I want to give up scrapbooking - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-24-2007, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I LOVE the photobook ideas! I do still scrapbook, and truly do find it relaxing. But, as the kiddos get older and we all get busier, not so much time for this hobby.

So what are the best websites for making photobooks? Also---cost is a factor, so what are the cheapest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2007, 10:45 PM

I've never been into scrabooking, but I love photographs, so here goes...

I'd second (third? fourth?) the photobox idea. You can get prints, write information/thoughts/etc about the pictures on the back (they even make stickers with lines so you can do them all uniform, or you could print out labels with the information on it). Honestly, it seems like a more versatile way of presenting pictures and important documents... the kid can, when he's older, choose to put them in an album, keep them in the box, display the pics in frames, etc.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:21 PM

I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to update. I took some advice from here and ordered photo books. One for DS's first year, and one for his second, and I LOVE them! I am SOOOO done with scrapbooking now, this is much easier!
I did have an issue with printing on one of the books and contacted them and they are sending another. So now I have 2 books (one with an error on one page) and I'm not sure what to do with the 2nd one.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

Old 08-14-2007, 01:46 PM

Replying before reading all the other responses...

I was in a similar situation. My oldest daughter, now 6, has 5 12x12 paper scrapbook albums for just her first 2 years!!!!! And that's all. My second has one, only showing her up to 4 months old. I haven't really begun an album for my son, but I've made several digital layouts for him. When dd#2 was a toddler I discovered digital scrapbooking. It's so easy to open, and leave open, my work on my computer desktop (I use Lumapix Fotofusion and Adobe Photoshop Elements). No worries about children getting ahold of my materials, no having to get stuff out and out it away repeatedly, and so much easier to work with digital elements (which, unlike paper products, you can use again and again and change easily to match your layout).

After several months of exploring the options, I committed to digital scrapbooking by selling most of my paper supplies at a local scrapbook supply store's "yard sale", earning me $75 credit in the store which I used to buy several albums to hold my printed digital pages.

My first favorite site that helped me learn about digi-scrapping was
http://digitalscrapbookplace.com/
but now my favorite is
http://scrapgirls.com/
because they have a great daily newsletter which includes tutorials & freebies!

Regarding guilt, I just discovered this idea:
http://www.bigpicturescrapbooking.com/
I read the book over the weekend and feel inspired.

One more thing, there is a new digital scrapbooking magazine and a series of books on the subject that are all good. You might be getting the idea that I've read about it a lot more than I've actually done it, and unfortunately you'd be right. But that's because of my darn perfectionism and the guilt factor. The big picture idea (previous paragraph) feels like the answer though, and I foresee enjoying creating many more pages for albums than I have been.

Good luck!

Michele, mom of DD 5/01, DD 11/03, and DS 11/06

http://michelepixels.com/

Old 08-14-2007, 01:50 PM

Oh yeah! Forgot to mention photobooks! I like them too. I've given a few as gifts. I've used snapfish, shutterfly, mypublisher, and blurb.com. Blurb is the best for the number of choices they offer! And I like working on my books offline (you download their software).

Old 08-14-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leta View Post
Okay, I don't expect this to be popular, and I'm not trying to be mean, but...

My mom made these scrapbooks for me that were about girl scouts, softballl, blah blah blah. And I do have them- but I'm only keeping them out of guilt. One of the last major decluttering missions I have to do is to go thru the three huge "memory boxes" in my basement, and the scrapbooks take up a better part of two of them.
I personally have no interest in ANY of my stuff that my mom saved - pictures, school stuff, clothes, etc. Every time I toss something or <gasp!!!> don't save something (like his first clipped hair, his coming home outfit, etc) she says, "He may want to see that when he's older." He might. He probably won't. I'm not saving it.

I started doing digital scrapbooking and loved it. I was going to do a book for each of his first few years but petered out halfway through his Year One book (when he was almost two). I felt slightly like I should finish the layouts anyway but didn't and it doesn't bother me now. I know I have very little sentimentality about things like keepsakes etc. It wouldn't bother me in the least if my siblings had books and I didn't.

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

Old 08-14-2007, 06:05 PM

i also agree with doing a digital scrapbook. this is my plan - even though i do have a book started for dd#1 (long before we did all digital photos). with 3 kids i jsut don't have the time, as i also crochet, sew, etc... it might be something for me to consider after the kids are bigger and (slightly) independent, that i might enjoy doing.

i borrowed an awesome digital scrapbooking program from my local library system - LOVED it! need to buy that! i wish i could remember what it was called

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
Old 08-15-2007, 06:19 AM
Banned

Yep, photo boxes (easier to handle), digi stuff (saveable), and hiring/trading w/someone to do it for you are all great. Frankly we would barely have a photograph of our son at all if not for my mother who documents his every move, and fortunately for us she somehow got herself into scrapbooking too so we have one massive album for his first year and oh my god FOUR for his second year. (And I'm not talking mini occasion-size books either - I mean the full-on 16-inchers or whatever size those things are! ) She uses pretty basic supplies, many pictures on a page, and finds a way to use every sheet of paper in those wierd bargain packs, matching them somehow to a group of photos and adding dollar-store stickers and her own captions - they come out lovely, low-key, but it still takes her a ton of time! (He's 2 1/2, she's starting his 3rd-year books now.)

Anyway my point is that letting someone else do it so you can catch up and let the hobby go will really relieve the stress.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:20 AM

scrapbook-bytes.com hard drive storage takes up way less space then real paper and supplies

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
Old 08-15-2007, 12:25 PM

I have 4 albums of my oldest son (covering only the first 15 months!), 1/2 an album of #2, and nothing specific for #3. But I am planning on doing it because I love it so. And I did a 6x6 album of a trip with #3 in it (the older 2 didn't go with us). It will take forever, if I ever catch up at all, but it's about the process for me, and I enjoy it.

But....if you want to be done, be done!
You could instead do what a friend of mine decided to do when she knew she couldn't keep up. She does 1 page for each month that includes all the children, sort of a highlights page.
I would think you could cut that down even more, say a 2 page spread for the whole year with the highlights? Then you'd only have one album from here on out.

If anyone wants to unload scrapbooking supplies, I'm always interested!!! : It's the one thing I won't be decluttering...in fact I look at the rest of my decluttering efforts as a way to enable more scrapbooking and craft space & time .

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 08-15-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyPie View Post
... Frankly we would barely have a photograph of our son at all if not for my mother who documents his every move, and fortunately for us she somehow got herself into scrapbooking too so we have one massive album for his first year and oh my god FOUR for his second year....
LOL I can totally envision myself being like your mom! I call myself a photomaniac. And I imagine when I'm a grandmother I'll have more time to scrapbook than I do now!

Old 09-17-2007, 03:48 AM

I'm doing baby book scrapbooks for both my kids for their first year, maybe a few pages for each year after that. Other than that I'm using shutterfly - I do one family album for every year and I'm actually up to date! I honestly can't believe some people do scrapbooking for ALL their pictures. It seems way too expensive and time consuming. Check out shutterfly now has an album for baby's first year. Maybe you could do that for him? And it would be "special" since its different from what you did for the other two kids.

"We shape the clay into a pot but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want" Lao Tzu
Old 09-17-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leta View Post
This thread is making me really glad I never took up scrapbooking in the first place. :
Me too. : Just the other day I was thinking about starting DS'...he's 2 now and it's completely blank. And it's one of those nice expensive ones from Creative Memories.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
Old 09-17-2007, 09:38 PM

Oh dang, I just noticed this thread is a month old.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
Old 09-18-2007, 12:05 AM

I have switched to photo books from scrapbooking, too. I still haven't finished my WEDDING album, and that was three years ago! My goal now is to complete the wedding album and then sell off the scrap supplies. I made a photo book of our formal photos and just have the weekend events - rehearsal dinner, getting ready, ceremony, reception - to scrap.

I'm making a photo album of DS's first two years - he turns 2 on Sunday - and am printing one for us, one for each grandparent, and one for him when he gets older. I love that it's so easy to put them together, they're cheap, then they take so little space to store. Plus, if I lose or damage it, I can just reprint it. (This happened with the formal wedding album. I just bought one more - can't do that with a scrapbook!)
Old 09-18-2007, 10:21 AM

If you know someone who would be willing to use your supplie and create a scrapbook for your son with the pictures you provide--- I mean, then YOU wouldn't have to do it and you would still have SOMETHING to show him....

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
Old 09-18-2007, 08:35 PM

What a timely thread....even if it is old

I just dragged out all of my scrapbook stuff again last weekend. I have 10 years worth of scrapbooks. I am only 10 months behind which is enough to make me panic..... I have hundreds of dollars worth of supplies. I am not the type to squirrel this kind of stuff away but people buy me supplies for gifts. For. ten. years. I enjoy it but have found less and less joy from it over the years. The actual time I spend doing it is very enjoyable but no one ever looks at them. In fact, I am pretty sure my eyes are the only ones that have looked at the last two year's worth of albums. Dh is not interested. Dd is indifferent. My friends would rather hang themselves then look. Even my mom and MIL seem to have zero interest. Why am I doing this?!?!?! Not to mention, I am starting to feel like they are childish and messy looking compared to what I could do much faster online. It takes up a good portion of my crafting space. It is messy. And I either have to sell my soul to the devil to get dh to watch dd while I do it or I have to set her all up with her own stuff and spend more than half of my efforts helping her and keeping her from making a HUGE mess. I could be spending my money and time on knitting. Knitting things for people who appreciate the goods. Like ME!

I am not sure I actually have the guts to give it up though.

Anyone else MAJORLY into it in the past and walk away?
Old 09-19-2007, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Anyone else MAJORLY into it in the past and walk away?
Yes - ME! I am the OP, and thanks to this thread I have finally been able to break free.

To give you an idea of how "into" scrapbooking I used to be .... I used to teach classes. I had an entire room of my house devoted to scrapbooking and storing my supplies. I was majorly addicted.

But after reading this thread, I just decided to give it up. It wasn't fun for me anymore, it felt like a chore and a weight on my shoulders.

I Freecycled thousands of dollars worth of stuff. I could have Ebayed it all, but once I decided to let it all go I just wanted it gone, KWIM? I bundled it up into lots, and the people who got it were all so excited and appreciative, it made me feel great.

I think the one comment that really clicked for me was when someone here said, "Do you really want to be passing the clutter of all these albums onto your children?" No, I didn't!

My advice is, if you want to give it up, just do it! I haven't regretted it at all. I do the online photobooks now and they are wonderful! :

Kath contented vegan mama to my trio of free-range boys
Permaculture Design Student & Wannabe Urban Homesteader
Old 09-19-2007, 04:52 AM

I am officially addicted to Shutterfly. G'bye large totes of scrapbooking stuff!! You are going into my garage sale.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

Old 09-19-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenRay View Post
Yes - ME! I am the OP, and thanks to this thread I have finally been able to break free.

To give you an idea of how "into" scrapbooking I used to be .... I used to teach classes. I had an entire room of my house devoted to scrapbooking and storing my supplies. I was majorly addicted.

But after reading this thread, I just decided to give it up. It wasn't fun for me anymore, it felt like a chore and a weight on my shoulders.

I Freecycled thousands of dollars worth of stuff. I could have Ebayed it all, but once I decided to let it all go I just wanted it gone, KWIM? I bundled it up into lots, and the people who got it were all so excited and appreciative, it made me feel great.

I think the one comment that really clicked for me was when someone here said, "Do you really want to be passing the clutter of all these albums onto your children?" No, I didn't!

My advice is, if you want to give it up, just do it! I haven't regretted it at all. I do the online photobooks now and they are wonderful! :
Thanks for sharing!

I have one tiny glitch and I know I am getting OT here.....

But when I first got married (10 years ago) I made "mother's books" for both mothers with a promise that for every Mother's Day and every Christmas I would make them a page to add. I have never missed one. How do I weasel my way out of that? I do not think my mom would care if she got a computer generated one. She seems to not care about the ones I make. Neither does my MIL but is the type that would like to pin something like this on me. Should I keep enough stuff on hand to do those pages or should I just walk away and deal with the fallout?
Old 09-19-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Thanks for sharing!

I have one tiny glitch and I know I am getting OT here.....

But when I first got married (10 years ago) I made "mother's books" for both mothers with a promise that for every Mother's Day and every Christmas I would make them a page to add. I have never missed one. How do I weasel my way out of that? I do not think my mom would care if she got a computer generated one. She seems to not care about the ones I make. Neither does my MIL but is the type that would like to pin something like this on me. Should I keep enough stuff on hand to do those pages or should I just walk away and deal with the fallout?
I think you should just make a digital page and get it printed out the correct size. If either one of them says anything, tell them that you've gone digital.

User Tag List