I just moved in. Support Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 06-25-2007, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So we have the moving support thread which I was in until last week when I moved!

So now here I am. I have double, triple the space I had?? Even though the home we bought is bigger, not much but a totally different space so it seems HUGE to me.

Funny though, people come over and see how we are redoing almost the entire house and some say- why dont you add on here and build another this or that. Why do I need more space?????? :

We are/have, ripping out two walls for a open space on the main floor. We took down a wall w a fireplace and now the 5th tiny bedroom will be part of the living room. We also ripped out the kitchen wall so its a large great space and very open. We are putting in our new kitchen this week.

So whether you have more space, less space, lots to unpack, lots to organize, realize the space is different and what worked in your old place dosent now, share.

Thanks for joining!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 06-25-2007, 10:52 AM

Oh wow, you've been busy.

I am still working on getting our new place (been here 3 yrs) to how I want it. Each year that goes by makes me realize I want this here and that there and I have to move stuff.

When I worked out of home, I never noticed the placement of things but now that I am home, stuff drives me nuts. Plus we are homeschooling, so I need to have space set for that. And I feel like our living environment isn't conduscive (sp?) to our learning environment, so i want to make some changes.

Take it one box and one spot at a time. I know I had a general idea of what I wanted for each room but over time, I found it overwhelming to try and do the room all at once. So I created a file folder of ideas and kept referring back to that.

All in all, I love our slightly bigger space. It is laid out better (sounds like yours is or will be nice and open) and more family friendly.

Hang in there and post when you get fustrated or need a break.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#3 of 20 Old 06-25-2007, 12:41 PM

My friends and family consider me weird because I love to unpack. Packing up I can take or leave, but unpacking is so fun! I love to open an empty cabinet or closet and figure out where everything is going to go.

It's once it's all been there awhile and is getting cluttery that I have trouble...

Too bad I no longer live in Chicago, or I'd come help ya!
#4 of 20 Old 06-25-2007, 01:57 PM

I love packing AND unpacking.

I'll be able to "officially" join this group on Thursday. That's the day we're beginning our move. We're downsizing, because we were in a house that was far too large for us. Living in our new place will allow us to pay off student loans faster, and save for a house of our own.

I'm looking foward to the challenge of making all of our possesions fit into our tiny new home. It's also the perfect opportunity to downsize to only the pieces of furniture and objects that we LOVE. I'm excited.
#5 of 20 Old 06-25-2007, 02:36 PM

Oh, I definitely belong with this thread! We just moved across the country and although we moved out of the last house May 31, we weren't actually able to really start moving into our new house until Mid-June because we were having the floors refinished. Then we had a week of DH working and me trying to get things moved in/unpacked/settled, and then I left and went to Michigan to help out with a family crisis for a week. Just got back last night and then DH is leaving Wednesday for a work-related trip and not returning until Sunday. So I feel like it is taking a heck of a long time to get really settled in! And of course for every item I put away in a drawer (clothing for example) the toddler DD gets two more out!!! Now it's not only not-unpacked, but it's kind of dirty too!! Aack!
#6 of 20 Old 06-25-2007, 07:26 PM

This is definitely us too! In 2001, we bought what was originally a 540 square foot NYC apartment with 12 foot or so ceilings. A previous owner had added a sleep loft (about 100-150 square feet) with 5 foot high ceilings and accessed by a ladder. After a year of paperwork shuffling (I now despise the NYC Landmarks dept), we started a renovation March 1st and just last Tuesday moved back in. Now we have...

*a new kitchen, which is part of the living room/living space
*stairs to replace the ladder to the loft, with storage cabinets and drawers beneath
*a "Harry Potter" bedroom for dh and I (It's under the stairs, and the door looks like one of the stair cabinets). It is literally the size of the Queen size bed, with a built in bookshelf recessed into the wall for our alarm clocks, etc. Hey, I won't worry about the new baby falling out of bed when cosleeping!

However, the renovation is not done (we moved back partly because we didn't want to impose any longer on the friends we were staying with, nor pay for rental housing any longer). So we have no

*kitchen counter
*kitchen sink
*water in the kitchen for the sink, fridge, or washer/dryer
*drawer pulls on anything, kitchen or stair cabinets (our fault, we didn't order them until recently)
*wall for the loft (Translucent, lets in light, but not noise. It's supposed to be here tomorrow. Hopefully it'll be the right size this time )
*handrail for the stairs
*wardrobe to put clothes in (well, we have it, technically, it's sitting in the back of my Dad's truck until dh gets a friend to help him haul it up to the apt)

Bah. I love the apartment. I love how it will be when it's finished. I love that I can now see that it will get done. I HATE digging through boxes to find clothes every morning, washing dishes in the bathroom sink, dd sleeping on the couch (the loft will be her bedroom when it has a wall!), and trying to open kitchen cabinets with no pulls. On the other hand, coming home and discovering what new thing got done today is great!

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#7 of 20 Old 06-26-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post

We are/have, ripping out two walls for a open space on the main floor. We took down a wall w a fireplace and now the 5th tiny bedroom will be part of the living room. We also ripped out the kitchen wall so its a large great space and very open. We are putting in our new kitchen this week.

So whether you have more space, less space, lots to unpack, lots to organize, realize the space is different and what worked in your old place dosent now, share.

Thanks for joining!
Your place sounds great! I love an open floor plan!

I thought about joining the moving support thread, but I was too busy moving We found out my husband was getting a job transfer two weeks before he started at the new location. And he was out of town for the first week of those two weeks. So I was basically on my own to get everything ready with a 2 year old and a 9 month old keeping me busy too!

Anyway, I looove my new place. We downsized from a 4 bedroom house to a 3 bedroom apartment. That may not sound that much different, but we lost a huge attic, full basement, breezeway, and garage. Plus the rooms are smaller so we had to get rid of a lot of furniture that wouldn't fit. The old place was a cute bungalow with lots of character. And lots of work always needing to be done on it : The new place is in a brand new complex and has a wonderful open floorplan. And everything is on one floor... much easier with kiddos who want to be wherever I am.

Now if I can just get dh to get rid of enough crap so we can get rid of the storage space...
#8 of 20 Old 06-26-2007, 06:49 PM

I'm semi-nomadic.

I have a home in Alaska (we just moved into a new teacher housing unit before we left... our stuff is up there), and we're renting for the summer.

Our house wasn't ready, so the landlords gave us a place to stay, free of charge. We've been here for... *checks calendar* 25 days. Free, yes, but we're also not unpacked.

Supposedly tomorrow we're moving into the place that we'll stay in until heading back up to AK on August 15th. Almost doesn't seem worth it to unpack THERE... it's only going to be a month and a half.

Back in AK, we have a two-bedroom home waiting for us. We're about 75% unpacked there. We only moved from the crappy studio apartment that used to be a Bureau of Indian Affairs classroom. We can see in our old window from our current living room window.

I guess I'm kind of in a perpetual state of moving.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#9 of 20 Old 06-28-2007, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

yikes and I thought I was toughing it out!

The good news, our new upstairs is great place to "live" while the remodeling it being done. But it will be sooner than later so we can handle it.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#10 of 20 Old 06-28-2007, 03:09 PM

We moved over Father's Day weekend. We're still settling in of course. The home is smaller than our last place, but it's actually a huge weight off of my shoulders. Less to clean, more to rid of as we don't have enough space for JUNK anymore.

We rent though, so no tearing anything down. But the place was fully remodeled before we moved in. So I feel like a hawk when it comes to the kids. It feels and smells like a brand new house, so I am just wanting to keep it that way. Right... :P

I'm finding it difficult to unpack DH's stuff. He has a lot of computer and tool stuff. And it's just difficult because he's still decluttering as he goes.. so I don't know what to toss and what to keep. Nor where it goes, of course! So we still have plenty of boxes out in the garage. But I can only expect DH to do so much while working so many hours during the week. :/

We have lists - what we need to buy eventually, what we want to do around the house, what chores need done (like power washing certain outside toys and such, not everyday chores).
#11 of 20 Old 06-28-2007, 04:39 PM

Ohh I need this thread! I moved in here on the 5th, but I still haven't totally unpacked. The space is smaller, plus I went from 2 bedrooms to 1, so that has been tricky. And I'm not planning on staying here, I think I am looking for a different place (it's really, really loud ALL the time- it's been really frustrating with a LO!) as soon as I find one.

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#12 of 20 Old 07-02-2007, 12:54 AM

If only my camera battery was charged, I could take a photo of the chaos that is my home. : DH and I have moved 4 times in the past 6 years, and I have to say that this has been the most difficult move by far. We're used to "upgrading" each time we move. We've moved to progressivly larger and larger homes as the years went on. This is the first time we've moved somewhere smaller, and I didn't realize it'd be so....crowded. We have no room to maneuver while unpacking. I'm sitting crammed in the corner, typing away and there are walls of boxes all around me. It's insanity and I'm just so freaking overwhelmed!

We did manage to get the kids' room all unpacked and set up. Of course, I'm stressing about a missing box... I hope it turns up.

Oh, and it doesn't help that the freaking garbage bin for the apartment building is LOCKED on the weekend....so there are 3 or 4 garbage bags sitting in the middle of the room, along with an old broken air conditioner that the landlord left here for us to deal with. It's impossible to set up the living room/dining area with all of this CRAP. ARGH! And it's a long weekend (for Canada Day), so we can't dispose of this trash until Tuesday. :
#13 of 20 Old 07-02-2007, 02:33 PM

We have drawer pulls and door handles in the kitchen! And my wardrobe is up. And all the boxes that were crowding the hallway are unpacked!

Kitchen countertop (and with it, kitchen sink) are still being made. And the contractor discovered we're still missing parts for the translucent wall for dd's loft bedroom. So she'll be on the couch a little longer. Oh well, she likes it there and I don't have to worry about her coming down the stairs by herself in the morning yet. Ah yes, and we discovered the living room cable doesn't work (doesn't matter much right now, since we only plan to have a TV in dh and my bedroom to make it less in the 3 year old's play zone; but someday we will sell, and they'll probably want cable in the LR). And the microwave makes a gigantic racket. I think it needs something between it and the cabinet above to keep them from banging against each other?

#14 of 20 Old 07-02-2007, 07:09 PM

We're not moving till the middle of the month but I'm hoping to get some great ideas and motivation for the future unpacking...my head is already spinning at how much there is left to do! It was challenging enough to get everything packed up....and showing a house with 2 little ones, not sure how I'm going to get it all unpacked :
#15 of 20 Old 07-02-2007, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomom View Post
We're not moving till the middle of the month but I'm hoping to get some great ideas and motivation for the future unpacking...my head is already spinning at how much there is left to do! It was challenging enough to get everything packed up....and showing a house with 2 little ones, not sure how I'm going to get it all unpacked :
yeah that! its a slow process

#16 of 20 Old 07-02-2007, 11:57 PM

We just moved a week ago. I don't have any of my books on shelves yet and it's driving me batty. I managed to find my favorite cookbooks so those are tiding me over. The kitchen is a hodgepodge because I have so much room I'm not sure where to put what, so we are going to just live with it and figure out what needs to be moved. The garage is a mess of boxes and so is the spare bedroom and dining room.
#17 of 20 Old 07-03-2007, 03:34 AM

I moved in Feb, got our home assigned in March and got our household good delivered in March. I'm STILL unpacking!! Only a few more boxes and then I might paint a room or two and lastly, put up some pictures on the wall.

We are here 3 years, so part of me doesn't really want to dig in too deep, because whatever I do to the house I have to undo when we leave, LOL!!

This is house #5 for DD6!!! (and #3 for DS4!). So, we move a lot! I do actually like it but sometimes it gets overwhelming, especially with little people under foot and DH not around to help.

The first thing I always unpack (after pushing the furniture into the appropriate places) is the kitchen, because I swear that is the bulk of the boxes!
#18 of 20 Old 07-05-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
I would love to see pictures of what you are doing! We didn't end up buying the original house that we were looking at, but we found another fixer-upper and will be moving in 7/28, so i will be joining you over here in 23 days.

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
#19 of 20 Old 07-06-2007, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

I am taking photos and will have a montage soon to link.

#20 of 20 Old 07-06-2007, 11:53 PM

Right this minute I'm feeling very depressed about our apartment. The countertop is still missing, even though it was supposed to go in this week. We have MIL and SFIL here tomorrow from all the way across the country, and it's just in no state for guests.

There are 6 boxes I want to get through tonight/tomorrow before they arrive. That will put everything unpacked except our bookshelves, and those boxes are sitting on the bookshelf cabinets, so they're fairly out of the way. And I'm trying to convince dh to put the pile of stuff to sell/freecycle (old shelves, old vacuum, old clothes) into dd's bedroom since it's still unusable. He wants to keep the sale pile behind the couch (I actually think it ought to just go out to the trash and forget trying to sell it, but he's stubborn and freaked about money, hence in no state to get rid of saleable stuff). Her room is unusable b/c DH forgot to buy a part needed for the loft wall, so it'll be that way for at least another week. Ugh.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page