Options for recycling stained baby/toddler clothing - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
1  2
Organize & Declutter > Options for recycling stained baby/toddler clothing
MaryCeleste's Avatar MaryCeleste 02:23 AM 06-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by CathMac View Post
I'm not the most Eco-Friendly person in the world but knowing why it works I would only use the treatment when absolutely necessary. I like the OPs suggestion of accumulating a bunch of items and doing them together.
I agree -- when I posted about how the method worked, I didn't mean to suggest that it should never be used. It also makes sense from an environmental perspective, IMO, if it makes the difference between wearable and unwearable clothes. Even the most die-hard Goodwill bargain hunters don't want crusty-armpit shirts. Although fabric can be recycled, "reusing" is generally a far more effective method of waste reduction, especially when you figure in the resources that are used in the recycling process.

BTW, for those who are unfamiliar with the phosphate issue, these substances aren't a direct health hazard -- in fact, phosphate is an essential nutrient. The trouble is that excessive amounts (from agricultural runoff and human waste, as well as detergents) over-nourish plant life in ponds and lakes, causing algae overgrowth which chokes out other life forms. So the bad effects are very much dependent on the dose.

melissel's Avatar melissel 12:12 AM 06-16-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryCeleste View Post
I agree -- when I posted about how the method worked, I didn't mean to suggest that it should never be used. It also makes sense from an environmental perspective, IMO, if it makes the difference between wearable and unwearable clothes. Even the most die-hard Goodwill bargain hunters don't want crusty-armpit shirts. Although fabric can be recycled, "reusing" is generally a far more effective method of waste reduction, especially when you figure in the resources that are used in the recycling process.

BTW, for those who are unfamiliar with the phosphate issue, these substances aren't a direct health hazard -- in fact, phosphate is an essential nutrient. The trouble is that excessive amounts (from agricultural runoff and human waste, as well as detergents) over-nourish plant life in ponds and lakes, causing algae overgrowth which chokes out other life forms. So the bad effects are very much dependent on the dose.
Thanks for that I knew you weren't being harsh! I was just bummed to find out that phosphates were the key. I mean, I knew I wasn't using EOs or anything But I've been trying to eliminate the last few non-EF holdouts in my routine--I guess now I'll just have to try a little harder! Maybe if I can cut it back to once a year... I do agree though, that I saved a lot of clothing I would otherwise have tossed in a donation bin, and that I've been able to give a lot of clothing to others via Freecycle and as hand-me-downs that I might not have had they been as stained as my kids can seem to get them!

Ah well, it's always a journey, right?
Verity's Avatar Verity 12:30 PM 10-17-2008
I know this is an old thread, but I have a couple of questions.

With the hot water + color-safe bleach + dishwasher detergent method, how do you keep the water hot? Isn't it going to cool off within a matter of minutes? Is this mixture safe for printed fabric?
I learned the hard way never to use OxyClean on printed fabric when I soaked a mostly-white flannel blanket and many of the pink polka dots faded off. Is Shaklee Nature Bright safe for printed fabric?

I'm asking because I have some baby clothes with (breast milk) spit-up stains that I'm trying to salvage. Most of them have sentimental value.

On another note, I'm glad I read this thread and learned that I can donate old blue jeans. I have thrown away so many pairs of old, holey jeans when I should have been putting them in a clothing bin.
greenmansions's Avatar greenmansions 10:46 PM 10-20-2008
Regarding Oxy Clean and fading, I have had a few things fade but most do not. Mostly the things I soak are Hanna or Gymboree - more expensive stuff that I want to keep looking nice - and they have not faded at all. Sometimes I leave them there overnight. I use one scoop per bucket of water, add hot water first and stir it around just to dissolve the Oxy Clean, then fill the bucket the rest of the way with cold water. I think the bucket is 16 quart - the size I use for mopping floors. This is less concentrated than if you follow the instructions on the Oxy Clean box. Maybe try some clothes are the same brand as what you are trying to rescue to see how they hold up. Also, if your stained stuff has been in the dryer after it's stained, all bets are off for getting the stain out. That makes it nearly impossible most of the time.

If your BM stains are on white fabric, you could try a bleach pen and dab around the stain the launder it. I fold the bleached parts in on each other so they don't affect the clothes that are around them in the washer.
momma4fun's Avatar momma4fun 01:08 PM 10-21-2008
100% cotton clothes can be quickly cut ripped into smaller sections (you don't have to shred or cut into strips) and COMPOSTED

i'm doing this on a bare packed section of our front yard -- it's covered with the cut up cotton, then it's covered with some wood boards. In a year's time it should be completely composted! (I'm trying to make a layer of dirt on the bare hard part so i can grow something there)
Verity's Avatar Verity 10:33 AM 10-31-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmansions View Post
Also, if your stained stuff has been in the dryer after it's stained, all bets are off for getting the stain out. That makes it nearly impossible most of the time.
Ah, well, I guess I'm out of luck. Everything has been through the dryer.

With the items that have no sentimental value, I'll probably trying soaking in OxyClean just to see what happens.
thewaggonerfamily's Avatar thewaggonerfamily 01:23 AM 11-02-2008
Have you tried the Biz boil? I've heard it will even get Sharpie marker stains out.
baileyandmikey's Avatar baileyandmikey 01:32 AM 11-02-2008
YOu can make family cloth out of old cotton tshirts... just an idea.
1  2

Up