupboard" with an eye to making it as efficient as possible for storage of "health & hygeine" backup supplies.

Visit
to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#28 of 28 Old 06-14-2007, 02:18 PM

- organize sewing room and thin fabric stash (this one might take all summer)
- re-organize baby clothes, give outgrown items to pregnant friends
- find some sort of outdoor storage solution for our lawn and garden stuff

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page