An Embarrassment of Riches - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-25-2007, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ILs came to visit. They brought with them an enclosed trailer stuffed to the gills with stuff for us. Really awesome, nice stuff for the most part.

A lovely little wooden table and chairs for DD, a grill for DH, a sled, a wagon, and 47 large boxes of kitchen stuff from DH's late grandmother.

GMIL loved to entertain, loved William-Sonoma, Cuisinart, All-Clad, Le Creuset, and Caphalon. GMIL sold real estate and was very good at it, made lots of money and liked to shop. She had impeccable, expensive taste.

Among the treasures they brought us are a professional silver Kitchen Aid mixer (with some attachments); a three inch thick crosscut maple cutting board from W-S, still in plastic; a gorgeous copper double boiler with a ceramic insert; a Cuisinart blender; a red enameled A-C stock pot; a LeC turreen; and a complete, unopened set of 24 Martha Stewart paste food colors.

There are also 14 (I kid you not, fourteen) Bundt cake pans, all in different shapes- hearts, flowers, stars, a rose, a cathedral, fall leaves, etc. Not to mention all the little cupcake and muffin tins of various shapes.

And sheet pan after sheet pan. Cooling racks. Springforms. Loaf pans, in every size. Pie plates, in every size. Half a dozen tart pans. As many casserole dishes. A dozen pans, a dozen pots. And a small refrigerator box completely stuffed full of Tupperware- no, not gladware, Tupperware, the name brand originator.

Much of this stuff is still in its original wrapping. All of it is like new.

While I am blown away by my ILs generosity and all the effort they put into bringing us thousands of dollars of stuff, my basement and garage are totally full. It is going to take me all summer to sift thru this stuff, and I am afraid it's going to be showdown after showdown with DH, who is not a packrat EXCEPT when it comes to kitchen stuff.

I am embarrassed for thinking any negative thoughts right now, when I should ONLY be praising our good fortune. Somebody talk some sense into me.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2007, 01:09 AM

E-bay for the stuff you dont want?

How thoughtful of them to give this stuff to you!

A Kitchen Aid
Old 06-25-2007, 01:49 AM

WOW, lucky girl! Remember the declutter golden rule...one of only those things you use, two if you use it a lot, three of an item is a crowd!
Happy sorting

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
Old 06-25-2007, 02:17 AM

Yowza! Even though well intentioned, I'd be pissed at someone doing that to me now (my basement is also packed to the gills)

I'd probably just swap out anything I was given that I own already but the new one is nicer and get rid of mine. And the things I think I want, I would keep packed and only if I take them out and use them by X day can I (or DH) keep them.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
Old 06-25-2007, 04:04 AM

OMG I love kitchen stuff too. 47 boxes!! I just can't imagine.

That said, I feel for you having to sort through it all. It's hard to decide what to keep and then how best to get rid of what you don't want.

Got any weddings coming up that you'll need gifts for? I'd save some of the NIB stuff for that.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:57 AM

I'd have a hayday going through it, but a lot of it would end up on ebay, I'm pretty sure. Take it slow and have fun. Is there something your dh has been wanting? I know mine would be really cooperative if I mentioned that some of the funds could go towards that new gadget that he wants.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:01 AM

I would love that chopping block! Also other stuff. I would pay for shipping too.

If you would use all this stuff now, by all means enjoy your good fortune. But if its going to sit in your garage, send it on its way to bless someone else's life.

I love WS so I could take some stuff off your hands.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 06-25-2007, 11:23 AM

What a windfall! I love, love, love kitchen stuff. I would have a hey-day.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:42 PM

Oh my goodness! Do you freezer cook? That would be a great use for all those casserole pans. I would sift through and keep what you want. The rest I would sell or the new ones you could even give as gifts. Did the ILs not want any of it? Do you have any family members that might want it?

I would be in heaven-and I don't even love to cook! We have a W-S outlet in my city and I just drool over their stuff.

How about any funds raised going towards a weekend away or a vacation? I think a PP mentioned something similiar. I understand your frustration, though. Tackle it a little bit at a time OR have a garage sale and do a bunch at a time (although you probably wouldn't get as much $$ out of it).

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

The ILs already took what they wanted. GMIL had that much kitchen stuff. She also had 2000 cookbooks.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:39 PM

: Dude, OP, can I BE you??? That's AWESOME! I'd sort CAREFULLY, gift the new things you can't use to gourmet friends (if you have them) and maybe ebay the rest and save the money, or spend it on wonderful organic ingredients to prepare with all of that lovely stuff! And thank your inlaws!

If I had a pile of cookware like that, I'd probably make a big pile in the kitchen and perch on top of it like a dragon with his horde.... but I'm a weirdo.

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:46 PM

The dilemma I'd have with tackling a little bit at a time is I wouldn't know what's in the next box, so I wouldn't be able to decide what to keep/pass on from the earlier box. I'd have to see it all, then decide - especially with such fabulous things.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:04 PM

Enjoy your blessings and what you don't want to keep, pass on to bless others! Good luck paring down the kitchen goods...my dh likes kitchen gadgets, too.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
Old 06-25-2007, 04:20 PM

I'm thinking serious yard sale!

Rent a few tables (here they are on the order of 5 bucks for a weekend each).

Bring the stuff out, go through it and price it at the same time. Run the ad and say in the ad that you're listing brand names (name them).

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 06-26-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibana View Post
: Dude, OP, can I BE you??? That's AWESOME! I'd sort CAREFULLY, gift the new things you can't use to gourmet friends (if you have them) and maybe ebay the rest and save the money, or spend it on wonderful organic ingredients to prepare with all of that lovely stuff! And thank your inlaws!

If I had a pile of cookware like that, I'd probably make a big pile in the kitchen and perch on top of it like a dragon with his horde.... but I'm a weirdo.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:42 AM

Maybe you can keep what you want and distribute the other stuff amongst all of us???

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
Old 06-26-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibana View Post
:rofl: omg roflmao! I haven't even read the rest of the replies...I got to hibana's and laughed so hard I had to post. Thanks for the great belly laugh Hibana, I really needed it

Leta- wow! wish I was in your shoes! Definitely replace your old beat up things with the new. Free cycle the old and welcome the bounty and be happy. Regift the duplicates.

Wow! I too love kitchen stuff and consider myself a gourmet/foodie. I personally don't think that this is a cause for being upset but rather joy. Let hubby keep the things that he wants. Is he the "chef" in your house? Chores/jobs/tasks are sooo much easier when you have the proper tools...and all of the things you listed are "tools" (well, for me anyway ) and make turning out awesome meals, deserts, ect. a breeze and fun. Can you imagine the looks on peoples faces when they come to your house and you treat them to a slice of cathdral spice cake? Love, love, love bundt pans...a good recipe, a little powedered sugar or simple icing and ta daa! They make an ordinary loaf cake into something really eye popping with no extra effort and your guests will feel very special that you "went all out" just for them.

ok, going back to read the rest of the posts now
Old 06-26-2007, 10:47 AM

Wow!!! OP!

No kidding though, I am thinking Holy YardSale Batman!

Steph
Old 06-26-2007, 05:43 PM

Wowzers... Lucky you have IL like that...>!!! I would sell what I wont be using.... When my DH grandma passed away we got two xmas decoration things that were dated like 1950's and a candy bowl...
Old 06-26-2007, 06:11 PM

Wow, I can understand how overwhelming something like that would be! Especially when it is sittin gin a pile in your bacement!

One idea, for the bundt pans. I inherated a bunch from my grandmother. I simply didn't have room for them all but didn't want to part with them.

I ended up hanging them on the wall in a big group as art. It's really beautiful and I can take them down and use them (after a quick wash) if I want to. Each one get's used about once a year- The fall leaves at thanksgiving ect.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
Old 06-26-2007, 07:29 PM

I can sympathize with you - really.

Honestly, it sounds like G'ma may have had some compulsive kitchen gadget problem. It doesn't matter if she could afford it - but what drives someone to consume, consume, consume? "Wow? A bundt cake pan I don't have. Someday I might have a castle-themed medieval party and I'd sure be disappointed if I didn't have a bundt cake pan for it!"

It doesn't really sound like the mark of an emotionally healthy person - and I'm sorry to speak ill of your dear departed...

I just keep thinking - a trailer?! I mean, I would SH@* if someone brought me a TRAILER for a stuff for my house. Doesn't matter if it was "good stuff" or junk. Where could I possibly put a TRAILER full of stuff in my already overflowing house?

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:14 AM

I was also thinking along that line.
But then I thought, hey I am looking for a good tall stockpot and if you have this amoungst your embarrsment, talk to me baby! : :

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 06-27-2007, 01:19 AM

What I'd be doing is replacing all your older pans/cutting boards/baking pans, etc. with all this wonderful, new, nice stuff.

Otherwise, I completely with everyone else - sort carefully and keep what you love. What a great windfall!!

Shannon & Paul...married since 2000. Parents to Alexander Paul Martin - 30 October, 2003 Grace Elizabeth Maile - 12 June, 2009
Old 06-27-2007, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, for a little update:

SIL is here, and tonight she picked thru and filled a tall box (actually that little refrigerator box) full of stuff that she wanted.

I put all the bakeware in three Rubbermaid totes (!!) and stuck it in the basement for DH to go thru later, as most of it is once-a-year-holiday type stuff.

I rinsed off all the pots and pans and casserole dishes, and made room for them on our groaning shelves and cabinets.

I made a yard sale box of tatty old things of ours, and multiples of the new stuff.

There is one big box of stuff to keep but that needs to be organized, and one big box of stuff to be sorted yet.

So I've made a lot of progress.

Some funny stuff: In the boxes there were FOUR heavy duty, high quality ice cream scoops, three heavy duty, high quality garlic presses, at least five heart shaped muffin tins in varying styles, and three really odd pans that I thought must be just a part of some other bakeware item until SIL explained to me that are pans to make muffin tops. Not muffins, just muffin tops. :

There were also two food mills, one still in the box, two vacuum wine sealers, and two meat grinders. And, I kid you not, eight fruit corers and sixteen bamboo spoons, most of which were still in plastic.

This is not even a third of the stuff she had.

And yes, it really is a trailer full of stuff (it's 8' x 6', actually).

And yes, according to her son and granddaughter, GMIL would often go the Cupboard just to entertain herself, and often forgot what she had (or couldn't find it) and would just buy another.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:17 AM

I found myself in this situation when my mom died and left me a 3 bedroom house full of stuff.
Remember that this was alot of your grandmother's life; I suggest keeping a few things that you may have emotional ties to; maybe a serving platter that was used at family holidays, or possibly things you might like to save as special things to pass on to your children from great grandma for when they start their own kitchens in their own homes.

I know this is not the best idea for decluttering; but when you get rid of all of a loved ones things; you cant get them back and its nice to keep a few reminders. Ahh, memories.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

Old 06-27-2007, 04:57 AM

I can relate to being a little ticked off about someone bringing a TRAILER of stuff.... the audacity to make me have to sort, decide, etc., etc. But at least it is a windfall of completely wonderful stuff I am so envious! You've made a lot of progress in a short time, good for you!!

Does sound like GMIL had a bit of a compulsion... but at least it is nice stuff (not old magazines or something) from which you can benefit and then with the extras sell or otherwise pass on to others who will value and use it. Cool beans!
Old 06-27-2007, 06:10 AM

Could you donate some of it to Habitat for Humanity? My first thought was EBAY but I bet someone would really appreciate at least one of those bundt pans~
Old 06-27-2007, 09:58 AM

Wow, what an incredible windfall you had. Sounds great on the progress. I ADORE kitchen items, as I'm a huge cook. I couldn't imagine.
Kara
Old 06-27-2007, 07:07 PM

I also thought of a local cooking school might need some stuff??? Maybe the community college program could use it??

I of course need a tall stockpot, ice cream scoop, meat grinder, ......not that I am hinting....

Old 06-27-2007, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Ha Ha, Amy. If you want to pay the shipping, I'll send you an ice cream scoop. The nicest one weighs a ton, tho', so be prepared.

As for the other stuff, I have to wait until I get DH's approval, since he is the chef around here. We are planning on going thru stuff together tommorow and Friday.

DH actually works as a baker at the nearby university that has a big cooking program (he works with the interns) and he is planning on taking some stuff to work.

Then, we are going to have a yard sale and use at least part of the proceeds to ship SIL's giant box home to her in Alaska.

Whatever is left over, we are going to donate to Vinnie's.

So at least we have a plan. If I get any more interest on this thread, I may post some stuff over in the Trading Post, once we have determined what we're keeping and what is leftovers.

User Tag List