musty smell in basement - baking soda for carpet? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-26-2007, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My basement smells so damp and musty and I was thinking of sprinkling baking soda on the carpet down there then vacuuming it the next day. That won't hurt the carpet any, will it? Might it help?

Let me know if you've tried it and how it turned out.

Thanks!
Tracy

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#2 of 15 Old 06-26-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wugmama View Post
My basement smells so damp and musty and I was thinking of sprinkling baking soda on the carpet down there then vacuuming it the next day. That won't hurt the carpet any, will it? Might it help?

Thanks!
Tracy

The baking soda won't hurt the carpet. If it smells damp and musty you should get a dehumidifier. That way the carpet and whatever else you have down there won't get damp and musty.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#3 of 15 Old 06-26-2007, 06:02 PM

We had to get a dehumidifier for our basement. Unfortunately other short term fixes didn't work. We usually just have to run it in the summer.
#4 of 15 Old 06-26-2007, 11:35 PM

Same here with the dehumidifier.
#5 of 15 Old 06-27-2007, 12:57 AM

Quote:

Thanks!
Tracy
It won't hurt, but it won't help.

It is useless to try to absorb odors if you haven't eliminated their source first. Basements should not be humid and musty, so you have a ventilation problem down there. If you want a dry odorless basement, you'll have to fix that first.

Then dehumidify, and the odor will eventually just go away. I'd probably steam clean the carpet before dehumidifying as well.
#6 of 15 Old 06-27-2007, 10:26 AM

What everyone above said + open bowls of vinegar are great for absorbing musty smells in general.
#7 of 15 Old 06-27-2007, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

We actually did just get a dehumidifier. And boy it fills up and hits automatic shut off in less than 24 hours, that is how damp it is down there. Hopefully as we keep running that it will help.

Thanks,
Tracy

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#8 of 15 Old 06-27-2007, 09:50 PM

One other thought:

Spritzing the carpet and air with a vinegar/EO solution helped us some as well.
#9 of 15 Old 06-27-2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:
We actually did just get a dehumidifier. And boy it fills up and hits automatic shut off in less than 24 hours, that is how damp it is down there. Hopefully as we keep running that it will help.
This is not normal, and I'd definitely get a building inspector in there before your house starts to fall apart. That amount of moisture can't possibly be good for your foundation or subfloor.

The dehumidifier might hide the odor, but the odor isn't your real problem. This is one of those things that might cost $100 to fix now, or $50,000 to fix after two years of neglect.
#10 of 15 Old 06-27-2007, 09:57 PM

Read the book My House is Killing Me! It'll give you lots of ideas on how to figure out why your basement is damp and smells musty. Musty=mold. You probably shouldn't have carpet in a basement unless it's supported so it's not against the concrete.

Here's a link to that book. I got it from the local library.
http://www.amazon.com/My-House-Killi...2991877&sr=8-2

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#11 of 15 Old 06-28-2007, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snv1492 View Post
This is not normal, and I'd definitely get a building inspector in there before your house starts to fall apart. That amount of moisture can't possibly be good for your foundation or subfloor.

The dehumidifier might hide the odor, but the odor isn't your real problem. This is one of those things that might cost $100 to fix now, or $50,000 to fix after two years of neglect.
Along this vein, what could you possibly do in your basement that would control the humidity that would be relatively low cost? I don't even know what the options are...It just seems like whatever it is would be very expensive.

Mama to 14yo, 9yo, 7yo, and babe born 9/2012
#12 of 15 Old 06-28-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Thanks,
Tracy
Just a thought, to avoid the automatic shut-off....can you let your dehumidifier empty into an indoor drain? This is how ours is set up. It's so nice to be able to set it up and then forget about it completely.
#13 of 15 Old 06-28-2007, 10:31 AM

We do as the PP said.. We have ours go into our washer drains... So we dont have to empty.. And it really only runs during the summer when its humid out..
#14 of 15 Old 06-28-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midstreammama View Post
Along this vein, what could you possibly do in your basement that would control the humidity that would be relatively low cost? I don't even know what the options are...It just seems like whatever it is would be very expensive.
A damp basement is usually caused by either leaky plumbing, a crack in the foundation, poor ventilation, or possibly inadequate insulation. Moisture does not just appear in basements for no reason.

You can usually tell a leaky pipe or crack pretty easily, so in most cases, if you can't see the source of the water it is due to poor ventilation or insulation.

Something as simple as installing an exhaust fan could solve the problem with very little cost.

If the problem is a leaky pipe or cracked foundation, then you just have to bite the bullet and pay whatever it takes to get it fixed.

Either way, this is a Bob Villa repair job, not a Martha Stewart repair job. It's going to cost more than a box of baking soda and will more than likely involve power tools.
#15 of 15 Old 06-28-2007, 10:30 PM

It's also possible that the basement gets damp because in the summer the air is more humid. The bare, uninsulated walls of the basement are still cool, so water condenses a bit on them. That's our situation, and that's why we use the dehumidifier. Until the basement is finished and those concrete walls are insulated and covered, we'll have to dehumidify when it's humid out.

I agree that you do need to find out why it's so damp, but I wanted to throw out that it's not necessarily a big house problem like a crack.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page