We're going even smaller...RV Living! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 83 Old 06-22-2007, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone...
Just wanted to share our latest adventure with you. We have purchased an RV and will be living in it at least for the next year if not longer. We just decided that now was the perfect time to travel and see more of U.S. and take the opportunity to educate others about simple and sustainable living...and also alternative fuels. Our RV was just converted to run on straight vegetable oil...clean for the environment and free!

The RV is probably between 200-250 square feet. We haven't had it back home yet to decorate and make it our own, but I'm planning on painting and making curtains and "remodeling" the bedroom a bit so we can fit our king bed in there. It's a 32 ft Fleetwood Flair RV...complete with solar panels...yay! I would love to eventually put a composting toilet in there, but one thing at a time, right

We will be getting out of our apt. (I know, I know)...but the RV will be our home now and we love it. Even though I adore our little apt...I adore traveling and meeting new people even more.

Be sure to stop by our new blog and subscribe...I'll be posting our entire journey there: www.livelightlytour.com. You can read more on the latest post on my blog too. Also, we'll be looking for places to stay and for people to help with employment along the way (see blog). Would love to meet you all!

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 83 Old 06-22-2007, 03:53 PM

Oh my gosh that is sooo neat!
Your lil girl is lucky!
I cant wait to see what you do with the RV! It looks really nice!
Will either of you be working or did you save for this?

Best of luck to you and your family on this new wonderful journey.

P.S. However gets your apartment is sooo lucky!
#3 of 83 Old 06-22-2007, 03:59 PM

Wow! That's neat I hope you enjoy this next phase!
#4 of 83 Old 06-22-2007, 04:02 PM

Are you going for a record?
#5 of 83 Old 06-22-2007, 04:24 PM

You truly amaze me. I hope you end up in my neck of the woods, would love to meet you!

When you saw you would be looking for places to stay, do you mean in other's homes or to park your RV?

Keep us updated!

~Tracy

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#6 of 83 Old 06-22-2007, 04:37 PM

Can I ask a question, because I'm just so curious. What do you guys do for income? Do you think when your dd is older you'll be less...well, nomadic? Good luck on your adventure!

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#7 of 83 Old 06-22-2007, 04:44 PM

If you plan a photo shoot in MN let me know. I would love for you to take some family pics of us and Olivia. We are willing to drive too. I think you are going to have a blast!!!
#8 of 83 Old 06-22-2007, 04:50 PM

Congrats...

I have a question. How is vegtable oil free? Last time I checked it was more per gallon than gas.
#9 of 83 Old 06-22-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intorainbowz View Post
Congrats...

I have a question. How is vegtable oil free? Last time I checked it was more per gallon than gas.
That question and also some areas you cant get any oil as it already been spokenfor by other people.

Will be so much fun to travel and see everything!!!
#10 of 83 Old 06-22-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intorainbowz View Post
I'm not sure if this is what OP has planned, but I do know that there are plenty of restaurants that loooooove to give the used oil away and some people in Canada use that. It costs a considerable amount of money for them to dispose of old cooking oil, and it usually isn't used all that much before it's changed. I worked in a fastfood restaurnat when I was a teen and we had to change the oil at least once/day and it had to be filtered before it went into the isposal bin. It looked perfectly fine to me and I use my oil much longer than they did; I don't mind if it starts to look a bit darkish as long as it doesn't smell. They threw away light yellow, clear oil. I don't know anything about it and if used oil is not adequate, then I don't know how it could be free either, but I think that's the idea behind using vegetable oil.

Harvesting new oil for fuel wouldn't be very environmentally sound, I don't think since it would require a whole lot more clear-cutting for oil crops than we already do and all those pesticides/herbicides/fertilizers (who would go organic for that? Maybe the individual...) and refining equipment and materials... If it's not a way to use used oil, then there are better ways of fueling our vehicles, imo.

OP, I think that what you are doing is amazing. I've considered it seriously myself, but I don't think I could handle the small space with four children and dh. I do treasure the times when dc run upstairs for a few minutes or even an hour (!) and I can rest a little downstairs. We used to live in 400 sq. ft. with just two dc and I was losing it there. We're moving into a smaller home than we have now, losing about 300 sq. ft, so about 1000 sq. ft, which is only going to work for me because I'm getting rid of nearly everything we own to make open space . Honestly if anyone visits, they're going to think they've hopped planets! It won't look at all like a coventional home- more like a mixture between a simplified Waldorf classroom and a traditional Arabic home. Oh, and the odd four person square swing, floor cushions and rope ladders on our burn wood beams in the livingroom are sure to charm... I totally love alternative homes!

Motor on, mama!

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#11 of 83 Old 06-22-2007, 06:04 PM

Sounds like you need to head to Fort Collins for the sustainable living fair in September. http://www.sustainablelivingassociation.org/fair/ (Peggy O'Mara will be one of the speakers)

Good Luck!
#12 of 83 Old 06-22-2007, 06:09 PM

Emailed you.

You guys are gonna have a BLAST!

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#13 of 83 Old 06-22-2007, 06:17 PM

So cool!! I've told DH a few times I would love to buy an RV and travel but we are so dependent on his health benefits through work we could never just up and leave
I can't wait to hear more about your journey!

ETA: Oh, and if you might be considering some consulting, I have work for you in CT! We will soon be renting a small apt. and I have no idea where to start..

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
#14 of 83 Old 06-22-2007, 06:25 PM

There's a festival here in the Black Hills this weekend. I doubt you'll be able to make it before the end.

I'm totally wanting to convert an old diesel to run on veggie oil. Do you have issues with gasoline taxes? I read somewhere about a guy getting arrested for using the roads and not buying gas (gas is taxed for road maintenance). I'm curious as how to avoid that issue!
#15 of 83 Old 06-22-2007, 07:32 PM

I'm in Fort Collins! Definitely stop by our Sustainable Living Fair. It's not huge but there are lots of interesting booths and talks. If you swing through, you may also be interested in the New Belgium Brewery - makers of Fat Tire, and a wind-powered operation with lots of other sustainable business practices in place.
#16 of 83 Old 06-22-2007, 09:22 PM

Be sure to post pics of the new digs!

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#17 of 83 Old 06-22-2007, 10:23 PM

I'm so excited for you!!! Like I posted on your blog, I'm in the process of saving up and planning to live full-time on the road for at least 2 - 3 years (I won't be able to start until at least 3 years from now). You guys are going to have a wonderful time. I can't wait to see how you decorate your RV. The first thing I thought when I saw your blog yesterday was how much I'm going to be able to learn about eco-friendly RV'ing from you.

I can't wait to see the pics once you've decorated the RV!!!

Melanie
#18 of 83 Old 06-23-2007, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Aren't you kinda sad though after putting all that hard work into your apartment to be leaving after two months? I know you'll have a great adventure on your trip.

I am curious how your parents/ILs react with each of your moves? Not that its anybody's business but yours, just curious. Our families just wouldn't understand. I would do what you're doing in a heartbeat.
#19 of 83 Old 06-23-2007, 06:54 AM

You are living my dream, I just wish dh shared the same dream. I can't wait to read about your travels, and I hope you decide to travel down south.
#20 of 83 Old 06-23-2007, 09:11 AM

way to go,you will have a blast.
if you happen to come to NJ I would love to meet you IRL.
we have a couple of restaurants that I am sure you could fill up your RV FROM

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#21 of 83 Old 06-23-2007, 11:36 AM

If you are coming to NC, let's get together. We are in central NC so not far from the mountains and the beach. I emailed you.

Can not wait to hear about your adventures.

Elizabeth in Raleigh,NC
#22 of 83 Old 06-23-2007, 12:44 PM

Congratulations! I'm trying to think of what all interesting we have here, but I'm new to the area. Oh, I think we have the best free public transportation system in the country! It's fabulous!
I'm in Vail, CO. If you think you're headed my way, you're welcome to come by.

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#23 of 83 Old 06-23-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Our RV was just converted to run on straight vegetable oil...clean for the environment and free!
I wouldn't advertise this too terribly much....I just read a news story about a man w/ a VO car (maybe in one of the Carolinas?) who was slapped w/ a big fine for not paying gas tax or highway tax or whatever. ridiculous.
#24 of 83 Old 06-23-2007, 05:52 PM

How cool!

I'm just west of Seattle, on the Kitsap Peninsula.....on the way to the rain forest.

Let me know if you're coming my way.....I'd love to meet you as well.

Shannon & Paul...married since 2000. Parents to Alexander Paul Martin - 30 October, 2003 Grace Elizabeth Maile - 12 June, 2009
#25 of 83 Old 06-23-2007, 05:53 PM

I think you are addicted to smallness!!! I don't blame you. How neat!!!

I really loved your apartment though. Some lucky person will move in with all those nice custom colors!
#26 of 83 Old 06-24-2007, 03:43 AM

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pb...D=200770611001

I accidentally bookmarked that when I read it and accidentally just stumbled on it. In hindsight, maybe I read that on MDC? You people have infiltrated my brain.

Anyhoo, best of luck, it sounds like quite a fun adventure!
#27 of 83 Old 06-25-2007, 04:41 PM

I am so jealous! WOW! Living my dream, my DH isn't so adventerous. We live in San Diego CA, and would love to meet you. I teach a wonderful music class for parents and their children, would love you and Bella to come by and take it ON ME! So excited for you guys...

Kathleen

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
#28 of 83 Old 06-25-2007, 05:10 PM

Have fun. We will follow your journey, of course. I will get ahold of you soon. We just bought a house outside of Wilmington (turn and burn) so let me know what I can do for you on this end. I hope you make it this way, I think you have other friends in this direction. Good Luck!!!!!!!!

Kelli
#29 of 83 Old 06-25-2007, 05:26 PM

Sara, this is so awesome!!! Will you be coming back to Iowa eventually? DH and I have talked about doing this same kind of thing (living in an RV and traveling the US) but we have to figure out that darn money thing first.

Good luck with all your adventures, I will be watching your blog!!

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
#30 of 83 Old 06-25-2007, 08:21 PM

If you swing back to the midwest, I hope you'll come visit Rochelle, IL. I could really use your downsizing and decluttering expertise here. I'm beginning to think I really do need to pay someone to hold my hand through this process.

Have fun on the road!!! *super jealous smiley here*

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page