An Embarrassment of Riches - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 06-27-2007, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When you start getting rid of stuff, PM me. Seriously!

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 45 Old 06-27-2007, 06:57 PM

I would definitely do the TP thing. Lots of us mamas cook from scratch and can't always swing the kitchen stuff, esp. the good stuff! It sounds like you have a handle on it now, but I can imagine how overwhelming that must have been!
I think it is valid to point out, though, that it is fortunate that your husband's g-ma had good taste, even though she was excessive in her purchases. Now, instead of a bunch of cheap crappy kitchen stuff that would end up in the landfill shortly, you have a community resource! For you, your SIL, your dh's work, St Vinnie's, and possibly MDC mamas.

so many roads to ease my soul...

#33 of 45 Old 06-27-2007, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthea™ View Post
When you start getting rid of stuff, PM me. Seriously!
Me too! Please PM me or post a link here to the thread in the TP. We're heading to the U.P. sometime this month, I'd love to drive over and take the extras off your hands and support your fundraising efforts!

Good luck with the process!
Amanda
#34 of 45 Old 06-28-2007, 01:00 AM

that is awesome. definitly post a link to the tp when you decide to list it

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#35 of 45 Old 06-28-2007, 03:05 AM

How about posting a photo of all that lovely stuff just for us to drool over?

I still just think this is fabulous stuff to get. I can't believe you've weeded through it all already!!
#36 of 45 Old 06-28-2007, 08:45 PM

So I'm going to pm you my address and paypal you some money. You just send whatever you don't want right on to me! I will help you with your dilemma without charging you a dime.

I'm generous like that.

Candy, Mom to Matthew (5/02) and Ethan (10/07)

Trying for #3 starting 5/13

#37 of 45 Old 06-29-2007, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Another little update:

We have officially sorted pots and pans! Woo hoo! We have about a dozen that we are going to sell. The most expensive will be $20, the cheapest $5. They are mostly Caphalon, but there are also some Cuisinart pans.

They are REALLY heavy. On the big ones, the shipping will probably be at least as much as the price, on the smaller ones, more.

So, really, now knowing prices and all, do you ladies think it's worth it for me to list these on the TP, or should I just save them for the yard sale? The P.O. just raised their prices so the shipping is just killer.

Oh, and Amy, there are two stock pots in this lot, but neither are terribly tall. They are both pretty big, tho'.

Please let me know what you think, ladies!

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#38 of 45 Old 07-01-2007, 10:54 AM

Oooh! I just read your thread & I am so excited for you!

I think it would be worth a listing on the TP.

....however, I see you are in Ishpeming! I'm over in Grand Marais & I would love to see what you have if you are yard-saling or selling via TP as we'll be in Marquette in the coming weeks & months. : Will you PM me with a link if you post on the TP? Or let me know the date if you are having a yard sale?

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#39 of 45 Old 07-02-2007, 11:46 AM

Good for you for going through everything! After my father passed, my mom kept on shipping down boxes....probably 50 or so in a couple years. The sad thing is, most of it was JUNK : . A waste of postage. She was emotionally attatched and somehow sending it to us was easier for her.

Though, I finally did have to put my foot down. At that point, I had a baby AND was preggo. Didn't have a lot of time to go through things and didn't have a lot of space either.

Hope you have a killer garage sale . I could use a good bundt pan over here, but like you said...shipping is a killer!!! I love to cook and in particular bake. Sounds like GMIL did too. Though, irony is, I have the smallest kitchen of anyone I know who is in a 4 bedroom house. So, I am really picky though...don't have a lot of anything. BUT, I do have three waffle irons. But, waffles are my favorite breakfast out there and I USE THEM ALL! LOL :

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#40 of 45 Old 07-02-2007, 04:35 PM

Keep:
wooden table and chairs
grill for DH
sled- only if sledding is something you do
wagon
Kitchen Aid mixer- or sell it and use the money to buy a smaller one
Blender- only if it blends ice
Stock pot- get rid of other large pots you might have

sell or use to replace (not add to) what you already have AND WILL USE, keeping NO doubles:
copper double boiler with a ceramic insert
LeC turreen
Martha Stewart paste food colors
Bundt cake pans- I would sell all but the one with leaves, because it works well for any season and sounds pretty.
cupcake and muffin tins
sheet pans
Cooling racks
Springforms
Loaf pans
Pie plates
tart pans
casserole dishes
pans
dozen pots
Tupperware

I just don't know what I would do with so much stuff. Did they ask you if you wanted it? Will they care if you sell it?
#41 of 45 Old 07-02-2007, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

They better not care if we sell it! The pile in the garage is growing by the hour!

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#42 of 45 Old 07-02-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
Good for you for going through everything! After my father passed, my mom kept on shipping down boxes....probably 50 or so in a couple years. The sad thing is, most of it was JUNK : . A waste of postage. She was emotionally attatched and somehow sending it to us was easier for her.

Though, I finally did have to put my foot down. At that point, I had a baby AND was preggo. Didn't have a lot of time to go through things and didn't have a lot of space either.

Hope you have a killer garage sale . I could use a good bundt pan over here, but like you said...shipping is a killer!!! I love to cook and in particular bake. Sounds like GMIL did too. Though, irony is, I have the smallest kitchen of anyone I know who is in a 4 bedroom house. So, I am really picky though...don't have a lot of anything. BUT, I do have three waffle irons. But, waffles are my favorite breakfast out there and I USE THEM ALL! LOL :
I am guilty of giving things away that should probably be tossed because I am too attached to them. I tell the receiver (usually my sister) to toss whatever they don't want and I won't feel bad.

Three waffle irons sounds like a great idea. I can't bring myself to buy one because I know I'll be stuck in the kitchen cooking them while everyone else is eating and talking, etc. I don't want to be left out! But to have 3 going at once would be sooo efficient.
#43 of 45 Old 07-02-2007, 11:34 PM

I would love a bundt pan too. For monkey bread.

My ideal waffle maker would be one that would make three belgium waffles at once. I wish they weren't such a pain to store. (I have two, and one of them I don't even really like, because the squares are smaller and the waffle comes out thin and crunchier.)
#44 of 45 Old 07-04-2007, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmansions View Post
Three waffle irons sounds like a great idea. I can't bring myself to buy one because I know I'll be stuck in the kitchen cooking them while everyone else is eating and talking, etc. I don't want to be left out! But to have 3 going at once would be sooo efficient.
Incidentally, there's no reason why they can't wait until you're done with all the waffles. That is what I do. The most I use at one time is two (two outlets anyhow LOL). Maybe if I had more counterspace I could use them all at once. Usually I use our belgium waffle maker and Hello Kitty Waffle iron at the same time. They do store easily, on their sides, so don't take up much space. The kids are VERY enthusiastic about the hello kitty waffles. In fact, my DH bought the maker for my DD's birthday!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#45 of 45 Old 07-04-2007, 10:21 PM

i agree- sell what u can't use!

::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page