I want to give up scrapbooking - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 06-18-2007, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some suggestions, mamas. I thought this was the best forum because it involves issues that to me, are about simplifying.

A few years ago I was heavily into scrapbooking. My first two sons have beautiful albums chronicalling their first few years. I have a tonne of supplies that I have slowly whittled away to one shelf - they used to take up an entire room!

I used to love it so much - the creativity, the quiet time to myself, and the feeling that I was preserving special memories for my children. But when I became pregnant with DS3 and has hypermesis, I stopped. I was too sick and then when DS3 was born I was too busy and had no time.

And now I have no desire. The only thing stopping me from selling all my supplies is the horrible guilt I feel that DS1 and 2 have lovely albums and DS3 has not even one layout. He will ask why when he is older and I will have no answer besides, "I didn't feel like it anymore."

I guess I am looking for permission to give up, but also suggestions anyone might have for fast, simple ways of effectively preserving family photographs and memories. I am the family photographer - I do love photography and take many photos. The thought of them sitting in an album never to be enjoyed makes me feel very sad.

TIA.

Kath contented vegan mama to my trio of free-range boys
Permaculture Design Student & Wannabe Urban Homesteader
#2 of 51 Old 06-18-2007, 07:50 PM

I did a scrapbook for my DS up to age 2 and then decided I was sick of doing it. Now I go on snapfish or shutterfly and make memory books for him. It is so much faster and less time consuming. They turn out so nice. This would be an option for you, if you want to give it up. Or maybe keep the scrapbooking things you have for a while to see if you get the desire to do it again.

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#3 of 51 Old 06-18-2007, 08:58 PM

I was going to suggest making books online somewhere, too. I've used mypublisher and picasa. Both were nice.
#4 of 51 Old 06-18-2007, 09:07 PM

Okay, I don't expect this to be popular, and I'm not trying to be mean, but...

My mom made these scrapbooks for me that were about girl scouts, softballl, blah blah blah. And I do have them- but I'm only keeping them out of guilt. One of the last major decluttering missions I have to do is to go thru the three huge "memory boxes" in my basement, and the scrapbooks take up a better part of two of them.

I like Picasa and photo boxes, myself. I don't really want these bulky, fragile scrapbooks. So maybe your youngest son will be glad he didn't get any.

Or, you could yank the pictures out of your older sons' scrapbooks, throw the pages away and call it even.

And for pity's sake, if you don't want to do it anymore, don't! Give this stuff to someone who will use it.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#5 of 51 Old 06-18-2007, 09:08 PM

I create my scrapbooks digitally, using Photoshop. PS Elements is a relatively cheap, powerful program that you can learn fairly easily and you can print your digital creations at home and place them into albums.

It's still scrapbooking, it's still creative, but it takes up a lot less room, far fewer supplies and tools, and best of all - you can save a page and go back to it in an hour, a week, a month, whenever you get time, and it'll be exactly the same as you left it - no scribbles, no coffee stains, no tears or crumpled edges from the kids.

I find it fits better into our small space and busy lives than paper scrapping.

Check out www.scrapgirls.com for more info, tips to get started, daily inspiration and freebies and a message board. There are lots of other sites, too, if you're interested.
#6 of 51 Old 06-18-2007, 09:12 PM

No advice, just commiserating. I am about 5 years behind and don't think I will ever catch up. I am too much of a perfectionist and it takes me forever to do one page. I want to give it up too. And just put them in chronological order in a regular album. At least then the kids can look at them. oh the guilt.
#7 of 51 Old 06-18-2007, 10:58 PM

This was one thing that I let go of in order to simplify my life. Now I just put the pictures in albums...you know what, the kids still enjoy them! They pull out the scrapbooks and the regular ole albums alike and love to look at them. Maybe you could go ahead and make a scrapbook for your third child's first year and then give it up???

Melissa
#8 of 51 Old 06-18-2007, 11:32 PM

Thanks for sharing...seems like a lot of us feel this way. I too have a ton of scrapbooking supplies. I don't even have completed chronological albums for my kids, just about 40 or so pages of trips and events. I have more supplies than I'll ever use up, and not much free time to do any scrapbooking. I enjoyed the process, the playing with paper and glue and ribbons and all. So many pretties!

The only reason I haven't culled my supplies is that I don't know what to do with all of it. Who to give/sell it to? School? eBay?

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#9 of 51 Old 06-18-2007, 11:58 PM

This thread is making me really glad I never took up scrapbooking in the first place. :

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#10 of 51 Old 06-19-2007, 12:42 AM

Hee hee. I am still into scrapbooking, but I am worried about doing as much for dc#2 as I did for dc#1. I could imagine if I had a third child, it would be near impossible!

The thing about scrapbooking is that it is really for YOU, not for your kids. If your kids someday appreciate it, that is a bonus. But it is your hobby and should be fun for you! If it isn't, there really is no point. I think if you put pictures in regular albums, people will still love looking at them. I feel like the only people who really "get" the time/effort/creativity that goes into scrapbooks is people who are scrapbookers themselves.

Plus, if your third child suddenly has scrapbook envy (which I doubt since he is a boy - not to be sexist or anything, but there aren't many male scrapbookers than I know of). You will still have the pictures and he can have fun putting together his own scrapbook (with or without your help). If he is into it, he could pick out his own papers and so on when he is old enough. But then, I still kinda doubt that will happen.
#11 of 51 Old 06-19-2007, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I want to give up scrapbooking and cardmaking too. I think I have the week she was in the hospital scrapbooked and thats it. Now she's 18 months and I will never catch up.

I haven't scrapbooked in MONTHS! And I have hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of stuff, mostly unused.

Ebay would be good for a lot of it, I think.

I was also going to suggest shutterfly memory books! So cute and sometimes they give them away for free.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#12 of 51 Old 06-19-2007, 08:49 AM

I want to put in another plug for creating a book online. I just made a beautiful 12x12 book on shutterfly.com with photos of our DS's adoption and it turned out great and only took an hour or so to upload the photos, plug them into the many options of preset layouts and backgrounds. Now it's not as detailed with all the bells and whistles of a "scrapbook", but it's a wonderful photo journal that we've gotten tons of compliments on and really treasure. And it was so easy!

It's easy to get so caught up in preserving the moment that we fail to live in it or enjoy it. At the same time, we do want to hold onto our memories. Hopefully you can find a simpler, more enjoyable way to do it.

SAHM to two amazing boys
8-21-05
#13 of 51 Old 06-19-2007, 09:30 AM

This is a debating area for me. I love scrapbooking but I never do it. Some friends and I want to have social get togethers for scrapping (which I would love!) so I hate to get rid of my supplies. I have an unused closet full of stuff that I just can't seem to pare down. I didn't spend tons of money but too much to just get rid of it and I don't think most of it would sell. Some things I am recycling into our homeschooling, like the cardstock, stamps, scissors and little doo dads.

I guess I'm feeling more guilt about not doing it because I want to than anything (and I'm too lazy to get my pictured printed!). Then I wonder what I could do with that space. Probably not much as it's hard to access (which may be why I don't scrap much. I think I might pare down to my tote so I can just grab and go (other than my stamps which I keep in a box).
#14 of 51 Old 06-19-2007, 10:06 AM

I do scrapbook, but it's not my only hobby so I keep it within it's limits. Each one of my kids has a baby scrapbook and a mini birthday album where I just put in a pic of them on their birthday each year but besides that, I'm just doing chrono family books. Each one lasts me for a couple of years at least so it's really not that much. I don't scrap everything.

I imagine one day I might make them a memories album when they are graduating high school or something. Otherwise, I make really simple books for gifts for friends or family for birthday or celebrations, etc.

I think with all hobbies, you have to love it. If you don't really, then why do it?
#15 of 51 Old 06-19-2007, 10:09 AM

I agree with what everyone has said, but want to put my 2 cents in, as the 3rd of 4 children. You have to do something for him. It doesn't have to be just like your others, as other pp's have said (you could do it on the computer), but you really have to suck it up, and do something to make him feel as special as the others. I always felt loved and wanted, but when I look at the amount of pics of bro and sis, and how their baby books are all filled in and mine is not even 10% filled in, it makes me wish it were. I don't want to sound mean, as I'm going to have my 3rd child any week now, and struggle with this very issue myself!!! (not related to scrapbooking, but related to "trying to keep it fair for all".) Good luck!

Keri ~ Wife to dh Mommy to dd 11 whistling.gif ds 9 bouncy.gif  dd 6 1/2 kid.gif 
#16 of 51 Old 06-19-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leta View Post
This thread is making me really glad I never took up scrapbooking in the first place. :

HEHE me too!
#17 of 51 Old 06-19-2007, 10:37 AM

And I am in a similar situation.

I started scrapbooks for both the girls. Put the pictures in and all. Bu I never got beyond the sticky notes with the info on where and when that all was. Now I just hate that i got it even started. I blame my best friend for even getting me started

Now what would be the best way to deal with this? Tear the pics out and do an electronic book for both? I am good with the computer. So that wouldn't be a bad idea I guess... Do the books online?

Any good tips anyone?
#18 of 51 Old 06-19-2007, 11:35 AM

If you're not enjoying it, then give it up!

I have a Fine Arts degree and for me, its my creative outlet. But I have rules now. At this point in my life (two kids under 6) I cannot by any strech of the imagination have the stuff laying all over. I have it in a wheeled cart to cart to and from. I go to my CM consultants house usually every month for a crop night from 7-12. Its the perfect night out and she has all the tools etc and if I need to buy a piece of paper or a sticker its right there. I have spent as little as $4 at a crop and as much as $200 (bought books that night) and she dosnt care. Heck she makes plenty of money off me with all I have bought and will.

I do this for ME. Yes, I have books for both girls and family books as well as remodeling and wedding books. But this is my thing and something I enjoy. I have found everyone has a different reason for doing it.

If you have tools etc to sell do it! You can always go to a crop down the line if you want to revisit it and use the tools provided. Besides someone else will use those tools and they wont be staring at you saying use me!!

So if anyone has any CM stuff they want to unload, PM me or stick it on the TP here.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#19 of 51 Old 06-19-2007, 11:46 AM

I second (or third...fourth) the digital scrapbooking or online memory book making instead. For me, I *need* that little bit of creative outlet it gives me, but I am not overwhelmed with the *stuff* that comes from paper scrapbooking. I called it all "money under the bridge" LOL and gave away my supplies to a friend or two who still liked to paper scrapbook.

Now, I can whip together a page or two in no time - being a perfectionist it is great that I can just click/drag/delete until it looks like I want it to (my paper pages were never "good enough") and I don't have a ton of stuff around.

Amy
Mom of 5 under 13
#20 of 51 Old 06-19-2007, 04:59 PM

Funny, I was just thinking today if I want to continue scrapbooking or not. I have a TON of stuff, but since my son has been here I don't really enjoy it anymore. Now I have #2 on the way and I don't think I will ever catch up. I just ordered a ton of pictures and was planning to put them in albums but I wish I would have done the photo books now since so many of you like them. Maybe I still will for the special photos, maybe one for each year, a small book?

Anyway, I spent way too much on this stuff and kept buying even after I stopped doing it! I don't know why, I guess I thought I'd always get back around to do it but I haven't yet. Makes me sad!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#21 of 51 Old 06-19-2007, 05:25 PM
dis

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
When DD was born, I got very into scrapbooking for about the first 6 months - she slept a lot, and I needed something to do!

Then, she got mobile and I discovered digital scrapbooking and I haven't looked back. I have several hundred dollars worth of paper scrapbooking stuff that I'll never use. But I LOVE digital scrapbooking - I can knock out a page super fast, and then come back to it months later and it's exactly the same and if I hate it I can easily change it. And if you're careful about sizes, you can get the pages printed pretty cheap (I do a lot of 8 by 10 pages because you can print them for $2 each locally).

I plan to keep the leftover scrapbooking stuff so she can use it for crafts when she's older. If she never does, I'll donate it to a local school.
#22 of 51 Old 06-19-2007, 05:34 PM

Quit! It isn't worth the stress is you don't love it anymore.

Then, look online or go to your local scrapbooking store to hire someone to make an album for #3.

No guilt. No stress.
#23 of 51 Old 06-19-2007, 09:23 PM

I didn't make it through all the responses. I understand how you are feeling, though. I have had moments of guilt because I did things (not a scrapbook, but a journal, among other things) for dd that I have not done and do not plan to do for ds1&2. But I have realized that it's okay. I am a different person now than I was 4 years ago. As people, we grow and change. We do not always do things the same way. I feel that our children will understand that. We cannot and should not try to give the SAME or everything EQUAL to each child. Each child gets what s/he needs and what we are passionate about as parents at that moment. Just some thoughts.

As for preserving photos. Do you have digital pictures? You can just burn the photos to a disk and they will all be there to view. Or if you want to be more creative, you could make a DVD with slideshow & music.
#24 of 51 Old 06-19-2007, 11:39 PM

CM (Creative Memories) has a new sort of album with the 4x6 slide in pockets and then you can just make up one or two 4x6 cards with journaling,etc for each page or spread. I am getting back into scrapbooking, but doing it the easy way this time around. DS is 8 now and is starting to show an interest in creating his own albums, so I may be "off the hook" for his future albums.

Oh, I am no longer a CM consultant, and not trying to push their products; just sharing something fairly new to them. You could prob. apply the same idea to any "safe" album with the slide in pockets.

PS If you do give up the "habit" LOL, keep your supplies for lapbooking with the kids later. I can see lapbooks as useful whether you are a home or public schooling family.
#25 of 51 Old 06-20-2007, 01:38 PM

Why don't you people who want to give up scrapbooking just sell your stuff on the trading post? There are some people *cough, cough* who would love to buy your unused stuff...
#26 of 51 Old 06-20-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaMama View Post
Why don't you people who want to give up scrapbooking just sell your stuff on the trading post? There are some people *cough, cough* who would love to buy your unused stuff...
That is right ummm clear my throat real loud even though you cant hear it.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#27 of 51 Old 06-21-2007, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysmom View Post
Then, look online or go to your local scrapbooking store to hire someone to make an album for #3.

No guilt. No stress.
Oh , EXACTLY what I was thinking.. or better yet... if you don't have the money to hire someone.. trade them your supplies for their work! Your 3rd child gets a handmade album like the others and feels just as special (cause you can never be to sure which kid will be the one it bothers, there is a lot of that in my family now as grown ups... ) AND you will be DE-CLUTTERING all at the same time!

I am up to year my son's 3rd birthday and he is almost 21 now. I have a 2yr old who I haven't even printed pictures out of now that everything is digital (I feel the same guilt)so I will do something for her as far as an album someday. What I do currently is I set up an G-mail account for her in her name(so it's linked to picassa because I too am a photography junkie)... and I email her special messages and stories when she has done something cute or learned something new, reached a milestone etc, and then attach a pictures of that time to the email. There was no internet when my son was a baby in the mid 80's, so different ideas for different times. I think she will get a kick out of reading all these emails someday! Don't you?

Anyway just some thoughts.
Good luck.
~Cynthia

~Single Working Mama of two
#28 of 51 Old 06-21-2007, 10:44 AM

I don't scrapbook. SIL gave me a mini scrapbook for DS at my baby shower. I've started it but have bogged down. We use the Kodak site to store pictures. DH is good about uploading regularly and labeling albums.

I expect if I had gone to a scrapbooking party I could have easily gotten hooked.

I love Cynthia's idea of trading supplies for a finished book for your DC3.

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
#29 of 51 Old 06-21-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenRay View Post
I guess I am looking for permission to give up, but also suggestions anyone might have for fast, simple ways of effectively preserving family photographs and memories. I am the family photographer - I do love photography and take many photos. The thought of them sitting in an album never to be enjoyed makes me feel very sad.

TIA.
Well, I agree with everyone else who mentioned online photobooks. I have avoided getting into scrapbooking - it just scares me as another hobby to suck me in and fill my house up with stuff. I have enough of those hobbies already.

We just made two books on mypublisher - one for our vacation and one for all of our 2006 photos. They came out beautiful, and it was so easy. We use Photoshop elements as well, which makes sorting and finding photos very easy. We just uploaded the photos and got a book in three days. No paper, no scissors.

Another huge benefit is that these books are only about 1/4-to 1/2-inch thick...so much smaller than scrapbooks or traditional photo albums. So I can make as many as I want and it'll still take up very little shelf space. Less clutter even after it's done. I'm sold.

I also learned about picaboo.com - where you can make custom backgrounds and put text right on the photos. I've heard you can also create layouts like this in Power Point, and upload those to Shutterfly to print out a book.

eta: and it's a lot cheaper too. $30 to $40 for a book with 80 to 120 photos. It would cost at least $15 just to have those photos printed at 4x6, not to mention the cost of a scrapbook itself. In the photo book you can set the photos to whatever size you want - no need to worry about enlargements, etc.

Thanks also for the ideas of trading scrapbooking supplies on the TP. I have a couple of CM wedding books (gifts!) that I haven't touched.

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
#30 of 51 Old 06-21-2007, 12:16 PM

I agree that photbooks are a great idea!

Just competed my second book on Shutterfly and it was FREE! I guess that I develop so many photos that they gave me a little gift.

Anyway...it was super easy. You can put one to eight photos on each page. You can caption or journal using different fonts and styles. You can choose your cover and background pages.

The photobooks are the most looked at books in my house. They are light, compact and so proffesional looking.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page