Anyone decluttering/simplifying hobbies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-29-2007, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I have way too many hobbies to try and keep up with/really enjoy. In the past I have done cross-stitching, rubber stamping/card making, and scrapbooking (hopelessly behind). I have a sewing machine and want to learn how to sew. I also would like to learn to knit and would like to have a small garden. I also play the clarinet and teach music lessons. And I really want to learn how to speak and understand more Russian. And we are homeschooling! There is not enough time to do it all!!!! I think I have decided to get rid of/sell all the rubber stamps/card making material and start just putting pictures in albums again and get rid of all those idea books and magazines and supplies that just cause guilt. I want to keep a reasonable amount of cross-stitch stuff because I can do that in the car on trips and I find it relaxing. Maybe then I can get the sewing machine out of the box and feel motivated to start a small garden. I'll still play my instrument and teach lessons and listen to language tapes in the car.

Is anyone else plannning on simplifying their hobbies? Which ones are you keeping and which ones are you saying goodbye too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2007, 02:14 AM

Oh my goodness, I was just thinking about this today. I simply do not have time to "master" everything I want to, in this lifetime. Currently I am:

-sewing
-quilting
-card making
-digital arts
-photography
-playing guitar
-playing piano
-jogging (well...working on it)
-clothes making
-doing web design
-....i'm sure there's more.

These are all hobbies I want to get really really good at. But when the heck will I have time for all of this?

I guess I need to sit down and prioritize, and say goodbye to the hobbies that I don't get a huge amount of joy out of. Or that I have no chance of ever being really really good at (like, uh...singing. )
Old 06-29-2007, 02:33 AM

I need SO much help in this area...I don't even know where to start! I have a ton of things I want to do and hope to have the time someday. We're in the process of trying to move so I'm trying to organize what I have and hope that when I am putting it away in the new place I'll really give it the "do I really need this?" I was hoping to do that before packing and moving it but because of circumstances outside our control my leisurely packing and declutter as you go just hasn't worked as well as I planned I'm getting rid of the obvious things but not nearly as much as I need to be

I have scrapbook stuff, beading stuff, stamps, knitting stuff and TONS of random things...oh and tons of fabric, would love to sew a quilt someday- just purchased a bunch of dyes for shirts I want to stencil, and wool I want to dye the list goes non and on but the number of hours in a day seem to get shorter and shorter :

Watching for some great suggestions
Old 06-29-2007, 10:29 AM

Same here! I flit from one to another, not mastering anything and getting disappointed ... but I still want to do it all. I think first of all I'm coveting other people's crafting talent, lol. We are homeschooling too, so I rationalize that I need it all to help teach my four daugters how to be crafty. (those who can't do, teach, right? )

I *did* declutter my scrapbooking stuff because it brought me little to no real enjoyment - and I went to digital scrapbooking. Much less cluttery, especially when I don't make many pages.

I think all this reflect the state of my mind most of the time - racing around and never satisfied with one thing - I need to work on that! Maybe then I'll be happy just doing one or two things.

Amy
Mom of 5 under 13
Old 06-29-2007, 07:30 PM

Yes! I am really trying. I finally got rid of the cross stich stuff I didn't like anyways, and just kept one that I actually wanted to frame for my bathroom. I got rid of material that I knew I wouldn't use as well. I still have two long drawers full of craft supplies, and an apple box full of denims. I want to make a denim quilt with those, so I refuse to get rid of them.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:05 AM

Yes! Right now I have supplies for the following hobbies....

- scrapbooking (very VERY behind)
- rubber stamping
- crochet
- sewing

Also we are getting into....

- gardening (bought our house from an avid gardener - trying to at least maintain things, would like to to veggies in the future)
- interior painting/minor home renovations as needed

With the first four, I thought I would get rid of the rubber stamping stuff because I enjoy the others more and feel like the end product isn't as practical/useful. It is mostly still sitting there. I gave a few stamps to friends who really loved particular items. But now I am realizing that buying cards can also be costly - so I am thinking of keeping some supplies around after all.

Crochet takes up the least space as I never keep much of a yarn stash around. It is the best portable craft too. The Sewing stuff will stay as I want to make curtains for the house, dresses for DD and diapers for future babies. I enjoy making simple quilts/blankets too. The scrapbooking - eh - it's fun but I think I will go the Snapfish memory book route in the near future.

My big thing right now is that I just don't do any of it. A large part of the problem is that when we moved here last fall, I decided to store that stuff in the second closet of our master bedroom. The problem is that the best time for me to do crafts is after DD (19 months) is in bed for the evening - in our bedroom. I can't get to the supplies without disturbing her. We are almost finished painting our guestroom and when that is done I am moving the craft stuff to that closet - and setting the card table up for a work space. I'm actually rather excited about it!
Old 06-30-2007, 01:21 AM

I am set up to sew, have tons of yarn and fabric dyes/paints. I'm also a big baker and reader.

I don't have time for it all. I satiate my baking urges by volunteering to bring dessert everywhere. I have devoted myself to knitting down my stash and then only buying yarn with a project in mind. Same for my fabric. In a year or two I hope to cut down on all my fabric and yarn- I want it to fit in a small space, perhaps a small shelf in the closet.

Dyeing fabrics is my newest hobby. I haven't figured out what to do about that (yet). At least it is primarily contained to one bucket- I store all my dyeing chemicals in there.

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!
Old 06-30-2007, 01:33 AM

I was starting to go batty from all the supplies around from various hobbies. I'm finding though, after several years, is that my hobbies rotate seasonally. Like I read a lot in the spring, in the fall I love to crochet. Summertime is beadwork and painting. Winter is usually home decorating/planning.

So now i'm following those moods, organizing/storing things appropriately, so when the wind shifts, I get out the different supplies.

User Tag List