What to do with barely used girl's underwear? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-25-2007, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Last year, before camp, my Mom went kind of overboard on buying underwear for the girls. Unfortunately, I opened the packages and labeled each item before realizing they weren't exactly what DD wanted, so they couldn't be returned. We ended up with about 40 pair of girl's underwear in size 14. Some of them got worn, but most haven't been- even the ones that have been labeled with DD's name.

DD2 can now wear a size 14 as well, but she also doesn't like the briefs that were purchased last year. There are about a dozen in her drawer, but she never wears them anyway.

So, now that I've bought my girls new undies that they actually wear, what can I do with all this underwear? Some of it is "gently used" but most of it has MAYBE been worn once- some were just prewashed and never actually used- but of course I can't figure out which pairs have been worn and which pairs have only been washed.

So, do I have to trash these or might somebody actually use these?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#2 of 10 Old 06-25-2007, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our local Value Village sometimes has underware for sale - you could donate it. Also, check with any local women's shelters. They may accept underware donations.
#3 of 10 Old 06-25-2007, 09:46 PM

I'm sure somebody here on MDC would take them FFS. I've seen used mama pads, DIVA cups, and of course cloth dipes for sale.
#4 of 10 Old 06-25-2007, 09:48 PM

Do you know someone, who would like hand me downs? In my circle of friends even underwear is ok as hand me downs, if not too bad. Though our kids are younger 3-5. So maybe it is different.

Just a thought.
#5 of 10 Old 06-25-2007, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, there IS something different with handing down underwear after puberty has started. It's just not the same thing as cloth diapers or underwear for little kids.

#6 of 10 Old 06-25-2007, 09:52 PM

If I lived near enough, I'd take them off your hands. DD1 will be in a 14 before i know it!!
#7 of 10 Old 06-25-2007, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthy Mama View Post
If I lived near enough, I'd take them off your hands. DD1 will be in a 14 before i know it!!
But will she still want to wear briefs when she gets to that size? Neither of my girls are comfy in briefs anymore- DD1 wants lowcut undies to fit under her low waistbands, and DD2 can't stand the elastic on her legs anymore. As their shapes are changing, things fit differently.

#8 of 10 Old 06-25-2007, 10:12 PM

I was just thinking that some people would not be opposed to used underware - I think it is a personal thing. Some are yucked out and some people are ok to wash them in hot water a few times. Plus, if you give a good deal, those in tight money situations will appreciate not having to spend $8 for 4-6 pair of undies. I like the FFS suggestion
#9 of 10 Old 06-26-2007, 04:01 PM

Donate them or pass them on to someone. I was thrilled to get a huge bag of underwear when DD1 was transitioning from dipes to panties. Didn't have to buy any for years. I just washed 'em in hot. Doesn't bug me at all.

Now, I don't think I would accept used adult underwear. That's on the gross end of the scale. But kids? Sure.

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#10 of 10 Old 06-26-2007, 04:20 PM

The food pantry and homeless shelters where I work accept used underwear, especially if they're in good condition like yours. You'd be amazed how many people don't have any underwear.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page